Named sunspear weapons for elite spec collections

As many have said, supply and demand go hand in hand.

Another reason would be that players are favouring the Halloween Lab right now, so less are in PoF to get these drops.

Once players go back, and people get their collections done, excess will be sold, reducing prices again, pretty sure they will level out at around 40ish gold. It’s just a waiting game. It is not paramount for you to instantly complete these collections, but the option is there if you are impatient.

I prefer these to the HoT elite weapon collections, they were tied to a mastery grind and map currencies, as well as the mystic weapon.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

As for me, between yesterday and this morning I opened over 4500 bags with 500% magic find and got none of the weapons needed for collections.

Raw value of selling these without identification is around 50g+ What you got from identifying and salvaging is probably worth more getting you even closer to 100g needed for buying it from TP. So if your RNG is not working for you, you can always buy it with gold you make while hunting for these exotics.

Where's the issue?

Erm. The issue is that they gated a collection through a low drop exotic that will likely have to be bought on the TP rather than earned through play. It's not about whether I recouped my losses from buying those 4500 bags (I didn't, btw, down a little gold but not much). Or even the time wasted in opening that junk.

Also you know you need more than one weapon to complete the collections, of course. You need 6, ~100g will get you one. Quick maths will tell you roughly what to expect for the others.

These collections are not essential for your gameplay. They offer ascended weapon with unique skin, it's only your choice to make them. They are not required in any way, just like you don't require precursor in this game to play it. If you can't afford spec weapon, craft cheapest ascended counterpart needed for your build.

Oh the "you don't need to do it" argument. You don't
need
to do
anything
in this game. Therefore
everything
is fine. Right.

You may buy that but personally I've always thought that was the weakest argument ever brought up (time and again) on these forums and once again completely ignores the point. Also, I could buy them on the TP, I have the gold but again that's ignoring the point that "they gated a collection through a low drop exotic that will likely have to be bought on the TP rather than earned through play".

Point is, you expect it to be cheap or even free. It's not. You can gamble with unid gear or buy it from TP. Imagine if they were accountbound.

No I don't, I expect it to be a reward from doing some specific activity in game.

on the other hand, making it tradable makes you choose whatever activity you like and get gold (or drop) from there

Yeah, again, I expect it to be a reward from doing a
specific
activity, something pertinent to the collection. Not general farming but if you're happy with that then more power to you.

Looks like ArenaNet didn't meet your expectations. Now what?

Well gee willikers, I guess I'll go to their forums and leave some feedback... oh wait, that's what I'm doing. Like right now.

What do
you
think is happening here?

oh I am sure anet appreciates your intentions, however as more reasonable person I can assure they are not going to change it this time, so maybe with next expansion you will see if they listened to you

good luck, you gonna need it

"as the more reasonable person" . . . your argument has just devolved into an ad hominem attack.

Unless you have a direct connection to the developers, then your assurances are of little value. However, apart from your ad hominem attack, you are probably correct. I seem to recall in one of the video releases MO making a comment about selling items, suggesting that they not only knew this would be an issue, but intended for it to be this way, as a way of "helping" casual gamers make some gold. However I think that while helping some casual gamers make money, it is also a callous disregard of other casual gamers who don't necessarily live to play the TP.

As for the suggestion that all that is needed is to play the content more to get the item as a drop, these weapons seem to have the likelihood of a precursor drop. 5+ years of playing dungeons, bosses, raiding, fractals, mystic forge and 0 precursors. At least anecdotally, the "play more" argument does not suggest that it is a viable strategy to finding 1 much less 5 of these items. But hey, that is intended because ANET is helping somebody, just not anybody who is interested in matching weapon to specialization. We instead get the "its optional so suck it up" argument.

I'd be curious, for those who assert the "it's optional" argument, have you completed all 9 collections already? How much did you pay, and would you be willing to pay the current prices? double the current? at what point would you decide that the kittens have taken over handing out rewards at ANET?

I paid for them and the griffon, your point? It's called play the game and stop asking to make things easier.

That's what's wrong with the mmo genre today, consumers want easier and flashier instead of the good ol' fashion mmos where you had to craft, fight bosses, or grind currency to get what you want. If you want it, you'll get it, if you don't you won't die.

