Super Adventure Festival 2020

Laevateinn.6289

• What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?

W1Z1 Definitely.This is the one part of SAB that really feels like a retro style RPG/adventure game tbh and despite it's easy difficulty it's the one level most of all I enjoy coming back to.The W2 stuff while still fun does tend to feel more like it's pushing for challenge over anything else, that's not a bad thing but it does diminish the fun element of replayability for me so I usually only replay W1 and rarely W2.

• Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?

No idea, tbh I don't feel like a weekly vendor is all that worth it for festivals.

• What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?

1) This ones easy, New world!!! lolI'm only semi joking there, Im more new to SAB than most long time players as I really didn't get into SAB for a good few years but now that I have I am picking up on the same festival problem that has persisted in Gw2 for a long time.It seems to take a long time for Anet to really splash in new festival content and this has a bad habit of making festivals feel repetitive and stagnant.For years Halloween and Winteresday mostly suffered from this with many calling for something new or some big changes so it's not just a cut and paste copy of the previous year.. and eventually we did get some new things like mount races and the return of reapers rumble etc (We're still waiting on the continuation and replayability of the Halloween story though)With SAB specifically.. we have not seen a new world in 7 years and the holiday has been annual for 4.. that is a stupidly long time to not have any continuation to this content and I really wish festivals would get more love and attention than just new rewards every year.. specially now that there are so many of them.It's very easy to get festival fatigue in Gw2 because of how many there are now and how little they change each year.

2) This one is more a QOL change that has been requested for years.. Baubles and Coins in the Wallet.I don't know if there are reasons why this was never done but surely there must be a way to make it happen, I don't have many myself but I collect them year round thanks to the home instance node so they do take up bank space.. as someone who has maxed out the bank tab cap and is desperate for more bank storage space I don't like wasting slots on SAB currencies.

3) This last one directly relates to what new SAB content I would like to see.Well im a sucker for old games, I still own a lot of retro consoles and games that i've had from my childhood.With the addition of certain new mechanics and events being added as recently as Icebrood Saga, I think there is some room there for some pretty fun new SAB content.

First thing that comes to mind is a minigame that mimics an on rails shooter, We've already seen something similar to this in Grothmar Valley.Put us on a moving platform (like the raft in W2) and challenge us to hit as many targets as possible.

Lastly I think the idea of a 2D side scroller would be pretty fun to have in SAB too, specially if it would push along like some Mario levels and you had to keep up or get smash bros style off screen killed ^^This again would probably take a lot of work to do so I don't expect it will ever come around but it would still be pretty fun if Anet could find a way to replicate a 2D environment in Gw2..

Only other thing I'd like to see would be a hookshoot style weapon we could use to pull enemies to us or pull ourselves to certain locations.It could mimic the Oakheart's Reach skill which frankly is one of the most fun mastery abilities in Gw2 and severely underused imo.

Guess that's all I can think of atm, can't wait for SAB this year ^^

I'm so happy there's at least a tiny sliver of hope for the future of SAB!!!! Thanks for this!!!

1. Favorite level: The first level (first 3 zones). I love these because they have a wonderful aesthetic and just the right amount of length. I love exploring the side areas for secrets along the way.

2. Weekly vendor: I would like to see mystic coins and mystic clovers added in greater numbers, even if they cost more.

3. Future SAB content: Obviously worlds 3+4!!! But in the meantime, I would love to see some sort of collection challenge minigame within the Box. You know how Super Mario has little challenges to find 8 hidden red coins? Or grab all 5 blue coins within a time limit? That could be fun.

Other ideas:

• Foot races vs. an NPC or player
  • Carry Challenge: You have to pick up Princess Miya(Moto) and carry her/him to the end of the level without dropping her/him. Add extra enemies to make it a challenge.
  • Hide and Seek: You have to find Princess Miya hiding somewhere in the level within the time limit. Random locations.
  • I would pay top dollar for SAB mount skins
  • SAB armor skins? Partial armor maybe? Shoulders and helm would look cool with the backpacks.
  • SAB harvesting sickle and mining pick to go along with the logging bear
  • Any new rewards we can earn besides weapon skins... tonics maybe? Dare I hope for a SAB combat tonic? Minis, chairs, gliders, mail carriers, etc. Literally anything within reason.

