I know everyone forgot about reaper with Scourge, but power reaper still needs buffs.

Zenith.7301

That 10% against chilled targets was such a bad band aid that barely impacted their performance. We have too low chill uptime on greatsword outside spamming autoattack and nothing else for that modifier to mean anything.

Greatsword needs serious buffs, and that 10% damage modifier needs to be expanded to include cripple or vulnerability.

Shouts are still niche crap in PvE.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey now, I didn't forget about reaper! :/

Condi reaper is still very effective. And every time I player scourge, I do miss my greatsword. Also I miss rise and chill application (chill is very underrated!). Necromancer isn't exactly the best class for a power build, though. Which does fit it thematically, but none the less if people really want power necro:

Chilling Victory: Striking a target with shroud skill 1 while they have chilled applied to them gives you 1 might and 1% life force. Life Reap applies chill (2 seconds).

Cold Shoulder: Increase the damage gain to 20%.

Shivers of Dread: Change to "Order of Pain", Gain 6% of Precision and 6% of Ferocity as Power.

"Nothing Can Save You!": Your attacks also cause vulnerability and give you might for 4 seconds.

"You Are All Weaklings!": Converts boons into weakness, rather than just giving weakness.

In addition, allow necromancers to use their utility/elite skills while in (reaper) shroud.

In addition, allow necromancers to use their utility/elite skills while in (reaper) shroud.

nononononono! no! bad boy!How do you suppose you'll kill a reaper ever when he can use his utilities in shroud?

In my opinion all Reaper needs is better Chill uptime, a good swiftness source (running signet of the locust all the time is getting annoying) and maybe +150 ferocity from reaper's onslaught while not in shroud.Currently you can easily maintain 100% Critrate with a very tanky power build (almost 30k hp if you don't want toughness, which I don't recommend) Which is really fun to play. (In WvW)

I don't think it's fair to say that a 10% increase in damage barely affects performance. 10% is not an insignificant amount of damage on a power build ... it's 10%.

The fact that it's not THE meta power build has more to do with Scourge being off balance than Reaper being underbalanced.

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't think it's fair to say that a 10% increase in damage barely affects performance. 10% is not an insignificant amount of damage on a power build ... it's 10%.

The fact that it's not THE meta power build has more to do with Scourge being off balance than Reaper being underbalanced.

Taking trash tier damage and increasing it by 10% still results in trash tier damage. Also power reaper being bad has literally nothing to do with scourge. If scourge is nerfed, reaper doesn't become meta, rather if scourge is nerfed the entire necromancer profession ceases to be competitive.

This isn't even a PvE thing, power reaper is also suffering from trash damage in sPvP aswell, because it does less damage than other brawlers while also having worse sustain than other brawlers.

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't think it's fair to say that a 10% increase in damage barely affects performance. 10% is not an insignificant amount of damage on a power build ... it's 10%.

It's not 10%.

You have to consider uptime. The trait will not have 100% uptime because outside reaper shroud 5 you virtually don't have much in the way of chill, and in a raid nobody else but power revenant, which is also not viable, cannot upkeep chill.

To give you some understanding, greatsword chill requires that you autoattack and cast nothing else to maintain that chill the final chain applies. That's how short it is. If you use grave digger or greatsword 3, that chill uptime drops easily below 50% uptime. At under 50% health on an opponent where you're spamming gravedigger, you have 0% chill uptime.

That means the real value of that awful trait is realistically ~3-5% damage increase, and once a target hits 50% health and you start spamming gravedigger, the trait gives ZERO benefit since there's no chill.

@Zenith.7301 said:

It's not 10%.

You have to consider uptime. The trait will not have 100% uptime because outside reaper shroud 5 you virtually don't have much in the way of chill, and in a raid nobody else but power revenant, which is also not viable, cannot upkeep chill.

To give you some understanding, greatsword chill requires that you autoattack and cast nothing else to maintain that chill the final chain applies. That's how short it is. If you use grave digger or greatsword 3, that chill uptime drops easily below 50% uptime. At under 50% health on an opponent where you're spamming gravedigger, you have 0% chill uptime.