And before you bring up another mmo, no game such as WoW, SWTOR, or whatever other mmo you have played is not any better. Not even RuneScape.

Just thought I get that possible argument out of the way. Mmos have always been time-killers, time-consumers. It is to grind, decorate characters as you wish, and get equipment. If you don't like that playstyle, an mmo is not for you buttercup.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:You have yet to show that prices on the TP are inflated.

Prices as of this post:
Abasi's Envenomed Cleaver: 87g
Darehk's Quick End: 86g
Jahdugar's Syllabus: 5gThe Castellan's Quality: 5gDume's Gilded Smasher: 3gKina's Warning Shot: 5g
Libeh's Truthteller: 90g
Kadash's Riding Bow: 85g
Sogolon's Purifier: 5gShorewatcher's Backup: 5g
Raidmarshal Bayonet: 88g
Odurra's Magnificence: 6gSuti's Hexbreaker: 9g
Nagozi's Enchanted Lamp: 91g
Mothusi's Echoing Voice: 3gTimera's Shield of Good Cheer: 6g

All these weapons have the same drop rate and come from the same sources, and most of them have settled remarkably close to each other with a few important and relevant exceptions. You could buy all
ten
of the others for the price of
one
of the weapons needed for the collection, the price is absolutely inflated.

I've never dropped an item from this list.

Go buy from TP if you don't like RNG.

@Zakka.2153 said:I think they should boost the chances of getting these named exotics from Unidentified items, so there is a reason to go to PoF to grind them out. Or have another way of collecting them similar to how HoT weapons worked.

If they increase drop rate, they'll become worthless in no time and you still have no reason to farm them.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zakka.2153 said:I think they should boost the chances of getting these named exotics from Unidentified items, so there is a reason to go to PoF to grind them out. Or have another way of collecting them similar to how HoT weapons worked.

If they increase drop rate, they'll become worthless in no time and you still have no reason to farm them.

You already have no reason to grind for these exotics, because selling the unidentified rare pieces and then buying 3 weapons will probably be faster than identifying the same amount and maaaaybe finding one

The sunspear exotics absolutely, totally, completely, utterly, unequivocally should count as the necessary weapon for the spec collections. making them reliant on a very rare random drop which is ludicrisly expensive for how useful it actually is is one of the stupidest ideas i've come across in this expansion.

Those exotic drop weapons should exist as an alternate way of obtaining the sunspear skins, other than crafting. But you absolutely should have to craft the sunspear weapon for your collection. All i can say is that i really hope this is unintended, that someone misunderstood and put the items the wrong way around in the collection.

so, apparently, the only way to really get them is to take all your unidentified gear (blue, green and yellow...according to sources they drop from all three, just with increasingly smaller chances, but there's still a chance), and you have to jack up your magic find as high as you can get it and take everything into Vabbi, and open them all in Vabbi. Vabbi, not sw.

Please share, I got this info from a reliable source I trust, but have not had a chance to try it out myself yet. I've been saving up my unidentified gear since it was relayed to me, as I don't feel like spending 2800g for a stack of unidentified rares.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

I think there are plenty of other reasons to run/farm the PoF content, that are inherently more rewarding and fun than grinding of a single exotic weapon. It takes almost 1300 elon mosaics to get all the recipes for the funerary armor and weapons. At an average drop rate of 3-5 that's like 100+runs per legendary, and you can only get them once per day. That seems like a fair amount of farming, to me.

The portal spiker achievement requires 100 portal spikes, but at my best I've only been able to get about 3 spikes per run because I keep getting interrupted. Plenty of farming there, as well, not to mention Junundu whisperer and all the crazy stuff you have to do for the Shadow of a Shadow achievement.Then there's all the PoF specific materials you need to craft all those armors, weapons, etc.There are many new food item recipes available, bounty hunter gear recipes, etc.

There's more than enough to keep us all occupied for a long time, without the need of grinding for a single, or worse, a handful, of unpleasantly rare exotic weapons that are necessary to complete an achievement for your elite spec.

Archived