Group content required for story completion

The latest story requires 5-10 man instanced content in order to complete it. Anet has not required group content for story since the original Zhaitan fight which they later changed to be soloable.

Making group content required for the story is a step backwards.I prefer my first playthrough of new story content to be done solo so that I don't have the distraction of another player. Now, not only do I need another player, but if my friends arent online and willing to do it with me I am stuck with randoms who are even more of a disruption to my enjoyment of lore and story.

I know anet wants to push players into trying out strikes but this is not the way to do it.A chapter in my story journal should not require group content.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So realistically the only thing of concern here is the position of the content within the UI. Because this isn't main story and it isn't required to progress to ep3 when it comes out. It is just filler content (and quite good fun I have to say) between the actual episodes

If they moved it to a different part of the achievement UI, I take it it would no longer be an issue?

edit: Someone suggested LS1 would be locked behind the group stuff. If that is true, then I agree with your point because I don't think LS1 should be locked away behind future content - solo or group

@Randulf.7614 said:So realistically the only thing of concern here is the position of the content within the UI. Because this isn't main story and it isn't required to progress to ep3 when it comes out. It is just filler content (and quite good fun I have to say) between the actual episodes

If they moved it to a different part of the achievement UI, I take it it would no longer be an issue?

Yeah, if it was moved to say, current events, I would be less bothered by it. But the fact that it is in the story journal seems to indicate that it will be more directly meaningful to the main story than dungeons or other side events.

They have added content to the game before without it being in the story journal.

So the normal story progression does require this? Yeah I remember Zhaitan. Happy they changed it - so I could finally finish it. HoT at the point where I'm now has an achievement (Migraine) that requires a group. Normal story progression was possible solo - if you ignore the optional achievements.

From what I understand there is one of these newer strike missions required? Doesn't the system have a public map where you don't need to search players (where it might lead to trouble with experienced players only wanting to team up with otherr experienced/meta players)? I only did the snowman lair strike mission during winter event where that system worked fine for me. (Since I'm still doing older stuff until I reach the point where I can start Icebrood Saga.)

I try to avoid premade groups (lfg and stuff, until it is a huge squad for farming or zerging where others don't evaluate you) for above mentioned reasons: I might make mistakes and I'm afraid of those pro players that expect others to play meta 100 percent efficience dps maxed, etc.

@Luthan.5236 said:So the normal story progression does require this? Yeah I remember Zhaitan. Happy they changed it - so I could finally finish it. HoT at the point where I'm now has an achievement (Migraine) that requires a group. Normal story progression was possible solo - if you ignore the optional achievements.

From what I understand there is one of these newer strike missions required? Doesn't the system have a public map where you don't need to search players (where it might lead to trouble with experienced players only wanting to team up with otherr experienced/meta players)? I only did the snowman lair strike mission during winter event where that system worked fine for me. (Since I'm still doing older stuff until I reach the point where I can start Icebrood Saga.)

I try to avoid premade groups (lfg and stuff, until it is a huge squad for farming or zerging where others don't evaluate you) for above mentioned reasons: I might make mistakes and I'm afraid of those pro players that expect others to play meta 100 percent efficience dps maxed, etc.

This is not part of the normal story. Just some side story back filler. It also isn't really a strike mission either, but it works the same way in having a public option.

There's no difficulty or tactics to it really. There's some optional things to do - it really just moves on like a long open world event chain with a boss at the end. The most amount of work generally involves keeping the tank alive which doesn't really come into play until the end.

It also has the appearance of something very interesting for the GW1 vets about halfway through....but I wont spoil that

Overall, its a fun piece of content and my main fear about losing my build was unfounded

I personally really enjoyed it despite the several bugs I encountered. But! I do agree that it needs a solo option for people that would rather that. Not a "can be solo'd if you're max special uber l337 alpha gamer with a pro chair" kind of solo. But, the same (or relatively the same) pacing as all the other story content in the game.

After making that an option, please add more public story missions with optional solo because I really enjoyed hoping around with a couple of other people and playing with the tank.

@"SkyCakeLight.3750" said:I personally really enjoyed it despite the several bugs I encountered. But! I do agree that it needs a solo option for people that would rather that. Not a "can be solo'd if you're max special uber l337 alpha gamer with a pro chair" kind of solo. But, the same (or relatively the same) pacing as all the other story content in the game.

After making that an option, please add more public story missions with optional solo because I really enjoyed hoping around with a couple of other people and playing with the tank.

It is at least a little encouraging that I have heard it can be done with <5 people if they have a basic understanding of what they are doing. So when I am able to grab some friends I won't have to grab for a full 10 people.

Still a little frustrating that it's group oriented content to begin with, but not like my complaining will change it now. I just hope this isn't the start of a trend.

