Jump to content
  • Sign Up

We could use more towns, villages and cities


Recommended Posts

In the base game there were many cute little villages and towns around the world, and it felt nice, they had names, stores, merchants, etc.But since then most maps we’ve been in have no new villages or towns, and the few ones that have them feel very rushed, just a few houses and NPCs around, no merchants, no tavern, nothing that makes it actually feel like a village.The exception would be the city from base PoF. That feels like a city. But since then? I haven’t seen any more villages that feel lively and populated, not to mention it would be. Nice to have some more places with merchants or other utilities in maps.This helps to make the world feel more varied and fun to explore. I understandIt wouldn’t fit in certain maps, specially those maps that are more like under a constant state of war or something like that, but there are many places that could use a more fleshed out village.This would also give some new places for role players, I’m not one myself but I like finding some of them around, makes the world more lively IMO.It would also add some more interiors in this game that is made mostly of open exteriors.More interiors in general would be nice, dank caves, creepy crypts, house interiors, castles, etc.Would you like to see more fleshed out villages in the game?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably put the Blood Citadel in there. It may not be as big as it could have been, but it had the right feeling and the NPC's gave it a lot of authenticity through their dialogue and behaviours.

I think you are overlooking some of the smaller ones which do have some nice little village feels and aren't really "rushed", but more seamless with the World. Amnoon is fantastic, but is very much a "capital city" approach and there can only be a certain number of those - usually one per multiple zones.

Having said that, I'm not against more nice settlements

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically, I feel like Kourna really fleshed out their small village in the north. People are worried, you can tell, they are angry, upset and worried that their crops are infected. The local butcher is asking for any meat you can find, you can see they're desperate slowly but surely. Good feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Blocki.4931 said:Ironically, I feel like Kourna really fleshed out their small village in the north. People are worried, you can tell, they are angry, upset and worried that their crops are infected. The local butcher is asking for any meat you can find, you can see they're desperate slowly but surely. Good feelingIt has a story which is nice indeed. But if you compare it to any ESO village that has a tavern, a market, armorers, etc, it still feels like it could be better populated in general.Blood citadel and the one in thunderhead peak arent what I mean because it’s basically one giant area, not a village IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sad that secondary cities aren't as fleshed out as the main ones, I speak as example as Skritburg for skritts... Song of final exile for Kodans... Astrozintli forelands for hyleks... In term of big cities, why not a "Tortuga" like huge city for corsairs/pirates? (Old LA was here for that, and now it's an empty place that have to be filled )Also not a lot of ruins, only some in ascalon, but apart that, no big castles, nothing.Have to assume that every city is nice, full of nice peoples; is it really the case? No big settlement of renegade somewhere? Icy svanir fortress?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@coso.9173 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Ironically, I feel like Kourna really fleshed out their small village in the north. People are worried, you can tell, they are angry, upset and worried that their crops are infected. The local butcher is asking for any meat you can find, you can see they're desperate slowly but surely. Good feelingIt has a story which is nice indeed. But if you compare it to any ESO village that has a tavern, a market, armorers, etc, it still feels like it could be better populated in general.Blood citadel and the one in thunderhead peak arent what I mean because it’s basically one giant area, not a village IMO

Well, forget cities for the Norn, Hoelbrak is not the normal for how Norns live, which is usually just two or three homesteads together, no amenities like you would see in a normal village, so you can forget that idea. As for the Charr, I'm going to guess all you get are the Citadels for each legion, and those few towns in Ascalon near the Black Citadel but that's it...once your out away from the main city it's mostly military outposts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe ANet can expand or improve on some of the current maps? For example, I really like Sandswept Isles.

I love the wet climate, the Isles separated by water, the mini fishing game and of course that tiny boat cruise <3 Maybe just add a tavern, more accessible buildings, more explorable caves and some underwater ones too, add more merchants and villagers. Give us swim wears <3 in the form of town clothes (so that we will not see guys playing female toons running around half naked in combat). If this really happens, I will move in to Sandswept and be a citizen there...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The irony with Sandswept Isles is that the two places that were very fleshed out were Lab-Sigma 05 instance and Rata Primus Cube Instance. Those instances don't limit themselves only to basic assets but also create an ambiance in lab areas: you have lab tables, but also bins, lamps, plants, sofa, tables, food plate.... those are very well modeled workplaces, and outside of the instance you can't find anything similar. Ton of potential for the map for lab complex, but many are just empty or closed.

