Healing Turret Bug

bethekey.8314

Ever since I returned to the game for PoF, I've noticed that the water field (and I believe the second heal that comes with it) often fails to occur. This reduces the healing turret to a ~3k heal on a 15/20 sec cooldown.

After a quick google search and asking around, I haven't seen/heard this brought up before. The best way I've found to reproduce this bug is by using healing turret then jumping ~3/4 of the way into the cast. A field ring appears around the turret, but there is no field or subsequent heal.

Time to unbind jump keys or crown a new king heal?

It's not a bug, it's a poorly designed implementation.

The healing turret takes 3/4 of a second to cast its overcharge after being placed. You can detonate it at 1/2 a second. The result is that there is a 1/4-1/2 a second window where the water field blast and overcharge will not occur. Sometimes if you or the server is lagging, the window of time can also expand.

Again, not a bug. Bad implementation. If they really want us to do this kind of behavior with healing turret, just make it a healing bomb already and be done with it.

I understand the delay for cleansing burst. When I said "fails to occur", I don't mean delayed due to lag, I mean fails to occur. Try it yourself.

And to me, poorly designed implementation implies arriving at the same end despite a poor route. Here, you don't arrive at the same end (cleansing burst), despite it being intended. Call it what you want; I want to let others know and see it fixed.

What I noticed when I was playing my Engi during HoT was that sometimes the AoE indicator that typically shows the activation of the Healing Turret water field will fail to display. This makes it look like the overcharge fails to activate when, in actuality, it activates as normal.

The best thing to do until such a time as this is fixed is to watch for the water spray effect to come from the healing turret (when the overcharge activates water jets spray out from the top of the turret and spin) and only blast when you see that. It's not the best but it definitely helps.

@Vagrant.7206 said:It's not a bug, it's a poorly designed implementation.

The healing turret takes 3/4 of a second to cast its overcharge after being placed. You can detonate it at 1/2 a second. The result is that there is a 1/4-1/2 a second window where the water field blast and overcharge will not occur. Sometimes if you or the server is lagging, the window of time can also expand.

Again, not a bug. Bad implementation. If they really want us to do this kind of behavior with healing turret, just make it a healing bomb already and be done with it.

They won't be turning it into a healing bomb. They expressly stated that the reason for the changes was because very few people were actually keeping their turrets out since the toolbelt skills were too desirable. However, they didn't think the change through at all, since the removal of manual overloads only reinforces the "drop and detonate immediately" playstyle since now you are required to detonate them or pick them up to get anything more than minimal functionality from them, since the only way to get your overload back is to drop the turret again. They would probably be more inclined to remove detonate than to turn them into a healing bomb.

@Llethander.3972 said:What I noticed when I was playing my Engi during HoT was that sometimes the AoE indicator that typically shows the activation of the Healing Turret water field will fail to display. This makes it look like the overcharge fails to activate when, in actuality, it activates as normal.

The best thing to do until such a time as this is fixed is to watch for the water spray effect to come from the healing turret (when the overcharge activates water jets spray out from the top of the turret and spin) and only blast when you see that. It's not the best but it definitely helps.

I think this is a different issue. There isn't a water spray animation or an invisible field. You can see your health only go up by ~3k and spam blasts with no result.

@bethekey.8314 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:What I noticed when I was playing my Engi during HoT was that sometimes the AoE indicator that typically shows the activation of the Healing Turret water field will fail to display. This makes it look like the overcharge fails to activate when, in actuality, it activates as normal.

I think this is a different issue. There isn't a water spray animation or an invisible field. You can see your health only go up by ~3k and spam blasts with no result.

You have to wait for the overcharge to actually initiate. If you blast finishers as soon as your health goes up from the initial drop of the turret then you're going to get nothing. I have not seen such an issue where the healing turret straight up doesn't overcharge, personally. Not saying it isn't a thing, simply that I have not experienced it.

Rereading the initial complaint... it would seem the OP is having an issue where jumping interrupts the overcharge... which may very well be the case, after all jumping right after activating a manual overcharge used to interrupt it as well... so they may have forgot to change that when they made overcharge automatic.

EDIT: I did a little testing in game, and this is EXACTLY what is happening. If you jump immediately after dropping your turret, it WILL interrupt the overcharge, preventing the waterfield from ever being generated and you will only get the initial heal from dropping the turret, no heal from Cleansing Burst, and of course no waterfield to blast.

Thinking back on it to when these changes to turrets were made, I do recall people discussing this little fact, and some people wanting it like this as it allowed them to drop and detonate healing turrets without creating a waterfield for whatever reason... but fixing this wouldn't remove their ability to do this since there is a delay between dropping the turret and the overload in which the turret can be detonated without a field still...

@Panda.1967 said:Rereading the initial complaint... it would seem the OP is having an issue where jumping interrupts the overcharge... which may very well be the case, after all jumping right after activating a manual overcharge used to interrupt it as well... so they may have forgot to change that when they made overcharge automatic.

EDIT: I did a little testing in game, and this is EXACTLY what is happening. If you jump immediately after dropping your turret, it WILL interrupt the overcharge, preventing the waterfield from ever being generated and you will only get the initial heal from dropping the turret, no heal from Cleansing Burst, and of course no waterfield to blast.

Thinking back on it to when these changes to turrets were made, I do recall people discussing this little fact, and some people wanting it like this as it allowed them to drop and detonate healing turrets without creating a waterfield for whatever reason... but fixing this wouldn't remove their ability to do this since there is a delay between dropping the turret and the overload in which the turret can be detonated without a field still...

Thanks. Now that I know what it is, I can at least work around it. I have been killed several times in PvP due to the lack of a water field when I needed and expected one.