That means the real value of that awful trait is realistically ~3-5% damage increase, and once a target hits 50% health and you start spamming gravedigger, the trait gives ZERO benefit since there's no chill.

That's awesome ... people complain Reaper doesn't do more damage ... but can't find additional ways to chill foes to get the 10% damage boost they just got in a trait. I'm sure Anet are smacking their foreheads right about now. I can assure you that maintaining perma chill on a foe is not hard to do, nor does it require giving up anything to do so.

It is interesting though ... even if you did get a flat 10% buff to DPS on reaper, we know it's not enough; it's clear you are talking about raids. The fact is that it's going to take much more to make power reaper into a raid-level damage. The other guy was right ... no one cares about 10% more damage if it doesn't do that .. and that's why power reaper is never going to get the buffs that are going to make you happy, because your interest isn't about reaper damage, it's about reapers in raids. Check this guy out ... he just want's reaper to be meta. I got news for him; Scourge is about as good as it gets, and that's going to get hit soon too. 10% should sound like a bounty at this point ...

@Crinn.7864 said:

Taking trash tier damage and increasing it by 10% still results in trash tier damage. Also power reaper being bad has literally nothing to do with scourge. If scourge is nerfed, reaper doesn't become meta, rather if scourge is nerfed the entire necromancer profession ceases to be competitive.

This isn't even a PvE thing, power reaper is also suffering from trash damage in sPvP aswell, because it does less damage than other brawlers while also having worse sustain than other brawlers.

That 10% on chill buff you crap on ... THAT'S about the scale of the buffs you're going to see; that represents Anet's stomach for increasing Reaper damage. If that doesn't propel it into power reaper raid build level, I don't think much more will.

@Obtena.7952 said:That 10% on chill buff you crap on ... THAT'S about the scale of the buffs you're going to see; that represents Anet's stomach for increasing Reaper damage. If that doesn't propel it into power reaper raid build level, I don't think much more will.

Thing is, even if all power reaper skills were magically granted a 50% damage buff it would still not be at the top of the meta. So a 10% conditional boost that we can't maintain during our primary high damage phase (gravedigger spam) is more than a little underwhelming.

Source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6sixjn/to_the_devs_can_we_please_have_a_conversation/

@Loopgru.1026 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:That 10% on chill buff you crap on ... THAT'S about the scale of the buffs you're going to see; that represents Anet's stomach for increasing Reaper damage. If that doesn't propel it into power reaper raid build level, I don't think much more will.

Thing is, even if all power reaper skills were magically granted a
50%
damage buff it would still not be at the top of the meta. So a 10% conditional boost that we can't maintain during our primary high damage phase (gravedigger spam) is more than a little underwhelming.

Source:

Exactly ... exactly my point. Targeting 'meta-level' or 'raid-level' damage output is simply NOT realistic, so any damage buff that doesn't do that is going to be met with harsh criticism from players that unreasonably expect it. Also ... I'm not sure if it's a 'clever' idea or just a coincidence, but I think the idea that this requires players to choose between gravedigger spam and chill upkeep is ... an interesting development.

Also, I'm really surprised at how spoonfed people have become with builds ... no one here can think of a way to maintain chill ... that's SAD, especially for a condition that stacks in duration. I spent 10 minutes in a build editor and between food, runes and chill duration trait, I got 65% ... all those things that would be appropriate for a power build as well.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

It's not 10%.

That's awesome ... people complain Reaper doesn't do more damage ... but can't find additional ways to chill foes to get the 10% damage boost they just got in a trait. I'm sure Anet are smacking their foreheads right about now. I can assure you that maintaining perma chill on a foe is not hard to do, nor does it require giving up anything to do so.

It is interesting though ... even if you did get a flat 10% buff to DPS on reaper, we know it's not enough; it's clear you are talking about raids. The fact is that it's going to take much more to make power reaper into a raid-level damage. The other guy was right ... no one cares about 10% more damage if it doesn't do that .. and that's why power reaper is never going to get the buffs that are going to make you happy, because your interest isn't about reaper damage, it's about reapers in raids. Check this guy out ... he just want's reaper to be meta. I got news for him; Scourge is about as good as it gets, and that's going to get hit soon too. 10% should sound like a bounty at this point ...