What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?

World 2 Zone 1. I love the Aesthetic. Crocs, Rivers, Falling Logs, Launchers, and Burning Trees all add to the adventure feel. It's long, but it's not too Long. World 2 Zone 2 and Zone 3 have interesting designs, but could easily have been split into 2 levels each because they're just too long.

Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?

I don't think many people care too much about the Weekly Vendor, if we're being honest. Most people I know just use it to get a Tyrian Exchange Voucher.

What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?

"I want a new World, only spend time on that!". To an extent.

Recent additions to World 1 and 2 are a bit strange, as they're the only Account Bound upgrades in all of SAB, and all the adventures and races and such run the very real risk of cluttering World 1 and 2. I wouldn't mind seeing some more events in the Hub, that would be fun! But I think there is enough stuff in Worlds 1 and 2.

I would like to see the "Shortening" that was done to World 2 smoothed out a bit. Not removed, but a re-evaluation of parts that were skipped, or even just a polish pass to make the new routes more clear and obvious in places.

@Nevra.5489 said:Baubles collect time trial or speedrun the worlds. with a daily and monthly(weekly) leaderboard with rewards like in gw1 for the challenger missions. this could be added to all the challenges and races in the hole gw2 universe.Please don't add any reward for the best times. I can agree with the rest of the post, but don't put any reward for the top scores. There are too many cheaters in SAB (I remember several people - also in my guild - that completed the course in 5 seconds). New rewards would only increase the cheaters. Then ANET will ban again thousands of players (like a couple of years ago) and ppl will start crying because it's unfair.

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:Finally, if you have a few minutes I'd like to collect a little feedback about the Super Adventure Festival. Feel free to answer the following questions to help us make the game, and the game within the game, better than ever!

• What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?In order;
  1. Storm Top
  2. Rapids
  3. Dark Woods
  4. Sunny Glade
  5. Kingdom of Fungus......12 Pain Cliffs.
  • Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?

Gems. I mean we already have gold to gems. Why not toss 100 gems weekly or something?

Other than that literally everything in the common tier of Black Lion Chests seem appropriate for weekly rewards. Metabolic and Utility Primers, Black Lion Lockbreaker Kit, Black Lion Ticket Scraps. All good options.

Honestly I'd rather see the Mystic Clovers and Tyrian Exchange Voucher get a price cut. Aside from Lunar New Year I've always thought they are far too expensive.

• What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?

More than anything Worlds 3-4. That's literally all I want.

Other than that I'd like to see a time trial mode which puts a difficult time limit to completing levels with special rewards when you do so and keeps track of the best speed runs like adventures and beetle races.

What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?The rapids, It really hit the sweet spot in terms of difficulty and length with amazing music to boot (after the water spouts were adjusted while I was sad to see them go, the same with the flowers becoming static, but I think it needed to happen because being denied progress because of latency is not fun).

W2Z2 is really cool too, but it has almost too much stuff, much of it really cool for the first time though (thank god to the shortcut eagle or I'd never do repeat playthroughs of this zone).

Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?Maybe limited quantities of some new/past (map) currencies, although I am pretty sure this goes against the point of map specific currencies a bit but it is limited quantities for a limited time, so why not :).

What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?Secrets, secrets and more secrets... I want a new world but looking for hidden things is/was the best part of SAB (because those hidden things also come with potential for references).

I want a new world too of course, something watery or sky themed for example (I mean every good game like this needs an underwater level, but some of the new tech you guys have, namely moving platforms would be super cool too). I am not sure how easy this would be, compared to a new world or a level, but some alternate routes (with secrets ;)) for the existing worlds would be cool too.

Edit: how about a secret exit? (not sure what finding it would get you, but that would kind of be a secret and an alternate route in one, but I am probably going way past the sort of stuff you had in mind when you asked).