I didnt like that... I dont play guild wars 2 to farm a story mission instance... the push to strike is not my cup of tea... what happen to behind in a fantasy world... now everything must be instance all the way... And the crystall thingy is just complicate for the sake of beind complicate... I appreciate that they try something new, but I didnt like that.

@"SkyCakeLight.3750" said:I personally really enjoyed it despite the several bugs I encountered. But! I do agree that it needs a solo option for people that would rather that. Not a "can be solo'd if you're max special uber l337 alpha gamer with a pro chair" kind of solo. But, the same (or relatively the same) pacing as all the other story content in the game.

If you could do the previous episodes of HoT, PoF and the LS 3 and 4 then you should have no problems with this mission. It is really not very difficult.

@"jinxykat.6519" said:I thought it was extremely fun (went with a public group) Honestly, players shouldn't be so turned off by group play, it IS an mmorpg, after all.

MMOS =/= 5-10 instanced content. it means being online with other players.

TBH i havent done it yet, but im probably on Mewcififrs side here unless i can solo it on my ele which i suck at playing. They removed group content from the original story for a reason, this thankfully is a side story and if it wasnt for anet probably wanting players to do it, would mean it would be under current events normally instead of "Story missions."

@"Bowdon.1948" said:Do anyone know how to get the vehicle to harpoon the gate? It just comes up as zero damage on the gate, so does using the weapons. I only damage the gate sometimes when using a bow and arrow.

It seems you have to harpoon the gate and after a while (maybe it is at a timer, maybe several players have to do it) the gate bursts open.

I do have a strange bug with the skills of the tank. When I press "1" I can activate tank skill 1. But for the other tank skills (2,3...) I have to klick with the mouse on the skill to activate it.

EDIT: First you have to target the two Warding Seals on the gate and destroy them and then you have to target the Weak spot on the gate and break the break bar with spamming tank skill 3 (harpoon) and then the gate rips open.

@"Raknar.4735" said:Yeah, the push for lobby based instanced content also isn't my thing and is weird. Nothing massive about that content.

However, there is something VERY multiplayer about it.

This whole thread boils down to "I don't like playing with other people, so arenanet should NEVER make any more new coop content EVER and no one else should be allowed to have it either!"

@Raknar.4735 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:Yeah, the push for lobby based instanced content also isn't my thing and is weird. Nothing massive about that content.

Yeah, but nothing with massively multiplayer. Just lobby multiplayer /shrug

Ah yes, so dungeons should never be allowed in an MMO ever, gotcha. Everyone knows successful MMOs only have 100% completely single player experiences or 100 people blobfests with nothing in between. Of course, how have all these other successful MMOs survived with all their 5 and 10 man dungeons. Clearly they need to get with the times.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:Yeah, the push for lobby based instanced content also isn't my thing and is weird. Nothing massive about that content.

This whole thread boils down to "I don't like playing with other people, so arenanet should NEVER make any more new coop content EVER and no one else should be allowed to have it either!"

Not at all, if thats what you took from it i do kinda laugh.

Story in this game, hasnt required other players since the downgrade of Zhaitan, that is a good thing IMO, story should be about the -players- character, and choosing to join in on someone elses story should be that, a choice. You dont need other players at all to defeat Mordremoth(unless doing the challenge mote and that is again a choice), Zhaitan, Balthazar, any LS1, 2, 3 or 4 boss and it should stay that way.

CO-OP is fine, CO-OP is fun, but IMO keep it away from story. While i dont like raids, strikes etc they do have a place in this game, i just dont want that place to stop me from doing -MY- characters story.

HOWEVER This is a side story, shoved for some reason into the story journal, which again is fine. But if players dont express their feelings on the requirements etc nothing will change moving forward.

@Raknar.4735 said:I've never said that a MMO can only have 1 person or 100 person though. That's something you're accusing me off :DReality is that MMOs also have single player content, so telling the OP to play another game is still wrong.

I'm not demanding they stop making single player encounters in the game, the OP is trying to prevent ANET from making multiplayer content. See the difference?

Also you very clearly have stated several times now that MMO means MASSIVE only and NOT multiplayer.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:I've never said that a MMO can only have 1 person or 100 person though. That's something you're accusing me off :DReality is that MMOs also have single player content, so telling the OP to play another game is still wrong.

I'm not demanding they stop making single player encounters in the game, the OP is trying to prevent ANET from making multiplayer content. See the difference?Also you very clearly have stated several times now that MMO means MASSIVE only and NOT multiplayer.

He's actually not demanding Anet to stop making MP content, just saying that there should be a strict line between story and Strike Missions/Multiplayer modes.

Well, guess I'll just not shorten it and always call it MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME. Is that better? :D