@Crinn.7864 said:

That 10% on chill buff you crap on ... THAT'S about the scale of the buffs you're going to see; that represents Anet's stomach for increasing Reaper damage. If that doesn't propel it into power reaper raid build level, I don't think much more will.

This is why I refuse to not only play another build or another class for that matter because why should I show respect for a game mode by completely dismantling my play style and character theme if ANet doesn't have enough respect for Power Reapers to adjust them enough to get a seat at that table.

I can tell you most people that don't play GW2 look at the Raids and the lack luster balance and think"Awe isn't that cute, they're trying to make a Raid scene that only has a small portion of their builds complete enough to work in the game mode, how quaint!"

I don't think ANet takes Raiding seriously enough to elevate it to something on par with other MMOs, if they did they'd have more Devs working on Raids, and more Devs working on Balance.

Any one that really plays the bread and butter of this game knows that the bread and butter of this game that ANet really cares about is their Narrative and their Open World content, put into that perspective Reaper is the masters of that domain, as well as cute side projects like Fractals, and neglected game modes like WVWVW (where's a new map for Path of Fire, they made one for HoT).

@Obtena.7952 said:Exactly ... exactly my point. Targeting 'meta-level' or 'raid-level' damage output is simply NOT realistic,

Why? Power DPS can be meta competitive (see hammer guard or rev prior to August). Why should reaper not have the same potential? Because it can be tankier? When the entire premise in PvE is that survivability is best accomplished through avoidance and active defenses, who cares? Want to balance it for PvP? Tie it to decimate defenses and have damage ramp hinge on vulnerability stacks, them split as necessary.

Also ... I'm not sure if it's a 'clever' idea or just a coincidence, but I think the idea that this requires players to choose between gravedigger spam and chill upkeep is ... an interesting development.

Given that the skill maintains its reset below 50%, I think you're reaching here.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

It's not 10%.

@Crinn.7864 said:

This is why I refuse to not only play another build or another class for that matter because why should I show respect for a game mode by completely dismantling my play style and character theme if ANet doesn't have enough respect for Power Reapers to adjust them enough to get a seat at that table.

You did that the second you bought this game ... or any other MMO for that matter. Games change all the time that cause players to rethink their builds or rotations or gear or whatever else the player controls. This is no different. There is nothing exceptional about game changes affecting how players play the game. Your playstyle is not dismantled at all in all frankness; nothing prevents you from continuing to play the build you enjoy. Your simply to stubborn to play the builds you know will give you more damage because of your ideal, romantic idea about how the game should evolve without affecting how you play it ... which is completely removed from reality.

@Loopgru.1026 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Exactly ... exactly my point. Targeting 'meta-level' or 'raid-level' damage output is simply NOT realistic,

Why? Power DPS can be meta competitive (see hammer guard or rev prior to August). Why should reaper not have the same potential? Because it can be tankier? When the entire premise in PvE is that survivability is best accomplished through avoidance and active defenses, who cares? Want to balance it for PvP? Tie it to decimate defenses and have damage ramp hinge on vulnerability stacks, them split as necessary.

Also ... I'm not sure if it's a 'clever' idea or just a coincidence, but I think the idea that this requires players to choose between gravedigger spam and chill upkeep is ... an interesting development.

Given that the skill maintains its reset below 50%, I think you're reaching here.

Lots of things CAN be ... that's not a relevant question. The real answer you are looking for is that it's simply not necessary for Anet to give us all a whole bunch of meta builds. Just because the meta build for a class isn't the build you want it to be is really not a compelling reason to get it changed, nor does it make sense to request all that effort to essentially give an equivalent damage build to the meta. There simply isn't any reason to, other than the whim of particular players.

I would love to see every necro open his own "buff power reaper" thread. On reddit and in the General section to get the widest attention possible.Even if it fails, at least people would talk about it, and it would be funny (in my anarchist opinion).