This is known and used on purpose by experienced engis since the Turret change to skip the field for blast only. There are some Engi mechanics that can be altered by jumping like pullbehavior eg.

@Panda.1967 said:and some people wanting it like this as it allowed them to drop and detonate healing turrets without creating a waterfield for whatever reason..

You avoid underwriting of fields and I dont like it like this but the way you describe doesnt work since they filled the gap between deploy and overload one day after the change. Without the filler it was faster, easier and allowed for more combos.

On the other hand i barely log in anymore because the game went in a somehow streamlined direction i dont really enjoy anymore. (Away from its combofield design for example. Engi was once the perfect profession for someone who knows every finisher to every field. Now there is basically no way to utilize this without feeling like the Indiana Jones gif). So who cares :)

@schloumou.3982 said:This is known and used on purpose by experienced engis since the Turrent change to skip the field for blast only. There are some Engi mechanics that can be altered by jumping like pullbehavior eg.

@Panda.1967 said:and some people wanting it like this as it allowed them to drop and detonate healing turrets without creating a waterfield for whatever reason..

You avoid underwriting of fields and I dont like it like this but the way you describe doesnt work since they filled the gap between deploy and overload one day after the change. Without the filler it was faster, easier and allowed for more combos.On the other hand i barely log in anymore because the game went in a somehow streamlined direction i dont really enjoy anymore. (Away from its combofield design for example. Engi was once the perfect profession for someone who knows every finisher to every field. Now there is basically no way to utilize this without feeling like the Indiana Jones gif). So who cares :)

What constitutes an experienced engi? Here I thought I was, or any of the early commenters offering resolute but wrong answers to this thread, but apparently I was wrong. With so much confusion about the mechanics of healing turret, someone really should make a thread to discuss them...

I'd also love to see a list of scenarios where the added ability to cancel Cleansing Burst (by jumping of all things) outweighs inadvertent loss of half the heal and a water field. Even if there are good reasons for "experienced" engineers to do so, I'd argue that it hurts new players disproportionately.

Last but not least: Turrent. Use the title if you need help, bud.

@bethekey.8314 said:Last but not least: Turrent. Use the title if you need help, bud.

Thanks. Im in Germany and its like 2 am here.

What constitutes an experienced engi? Here I thought I was, or any of the early commenters offering resolute but wrong answers to this thread, but apparently I was wrongI didnt deprive you or anyone of that but just implied that a fresh lvl 80 Engi probably wouldnt use it that way. As to your fixing proposal to further turn the HT into a healing bomb i dont really care anymore as stated above. Just wanted to correct Pandas post and give insight into mechanics. No need to use sulky quotation marks.

@schloumou.3982 said:

@bethekey.8314 said:Last but not least: Turrent. Use the title if you need help, bud.

What constitutes an experienced engi? Here I thought I was, or any of the early commenters offering resolute but wrong answers to this thread, but apparently I was wrongI didnt deprive you or anyone of that but just implied that a fresh lvl 80 Engi probably wouldnt use it that way. As to your fixing proposal to further turn the HT into a healing bomb i dont really care anymore as stated above. Just wanted to correct Pandas post and give insight into mechanics. No need to use sulky quotation marks.

German forums if you favor German: https://de-forum.guildwars2.com/Dictionary if you favor sounding intelligent about something you claim to have experience with: http://www.dictionary.com/Blue light filter to help with your sleepy brain: https://justgetflux.com/

Not once did I suggest turning Healing Turret into a healing bomb. I want it to function as the current tooltip states.

@schloumou.3982 said:

There was nothing in my post to correct. I tested the skill in game, posted exactly what was going on, recalled a discussion about this back when the change to turrets was made. There were actually far more people asking to have the overload canceling issue resolved than those asking to keep it. The window between dropping your turret and detonating without an overload still exists, the time delay between the two was never shortened, the only thing they did that reduced the window was add a delay between dropping the turret and being allowed to detonate. This delay however is shorter than the delay between dropping turret and overloading, and if timed at the start of an overload it will cancel the field creation while still giving the full heal from the overload. A truly experienced engineer will take advantage of that timing to get the heal from the overload without the waterfield in the rare situations where they need to avoid creating the waterfield.

@schloumou.3982 said:I know the links you provided might seem very helpful to you but if you actually want to help someone improve his english you possibly want to be more precise in your correction.

As an example: Your video -> Holographic Shockwave is no finisher and this combo made no sense.

Absolutely correct and apologies for any confusion it caused. Holographic Shockwave certainly feels like it should be one though, doesn't it Anet (hint hint)? Not sure how this relates to your english, but I hope it helps!

@Panda.1967 said:The window between dropping your turret and detonating without an overload still exists, the time delay between the two was never shortened, the only thing they did that reduced the window was add a delay between dropping the turret and being allowed to detonate

Thats the filler (CD) I was talking about.

This delay however is shorter than the delay between dropping turret and overloading, and if timed at the start of an overload it will cancel the field creation while still giving the full heal from the overload. A truly experienced engineer will take advantage of that timing to get the heal from the overload without the waterfield

You cant reliably reproduce that since the reason this filler was introduced were the complaints about not beeing able to spam the HT-key for getting the field. Try it while standing still and having a good ping. It doesnt work.

• 6 months later...

This bug has never occured to me while jumping, however, for some odd reason. this bug appears to also occur when the healing turret gets hit before it triggers cleansing burst. this happens often in fights against mesmers since they have lots of attacks on staff clones & staff 5. i have not tested the consistency of this. but this has happens ALOT during fights.right now i use mortar kit & the f1 healing skill to satisfy my water field needs. but its not enough.

I also tested this on the a trio of moa's south of lions arch. i put the healing turret down without exploding it. and it seems to just get interrupted by a stray attack. really game breaking

Archived