reddit vs official forum

ARZK.8017

@Ayakaru.6583 said:in my opinion it's not so much when a dev likes to share information on reddit, but the problem is more or less that sometimes vital information is shared on reddit, or important truth-bombs, and if a dev answers such a question or concern on reddit, it should feel self-explenatory to address it here as well.

It would be nice if dev posts on reddit would be automatically mirrored here on the official forums. I mean shoot reddit has bots that automatically copy dev posts on the official forum to reddit, it would be nice if the reverse could be done.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:in my opinion it's not so much when a dev likes to share information on reddit, but the problem is more or less that sometimes vital information is shared on reddit, or important truth-bombs, and if a dev answers such a question or concern on reddit, it should feel self-explenatory to address it here as well.

It would be nice if dev posts on reddit would be automatically mirrored here on the official forums. I mean shoot reddit has bots that automatically copy dev posts on the official forum to reddit, it would be nice if the reverse could be done.

It's not automatically searching for dev posts here. When a reddit user posts link to gw2 forums only then their bot copies its content. But it's all run by players. So how about you monitor reddit and repost here whatever devs tell us on reddit?

IMO Reddit is a safe place for GW2. People here can be, let me say, a bit overly aggressive at times. GW2 Reddit from what I have seen is mostly fan joy, a lot of fluff "Look at my cute Quaggan screen cap", meme of the week stuff, user created content, and a lot of we love you.... So it makes sense that Anet posts there more. Highly critical posts there even if well worded and polite often get down voted into oblivion by the fan joy members.

Here it is a lot more brutal. The fluff stuff gets little attention, no one cares about the GW2 meme of the week, people are a lot more critical and aggressive with their criticism, often going a bit overboard. There is no down vote to hide criticism that ultra fans don't want to hear.

Maybe if official forum members get together and buy Anet a bunch of cupcakes like Reddit we will see more activity from them here. ;)

tl;dr Reddit is a fan board filled with mostly fluff, memes,highly pro Anet and don't forget protecting their precious karma. Official forum is filled with criticism, sometimes going a bit overboard with no fear of losing that Reddit karma by rocking the boat. If you worked for Anet which would you spend more of your free time on?

@Kheldorn.5123 said:Changes to gift of battle were posted in WvW section of official forums long before they were implemented. Looks like you have problems with searching through information sources, because devs do communicate such things.

Rest of your post is impossible to comprehend as real discussion. Unless anything constructive is being posted here that wasn't already explained I seize my activity here.

Link it. Fibber. Since yoy are much more adept at searching. Link the post where it officially states the change. Not a wip or maybe. Definitively.

Also, even if that is true, it was STILL NOT ADDED TO PATCH NOTES. so at best its sneaky as fuck.

Gobble gobble gobble gib!

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:

It's not automatically searching for dev posts here. When a reddit user posts link to gw2 forums only then their bot copies its content. But it's all run by players. So how about you monitor reddit and repost here whatever devs tell us on reddit?

Wow. Lol. You dont have a deep emotional pro-Reddit agenda AT ALLLL.

I being so sarcastic.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:IMO Reddit is a safe place for GW2. People here can be, let me say, a bit overly aggressive at times. GW2 Reddit from what I have seen is mostly fan joy, a lot of fluff "Look at my cute Quaggan screen cap", meme of the week stuff, user created content, and a lot of we love you.... So it makes sense that Anet posts there more. Highly critical posts there even if well worded and polite often get down voted into oblivion by the fan joy members.

Here it is a lot more brutal. The fluff stuff gets little attention, no one cares about the GW2 meme of the week, people are a lot more critical and aggressive with their criticism, often going a bit overboard. There is no down vote to hide criticism that ultra fans don't want to hear.

Maybe if official forum members get together and buy Anet a bunch of cupcakes like Reddit we will see more activity from them here. ;)

tl;dr Reddit is a fan board filled with mostly fluff, memes,highly pro Anet and don't forget protecting their precious karma. Official forum is filled with criticism, sometimes going a bit overboard with no fear of losing that Reddit karma by rocking the boat. If you worked for Anet which would you spend more of your free time on?

I remember a dev from Origin before EA bought them, was on a meßage board and would call out people and tell them to piss off, or shut up...

We all loved him.

So instead of sending cakes, they should just send us the office asshole at Arenanet and he talks to us.

Itll be good times.I would pay gems.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:Changes to gift of battle were posted in WvW section of official forums long before they were implemented. Looks like you have problems with searching through information sources, because devs do communicate such things.

Rest of your post is impossible to comprehend as real discussion. Unless anything constructive is being posted here that wasn't already explained I seize my activity here.

Link it. Fibber. Since yoy are much more adept at searching. Link the post where it officially states the change. Not a wip or maybe. Definitively.

Also, even if that is true, it was STILL NOT ADDED TO PATCH NOTES. so at best its sneaky as kitten.

