Post your anets definition of fun!

The Ace.9105

all mmorpgs come to this stage where the combat must outshine it's former selves, and players are drawn in to faster paced and more "impact" on the battleground. if you want to paint a picture on what Anet's thinking, then think of the general public's way of thinking on how pvp should be structured. I can assure you the casuals (which is most of you guys) will eventually reach the conclusion of somehow making PvP more "exciting" than the last.

@Lan.1968 said:all mmorpgs come to this stage where the combat must outshine it's former selves, and players are drawn in to faster paced and more "impact" on the battleground. if you want to paint a picture on what Anet's thinking, then think of the general public's way of thinking on how pvp should be structured. I can assure you the casuals (which is most of you guys) will eventually reach the conclusion of somehow making PvP more "exciting" than the last.

Well no, been playing pvp for the past 5 years and this is one of the worst balance ever. This has come to the point where I can't keep playing pvp without wanting to shoot up ppl at my local supermarket. Last time this happened was the bunker mesmer meta.

@The Ace.9105 said:Well no, been playing pvp for the past 5 years and this is one of the worst balance ever. This has come to the point where I can't keep playing pvp without wanting to shoot up ppl at my local supermarket. Last time this happened was the bunker mesmer meta.

Imagine this happening tho. Would be pretty funny ironic way to burst anets bubble they are living in.

@NotASmurf.1725 said:Spamming circles into circles of matching size.

Spamming at least 5 conditions and boons per second.

Spamming without any attention paid to CD management, which is trivialized more and more each expansion.

Did I mention brainless skill spam yet?

You should not speak about the condi if you are an theifDaredevil are the true definition of fun to anet devolopers

Tell me how much cd on the teleporting simi auto attack!

The theive is what makes me quit pvp before this expansion cames

@Lan.1968 said:all mmorpgs come to this stage where the combat must outshine it's former selves, and players are drawn in to faster paced and more "impact" on the battleground. if you want to paint a picture on what Anet's thinking, then think of the general public's way of thinking on how pvp should be structured. I can assure you the casuals (which is most of you guys) will eventually reach the conclusion of somehow making PvP more "exciting" than the last.

Its difficult to future proof anything these days, not least the gaming industry. As the average level of hardware and connectivity increases, new things become possible.Out with the old and in with the new,gone are the days of mend and make do.

So what you are saying is not so much an indictment of 'casuals' really but of society in general. Add to that all the aggressive marketing we are bombarded with these days, in a highly competitive market, with a fickle consumer base, casual or otherwise btw, and we arrive at this situation.

I'm just glad my all time favourite pvp game is largely immune to this; chess.

Oh, and I don't think that the 'general public' actually ever thinks about video games much at all beyond "wonder how much peace and quiet I'll get from this one in till the kids get bored of it"

But all that doesn't mean that Anet couldn't do a better job of improving the pvp in it's current iteration. Starting with investing in a decent MM system and restructuring how the pvp and balance teams work together.

@The Ace.9105 said:

@The Ace.9105 said:Well no, been playing pvp for the past 5 years and this is one of the worst balance ever. This has come to the point where I can't keep playing pvp without wanting to shoot up ppl at my local supermarket. Last time this happened was the bunker mesmer meta.

Imagine this happening tho. Would be pretty
funny
ironic way to burst anets bubble they are living in.

Really? So which game did a superb job at class balances in terms of pvp and is actually a popular mmorpg?

@troops.8276 said:

Its difficult to future proof anything these days, not least the gaming industry. As the average level of hardware and connectivity increases, new things become possible.Out with the old and in with the new,gone are the days of mend and make do.

So what you are saying is not so much an indictment of 'casuals' really but of society in general. Add to that all the aggressive marketing we are bombarded with these days, in a highly competitive market, with a fickle consumer base, casual or otherwise btw, and we arrive at this situation.

Oh, and I don't think that the 'general public' actually ever thinks about video games much at all beyond "wonder how much peace and quiet I'll get from this one in till the kids get bored of it"

But all that doesn't mean that Anet couldn't do a better job of improving the pvp in it's current iteration. Starting with investing in a decent MM system and restructuring how the pvp and balance teams work together.

