What would be the ideal Commander?

AzuraBlackcoin.1809

Let's say that there was a Guild Wars 2 The Movie, what would be the ideal race, status, story arc, pact and profession/specialization?

I would say, human, maybe Noble? Because you interact with Lord Farhen later in the story. Warrior, kinda like most heroes are in stories. Choose maybe either Balthazar or Kormir as god blessing. Dead sister, no helmet.

Its hard to say, the idea of please all crowds making the hero very blank slate, created a big problem if one day they think about make a movie or something. a cheap "shotcut" will make a team-based history 1 of every race/any sort of variations(like gender) something like the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" or Power Rangers, but this will shorten a lot screening time for famous allied NPCs.

....or make a movie with Rytlock as main protagonist, lolz.

@AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:

@"Abraxxus.8971" said:There probably wouldn't be a commander. It would most likely follow a group composed of the main NPCs.

Good luck fitting Aurene into the story without her champion.

Well, I mean... Caithe.

I'd probably agree with Abraxxus, because every storyline feels like the focus is on a different "race commander". PS, S2, and HoT felt more inclined towards sylvari. S3, PoF, and S4 felt more inclined towards human. S1 was rather mixed (more dependent on the release than the whole - but I can easily see a focus streamlined to norn/charr+human). While Icebrood Saga is inclined towards norn or charr.

If one were turn the plot of GW2 as close to 1:1 as feasible into a show or movie, I feel like we'd have 3 or 5 Commanders, one being "the chosen one" during each set of plots, but all three / five contributing the entire time.

I personally headcanon that there are three "original Pact Commander"s, one from each Order, who first met during Setting the Stage (tentatively) and got together at Claw Island when losing their mentor. Using ANet's trailers, two would be Anja and Duncan as "canon Commanders". And probably some unmentioned sylvari Commander.

I would say Charr, because their military experience would be very important to lead the military operations. Charr is the only one PC that's a trained soldier. Human? Nah. Asura? Another scientist. Sylvari? Just woke up and don't know the world. Norn? Hunter, but for sure a fighter. Norn would be good too.Probably Ash, because Ash soldiers can fight, can infiltrate, manipulate and get useful information. They know how to kill an enemy and when to strike.Class: The commander would be a part of his squad where everyone is different and Dragon's Watch has a: revenant (Rytlock), mesmer (Kasmeer), necromancer (Marjory), engineer (Taimi), guardian (Braham), ranger (Rox). What's left is: warrior, thief, elementalist. Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe. I think this party needs a mage, so the commander would be an elementalist.For the story: obviously the commander should join the Whispers or Priory, because movie characters are mostly individuals.

• Haha 1

@"Antycypator.9874" said:Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe.Canach definitely is as of Path of Fire. He even says that he'd join because he was getting bored.

I would also argue Caithe is also a member, just more focused on missions involving Aurene. Logan can be considered an honorary member, at the very least. Dragon's Watch in general seems to be "surviving Destiny's Edge members + the biconics".

Also, are we really sure Taimi's an engineer? I don't think she ever uses engineer skills - Scruffy does all the combat for her as far as we've seen. She's just a generic golemancer. Gorrik, who seems to have joined Dragon's Watch, does use Holomancer skills though.

Rox has also seemingly left Dragon's Watch as of the end of S4.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Antycypator.9874" said:Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe.Canach definitely is as of Path of Fire. He even says that he'd join because he was getting bored.Canach is not officially part of DW, he said he'd 'join us' as in hang out with us, not as an official member of the group. I asked about this last year because his growing presence since PoF had made me wonder as well. The answer was "
."

@foozlesprite.8051 said:

@"Antycypator.9874" said:Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe.Canach definitely is as of Path of Fire. He even says that he'd join because he was getting bored.Canach is not officially part of DW, he said he'd 'join us' as in hang out with us, not as an official member of the group. I asked about this last year because his growing presence since PoF had made me wonder as well. The answer was "
."

Yes, that's why he literally never left the Commander and/or Rytlokc's side the entire time we've been in Elona.

I consider that, even if he doesn't want to admit it, as being part of the group.

Male Sylvari Warrior. Born during the Cycle of Noon. Vanquisher of the Green Knight. Believes that he must act with wisdom, but act.Reasons:Uncorruptable during Zhaitan's storyline and also have the most interactions with Trahearne.Tempered, Tested, and Overcame the Awakening and Fall of Mordremoth.Does not have any bias during the Path of FIre storyline.Caithe and Aurene's bond is "felt" more.Unaffected by Dhuum's rise.

Only Gripe:Why the hell are Sylvari (and other non-human races) could be affected by the Human Gods' realms? Sentient plants have souls now that will be judged by Grenth when they die? Really? It turned me off when I was at the Domain of the Lost. I ain't no god-worshiping human? You have no power over me!

@borgs.6103 said:Does not have any bias during the Path of FIre storyline.I'd argue this is a con, not a pro.Unaffected by Dhuum's rise.Again, a con.

