Wait - even at high ranks you can duo queue in 5v5 ranked?

Just came back to the game after 6 years and I just found out that unlike every other game you can duo queue at the very top MMR.

Is this actually true? I cannot believe that is a good thing. I wondered how people at the top had 80% win rates, now I know it is just via duo queue abusing.

Please fix this before the next season or there is no competitive integrity in the ladder. Make it impossible to duo queue above 1650 or something. Otherwise people will duo with friends and stomp at the top level.

Suggestion: On the leaderboard show the % someone queues solo so we can see who is just there abusing duo queue

There is no competitive integrity in GW2 ladder anyway. GW2 also is a casual game and ppl want to have fun duoing with a friend to at least have a chance to carry the clownfiesta and play PvP without getting brain bleeding. Just don't take rank serious and play to have fun and kick some hindquarters.

@Lordrosicky.5813 said:Otherwise people will duo with friends and stomp at the top level.

Im pretty sure thats the only reason why the top ranked duos still play this game. If you came back looking for fair competitive pvp, ive got some bad news for you. Just play for fun, or find a good duo partner and join in the ladder climbing meta game.

you can 5man queue rainbow 6 siege and nobody whines about it.the reason why 2man wins over 1man so hard is becouse general population is SUPER DUPER bad, its not DUO abusing, its abusing shit players with shit matchmaking.The fact that I have games where I go 35/0 in plat 2 and then get gigastomped shows how bad the popolation is.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:you can 5man queue rainbow 6 siege and nobody whines about it.the reason why 2man wins over 1man so hard is becouse general population is SUPER DUPER bad, its not DUO abusing, its abusing kitten players with kitten matchmaking.The fact that I have games where I go 35/0 in plat 2 and then get gigastomped shows how bad the popolation is.

Pretty sure ANet straight up said there’s a massive disparity in performance between top players and the other 95% of the population. The comment was about PvE and raid dps output. But there’s no reason to believe it’s any different in PvP. The game does a piss poor job of teaching players how to rotate, prioritize or even what’s good choice strategically and what’s a no no.

@ArlAlt.1630 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:you can 5man queue rainbow 6 siege and nobody whines about it.the reason why 2man wins over 1man so hard is becouse general population is SUPER DUPER bad, its not DUO abusing, its abusing kitten players with kitten matchmaking.The fact that I have games where I go 35/0 in plat 2 and then get gigastomped shows how bad the popolation is.

Pretty sure ANet straight up said there’s a massive disparity in performance between top players and the other 95% of the population. The comment was about PvE and raid dps output. But there’s no reason to believe it’s any different in PvP. The game does a kitten poor job of teaching players how to rotate, prioritize or even what’s good choice strategically and what’s a no no.

You are 100% right. It's not any different. It was the reason given when DuoQ was restricted in the first place. Top players stacked together represent like maybe 000000.1% of the total active population, give or take.

Combine that with a matchmaker that will continuously reach lower and lower to find you a game if it can't find you any competition appropriate to your level, and you have an actual recipe for disaster and abuse.

It makes the population issue a self-perpetuating one, because you get people like the op here who come back to the game, or come into the game for the first time and immediately get matched against two of the best players in the game, stacked together on one team. It is nonsensical to think that's anything but a drain and will keep people coming back for more.

Like yes; it's true, the root issue and why merging DuoQ with SoloQs doesn't work is because the population is too low, but because Merged queues are unfair and don't work in the current population, the low population issue cannot ever even begin to be remedied.It isn't sustainable, and that should be obvious. Like 80-90% of people SoloQ; and i'm not making that stat up, but for the sake of 10-20% of people, 80-90% of players have to play at a disadvantage. Drain on the population that kills all sense of competition.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Pretty sure ANet straight up said there’s a massive disparity in performance between top players and the other 95% of the population. The comment was about PvE and raid dps output. But there’s no reason to believe it’s any different in PvP. The game does a kitten poor job of teaching players how to rotate, prioritize or even what’s good choice strategically and what’s a no no.

You are 100% right. It's not any different. It was the reason given when DuoQ was restricted in the first place. Top players stacked together represent like maybe 000000.1% of the total active population, give or take.

Combine that with a matchmaker that will continuously reach lower and lower to find you a game if it can't find you any competition appropriate to your level, and you have an actual recipe for disaster and abuse.

It makes the population issue a self-perpetuating one, because you get people like the op here who come back to the game, or come into the game for the first time and immediately get matched against two of the best players in the game, stacked together on one team. It is nonsensical to think that's anything but a drain and will keep people coming back for more.

Like yes; it's true, the root issue and why merging DuoQ with SoloQs doesn't work is because the population is too low, but because Merged queues are unfair and don't work in the current population, the low population issue cannot ever even begin to be remedied.It isn't sustainable, and that should be obvious. Like 80-90% of people SoloQ; and i'm not making that stat up, but for the sake of 10-20% of people, 80-90% of players have to play at a disadvantage. Drain on the population that kills all sense of competition.

Yeh it might stop be playing again honestly. In the original solo queue leaderboards (pure solo queue before any expansions) I actually had 3 of the top 4 accounts or something at the end of it. It was a lot of fun because I finally had a level playing field to prove I was the best without going against stacked teams. I obviously don't expect to even get high up now at all as I am a more casual player now (and haven't played for 6 years and even at the end of when I did play I was a casual before). I don't really like grouping up with people and probably will just quit again sooner rather than later if this isn't fixed.

I would settle for a new column on the leaderboard showing solo queue % so we can see who is just a duo abuser and who is actually good.

We get a lot of talk from the “high” end “top” players even laughing at the idea of a solo q ladder becuz every match is “uncarriable clownfiestas”. But the reality of the matter is that low population doesn’t = your right and should be able to duo.That said around season 9 or 10 when duo q was restricted at plat2 level none of these “top tier” players where even top tier and if they didn’t want to play it’s becuz they would be farmed by the same ppl they made fun of.I honestly don’t get why they reverted it when the main problem was the same ppl who used to duo q were the ones match manipulating in the basically solo q only version