Staff in PvP needs some love

Sifu.9745

Maybe it's just me, but whenever i join PvP as a dps staff ele/tempest, i feel completely useless. Dmg is not bad, but hitting with Staff is super hard + survivability is next to non existent. It's so easy to avoid Staff's dmg. The only way i can play Staff is support/healing but even then i get better results as d/x. Dagger provides better survivability + higher dmg. Especially 1 on 1 i found Staff as a very poor weapon, no matter what build i go for.Is Weaver Staff any better or this weapon simply has no place in pvp other then support role?

Last I saw Staff in PvP is only good if you are +1 or in team fights nuking from a safe place.

A long long time ago it used to be good for bunker, but that is gone with the powercreep. Healing is out of the equation - you can't support very well.

The only problem with being a +1 or team fighter that is that your class package is not very good compared to other classes that are in the same function, so you have to be way better than the guy that brings out a necro or a thief, for example.

I will make a side note, however, I don't think it is wrong that staff is not very good at PvP conquest. Each weapon has its uses in different places, and it can happen that a weapon is worse for some - like PvP. All weapons being great for all game modes is just utopia.

@Sifu.9745 said:Maybe it's just me, but whenever i join PvP as a dps staff ele/tempest, i feel completely useless. Dmg is not bad, but hitting with Staff is super hard + survivability is next to non existent. It's so easy to avoid Staff's dmg. The only way i can play Staff is support/healing but even then i get better results as d/x. Dagger provides better survivability + higher dmg. Especially 1 on 1 i found Staff as a very poor weapon, no matter what build i go for.Is Weaver Staff any better or this weapon simply has no place in pvp other then support role?

staff is designed for aoe NOT 1V1. If it was good for both AOe and single player then all the other builds and specs (and possibly some professions) would be dead.

I used to play staff near the top of the ladder (couple years back). These days it seems like the weapon and playstyle have just fallen way behind in the powercreep. The speed and style of the weapon and its output of damage and support just can't keep up, and either gets killed really quickly or negated really quickly. Can probably play a couple setups into a good platinum range if you're really outplaying people, but it doesn't feel like it has the same level of potential to serve you well into the upper levels even if you play perfectly and imagine some great build into existence.

So far I've felt staff tempest played better than weaver, though I probably haven't played weaver to exhaustion yet. The stunbreaks/big power plays of tempest just felt more impactful than the small effects and awkward global-cooldown of weaver. And I really haven't gotten the point of some of the dual-attacks. Many of them just feel slow, long-cooldown, low impact, and hardly worth wasting the cast time (and aiming effort) vs just auto attacking.

I hope someone has been having better luck.

Staff is about large AoE and effects and slow cast times.

This can work really well if the enemy team completely ignores you. If a staff ele is aloud to free cast on a point its an easy win for his team, both for the support (heals, frost auras with ice field and blast, condi cleanse, CC) and for the dmg (constant lava font and meteor shower on a point makes caping it really hard).

The problem is, as soon as someone on the opposing team decides that its a bad idea to leave the staff ele free-cast and you get chased down you become very useless for your team, as staff has not many tools to run away from chasers.

I've seen some very funny take on this, going full zerker tempest and using arcane shield to run into the point with air overload and just wreck everything before you go down. It works when it gets people off-guard.

There are a few people that became really good dueling with staff, so its totally possible.

@lLobo.7960 said:

There are a few people that became really good dueling with staff, so its totally possible.

I guess you are talking about bunker/healing, Mender Amulet Staff? Because i just can't imagine zerker/marauder (or condi?) staff being any good at dueling. You can last for a while with Mender amulet, but to kill someone ... It would take more than 3 minutes, if player is casual, no way to kill good ones.

So, we are left, again, with Daggers as our only PvP weapon? Sword no survivability, dmg nothing special, Scepter no survivability, high risk low reward, Staff no survivability out of healing builds, but even support/healing Staff doesn't offer much. Guess i am forced to play with d/x with mender amulet then? Great survivability, dmg is not that bad.

@Sifu.9745 said:

@lLobo.7960 said:

I guess you are talking about bunker/healing, Mender Amulet Staff? Because i just can't imagine zerker/marauder (or condi?) staff being any good at dueling. You can last for a while with Mender amulet, but to kill someone ... It would take more than 3 minutes, if player is casual, no way to kill good ones.

It can take time yes, but Staff is actually good in dueling If player is very familiar with Staff in PvP perspective. Works with "heal bot" build and worked very well with celestial. Its so easy to kite ur Enemy (on point or not) with fire 3, earth4 water 4 Air 5 and all that criple and chill you Make.I know that it sounds stupid. This isnt challenge or anything, but If you are willing to see it with ur own eyes, you can add me as friend and join in for My guild Halls arena.

Again not a challenge, just suggestion If you want to see that its viable

I mostly use staff in PvP for the fields and CC...

Start off mid fight with Healing Rain, use earth line to stop access to points, immob to help focus, chills to slow the enemy Ele/Necro to help with a gank, static fields to secure stomps and ganks and so on... I rarely use Autoattack unless my ally is stomping someone then I'll attack the guy being stomped to help sustain the stomper.

Power Staff in sPvP deals insane aoe dmg on points, it's kind of ridiciulous how you melt multiple targets (Lava Font, Meteor Shower, Fire auto, Arcane Wave), but offcourse you're squishy with no 1v1 potential or mobility so you will get focused and probably shut down against decent players.

Archived