New Event or Character Slot idea

can they make a new type of character slot that can not use gold or anything in your bank till it hits level 80? and it be nice if it can not be in the same instance as ppl who are not using this new slot and level 79 or under so it feels like starting over with out the draw backs. the HoT beta gave u a character slot that clones ur account but u cant trade or use tp so what if they did this but when u hit 80 it just mails the items to u and turns it into a normal character slot

When I saw the thread title at first I thought it would be a throwaway level 80 existing only for certain events, and I thought, even as I clicked, hrm, that might be fun, trying new things out without caring about the expense of gearing. It'd come pre-geared, pre-skilled, and nothing it came with would be transferable. And then I thought, well, that IS kinda a 80 boost, only the actual 80 boosts give you not-so-good characters and then I read your post, which is not at all what I thought.

Hrm. I think I would like your idea all the way through a key farm and then I would, myself, lose patience with the whole thing. Because, after all, you CAN do all of what you said already except for others doing it too. And I doubt they'd make a whole new instance for that. Zones are already too thin. Maybe you suggested it because you, too, lose patience and snag stuff to bump you up? I think if so, it's a good thing you can, otherwise that character might not ever get played again. You'd be ready to, and then remember, oh yeah, level 32. Gendarren Fields. Eeeeeh, maybe I'll play my scourge, instead. (or insert other class and leveled character.)

• 2 weeks later...

well if not instance just for them then make so u cant use foods, fires, banners or anything drop from other ppl and u cant trade on that toon. but i think if they only sold them 1-2 times a year and toss in some AP i think like 95% will be doing it in that instance but that 1-5% left will just take the fun out with their 1-3 hit kills. ifg what the upscale felt like in old zones but u cant if even 1 of 20 has all his skills and his gear is cap for that zone

For what purpose would they segregate players in this way? What we be the gain for players and Anet to implement this? If anything they are trying to make it easier for people to level and get to level 80, I am uncertain why this would be something - especially as you can self impose such restrictions should you wish and just not use any currency, bank or the TP

@Randulf.7614 said:For what purpose would they segregate players in this way? What we be the gain for players and Anet to implement this? If anything they are trying to make it easier for people to level and get to level 80, I am uncertain why this would be something - especially as you can self impose such restrictions should you wish and just not use any currency, bank or the TP

Obviously it's for those people without the inclination to self administer such restrictions but that still might want to do this sort of thing.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:For what purpose would they segregate players in this way? What we be the gain for players and Anet to implement this? If anything they are trying to make it easier for people to level and get to level 80, I am uncertain why this would be something - especially as you can self impose such restrictions should you wish and just not use any currency, bank or the TP

Obviously it's for those people without the inclination to self administer such restrictions but that still might want to do this sort of thing.

I made a free account for this reason, the only change would be to instance them off because playing with the non-free accounts is at times difficult. Miss events due to no mount etc. So, I did "self administer" my own restrictions, but not all of what he said can be done this way.

• 2 months later...

looking at comments like "Create a new free account" or just don't use items don't get what im saying. the point is other ppl will be with you and max out ppl who like to troll or think they are "helping" cant suck the fun out of it. but when said only sell 2-4 times a year seems a bit to many so just sell them 1x a year and u can only buy 1 so that the split will not last long. just pick a time a year nothing is going on like just after a event

@linck.5430 said:can they make a new type of character slot that can not use gold or anything in your bank till it hits level 80? and it be nice if it can not be in the same instance as ppl who are not using this new slot and level 79 or under so it feels like starting over with out the draw backs. the HoT beta gave u a character slot that clones ur account but u cant trade or use tp so what if they did this but when u hit 80 it just mails the items to u and turns it into a normal character slot

@linck.5430 said:the best way be to only sell for a short time 2-4 times a year so more are doing it at the same time

feels like path of exile leagues or diablo 3 seasons. i don't mind your idea/concept but i doubt many people would want to use this feature on the main/live servers. it has to have more purpose for existing.

if they open a PTR/PTS where you can test an upcoming update/feature/content/story patch, this is viable:create a character in the test server > play > when updates get merged into the main servers, your test server chara will get merged into the main servers > pts/ptr will close until the next "testing season" ---> just like how Path of Exile does it.... doesnt need to be a 1-79 thing... can be a whole "season" for testing sorta thing

but yeah i don't think we have a patch test realm/server so im not sure something like this could happen.

(edit: also i know and read that you said that only until it reaches lvl 80 will these characters be merged with your other characters in your initial post)

@"linck.5430" said:looking at comments like "Create a new free account" or just don't use items don't get what im saying. the point is other ppl will be with you and max out ppl who like to troll or think they are "helping" cant suck the fun out of it. but when said only sell 2-4 times a year seems a bit to many so just sell them 1x a year and u can only buy 1 so that the split will not last long. just pick a time a year nothing is going on like just after a event

I think you are missing the point. You have not yet made any valid or worthwhile argument as to why developer resources would be well spent on such an implementation. Worse yet, you have given 0 thought to some obvious detriments like dividing the player base even further. Most answers in this thread and the player confusion in them reflect the half backed nature of this idea. Other posters are literally trying to figure out why this idea holds any value.

You could argue that down leveled characters are to powerful, in which case your idea is a band-aid solution for that issue, and a very poor one at that. If this is the primary concern, demanding that down leveling gets reworked is a lot more sensible, aka approach the actual issue directly.

Most of the ideas you offer can be easily achieved via minimal self monitoring.