Some ideas to tone down CC

Zexanima.7851

Not all of these may be "good" suggestions, I'm just brainstorming here. I'm also not suggesting do all of these things either.

• In PvP CC could be single target. CC is high value and should be used with meaning, not just spammed into a group of bodies.
  • CC skills could have cooldowns on par with stun breaks.
  • Give professions short amounts of stab on some weapon skills.
  • Getting CC'ed 3 times in short succession grants 2 seconds of CC immunity buff ( not stab).

While it's a "soft" CC, immob is pretty powerful in a game that has lots of play around movement and positioning. Here are some suggestions around that

• Stun breaks remove immob
  • Stability affects immob (this is potentially a bad idea as it will reduce the effectiveness of stability)
  • Give some boon immob immunity (super speed, quickness, or something, idk)
  • Just reduce sources of immob to be on par with hard CC

Resistance already lets you ignore immob, so that already exists. I also dont think making stunbreaks remove immob, or stability affect it, is a good idea. Cleanses already exist for it. Maybe make condi builds not have so many though, since against them cleanses need to hit the damaging stuff.

@UNOwen.7132 said:Resistance already lets you ignore immob, so that already exists. I also dont think making stunbreaks remove immob, or stability affect it, is a good idea. Cleanses already exist for it. Maybe make condi builds not have so many though, since against them cleanses need to hit the damaging stuff.

I thought about the whole resistance thing but it's so infrequent that using it on immob isn't usually practical. Plus most professions that can spam immob will out immob your resistance duration. I agree with the last point though, the best solution in this case is probably just reducing the immob sources

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@UNOwen.7132 said:Resistance already lets you ignore immob, so that already exists. I also dont think making stunbreaks remove immob, or stability affect it, is a good idea. Cleanses already exist for it. Maybe make condi builds not have so many though, since against them cleanses need to hit the damaging stuff.

I thought about the whole resistance thing but it's so infrequent that using it on immob isn't usually practical. Plus most professions that can spam immob will out immob your resistance duration. I agree with the last point though, the best solution in this case is probably just reducing the immob sources

Thief sword 2 waves at you.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:Not all of these may be "good" suggestions, I'm just brainstorming here. I'm also not suggesting do all of these things either.

• In PvP CC could be single target. CC is high value and should be used with meaning, not just spammed into a group of bodies.
  • Getting CC'ed 3 times in short succession grants 2 seconds of CC immunity buff ( not stab).

While it's a "soft" CC, immob is pretty powerful in a game that has lots of play around movement and positioning. Here are some suggestions around that

• Stability affects immob (this is potentially a bad idea as it will reduce the effectiveness of stability)

Good thoughts. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I definitely agree that hard CC and especially IMMOB is out of control in the current meta and needs to be trimmed.

Resistance is not a good counter to immob. First, some classes have no access to resistance whatsoever. Second, most of those that do have it in extremely limited amounts. Meanwhile, immob is spammable and, while it does have other counters (e.g. cleanse), it has gotten far more powerful because dodging is relatively more powerful than it used to be and immob prevents dodging. Even if you cleanse it, the setup will likely succeed because the entire point was to prevent you from dodging (and/or moving) momentarily.

It's something I think needs to be addressed along with CC in general. It's too much and it makes the gameplay less enjoyable where I think it would otherwise be just fine.

CC should not be nerfed. The way the stunbreak system / boon application and Utilities work is where the problem is. Without adding more depth or separation of defensive / offensive options into a different resource system, then the best they could probably do right now is not make CCs overlap so that timing is more required and leaving a possibility escape window if a chain isnt tight enough.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:Not all of these may be "good" suggestions, I'm just brainstorming here. I'm also not suggesting do all of these things either.

Some of the mentioned points will will resolved organically, as the devs mentioned few of the CC skills that were originally designed to do both big damage and CC will be changed to get one of the 2(ATM, all CC skills are set to have close to 0 dmg). So some of the current CC skills will be changed to dmg skills in the future. This will result in power damage going up and CC spam going down(2 very frequent complains).

Regarding immob, with low condi duration meta, immob is very easy to counter. Most, if not all classes have an anti immob trait which shuts down the mechanic. Many of the ranger's immob skills are a 1 sec pulses of 1 sec immob duration, so even a small condi reduction will give you the option to get out of the immob between pulses.

@LughLongArm.5460 said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:Not all of these may be "good" suggestions, I'm just brainstorming here. I'm also not suggesting do
all
of these things either.

Some of the mentioned points will will resolved organically, as the devs mentioned few of the CC skills that were originally designed to do both big damage and CC will be changed to get one of the 2(ATM, all CC skills are set to have close to 0 dmg). So some of the current CC skills will be changed to dmg skills in the future. This will result in power damage going up and CC spam going down(2 very frequent complains).

It wont, actually. The problematic CC skills right now are the ones that never did much damage. Theyre low cast time CC skills with long durations. They wont be changed.

Regarding immob, with low condi duration meta, immob is very easy to counter. Most, if not all classes have an anti immob trait which shuts down the mechanic. Many of the ranger's immob skills are a 1 sec pulses of 1 sec immob duration, so even a small condi reduction will give you the option to get out of the immob between pulses.

There is no good way of getting reduced condi duration. I dont there is any other than specific foods in WvW.

From the recent "balance" patch, it should be clear that Arenanet wants CC to be oppressive and unfun.If Arenanet wanted to tone down CC, they'd have removed CC from weapon skills instead of removing the damage.They also would have given break bars to players in PvP and WvW.