No horse in this race but since you asked for sources on the GoB change, April 2016:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-April-19-2016/first#post6102518

Also, once the reward tracks feature exits beta testing, the Gift of Battle legendary crafting component will no longer be available as a vendor purchase and will be earned via its own reward track.

This isn't exclusive to ANet. The same thing goes for Riot and League of Legends for instance or many other games. Devs seem to be more active on reddit than the official forums. In a way, reddit has become the official forums for many games and the reddit community would have a bigger role in affecting a game's development compared to opinions shared through official means.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Also, even if that is true, it was STILL NOT ADDED TO PATCH NOTES. so at best its sneaky as kitten.

No horse in this race but since you asked for sources on the GoB change, April 2016:

Also, once the reward tracks feature exits beta testing, the Gift of Battle legendary crafting component will no longer be available as a vendor purchase and will be earned via its own reward track.

Ty. I helpfulled.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-April-19-2016

once the reward tracks feature exits beta testing, the Gift of Battle legendary crafting component will no longer be available as a vendor purchase and will be earned via its own reward track.

I expect public apology from you in this thread.

I wonder how people missed @Panda.1967's logically written out post? S/he explains why, and also gives good advice (implied) of how aggressive players ought to change our behavior so the devs feel more comfortable on the main forums.

The more aggressive players are toward devs, the less they'll want to talk on the official forums. It's not about one place being superior to others, it's about how the official forums treat the devs vs. how reddit treats the devs. That's it. That's all it is.

So, in reality, aggressive players/posters are the problem.

Edited for clarity.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

Why was it not in patch notes but all over leddit?

None of this cancels out the primary dispute.Why they post on reddit over their own baby.

Look at how involved Ben is in pvp forum, even JS before. Major gripe is as an official platform this is used 2nd.

What the fucking fuck shit!!! I have autocorrect on, it makes bullshit words lr not what I wanted and kweps deleting what I write in favour of what it wants. I turn ofh AC and the touchpad is qoehless donkeya. Worthlesa donkeys. Yeahhhh. Is thia why people use iphones?!

Holy crap the aynaptic touxhpad suxka hwre big time.

Here you go: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-April-19-2016/first#post6122828 (warning the change was upcoming) andhttps://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-June-14-2016/first#post6212427 (announced the change)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

So, in reality, we're the problem.

Speak for yourself please.

Why was it not in patch notes but all over leddit?

I just linked you a patch note from official forums. Are you denying facts now?Yes. I was there and it was not included at the time.

Also I agree wih Aegis. While it is a generalization its STILL true. And since you are a member of this community, you are lumped in.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

So, in reality, we're the problem.

Speak for yourself please.

I apologize, I usually use "we" instead of "you" as not accuse people. I'm one of those who uses both reddit and the official forums. I suppose I should have worded it "in reality, the aggressive posters are the problem." I still stand by my stance: the devs choose where they post as per how the official forums treat them vs. how reddit treats them, and that's all there is to it.

This seems to be an issue with every single MMO I play, and typically the reason reddit is more used by the staff is universal: The reddit community is larger, and reaches more people.

I hate reddit as a format, but I can totally understand why it's the focus of interaction when the forums are the minority

@ARZK.8017 said:I know the problem was already discussed on the old forums, but I think it should be rediscussed. The problem is the way of communication of the ANet employees with the community. For many the forum is the first source of information when it comes to problems/bugs or need for help with anything redarding GW2. Therefore many will only look into the forums.The problem with this is, that in some cases the community is left alone in those forums and I have the feelings, that a lot more ANet employees communicate through reddit. Why cant those employees not just use the forums? I thought it will get better with the new forums, but seems not.The cause for this discussion is the achievment "imposter syndrome". I did the event several times now, and as you all know it is currenty total random to get it. I followed the discussions about it for a couple of days now (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/7150/imposter-syndrome-achievement), and then somebody posted there was an AMA on reddit about it, where an ANet employee posted it is a bug. So why isnt it possible for ANet employees to answer that on the discussion? And why isnt the AMA done on the forums?A response from ANet would be nice. Are you aware of this problem? And are you planning to do something on it?

Before claiming an issue, it's helpful to collect actual data on just how often ANet communicates generally (answer: not very) and what fraction of it is on the forums and how much on Reddit. If you do, you'll find that sometimes, Reddit gets a lot of attention... about fluff and sometimes the forums get more follow-up about actual issues. The AMA is a special exception because of Reddit's ability to handle nesting sub-topics better than virtually all other types of forums.

In other words, there's not an actual problem, just a perception of one by some people.

(Of course I wish that ANet carved out time for their staff to respond publicly on a regular basis and I wish that all non-fluff thoughts were cross-posted. I also recognize that's not realistic. People have only so much time to read, let alone respond.)

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:So, in reality, aggressive players/posters are the problem.

Absolutely.On the official forums, at least some of the rude and aggressive posts get removed. There's quite a few that stay, though, and that can seem very unwelcoming for developer feedback.On reddit, if a snotty comment just happens to get agreed with by the other bitters lurking there, it gets upvoted to prominence.

Archived