No power build should top the DPS charts, because the value of burst damage is too high. Condi is meant to be better at long-term DPS, power is meant to be better at immediate DPS. Neither should be great at both. As is, the only power build that does top the charts does so with multi-strike AOEs that hit over time (condi-like) and exploit the coding of large-hitbox opponents.

With that in mind, the professions that offer the least sustain and support should offer the most damage - regardless of whether that sustain and support is useful in the raid context. Necros have high base health and shroud. They can apply a ton of different condis and have a lot of personal boons, too. They have team condi cleanse and group boon corrupt, if they care to use it. That all has value and can’t be discounted just because someone wants to make the golem DPS charts as if those things didn’t exist.

Yes, Power Reaper needs more buffs, just keep a realistic target: 28k-29k. That may not sound great, but the meta teams knocked out these same raids with 30k DPS from their heavy hitters and the content didn’t get any more difficult. Condi would still be, and should be, the optimal choice for high-health targets, but power would be good enough to participate.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

It's not 10%.

@Crinn.7864 said:

You did that the second you bought this game ... or any other MMO for that matter. Games change all the time that cause players to rethink their builds or rotations or gear or whatever else the player controls. This is no different. There is nothing exceptional about game changes affecting how players play the game. Your playstyle is not dismantled at all in all frankness; nothing prevents you from continuing to play the build you enjoy. Your simply to stubborn to play the builds you know will give you more damage because of your ideal, romantic idea about how the game should evolve without affecting how you play it ... which is completely removed from reality.

I did that the second I bought the game, how so I fail to see any thugs busting down my door forcing my to play a Ranger, or forcing me to re spec as Scourge, cool story bro.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

It's not 10%.

@Crinn.7864 said:

I did that the second I bought the game, how so I fail to see any thugs busting down my door forcing my to play a Ranger, or forcing me to re spec as Scourge, cool story bro.

"Play the way you want" Guild Wars 2

@Obtena.7952 said:Lots of things CAN be ... that's not a relevant question. The real answer you are looking for is that it's simply not necessary for Anet to give us all a whole bunch of meta builds. Just because the meta build for a class isn't the build you want it to be is really not a compelling reason to get it changed, nor does it make sense to request all that effort to essentially give an equivalent damage build to the meta. There simply isn't any reason to, other than the whim of particular players.

It may not be on your wish list. That's fine. It is something that I and a lot of other players do want, though, and no, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask, to make opinions known.

As for the immediate vs ramping damage argument, that balance is predicated on a) condition builds actually requiring ramp up time to hit their stride (which they currently don't due to over tuning) and b) a mix of encounters requiring each type of output- or, ideally, encounters that require both. Hit that balance and sure, I'm happy to say that condi should have an edge- but we're not anywhere near there yet.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

nononononono! no! bad boy!How do you suppose you'll kill a reaper ever when he can use his utilities in shroud?

In my opinion all Reaper needs is better Chill uptime, a good swiftness source (running signet of the locust all the time is getting annoying) and maybe +150 ferocity from reaper's onslaught while not in shroud.Currently you can easily maintain 100% Critrate with a very tanky power build (almost 30k hp if you don't want toughness, which I don't recommend) Which is really fun to play. (In WvW)

We used to have better chill up time. It got nerfed. And for good reason.

@Lily.1935 said:

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

We used to have better chill up time. It got nerfed. And for good reason.

That was many metas ago, nothing works or functions like it did back when that nerf was made.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

Lots of things CAN be ... that's not a relevant question. The real answer you are looking for is that it's simply not necessary for Anet to give us all a whole bunch of meta builds. Just because the meta build for a class isn't the build you want it to be is really not a compelling reason to get it changed, nor does it make sense to request all that effort to essentially give an equivalent damage build to the meta. There simply isn't any reason to, other than the whim of particular players.

It's necessary if they want to retain players. There is nothing more absolutely frustrating to a player, than their favorite class being trash in their favorite gamemode.

Archived