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:

Ascended salvage tools/kits in the weekly vendor. They're really expensive most of the time and quite rare from fractals or the reliquary. Something financially worthwhile from the weekly vendor would be really cool.

Also I have lots of faith in you guys to make some really sick SAB stuff but a new world would be a main priority if it were up to me.

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:

• What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?W2Z2
  • Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?Mystic Clovers
  • What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?Don't care about mini games, only more worlds. This is the only part of the whole game where rewards are essentially irrelevant to me. I simply enjoy the gameplay content alone and don't really care about rewards from it. It's a nice little vacation from the rest of the game for a couple weeks a year and I would like to see it expanded upon in the way that was intended years ago.

I absolutely hate mini games with a passion and really wish they weren't in the game. To me they aren't content. It pains me to think that devs have spent time implementing them into the game instead of making real content. They are a carry over from console games where mini games were expected and if a new release didn't have one the player base would be disappointed. The only time I play them is when I'm forced to in order to complete dailies. If players are so keen for mini games why don't they just get out their gameboys and play them ?

ok, I give you some feedback:

I hate SAB and I would love to see it go away. I would not mind its existance, if all the horrible blocky pseudo 8bit stuff would be contained there.

But those horrible graphics and noises will be carried everywhere. AND I HATE THEM. I have to turn off a lot of sounds I usually enjoy, just not to be tortured with those horrible warhorn and boombox sounds.

Really, give me an option to block out all SAB related content. kthxbye.

ps. Unlike most people who love SAB, I lived and played during the 8 bit era. I do not wish to go back to those horrors.

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:

• What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?every stage has its charm, so i hope that none of the answers given for this one make you go " we need to add the same stage again" kind of idea. make unique stages, though you can merge mechanics to make the entire SAB go full circle in that department

• Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?makes no sense to do it weekly. many thing that people want to acquire go beyond the number of weeks a festival is active, specially if you can only buy ONE piece every week. daily may be the most tolerable as it allows plays without 2-3 accounts to actually craft ONE thing during on year and not leave them ahnging for 3-4 more years for ONE item or make them buy those materials overpriced on the TP

• What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?A non gem store, purely in game effortable SAB outfit, tied to a meta achievement perhaps or baubles, just something to complete the look as a SAB adventurer with the back packs, gliders and weapons.. an 8 bit outfit. something that may make any character a SAB version of the race they currently play as (similar to town cloths that are different based on race)( and a super mace that is NOT a flail please, basically how super maces were back when SAB first came out)

What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?The first world zone. It's colorful, it has some secrets, but it's not too frustrating.

Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?Some cheap BLC items, like the revive orb, bank and tp access, repair cannister.

What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?Honestly all I want is to be able to store baubles in the material storage.

Just want to say that I'm super happy to hear that SAB worlds are being worked on again. That news made my day!

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:

• What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?

Mine is probably 1-1. I just like the small cutscene at the beginning, as well as the easygoing atmosphere and the feeling of starting a new adventure.

This is not necessarily a weekly vendor thing, more like a general reward, but I'd love for SAB reward vendors to feature SAB-themed bottomless tonics and minis.

Other than new worlds, I'd also really like a SAB-themed lounge, preferably featuring year-round entry access to SAB (rewards could be disabled outside of the duration of the festival, I'd just want to play for fun). It could also feature SAB vendors and, naturally, a train of SAB characters waltzing through every once in a while.

Maybe SAB mount skins? I'm not sure how that'd work, but I'd buy it. :lol:

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:Hey everyone, it's that time of year when spring is in the air and our minds turn to the timeless seasonal pursuit of collecting baubles. There are some timing changes to the Super Adventure Festival this year that we don't want to take you by surprise, so let's get to it.