Only Gripe:Why the hell are Sylvari (and other non-human races) could be affected by the Human Gods' realms? Sentient plants have souls now that will be judged by Grenth when they die? Really? It turned me off when I was at the Domain of the Lost. I ain't no god-worshiping human? You have no power over me!

This is nothing new. The gods governed the afterlives of Tyria, and the Spirits of the Wild - at least - partially shared dominion over the souls of the dead. Both Raven and Grenth are tied to the Underworld. In GW1, the gods had ensured souls of charr touched by Abaddon ended up in the Realm of Torment, and we see souls of centaurs in the Realm of War.

Besides all that, the gods did not create the afterlives, they merely moved into them and made them more stable. And most races predate humanity and their gods' arrival on Tyria. It would make sense for them to go to those afterlives governed by the gods, given that they're Tyria's natural afterlives.

@AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:

@AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:I am also asking for what would make a good commander if I made a music video with gw2

Including personality, life goals, etc?What?

You're asking what a good commander would be. I'm asking if you're also interested in personality, life goals etc for such commander, or if you're only interested in race, profession, Order, etc.

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

@AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:I am also asking for what would make a good commander if I made a music video with gw2

Including personality, life goals, etc?What?

You're asking what a good commander would be. I'm asking if you're also interested in personality, life goals etc for such commander, or if you're only interested in race, profession, Order, etc.

Sure, I did say that in the first place

• 6 months later...

My intuition gives me the insight I need to guard the Mists, where the souls of our ancestors endure in glory

A norn Herald commander sounds canon to me, norn are bound to the mist, norn shamans can physically enter in to the mist, they worship legends and seek to forge their own, i think this norn would be a norn whit all major spirits blessings, He is also blessed by Glint and her legend, being Aurene's champion, with a natural talent to handle the forces of the mist, belongs to a culture whose greatest aim is to defeat / stop dragons. The norn personal story is about Guard the Mists and cleaning the dragon's corruption (also getting drunk and stealing charr war machinery) also this norn could be a relevant even before Rytlock, just doesn't know it what he/she was.(basically all norn shaman should be kinda like revenants)

i think is a great duo : a norn Herald commander and his dragon hunter friend who is also son of Destiny's Edge death member and the prophesied Jormag killer.

@"AzuraBlackcoin.1809" said:Let's say that there was a Guild Wars 2 The Movie, what would be the ideal race, status, story arc, pact and profession/specialization?

It depends.

Is this theoretical movie supposed to be recapping the entire story of GW2? From Character Creation to IBS? Or is it supposed to be a progression of the story after IBS? Or some non-canon movie designed to just be an action flick with little to no relevance to the actual story (A la the Star Trek movies)?

If we're going from the recap angle, then something like Human Noble would work well. Makes sense to care about the affairs of the Ministry and as such Caudecus. Not as absurd to become BFF's with Queen Jennah. Makes sense to join the Shining Blade. Has a larger impact to go against Balthazar.

Norn can also work too. Creates a stronger connection to Eir and Braham (Also Apatia if utilizing that story option) as well as the Spirits of the Wild. Makes sense to pull off these incredible feats of 1vX (Due to norns innate strength advantage over just "Big human"). Makes sense to keep hopping into the Mists.

If it's supposed to be a non-canon movie, then Human would be ideal, since that would require less effort to produce (No CGI for simulating charr/asura/sylvari or wierd camera stuff to simulate norn (Like was used in the Hobbit movies to make the 6'2" Richard Armitage appear as the Dwarf, Thorin Oakenshield...)

Although, sylvari would make some sense, to make there be at least 1 member of each race as a main part of Dragon's Watch (Rytlock and Rox are the charr, Taimi is the asura, Kasmeer and Marjory are the humans and Braham is the norn) - Given that Canach and Caithe technically haven't joined DW...

As far as class goes...

Warrior would be simple to do. Elementalist could be flashy, especially Weaver.

There are classes that wouldn't work well though due to certain interactions during the story:

• Mesmer - There's a lot of mentions of Mesmer in the story, that don't make sense if the Commander is in fact a Mesmer themselves (A lot of dealing with Mesmers and remarks about how annoying they are)
  • Revenant - Given that this only exists in the story post HoT when Rytlock becomes one, it makes 0 sense for the Commander to be using the magic before that point. Also with how quiet he is about the magic, the Commander using it even after HoT makes little sense too.
  • Engineer - Canach's thing is that he has bombs necessary to open doors. It would be wierd if the story was centred around this with the Commander brining along an Engineer's worth of ordinance...
  • Necromancer - Trahearne makes a point about using his minions "Because they can't be corrupted" during the Orr storyline. This point has less of an impact if the Commander is also using minions because they're a necromancer themselves.
  • Thief - Every non-Commander Thief in the story, just sneaks around everywhere. It'd seem pretty dumb to watch the Commander brute forcing their way through everything in the way the Story leads, when they're capable of just sneaking through everything...

