Is expertise overrated?

Not sure if this is the correct area but I find everyone's obsession with Viper gear to be a bit unwarranted. I can understand for pve raids and such where mobs don't/can't clear condis thus duration can run its course. But in PvP and WvW, I never have my condis run their course. Maybe 2-3 seconds at best before they are cleared. Wouldn't Sinister gear be better in these circumstances? I can get bleeds to last 13+ seconds; in theory or pve that's great, but it's of no use in pvp or wvw which I mostly play these days.

Thanks for any constructive input.

Only insofar as damaging conditions go and the type of weapon used. What is overlooked many times is the non damaging condtions and their impact especially with certain weaponsets.

As example compare thief condition d/d to thief condition P/d. You really do not need a lot in the way of duration with d/d condition as the primary condition from the set is 10 seconds base meaning it rarely hits full duration. On the other hand p/d has only a 4 second bleed on the AA which is the primary condition and that generally needs to see the duration extened. Added to that P/d has a 1.5 second Immob on #2. If you extend the duration of THIS condition it becomes much more useful. People might be willing to eat damage on a 1.5 second immob , but three seconds will tend to foce them to use some means to remove it and if it covering other conditions, those others continue to click on a generic cleanse.

Actually, expertise is fairly useful in wvw now. There are so many conditions being thrown around (not to mention stupid stacks of them) that it is easy to catch someone after they have burned every cleanse they have. They can withdraw from the fight somewhat, but with cleanses burned, that duration downs a lot of people...not just the bad ones.

Archived