wvw from a newbie perspective

setdog.1592

Join a wvw game. ground marks literally everywhere.

what do?

leave. because i dont enjoy caster classes as much.

(edit)dodging is completely ineffective in these group skirmishes because with the amount of ground marks i would need to dodge about 12 times in a row.(edit2) i literally only do wvw for the gift of battle to make a legendary. if it wasnt for this I honestly dont think I would ever do it at all.

@Junkpile.7439 said:You need to go read metabattle, copy build there, follow commander and spam skills until your fingers fell off.

i dont enjoy the game mode. its not something i think can be fixed by changing builds. there is a massive structural problem with wvw modehas nothing to do with profession balance.

@setdog.1592 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:You need to go read metabattle, copy build there, follow commander and spam skills until your fingers fell off.

i dont enjoy the game mode. its not something i think can be fixed by changing builds. there is a massive structural problem with wvw modehas nothing to do with profession balance.

So you have no idea how we play the game mode but since you saw some red circles and couldn't survive with your PvE build, you demand a major overhaul. Well, goodbye then. You're obviously not accepting suggestions so I won't make any, but these "ground marks" are not really a problem for most of us. In fact we have many ways to ignore them. But you're right, forcing you to change your PvE setup sounds like a daunting prospect.

@Rennie.6750 said:

@setdog.1592 said:

So you have no idea how we play the game mode but since you saw some red circles and couldn't survive with your PvE build, you demand a major overhaul. Well, goodbye then. You're obviously not accepting suggestion so I won't make any, but these "ground marks" are not really a problem for most of us. In fact we have many ways to ignore them. But you're right, forcing you to change your PvE setup sounds like a daunting prospect.

You play conditions. I enjoy melee. get that thru your thick skull. but seriously, im all ears for you expert knowledge on how to melee from 900 range

@setdog.1592 said:

I'm not going to defend the current issues with wvw, however, if you don't play wvw it is really not fair to just jump in and say wvw has massive structural problems.

Wvw is different than pve and it requires a different play style. You said you play melee, if you can post your class and build there are many players who can give you tips. If you happen to be on EBay/HoD/AR I can help you get the Gift of Battle. =)

He is not so wrong. Wvw zerg/blob is pretty much a cleave train or aoe spam. Of course it takes skill to be the best group on cleaving and droping aoes on right time, but in the end the big fights are pretty much it.

Scourge/necro landing wells, shades and marksSpellbreaker landing winds (huge aoe) and cleaving with full counterStaff elesACs (lots of them)etc

OP you can try roaming with small groups. Small scale fights are more similar to spvp.

All games are rock paper scissors. When you meet rock, you know you have to roll paper. Etc.And right now the strongest option is pirate ship x guardians.So, if you plan to use your melee, then be patient and find the opening to capitalize. Because if you do engage, you will be the first to eat bombsBait the bombs, fight when they are on cd. Or adapt to how things are.Find your paper that beats rock.Anyway, wvw is not for the normal gw2 player.

@Sovereign.1093 said:All games are rock paper scissors. When you meet rock, you know you have to roll paper. Etc.And right now the strongest option is pirate ship x guardians.So, if you plan to use your melee, then be patient and find the opening to capitalize. Because if you do engage, you will be the first to eat bombsBait the bombs, fight when they are on cd. Or adapt to how things are.Find your paper that beats rock.Anyway, wvw is not for the normal gw2 player.

Or just YOLO your way through the sea of AoEs spamming condi cleanses. I'm sneaky and love using terrain too. I do that often on my firebrand, although I find not having a single range weapon out of 4 a very questionable decision at best.

@setdog.1592 said:Join a wvw game. ground marks literally everywhere.

what do?

leave. because i dont enjoy caster classes as much.

(edit)dodging is completely ineffective in these group skirmishes because with the amount of ground marks i would need to dodge about 12 times in a row.(edit2) i literally only do wvw for the gift of battle to make a legendary. if it wasnt for this I honestly dont think I would ever do it at all.

@setdog.1592 said:

I don't blame you with WvW being in the state it's in. The pirate ship meta is back and it makes for a really poor experience if you're looking for large scale melee combat, and you're left dancing around avoiding Scourge AE bombs. I tried giving it a go on my Rev (caster spec) and god was it boring. Back to roaming on my Holosmith for now because that's the playstyle I'm looking for at the moment. Sure you might not get your gift of battle as fast roaming as opposed to zerging but at least it'll most likely be a more enjoyable experience.