The aforementioned problem classes also have the additional con of doubling down on class representation. I.e. Kasmeer is a Mesmer, Rytlock is a Revenant, Canach is an Engineer, Marjory and Trahearne are Necromancers, Rox is a Ranger, Braham is a Guardian (Who specifically uses Guardian abilities in numerous places during the story for example protecting the cubs on Sandswept Isles and defending the Commander and co against Kralk during the final battle)

A good film wouldn't want to err too much onto showing the same classes too much, so the Commander would likely have a unique class. Which leaves the aforementioned Warrior and Elementalist. Warrior would be the easiest to implement, heavy armour some simple martial weapons (Probably Sword and Board) and jobs done. Though if the idea was to be something different to highlight GW2, Elementalist could work well as their attunement shifting could make for dramatic battles and would help solidify their "Commander" title if they were doing thematic things like helping allies with healing water magics, blocking attacks with earth magic, plowing through trash with fire magic and creating intense boss fights with air magic.

If I would have to assign a player character to the role of the commander in a movie, then I would first pick Sylvari as their race.

Why Sylvari?The conflict potential when you are reaching the point that everyone realizes that Sylvari were supposed to be Mordremoth's minions is great.Also the whole starting point of Sylvari is very exciting and could work well with a movie. Sylvari are born with a "Wyld Hunt", a quest they were born for. Which works well with the commander being destined to defeat the elder dragons and save the world by finding an alternative vessel for their magic.

The birth of the commander would also have potential for a great starting scene for the movie.And Scarlet Briar has also been my favourite villain in the game, having moments in which the commander feels empathy for Scarlet going mad since they are both Sylvari could be great.

When it comes to classes, I could see the commander as any of the classes available in a movie, with the exception of revenant.They could be the standard warrior, just fighting with their trusty weapons for justice.They could be a guardian and fight at the front, while using their magic to protect these dear to them.They could be an engineer, always prepared for a fight with alot of explosives like bombs, mines and grenades and using their craftiness to solve problems.They could be a ranger with their pet companion always at their side to comfort them.

Revenant doesn't work for the commander class, since this profession hasn't been a thing when the whole fight against Zhaitan started. So I would exclude them here, but every other class would be a possible choice for the commander.

It's funny, thinking of a GW2 movie my thoughts go to a live action rendition of Ghosts of Ascalon (and it's ensemble cast) rather than the actual GW2 storyline. Not a jab at GW2 per say, I just think that GoA makes for a more entertaining, constrained adventure.

I would say human, as bland as some may think that is with the other races as a choice. If a movie or stream series was to be made, for instance, it would help having the lead be someone audiences less familiar with the game's world could more easily connect with, and because in Tyria humans are portrayed differently than in a lot of other universes, that is to say that they are the underdogs instead of the dominate race they were in the first game, it would be interesting to see someone from a race that has been knocked down a few pegs rising up in the world and bringing everyone together to fight whatever evil needs to be fought in the story.

Just for the love of God don't make the commander a bookah... er I mean an idiot. I swear when I hear my character talk in game she sounds like a slow child whose taken a few too many hits to the ol' cranium. "Hey !" "Shhh, keep it down." " What? Why?" "Because I'm undercover you ninny and any person with half a brain could figure that out with the information you supposedly have. They trust the entirety of the Pact to you?"

• 1 month later...

Frankly I wouldn't want a GW2 movie, especially a live action one. Video game movies suck, but for the sake of the conversation...

Harak's above recommendation of using one of the books would probably be the best option, whether its GoA or EoD (I've actually never gotten around to reading Sea of Sorrows so I dunno if that's a good option).

If not the books, then a small group of three to five as the main protagonists would be better than a single 'Commander' protagonist. Actually, here's a thought, have none of the protagonists be a stand in for the Commander, but have several references to this "Legendary Commander of the Pact" that isn't directly shown, so the race-class-sex can be up in the air. Make the the protagonists of the movie either Destiny's Edge/Dragons Watch (Still hate that name) members or new characters that are...not foot soldiers but not the big central hero of Tyria, just important to the specific plot of the movie. Or go back to the small group of three to five protagonists, either way I don't think that there should be THE Commander (singular) as the main character of the movie.

For the races, it kinda depends on how many protagonists there are, if at all possible I'd say one from each race, if not I'd say Human, Charr, and Sylvari. The Charr and the Sylvari are arguably the most unique to the GW universe and it make sense to have them up and center, and human to...well, have have a human connection for the audience. For classes I'd say Warrior or Guardian, Engineer, and Elementalist or Mesmer. One from each class category. And to make it more interesting I'd mix it up, like have the sylvari be the engineer instead of the charr, etc. If its a group of five, throw in Thief and have one be an Ele and another a Mesmer, I think it might be best to leave out Revs, Necros, and Rangers (despite being my favorite class).

That's about all I got.