You made my point for me: the uncertainty of the future is always a heavy risk in investment and companies are more prone to stick with elements they know can satisfy a section of their consumers rather than risking to lose all of them. Expectations from players are always met with unrealistic increments as they're never satisfied with what they have experienced, and the easiest way to retain player interest is either lots of numbers or big numbers. You never realize how popular mmo genres and games are revolving around either elements before? Even WoW have changed their balance structure to give a more streamlined approach to each class with a direct counter for them, and the meta begins to chip away at unnecessary classes while promoting what is the most efficient. I can assure you the MM system has, and never will be, perfect in any mmorpg because it is merely a standardized system to judge you based on how it thinks you should be placed at, and player skills usually cannot be measured accordingly to mere numbers. MM system was an issue for League for 6 straight years, and some can still say it isn't functioning properly. MM system in WoW is a literal joke considering how easy players can make a new character to climb again, and Overwatch MM follows the same scenario as League. Which games were you expecting a "beneficial" MM system that suits to your skill level and to your satisfaction? Even if the MM system was perfect and you still lose 90% of your games, I can assure you that you will be back on the forums claiming how "faulty" it is. Why don't you think of every player as a human being with the same limit as you do, and try to overcome that instead?

@Lan.1968 said:

funny

Really? So which game did a superb job at class balances in terms of pvp and is actually a popular mmorpg?

Oh don't come with this crap........

As a player that played MANY MMORGs that has a Name and having minimum 1 or More max level characters everywhere.... i Saw some shit....Every game has Smaller,Bigger issues around Balance.......

But EVERYWHERE when something realy got out of hand AFTER and expansion hits MAX a week later the Devs bombard the game with Balance changes....

and right here since Pof release we have a real Shitstorm going on and Devs just outright Ignoring it.....im sure they working on changes right now but they still literaly letting this rotting mess of a Balance Fester for more then Half a month and if it goes like this an entire Month IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON!!!............... without EVEN MINOR Balance changes...... just Tweak some numbers here and there until the bigger changes don't come ffs..............

So atleast make the player know that the devs still care about the state of balance in PvP.....

@Zoltreez.6435 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

funny

Oh don't come with this crap........

As a player that played MANY MMORGs that has a Name and having minimum 1 or More max level characters everywhere.... i Saw some kitten....Every game has Smaller,Bigger issues around Balance.......

But EVERYWHERE when something realy got out of hand AFTER and expansion hits MAX a week later the Devs bombard the game with Balance changes....

and right here since Pof release we have a real kitten going on and Devs just outright Ignoring it.....im sure they working on changes right now but they still literaly letting this rotting mess of a Balance Fester for more then Half a month and if it goes like this an entire Month IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON!!!............... without EVEN MINOR Balance changes...... just Tweak some numbers here and there until the bigger changes don't come kitten..............

So atleast make the player know that the devs still care about the state of balance in PvP.....

Sorry did a hard-hitting question caused you to fumble? This shouldn't even be difficult for you considering how you're referencing other games as having better pvp structure than gw2.

I can assure you WoW has had worse pvp inbalances throughout it's years, and the most notorious one for me was the introduction of the Death Knight class during Wotlk, where the class could literally oneshot their opponents (regardless of class) and have the survivalbility of a resto druid. In Tera, introducing new classes always ended up with that class being overtuned with both damage and utility which results to massive backlash until En Masse decides to nerf it only after making another new class to take its place. In BnS, the class hiereachy haven't changed since it's release since NCSoft does care about balance, but certainly not at the expense of your average player but from the professional's standpoint: where balance is changed with with skill curve, but the class's actual viability when player properly. Really, try to enlighten me which game has perfected pvp structure and not have players blowing everything out of proportion?

@Lan.1968 said:

@troops.8276 said:

You made my point for me: the uncertainty of the future is always a heavy risk in investment and companies are more prone to stick with elements they know can satisfy a section of their consumers rather than risking to lose all of them. Expectations from players are always met with unrealistic increments as they're never satisfied with what they have experienced, and the easiest way to retain player interest is either lots of numbers or big numbers. You never realize how popular mmo genres and games are revolving around either elements before? Even WoW have changed their balance structure to give a more streamlined approach to each class with a direct counter for them, and the meta begins to chip away at unnecessary classes while promoting what is the most efficient. I can assure you the MM system has, and never will be, perfect in any mmorpg because it is merely a standardized system to judge you based on how it thinks you should be placed at, and player skills usually cannot be measured accordingly to mere numbers. MM system was an issue for League for 6 straight years, and some can still say it isn't functioning properly. MM system in WoW is a literal joke considering how easy players can make a new character to climb again, and Overwatch MM follows the same scenario as League. Which games were you expecting a "beneficial" MM system that suits to your skill level and to your satisfaction? Even if the MM system was perfect and you still lose 90% of your games, I can assure you that you will be back on the forums claiming how "faulty" it is. Why don't you think of every player as a human being with the same limit as you do, and try to overcome that instead?

LolActually no, I appreciate that your only trying to use me as an example and project your personal interpretation of average players on to me but the reason I want better MM is because blow out games suck, regardless of which side I'm on. Close games are awesome, win or lose. There is many many things competing for my limited recreational time, mm doesn't need to be perfect but it could, as in it is actually possible, to have a slightly higher chance of fun games.And how on earth did you get that I lack empathy. Pfft.

