There's really just one downside to the skyscale: I can't use my SAB raptor skin on it :p

Joke aside, the process of unlocking the skyscale isn't for everyone, but for me it was one of the most enjoyable pieces of content this game has to offer. Not just "join a zerg and run in circles to cheese the ever same events" that people seem to love these days to grind whatever content gives the best gold per hour, but real actual exploration, scavenger hunts, going all over the world figuring things out, and playing in all kinds of maps to gather different resources.

As others have said, it's not a "must have now" mount, but has a considerable bit of content attached. It's also not a "must have" mount but just a nice bit of qol. If you don't enjoy the quest you can easily stick to the previous mounts that will get you everywhere just as well. Its a classic example of the journey being its own reward.

@kamakiri sensei.1058 said:I just wish there was something for people with less free time then others.

Well the thing about the Skyscale collection is that while is long and tedious, it can be done over weeks or months. If you're not in a hurry to get the mount, then just take small bites at a time. Got a LW S4 map and get some currency on Monday, on Tuesday pick a different map, etc. 5-10 minutes spent here or there will add up, and will eventually finish the collection.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@kamakiri sensei.1058 said:I just wish there was something for people with less free time then others.

Well the thing about the Skyscale collection is that while is long and tedious, it can be done over weeks or months. If you're not in a hurry to get the mount, then just take small bites at a time. Got a LW S4 map and get some currency on Monday, on Tuesday pick a different map, etc. 5-10 minutes spent here or there will add up, and will eventually finish the collection.

Yep. That's almost exactly how I acquired mine. Took many months, but small steps eventually added up.

skyscale is absurdly overpowered in the sense that it lets you get virtually anywhere with zero effort. you basically wont have to climb anywhere ever again except for jumping puzzles that have no mounts zone forced around them. 95% of the obstacles and walls in the game mean nothing once you have a skyscale. a whole lot of of the climbing or events you are normally supposed to do to access certain vistas, hero points, points of interest or mastery insight suddenly means absolutely nothing to you because you can just hop on your skyscale and ignore all the work you are supposed to do to earn those things. its basically a mount that breaks a whole bunch of things in the game and gives you an unfair advantage.

so i think its very fair that getting it is difficult and slow. in fact i personally think it should take even more work than it currently does, because the amount of effort and resources it requires does not compare to the absurd advantages skyscale gives.

@Mutisija.5017 said:so i think its very fair that getting it is difficult and slow. in fact i personally think it should take even more work than it currently does, because the amount of effort and resources it requires does not compare to the absurd advantages skyscale gives.Gryphon took more effort, in my opinion, and does less than the skyscale.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:It's a goal to """""work""""" towards to. The game would be dead by now if everything was for free and instant.

TBH while i agree with the sentiment. I didnt have to work for it. I had a ton of backlogged currency stashed away from maps that i never bothered playing again after initial exploration and i was able to obtain it with ease in a matter of a few days(time gates aside).

Same here, but I was thinking about the people who have time to play a videogame while feeding 2 families working 3 jobs.

@"Mutisija.5017" said:skyscale is absurdly overpowered in the sense that it lets you get virtually anywhere with zero effort. you basically wont have to climb anywhere ever again except for jumping puzzles that have no mounts zone forced around them. 95% of the obstacles and walls in the game mean nothing once you have a skyscale. a whole lot of of the climbing or events you are normally supposed to do to access certain vistas, hero points, points of interest or mastery insight suddenly means absolutely nothing to you because you can just hop on your skyscale and ignore all the work you are supposed to do to earn those things. its basically a mount that breaks a whole bunch of things in the game and gives you an unfair advantage.

so i think its very fair that getting it is difficult and slow. in fact i personally think it should take even more work than it currently does, because the amount of effort and resources it requires does not compare to the absurd advantages skyscale gives.

True, a certain aspect of the game is lost. But lately I often catch myself thinking, "mm, how would I have reached that Vista if I did not have my skyscale?" and then I do that vista the old way, and feel a little bit rewarded. Yet still so grateful that I now have my Skyscale to go everywhere quickly, do map completions on Alts and harvest mats in easy mode. :) As rewarding as it could be to figure out your way up a mountain or building, I find moving and travelling with the different Mounts a whole new experience in itself.