The Super Adventure Festival will activate in mid-April this year, instead of overlapping with April 1st. The Super Adventure Box originally started as an April Fools' Day joke, but it's expanded into a real festival over time. Since we usually do a little something for April Fools' Day anyway, having that minor holiday overlapping Super Adventure Festival caused a yearly headache to ship both events simultaneously or temporarily turned off. This year we're going to give the Super Adventure Festival some space from the 1st to let it and April Fools' stand independently.

This doesn't mean a new World is happening this year. There will be new secrets to find in the Box, a new meta achievement reward and a new set of weapons to collect – a different twist on the original set rather than the usual new color – but the doors to Worlds 3 and 4 will remain shut. However, we haven't given up on a larger addition to the Super Adventure Box, and even if it isn't this year or the next, we'll be chipping away at it behind the scenes. You may even see some new assets in the Box this year from outside the Worlds you know…

Finally, if you have a few minutes I'd like to collect a little feedback about the Super Adventure Festival. Feel free to answer the following questions to help us make the game, and the game within the game, better than ever!

For me it would be W2Z2 Pain Cliffs, where the game drastically opens up. The puzzlework is masterfully done, especially enjoyed the gong section.I think the upgrades are also important, as the flute really rounds up the secrets of the game.

An SAB strike mission! A race as well would be wonderful.

What's your favorite level in Super Adventure Box? Is there anything in particular that sets it above the rest it for you?

• I liked the w1z2 -really liked the idea of climbing trees and exploration, except One hostile rock in tribulation mode w1z2, The one that players needs to jump on top of . My suggestion is to have that rock slightly less jumpy, or have a checkpoint shortly before it.

Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?lvl80 gadgets/consumables (whip, boomerang, bomb , etc)

What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future?

• Super craft dig and build festival,(homage to minecraft & digger)
  • mount race combat world (similar to rollerbeatle racing of gw1)
  • Super adventure Guildhall

This could be my first forum post, I usually prefer reddit, but SAB is one thing that will definitely make me go out of my way to leave feedback. First off, thank you Anet for the amazing and heartening news!! Even if there's no W3 this year, just knowing that you have plans for it in ANY future makes me so glad. Thanks for all the recent communication overall, GW2 redemption arc confirmed \o/

W2Z1. It has a nice color palette and variety, map verticality, rapids are freaking awesome. The huge waterfall with wood logs is at the same time most frustrating and most fun thing to me. Also W2Z1 has the best difficulty balance to my taste, later zones become increasingly more annoying than fun.

Last year, Super Adventure Festival was the first festival to introduce a Weekly Vendor. What new items would you like to see on the Weekly Vendor?

I'd like to see Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks or Skritt Gang Contracts! Something rewarding for veteran players with tons of account progression.

What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future? It's fine to respond "I want a new World, only spend time on that!" but are there other kinds of gameplay or minigames you'd enjoy in the meantime?

Crazy ideas but.. Something like tetris, snake, or candy-crush-like minigame?Also more small secret areas and interactions please \o/

Yay, that's so great news about World 3 and 4, I honestly didn't expect that! So many surprises from you guys in the last time, keep up the good work! :)

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:

I really like them all, though I generally think that these from World 1 are slightly better, if I have to pick one favorite then that would be W1Z1. Amazing music, colors, special atmosphere, level length and it's secrets - all of this is just great. It is also in my opinion the worst level of all in Tribulation Mode.

So far I wasn't interested at all in items sold by these vendors, so I'm sure there is room for improvement. Would be great to see more valuable items there, maybe Crimson Weapons? Guaranteed Wardrobe, one Black Lion Key?

Let's pick one, random map from PvE, Queensdale, for example, and create something like this in SAB, one big and open map, with all kind of quests, dynamic events, races, bosses, maybe even world boss? I'd like to see something like that.

@"Laevateinn.6289" said:The Super Adventure Box originally started as an April Fools' Day joke, but it's expanded into a real festival over time. Since we usually do a little something for April Fools' Day

If my memory serves me right, the last time you pulled an April Fools prank on us was when we all went aviator mode. that was years ago. I personaly dont consider a tweet, forum post or new blog to be April Fools content..... so you "dont usually do a little something"

What sort of new Super Adventure Festival content would you like to see in the future?