@troops.8276 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@troops.8276 said:

LolActually no, I appreciate that your only trying to use me as an example and project your personal interpretation of average players on to me but the reason I want better MM is because blow out games suck, regardless of which side I'm on. Close games are awesome, win or lose. There is many many things competing for my limited recreational time, mm doesn't need to be perfect but it could, as in it is actually possible, to have a slightly higher chance of fun games.And how on earth did you get that I lack empathy. Pfft.

If you want close games, then compete in the daily tournaments and not solo-queue. You're trying to factor in rng as a factor of what determines "quality" games for you, and that will honestly rarely happen regardless of what game you play. This isn't just a skill issue, but the fact that you're placed in a scenario where you're forced to work with three to four strangers who are just as volatile as you are when it comes to winning and cooperation. If you have a limited time, then find yourself a static team and do tournaments each day and call it. Also, I didn't say you lacked empathy, but you simply place people behind a number and that is the determining factor to whether you win/lose.

@Lan.1968 said:

@troops.8276 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@troops.8276 said:

If you want close games, then compete in the daily tournaments and not solo-queue. You're trying to factor in rng as a factor of what determines "quality" games for you, and that will honestly rarely happen regardless of what game you play. This isn't just a skill issue, but the fact that you're placed in a scenario where you're forced to work with three to four strangers who are just as volatile as you are when it comes to winning and cooperation. If you have a limited time, then find yourself a static team and do tournaments each day and call it. Also, I didn't say you lacked empathy, but you simply place people behind a number and that is the determining factor to whether you win/lose.

In a game of reasonably matched player ability, the trying to read the playstyle, or the personality, of the people on your team and the opponents, and using that to create plays is what I've all ways loved. Not just in online games either but even in parts of my job, I do a fair bit of safety/support vessel work where your ability to work with people you've never met in a highly dangerous, unpredictable and volatile situation is tested to the limit.But thats by the by.You've helped me see that this probably isn't the right game for me to unwind with though as I will not often enough find that here, so I thank you for that. But I'll look into the daily tournaments first, my time commitments are highly erratic, will that matter?

@troops.8276 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@troops.8276 said:

@Lan.1968 said:

@troops.8276 said:

In a game of reasonably matched player ability, the trying to read the playstyle, or the personality, of the people on your team and the opponents, and using that to create plays is what I've all ways loved. Not just in online games either but even in parts of my job, I do a fair bit of safety/support vessel work where your ability to work with people you've never met in a highly dangerous, unpredictable and volatile situation is tested to the limit.But thats by the by.You've helped me see that this probably isn't the right game for me to unwind with though as I will not often enough find that here, so I thank you for that. But I'll look into the daily tournaments first, my time commitments are highly erratic, will that matter?

If the challenge is utilizing with what you're dealt with to their maximum potential, then it'd be more satisfactory for you to win an upset using a lower skilled team against people that's better. If you can't stand stomping players with less skills than you, then give yourself a handicap. There are no limits to actually testing your skill, just as you've set a standard for what makes PvP fun for you.

You came to that conclusion yourself, and I merely guided you through the steps. There are multiple tournaments hosted at different times so I don't think time constraint is an issue.

i think anet just enjoys trolling pvp players. everytime they release an update they put something cancerous in the game. after that they read forum posts of raging players and have a nice laugh. a year later they release the patch that fixes the game. after 50% of pvp population commited suicide.

@Nix.3152 said:i think anet just enjoys trolling pvp players. everytime they release an update they put something cancerous in the game. after that they read forum posts of raging players and have a nice laugh. a year later they release a small patch that barely fixes anything in the game. after 50% of pvp population commited suicide.

i fixed it......

@Nitron.6405 said:

@"The Ace.9105" said:I can start with this picture. Damage was done 3s after the thief went stealth.

anetdeffun.png

To be fair, in order for DJ to hit that high the thief would've had to have marked someone for quite some time to build up malice.

Thats not hard to do for a 1500 range class with stealth in battle with the current meta that is a Huge AOE spam Chaos.......allot of the times you wont even gonna see that a dead eye is on you during battle until its to late........

Low risk, high reward classes dominating the meta. Fun :#

If this game actually gave a shit about risk/reward, Warrior/Necro should be unviable and conditions should be gunned down in the streets like the degenerate mechanic it is. Except the actual condition skill shots where it should actually do decent damage like Mesmer shatters for example.

Any sort of skill in this game revolves around boons/boon removal/conditions/condition removal and having passives that win matchups for you. You play the UI, not the player animations. Should watching your opponent not be where the skill is at? Thief D/P is a good example of high risk high reward, altho that's not true for this meta.

Archived