@Mutisija.5017 said:skyscale is absurdly overpowered in the sense that it lets you get virtually anywhere with zero effort. you basically wont have to climb anywhere ever again except for jumping puzzles that have no mounts zone forced around them. 95% of the obstacles and walls in the game mean nothing once you have a skyscale. a whole lot of of the climbing or events you are normally supposed to do to access certain vistas, hero points, points of interest or mastery insight suddenly means absolutely nothing to you because you can just hop on your skyscale and ignore all the work you are supposed to do to earn those things. its basically a mount that breaks a whole bunch of things in the game and gives you an unfair advantage.

Having the skyscale -saves- you from the tedium of getting back and forth on maps. A much more effective use of time, that is a great reward for a veteran. A beginner will still have to do everything the old fashioned way and thusly experiencing the content 'the right way'.

@kharmin.7683 said:Gryphon took more effort, in my opinion, and does less than the skyscale.Only if you didn't have the money saved up (not entirely sure about even that, I don't think skyscale was cheap either) or had trouble with the events. I think it did require specific events, some of which were non-trivial or needed help from other people, while skyscale is mostly about farming map currency.But if you don't run into events you can't beat, there's a lot less to do. From what I recall, griffon took me three days to unlock, while skyscale took two weeks.

I just did this for my husband who felt the same as you (tbf, he's really not interested in playing games at all right now). 12-15 hours for the saddle materials, starting from scratch. Just pace yourself, take the advice here about how to do it efficiently, play consistently, and you'll have it in a few weeks at most.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"kamakiri sensei.1058" said:Sorta but lots what i read says its not worth it or fun in fact most of what i read say that its why they quit the game. also i got to these maps and more people are doing daily stuff over skyscale stuff.

It's annoyed many people no doubt, but the sheer volume of people with a Skyscale that you can see in maps shows that if it has scared players away, it hasn't done any significant damage to the overall population. Players quite for many reasons. Find some addition and find some players that "quit because of it" (and prob returned - I've lost track of players announcing they quit on the forums and actually came back a week/month later or continued playing)

The idea they had was sound for a prestige mount, I just think they overtuned it and it is a lot worse for new, catch up players than it was for us longer standing regulars who potentially had plenty of currency in the bank.

Are they going to change it? Pretty certain that's a no. It's a long term goal. Treat it as such and it wont be so bad. Nothing says you need to burst through the content to get it

I think a lot of player only see the amount of Gold you need to have ready to be able unlocking certain things (and map token, but map token isn't that hard to get from regular playing and buying from each Heart vendor). Some player might actually have a lot of stuff in their material storage which can be turned into Gold fast, if they are impatient.

As for how useful Skyscale is when you have it as a mount.

For me it make it possible to farm much faster, going from node to node. Avoid to get killed from Fury of the Brand in some maps (helped also to get Griffon without all to die from shifting between Skimmer and Springer to avoid standing on ground). There are also Mastery that is and other things that can be reached by some mounts (but tricky). A fully levelled up (from having all Mastery unlocked) is a very different version from the base mount. I was one of those "returning player" (have done most Mastery from HoT time) and did catch up to get all mounts, so I will say that, yes it feels annoying to unlock this mount, but it is not a reason to stop playing as you gradually unlock other mounts and work you way through story and maps. I had fully upgraded Gliding from earlier, so it might be a different feeling when you have not unlocked those other Mastery when you get access to mounts that can fly or be high in the air where you can launch or summon mounts in the air.

If anything feels like a let down, it is the Warclaw. It is also a long grind to get enough WXP to unlock for WvW (can be used in PvE, but there is better option for mounts). It have a high cost even for a returning player and you don't want to sacrifice defence (damage reduction) against NPC and siege weapon that can hit hard when they have been fully upgraded.

I had to write it somewhere that I too find it extremely annoying to get the Skyscale. I hate how long the process is and all the stupid little things you have to do. I don't mean to want everything handed to me, but I also very much hate that a game is making me feel like what I am doing is a chore. I want the Skyscale for many reasons, just sucks that I am not having fun doing it. I don't think a game should make you feel like you aren't having fun...