Mastery Popup will not go away

I had no idea this has been going on for so long, after searching for this in Google, there are SO many posts from pissed of "" PAYING CUSTOMERS"". I am going through this (March 2020). I have unlocked Masteries, have a Glider (HOT), have a Raptor mount (POF)... I am a mentor in Core... I am out of mastery points and need to get more, but this darn popup keeps interfering with my gameplay. It is not fun to be told how to play... as well a not fun trying to gain more masteries with this darn popup coming up. I know... I know.... I need more mastery points. For God's sake fix this, or I'm done! Cannot play this way. This is SO darn stupid!!! Shame on the dev's not fixing this after SO many posts for SO many years on this issue; pissing customers off and forcing people a path (in an open world game), as well as having people quit the game. And i am sure others felt the same way. Just do a Google search, lol. Pathetic!EDIT: forgot to mention... just for clarification... I have all three exp bars for all three area (Core, HOT, POF) maxed... waiting for masteries. This is total... mvm, guess it's time to move on cause I was too stupid to focus on masteries, instead of having fun in the 3 zones in a game I purchased and continue to support. Unreal!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How hard is it to put a checkbox in options to disable this stupid dialog?? How is there no developer response to this after years????

I had no idea this has been going on for so long, after searching for this in Google, there are SO many posts from pissed of "" PAYING CUSTOMERS"". I am going through this (March 2020). I have unlocke

I'm exploring core zones and suddenly got this popup when my exp bar got full after I hit level 80. Why am I forced to start expansions now even though I haven't finished main story yet? Why can't you

Agree with all sentiments. I have, for the first time ever, leveled a character to 80 with no boosting - just following my personal story path and completing maps along the way. I have maxed the new 'xp' bar, having just acquired the fiery power core to a big bomb to use in my story's next chapter and now, with every single mob I kill this damnable pop-up is driving me crazy. I am new to GW2 but not MMORPGs and will not be dictated to when and where I must go if I can experience the 'history' and lore of the game world more naturally. I want to meet characters at the appropriate time and place and BE a part of the world's history. I do not want to be directed to the Jungles of Maguuma to go meet with an old friend i've never met and have them talk about 'that time we slew a dragon, eh? Shame about your old partner getting his head bitten off...' only to then go and meet with my partner back in my 'old' storyline, feeling guilty about now sending him into battle against said dragon. WTF?!

No. I may have paid for the expansions, (only because they were on offer and you can't pass up a good deal,) but I would rather go back to WoW than be shown this level of contempt by the devs. If i'd have known in advance, I would have saved myself the purchase price and time wasted leveling.

To clarify, I have no mount, no glider, only 3 Elite skills trained - which are not yet in use - and 9 Central Tyria Mastery points earned through playing. (Of course I can do nothing with these points, according to the Masteries tab, until I go to the Heart of Maguuma or the Crystal Desert and complete expansion story material.)All other Skills & Specializations are fully trained. I have completed Chapter 6 of my story and am about to do 'Breaking the Bone Ship'. I have gone nowhere near LW, HoT or PoF content and have no intention to do so; an OG player would not have had access to that content yet, and I want to experience the stories in order, as closely as the current game version allows.

Could anyone clarify exactly how I might try the macro from 7 posts earlier? Is it a windows macro or some kind of in-game macro? It looks like my only hope to keep playing the game!

@mamapapaxp.9203: as in instruction, compile using the AutoHotkey.

But first you can try go through a guild hall to Domain of Vabbi or Auric Basin, and open masteries' panel, Central's are unlocked in those locations (small padlock). And use points there, if you come back to Central without using points, masteries will be locked again.

This gives you some time to continue Central Tyria's story without pop-up, to get to Heart of Thorns in normal way.

@Azteck.2947: maybe list your masteries to compare what makes a problem.

Pop-up checks for the cheapest mastery.Having few Central's points available and any unlearned mastery for that cost - pop-up will nag all the time being in Central.Until you finish masteries' tutorial in expansion or spend points.This will nag:

Central Tyria (available: 5)

• Pact Commander (5/5)
  • Legendary Crafting (3/4) [learning]
  • Fractal Attunement (1/4)

But after learning few Heart of Thorns' masteries, 2 or 3 were needed (I started Gliding, then Exalted, then Itzel Lore): pop-up finally stopped everywhere.Now I have few more masteries, but those didn't break anything yet.

Heart of Thorns (available: 5)

• Gliding (6/6)
  • Itzel Lore (1/6)
  • Exalted Lore (4/5) [learning]
  • Nuhoch Lore (1/6)
  • Ancient Magics (6/6)

Path of Fire (available: 15)

• Raptor Mount (4/4)
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm exploring core zones and suddenly got this popup when my exp bar got full after I hit level 80. Why am I forced to start expansions now even though I haven't finished main story yet? Why can't you just change it so core masteries are unlocked by default?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

July 5th, 2020 and this is STILL a problem. I really almost quit the game over it. I wound up coming back and ruining the story for myself because all the other MMO's I've tried are run by awful companies (activision) or have boring combat / not enough exploration. I was eager to get my friends into GW2 once I hit 80, but this really made me hesitant to recommend it to anyone. Sucks that my near-perfect experience with this game now has a huge ugly stain on it, yuck. It's been almost 4 years, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS AWFUL BUG

• 4 months later...

