[WvW] "New" Thief, some builds I've been using

Shroud.2307

Before I begin, I put "new" in quotations because it isn't my first time playing Thief and I've been playing GW2 for many years. This is just the first time I've decided to really put effort in to improving with Thief where as all the other times I've tried, which has been many, I've deleted it out of frustration with myself.

I'm not necessarily looking for combat tips as I understand mechanics quite well, but I'm curious what others think about the following builds and my experiences with them.

Build #1

Build #2

Build #1 was the one I began with. I think the stats are a lot more practical but some how I felt like I was taking too much damage and not dealing enough. I tried a variety of trait and weapon combinations looking for something that I could learn with. Staff, S/P, S/D were all too unforgiving and/or didn't deal enough damage. I really enjoy P/P with Bound but it isn't very good for obvious reasons.

After I got sick of dying all the time I started to experiment with stats again hoping to find something that might work better. When I thought about how little damage Dagger auto attacks did post-February nerfs and how there's a trait, "Hidden Killer", that grants 100% Critical Chance when attacking from Stealth I thought, hm... Maybe I go for 0% crit chance but lots of Power and Ferocity?

I'm finding Build #2 works quite well. Although I rarely crit when not Stealth attacking my auto attacks aren't doing a whole lot less damage than they would if I was critting ( 700 - 900 non-crit's versus 1k - 1.1k crits on previous build ). Not only that but my Backstabs are doing more damage with this build because I have higher Ferocity. I'm regularly seeing 7 - 10k followed by a few 4 - 6k follow up attacks depending on what I use next.

I haven't had a lot of time to get in to 1 v 1's or 1 v X as of yet, it has mostly been team fights or large scale stuff where I'm skirting around spiking people. So for that reason I'm figuring any conclusions I come to about Build #2 may not be correct when I find myself in an actual fight.

That leads me to my question(s); do you have any recommendations for someone who is a slow learner and trying to get serious with Thief? Do you think this build can work despite the gimmick? If so, do you have any tips on how I might exploit the strength of my builds high armor and damage potential?If you have anything else you'd like to add please go ahead. Note: I'm not interested in hearing "thAt BUiLd SuCkS". I know they're both suboptimal, that's why I'm asking questions.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780"

Using HK for crit is an interesting concept I’ve fooled around with a little in the recent past.

The biggest weakness in HK for a 1v1 is the risk of fighting a profession that has reveal and can use that to consistently prevent you from cycling stealth for your damage bonus.

Another potential downfall is that someone who kites well may be able to avoid your damage window consistently even if you aren’t facing reveal.

Also, your HK window is so short the build almost requires some degree of quickness to max out your burst damage during that time.

You may also consider going Core, dropping DD for DA. You already have Withdraw and RfI on your bar for mobility and aren’t using Bounding Dodger so you aren’t losing a combo with Black Powder. What you could gain from DA is 160 power from Dagger Training and up to 200 power from Revealed training (+360) when spiking as you are already a stealth gank with HK you might as well bonus it up. Then take Haste in place of the signet. I’d also take Improv so you can reset utilities and get more stolen skills.

This means slightly less power but you get to strike with 100% crit and quickness and almost as much power.

@saerni.2584 said:@"SpellOfIniquity.1780"

Using HK for crit is an interesting concept I’ve fooled around with a little in the recent past.

The biggest weakness in HK for a 1v1 is the risk of fighting a profession that has reveal and can use that to consistently prevent you from cycling stealth for your damage bonus.

Another potential downfall is that someone who kites well may be able to avoid your damage window consistently even if you aren’t facing reveal.

Also, your HK window is so short the build almost requires some degree of quickness to max out your burst damage during that time.

You may also consider going Core, dropping DD for DA. You already have Withdraw and RfI on your bar for mobility and aren’t using Bounding Dodger so you aren’t losing a combo with Black Powder. What you could gain from DA is 160 power from Dagger Training and up to 200 power from Revealed training (+360) when spiking as you are already a stealth gank with HK you might as well bonus it up. Then take Haste in place of the signet. I’d also take Improv so you can reset utilities and get more stolen skills.

This means slightly less power but you get to strike with 100% crit and quickness and almost as much power.

What about Infiltrator's Signet instead of RFI? I'd keep Assassin's Signet, but push for the extra engage. Lean into shadowstep > backstab. I'd also say adding DA instead of DD might be good. Dagger bonus, reveal training, and the longer range on Steal to improve capacity to just reach target and stab.

The idea is really cool, and I kinda want to try it now!

@saerni.2584 said:@"SpellOfIniquity.1780"

Very helpful info, thank you.

I think I will tinker with core a bit. Good to hear the stat alignment isn't out of reason even if not the best.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780"

A side note, to maximize your effectiveness you may want to consider using Sigil of Celerity. It’s 5 seconds of quickness on a 20 second cooldown. Landing your steal with daze should count and that will give you 5 more seconds even when haste is on cooldown.