Sure WvW has some serious issues which need to be addressed (I'm not holding my breath), but that doesn't mean you need to write off the entire game mode.

@setdog.1592 said:

Unfortunately, not many people who try to take this mode seriously will ever admit that. It's not just WvW either, much of GW2 is entirely out of balance with itself. The game has been stuck in a continuity of powercreep since launch which has attempted to make the most passive playstyles into the most effective ones. Arbitrary and out-of-line PvE changes along with PvP powercreep have rendered PvP into a joke, and the sort of issues with PvP are only amplified through WvWs filter of inherently imbalanced player numbers. It's easy to see what would happen in WvW on a regular basis if players in PvP's 5v5 modes are already exploding from single instances of Spellbreaker/Rampage, Scourge condibombs or a lone Firebrand stacking 20 burns onto a player in under 3 seconds. It's barely manageable in PvP, so adding 30 more players into the mix on either side is just going to exacerbate the issues.

Well is't same thing in raids too. People play super lame cancer specs because some idiot made youtube video where he hit some target golem. Seems like game whole point is just abuse builds and tactics. I could understand that you use best possible build in some sPvP final even if it's boring like kitten, but it's just frigging stupid try hard in WvW.

@Junkpile.7439 said:Well is't same thing in raids too. People play super lame cancer specs because some idiot made youtube video where he hit some target golem. Seems like game whole point is just abuse builds and tactics. I could understand that you use best possible build in some sPvP final even if it's boring like kitten, but it's just frigging stupid try hard in WvW.

You can't compare a mode in which the principle enemy has millions upon millions of hitpoints to a mode in which there are dozens of principle enemies with dozens of skills each despite the fact that they each only have anywhere between 15k-30k HP. The former is straightforward and understandable because the NPC that everyone is wailing on doesn't care that the game is entirely out of whack. Other players, however, immediately have something to say when "damage over time" kills them in 4 seconds or a player's brainless AI unit with a bloated HP pool deals 12-15k with a single attack. The fact that only a single player can do either one of those things in PvP automatically makes WvW an even bigger potential joke. Then we add in the fact that WvW uses PvE stats instead of PvP stats, and the laughter only grows louder.

WvW isn't any more exciting than PvE or PvP. In fact, with gates blocking the majority of everyone's progress (unless you're running as part of a blob which insulates most individual players from the responsibility of actively playing the game), it's arguably, by far, the least exciting mode by design. The only thing that makes WvW remotely engaging is because when two huge groups of players clash, it requires someone screaming the same five words into Teamspeak in order to get people to do anything. WvW is more about a sporadically hectic atmosphere with lots of dead-time in between than it is consistently exciting gameplay.

@setdog.1592 said:snipActually junkpile is right in this thread. Either adapt to the mindless spam or leave it:And it is a class balance problem. Most classes can do everything, there's no real teamplay involved anymore - it used to be. That class inbalance led to blob/zerg inbalance as well. WvW won't get any better until anet finally swing the nerfhammer all around. A warning in advance though: That inbalance is in place for now 2 to 2,5 years. Those who still play either like it, or got used to it - it will be pretty hard to take all of that away from them, so it might never happen.

@Swagg.9236 said:snipIt wasn't constant powercreep, the ferocity patch made a huge dent into it.

@setdog.1592 said:

@Rennie.6750 said:

@setdog.1592 said:

So you have no idea how we play the game mode but since you saw some red circles and couldn't survive with your PvE build, you demand a major overhaul. Well, goodbye then. You're obviously not accepting suggestion so I won't make any, but these "ground marks" are not really a problem for most of us. In fact we have many ways to ignore them. But you're right, forcing you to change your PvE setup sounds like a daunting prospect.

You play conditions. I enjoy melee. get that thru your thick skull. but seriously, im all ears for you expert knowledge on how to melee from 900 range

so your like me, here is what to do.