November of 2020 and this persists.

The part that makes me angry is that there's no explanation in the UI as to why this is happening, or what to do to make it go away. Through a combination of Googling, asking in Lion's Arch, and poking at the UI for 10 minutes or so, I finally figured out that I needed to "Start Story" on the expansion in order to make the Mastery unlocking happen. If the UI explained how to do this, or that it was even necessary, it would be much more useful.

The fact that I was only on the level 50-ish portion of my personal story, and have now discovered (due to being forced to jump ahead) that I will apparently kill two dragons and a god, as well as having some sort of AI (ala Cortana from Halo) embedded in my head at some point... Yeah, thanks for the spoilers, ArenaNet. Super classy.

I just discovered Guild Wars 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing it for free, until last night. I reached level 80 on my first character a few days ago, but I haven't finished the personal story because I find it too challenging. I need better gear (my gear is typically around level 70, masterwork quality), and I need to develop more personal skill, in order to finish the personal story, I think.

I've liked the game so much so far that yesterday I decided to buy it, thinking that the developers deserve my money, even though I'm far from finishing the free-to-play content. But, as soon as I bought it, this pop-up started appearing, every time I exit combat. Apparently I can make it go away by completing the first chapter of either expansion. But I doubt I'm strong enough to do either of those chapters; I'm so wimpy I can't even finish the personal story! So I expect it will be at least a hundred hours of play before I can make this pop-up go away.

I now regret buying this game. It was more fun free-to-play.

I have an offer for ArenaNet: I will fix this bug, if you let me. I'm a very experienced programmer, and I'm very good at finding and fixing other programmers' bugs. I estimate it would take me about two hours of work to find and fix this bug (a very rough estimate). Just give me an NDA to sign, give me the source code, and I expect I'll be able to give you a patch in less than 24 hours--for free.

@"Sts.1459" said:I just discovered Guild Wars 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing it for free, until last night. I reached level 80 on my first character a few days ago, but I haven't finished the personal story because I find it too challenging. I need better gear (my gear is typically around level 70, masterwork quality), and I need to develop more personal skill, in order to finish the personal story, I think.

I've liked the game so much so far that yesterday I decided to buy it, thinking that the developers deserve my money, even though I'm far from finishing the free-to-play content. But, as soon as I bought it, this pop-up started appearing, every time I exit combat. Apparently I can make it go away by completing the first chapter of either expansion. But I doubt I'm strong enough to do either of those chapters; I'm so wimpy I can't even finish the personal story! So I expect it will be at least a hundred hours of play before I can make this pop-up go away.

I now regret buying this game. It was more fun free-to-play.

I have an offer for ArenaNet: I will fix this bug, if you let me. I'm a very experienced programmer, and I'm very good at finding and fixing other programmers' bugs. I estimate it would take me about two hours of work to find and fix this bug (a very rough estimate). Just give me an NDA to sign, give me the source code, and I expect I'll be able to give you a patch in less than 24 hours--for free.

You can complete the first chapter of The Icebrood Saga to remove the pop-up. I don't believe there's any combat involved.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Silence_(story)

Good luck.

• 5 months later...

Soooo this is still an issue I see this was irritating me so much I used Google to see if there was a solution I'm sooooo glad more than 3 years later that this is still an issue. I am constantly being bombarded when with this pop up. I have my glider, and my mount, and still this is an issue. It is because I have unspent mastery points it wants me to spend in Central Tyria and it doesn't matter if I don't want to spend it on Fractals ( I doubt I will ever play fractals) I want to spend it on the Legendary Crafting and I need two additional points. Like seriously it is beginning to irritate the hell out of me there should simply be an option to disable in game. I'll submit a ticket to see if there is a solution.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Caretaker.4697 said:

How is this STILL a kittenING problem in 2021

Perhaps anet dont see it as a problem.

Maybe it will break something else if they fix it making it not worth doing.

Apparently you can unlock it by interacting with a master point in any dragon response mission for minimal spoilers.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

On 6/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Perhaps anet dont see it as a problem.

They don't charge sub, and if you're getting this notification you've already bought the expansions, so as far as they're concerned, they've gotten what they needed from you, any additional playtime is money they're spending on keeping servers up that they're never getting back.

Sub-free MMOs need to be able to filter out their players to maximize the share of whales and minimize the number of people who never buy anything off the cash shop.

Edited by Arkevorkhat.8651
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I understand once you hit a cap, you cannot earn more experience and it's supposed to push you hard to stop wasting your time.

It's sort of a good thing, but in the wrong place. Whether that wasted XP is good or bad is opinionated. If I'm a new player (character) doing my story, I'm living in 2013 and there are no masteries. Sure I'm losing out compared to the optimum, could even argue that once my main gets to an expansion I'm not even self-spoiling, but it's 2013 so I'm not losing anything compared to players back then. As there are characters running around with 300+ "yellow levels" I don't suppose it's critical losing a few. (Just arguments that this doesn't need to be #1 priority for every player / character.)

I landed here getting level 23 and I can't make Specializations toast go away - that's at the top. Maybe this one should, too, albeit it's there due to the level indicator.

The X dismissing them until character switch would suffice.