Please can all the weapons etc unlock for all characters, theres no reason why its just boundn to one character. Thanks :)

Probably 1-2. It's still got the prettiness of 1-1 and the light adventuring tone, with a lot of verticality to it as well. I remember the first time through it was very "whoa, this is new!" There are plenty of things that I like about later maps, but they just got way too huge to play through all at once. I would encourage your map decs to by all means play out their ambitions to create a ton of content, but break it into a lot more maps than they were heading towards. Each World 2 map should have been 2-3 distinct maps.

I don't know, noting in particular. Is it possible to get "in-SAB" weapons out in some form, like the chucks, the stick, that sort of thing? Maybe as weapon skins, maybe as toys?

I definitely want new maps, I'm an explorer, but I will just give a general content preference, and that is "minimal time wasted." I like jumping puzzles that are short and sweet, at least between checkpoints. I like tricky platforming experiences that last 30 seconds, maybe a minute or so, and then you get a check point to return to if something goes wrong. What I hate is JP experiences where you go several minutes and/or a bunch of tricky maneuvers and if you fail towards the end, you need to do the entire thing over again. Some portions of SAB, particularly the optional ones, and even things like the race, you can get completely kittened if you make a slight trip, and be set back 15 minutes+ of progress.

As a player that did not play from end 2013 until June 2019 I'm happy to see SAB back. Not having it at the same time as April 1st is good - if there is some other small stuff planned there. Slower releases give me more time to catch up. (While I understand others that might like it faster.) I'm going to enjoy the time in worlds 1+2 ... getting the cat there for my home instance and buying some Tyrian Exchange vouchers with the bauble bubbles as well as trying to get all the other important stuff. (I think only skins and some music items left ... I bought a few there already since the vendor is available permanently.)

Main focus will be to do the permanent achievements left to to. Then doing dailies/annuals and trying to get the green/yellow skins (as much as possible ... don't know if I can do the worlds repeatedly on Tribulation to grind all of them.) Then going for the red skins and of course looking out for the new announced weapons. (I guess I'll ignore the ones that can drop - buyable at TP - you get for doing a few dailies ... and taking the currency to buy the red wepaons ... which already takes ages even if doing it like that. If the Wiki is correct.)

I didn't really have a favorite world. Liked to get the titles which were harder to get (even with guides) and that there was lots of stuff to unlock. (The skills and stuff.) Maybe I'll do it with a group for more fun. I bet Tribulation mode will be hard a bit the beginning. I think I did not even train it a lot back then ages ago. (Though I noticed other JPs that were hard for me back then did not feel that hard when I returned years later ... I still got it somewhere in me the training and remembering certain stuff ... even if it was ages ago I did it the last time.)

Also a nice thing: Rata Sum being the focus of the event. Last events I remember had a lot of Divinity's Reach. Even Lion's Arch which was the main event hub back then (2012/2013) felt as if it wasn't that important anymore. With Hoelbrak and the Dragon Bash last year ... I guess we need Black Citadel and the Grove to get some events too. (Maybe they did in the past years when I did not play. Would be nice to rotate some back there again then.)

I think it be nice if moto made some new mini games based around a virtual reality setting like:just 3 ideas using a lot of available in game assets and mechanics to save dev time

: tron inspired racer(tron style charr motorbikes with beetle racing physics (got have drifting), a track that supports at least 10 racers and has random generated course obstacles and Mario kart style power up and weapons )

: vitual shooting game mode team death match(arena with asura ray guns and char rifles etc requiring ammo mechanics team with most kills within the time limit wins really make use of the ingame combat camera)

: hoard style game mode(team of 5 surviving wave after wave of variable mobs increasing in strength and numbers with boss waves in between rounds)

the arenas for these game modes can be very minimalistic being vr setting so ground would be mainly a grid floating in a completely black void with some generated assets thrown around to make simple enviroments like that combot simulator we had in living story in taimi's lab.