A) dont follow the commander if he goes left u go right > 90% of the time commanders end up head to head when he goes left and u go right u get to pick on backline from enemy but u gotta get the fuck out moment the enemy commander turns or ur pretty much insta dead.B) play rev full zerker and use X melee + hammer so u can switch around to range/melee (i enjoy rev hammer even tho im not big fan like u of ranged toons)C) just solo roam or havoc with small groups.

all in all i have to admit lately WvW is so heavy on conditions i dont really enjoy it that much anymore aswell.dunno what anet has with conditions i dont mind debuffs in game but the way they are applied is to easy certain classes do not have 100 cleanse a minute and they just get wrecked.

like yesterday i fought condi thief (i main thief) on my necro man i just blown him up knownin exactly how to trigger his poor ass to use his condi cleanse and the next moment he got wrecked.yes WvW isnt as fun as it used to be, maybe because im a melee horny asshat like u, and cant stand conditions.ask some condition whore out there if WvW is more fun then it was a year ago.

@Jana.6831 said:It wasn't constant powercreep, the ferocity patch made a huge dent into it.

Not only did that not change how zerker stats conquered the meta (which was a perfectly acceptable paradigm), but it was almost entirely made irrelevant over night when the condition stack patch rolled out. Then condi stats emerged and sealed away power forever. You also forget how conditions were silently powercreeped constantly since launch because people kept complaining about them not doing anything in the first place. It had a huge impact on PvP and only really reared its ugly head in PvE after the condition stack patch. GW2 has been on the powercreep treadmill since 2012.

@Rennie.6750 said:

@setdog.1592 said:

So you have no idea how we play the game mode but since you saw some red circles and couldn't survive with your PvE build, you demand a major overhaul. Well, goodbye then. You're obviously not accepting suggestions so I won't make any, but these "ground marks" are not really a problem for most of us. In fact we have many ways to ignore them. But you're right, forcing you to change your PvE setup sounds like a daunting prospect.

This is a new player: there is No "are not really a problem for most of us" . Who is the most? Conditions has been a problem in this game since release. 5 years later, it still is a problem. Here is a current post by Anet agreeing with the conditions:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8392/ama-anets-response-on-condition#latest

"Well, goodbye then. You're obviously not accepting suggestions"

Secondly, you telling a new player or anyone that he/she has no idea how to play the game....seriously! who are you to say that? Who are you a Dictator? A Oppressor? A Tyrant? The new player is a human being" Not a slave or Not a robot to say what you want to say, do what you want to do? To think as you do?

Unbelievable!!

Not only is Anet deterring new players from this game with bad design and with power creep, toxic players are doing their bidding as well.

New players are the lifeblood of the future: treat them unfairly, they will secure your failure.

-Anet, It Is Your Responsibility For Creating A Healthy Competitive Gaming Experience!!!!-

@Swagg.9236 said:

@Jana.6831 said:It wasn't constant powercreep, the ferocity patch made a huge dent into it.

Not only did that not change how zerker stats conquered the meta (which was a perfectly acceptable paradigm), but it was almost entirely made irrelevant over night when the condition stack patch rolled out. Then condi stats emerged and sealed away power forever. You also forget how conditions were silently powercreeped constantly since launch because people kept complaining about them not doing anything in the first place. It had a huge impact on PvP and only really reared its ugly head in PvE after the condition stack patch. GW2 has been on the powercreep treadmill since 2012.

I don't forget anything (that actually is genetic, but let's not get into it.)Condi wasn't buffed until June 23th 2015. That's when they wanted to make condi builds on par with power builds when it comes to PvE.It was however indirectly buffed through the April 15th 2014 patch which introduced ferocity, because they forgot to tone down condi while power was nerfed big time. So it wasn't constant powercreep since launch.ETA: And yes, the June 23th 2015 paatch was powercreep all around, not only for condi. And yes it got even worse with HoT and yes it's been constant powercreep ever since. But not before.

If you're new to WvW. Your first step is to: Find a guild group that focuses on WvW ( could be roamers, GvGers, blob commanders, doesn't matter). Then get in comms with them, play activly and learn.

WvW is best experienced in an active group, and you learn the most from a team that understands the classes, the mechanics, and how best to use/counter them.

@setdog.1592 said:(edit)dodging is completely ineffective in these group skirmishes because with the amount of ground marks i would need to dodge about 12 times in a row.

No offense, but you are completely wrong. If you are finding dodging to be ineffective, that is very much because you are doing it wrong. You are correct about a number of marks on the ground though. For whatever reason, Anet has never invested any time in giving value to professions outside of necros for damage, guardians for AoE stability, and elementalist for heals.

(edit2) i literally only do wvw for the gift of battle to make a legendary. if it wasnt for this I honestly dont think I would ever do it at all.

So what? I wouldn't have wasted my time with PvE if I didn't need the gift of exploration or want my legendary armor.

Archived