GW franchise could use a digital CCG

I'd rather not take development time away from GW2 in order to make a ccg that would need it's own constant developer team.

I also don't believe that just because other games have ccgs that gw2 needs to hop on the bandwagon. Considering the abandoned polymock, it's doubtful anything like this will happen.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:What is a CCG, how does it work and why would we want it?

Collecting Card Game (someone help pls). Basically magic the gathering but somehow thematically tied to guild wars 2. You take cards, play them against another person who has cards, and whoever knocks down the health of the card owner to zero first wins.

@castlemanic.3198 said:I'd rather not take development time away from GW2 in order to make a ccg that would need it's own constant developer team.

I also don't believe that just because other games have ccgs that gw2 needs to hop on the bandwagon. Considering the abandoned polymock, it's doubtful anything like this will happen.

Anet already jumped on the f2p bandwagon and team for ccg would not take dev time from GW2 because as you said it would be it's own.And i presume Anet is rich enough now after PoF sales to afford it.

@Nyel.1843 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:What is a CCG, how does it work and why would we want it?

I think he's referring to TCG - Trading Card Games. And no, GW2 really doesn't need one.

CCG is Collectible Card Game, like Hearthstone, where you can't trade your cards with other players.

I don't think GW2 franchise is strong enough to sustain healthy playerbase for its own CCG. I'm not going to comment on ESO as I have 0 knowledge of the franchise, but for Blizzard, their universe is huge and playerbase even bigger. For Witcher, GWENT CCG started as minigame in their main product and only after they realised people love this part of the game they worked on making it a stand alone product.

Also, GW2 has no manpower for another project to start from scraps. I think it's better for the game to stay as MMO only.

One more thing, there is unofficial, fanmade GW2 card game for you to enjoy: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/60hv17/the_guild_wars_2_card_game_heroes_of_the_mists_is/

@paShadoWn.5723 said:Anet already jumped on the f2p bandwagon and team for ccg would not take dev time from GW2 because as you said it would be it's own.And i presume Anet is rich enough now after PoF sales to afford it.

I don't understand the leap in logic here. GW2 is mostly unconventional because it didn't become free to play until the first expansion released, had a cash shop since release (when it was buy to play, not free to play), and has made it's cash shop mostly cosmetic, with some quality of life enhancers. So the unconventional route taken means that GW2 must suddenly jump on a ccg bandwagon?

And not only that, having a gw2 ccg have it's on development team by default means resources are taken away from GW2, because any devs working on the ccg could be devs working on GW2. We also have a real world case of the devs abandoning a side feature, polymock, in favour of the main game.

It's not about being able to afford it, it's about what makes the most sense to put resources into. With the recent shift in development focus from the devs to bring path of fire between season 3 and 4 within a very short interval of time means that things are going at a pace that shouldn't be shaken for the sake of a ccg that the devs don't really have enough experience to make, nor have the data to ensure that it's something popular enough to warrant development on. Besides, other games have already filled the niche and have most of the ccg audience taken, what would make GW2 so unique in what it offers that others havent innovated on already.

The biggest innovative shift was already made with hearthstone, in that it was completely online and as such has the freedom to make choice based cards and results that would be otherwise impossible in real world ccgs. The market has already been taken up, mostly by hearthstone but others have places too, so why would arenanet use up resources on a not sure market that already is being catered to by other products?

@Kheldorn.5123 said:One more thing, there is unofficial, fanmade GW2 card game for you to enjoy: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/60hv17/the_guild_wars_2_card_game_heroes_of_the_mists_is/As always the idea is taken already, but it only means not starting dev from nothing and integrating this game into GW2 in it's own window and trimming rules so a game takes few minutes on average would splendidly entertain all those world boss idlers and uber long sPvP queuers.

@Conncept.7638 said:Maybe a digital CCG, hard copy games just aren't the way to go anymore.

Boardgames/card games are hardly obsolete. Magic: The gathering had an estimated playerbase of 20 milion in 2015. Most digital games would love that kind of playerbase :)

OP clearly meant a digital CCG - I doubt Anet would have the expertise to produce a solid CCG and their IP is simply not strong enough to get away with a halfbaked random CCG like Hearthstone.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:What is a CCG, how does it work and why would we want it?

Collecting Card Game (someone help pls). Basically magic the gathering but somehow thematically tied to guild wars 2. You take cards, play them against another person who has cards, and whoever knocks down the health of the card owner to zero first wins.

@paShadoWn.5723 said:For example you can play a quick round of cards instead of just standing about while waiting for a world boss.

Hmmm. How about Belcher’s Bluff then. Buy the Belcher’s Bluff kit and invite people standing about waiting for a world boss to have a quick round of Belcher’s Bluff. It’s already in game so no further work is needed by the Devs.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@paShadoWn.5723 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:What is a CCG, how does it work and why would we want it?For example you can play a quick round of cards instead of just standing about while waiting for a world boss.

Hmmm. How about Belcher’s Bluff then. Buy the Belcher’s Bluff kit and invite people standing about waiting for a world boss to have a quick round.

From the wiki“Players can purchase a Belcher's Bluff Kit from bartenders. The consumable will summon a table where other players can compete against you”