AFutd6E.jpg

I would enjoy for sure a Rata Primus Cube lounge pass definitely. The difference is huge, in instances you have furnitures and a real scene set and then, you have the map, large empty places, not even reusing the new foes from the story. What I see here is Clearly Inquest 2020 VS Inquest 2013. We are 2020 now, and the instances definitely gave a fresh air to all of that, but the map... It's a nice map, but it feels like it's made based on earlier concepts like crucible of eternity or even Thaumanova. The only modern parts of the map, which I consider a plus, are the specimen chamber and Ley-line facility at Deimos isle. Necrobrand and Communications use new assets but it's just empty too.

I know, I would have preferred Sandswept to look like that with all the buildings fleshed out like in instances: (But the episode still worth a 17/20 from me)

! mamQmWH.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kodama.6453 said:All I need is a well developed and fleshed out Kaineng when the Cantha expansion drops.

Something ive looked forward to since the beginning of the game. It is trickier with Kaineng given the sheer size of it meaning it crosses multiple maps, but the potential for it is very exciting.

Good outposts, villages, towns etc are an integral part of the content, but importantly in establishing the living, breathing World for any rpg. I spent a week or two just in Amnoon exploring the nooks and crannies when it first launched. Divinitys Reach I still explore the streets of on occasion and new LA was great fun to spend time in when it was built - esp with the karka collection to go alongside it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

having a village is one thing, actually making them fit in the world without constantly taking meta's as forefront reason is another.i would seriously love to see villages around the world that really feel like ppl live in there, GW2 is kinda messed up in that regard because i have seen way to many villages and cities that simply make no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@coso.9173 said:In the base game there were many cute little villages and towns around the world, and it felt nice, they had names, stores, merchants, etc.But since then most maps we’ve been in have no new villages or towns, and the few ones that have them feel very rushed, just a few houses and NPCs around, no merchants, no tavern, nothing that makes it actually feel like a village.The exception would be the city from base PoF. That feels like a city. But since then? I haven’t seen any more villages that feel lively and populated, not to mention it would be. Nice to have some more places with merchants or other utilities in maps.This helps to make the world feel more varied and fun to explore. I understandIt wouldn’t fit in certain maps, specially those maps that are more like under a constant state of war or something like that, but there are many places that could use a more fleshed out village.This would also give some new places for role players, I’m not one myself but I like finding some of them around, makes the world more lively IMO.It would also add some more interiors in this game that is made mostly of open exteriors.More interiors in general would be nice, dank caves, creepy crypts, house interiors, castles, etc.Would you like to see more fleshed out villages in the game?

I wouldn't be against some update + story about existing capital cities too. The Pale Tree has not been touched since HoT prelude. Divinity's Reach has seen more focus with the White Mantle. Black Citadel, Rata Sum, and Hoelbrak has the least involvement.

@"hugo.4705" said:The irony with Sandswept Isles is that the two places that were very fleshed out were Lab-Sigma 05 instance and Rata Primus Cube Instance. Those instances don't limit themselves only to basic assets but also create an ambiance in lab areas: you have lab tables, but also bins, lamps, plants, sofa, tables, food plate.... those are very well modeled workplaces, and outside of the instance you can't find anything similar. Ton of potential for the map for lab complex, but many are just empty or closed.

AFutd6E.jpg

I would enjoy for sure a Rata Primus Cube lounge pass definitely. The difference is huge, in instances you have furnitures and a real scene set and then, you have the map, large empty places, not even reusing the new foes from the story. What I see here is Clearly Inquest 2020 VS Inquest 2013. We are 2020 now, and the instances definitely gave a fresh air to all of that, but the map... It's a nice map, but it feels like it's made based on earlier concepts like crucible of eternity or even Thaumanova. The only modern parts of the map, which I consider a plus, are the specimen chamber and Ley-line facility at Deimos isle. Necrobrand and Communications use new assets but it's just empty too.

I know, I would have preferred Sandswept to look like that with all the buildings fleshed out like in instances: (But the episode still worth a 17/20 from me)

!
mamQmWH.jpg

When do you send a resume to ANet HR ? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to spend a lot of time in main cities, and in term of size and exploration, DR, Black citadel, LA first version and Amnoon are the best. Rata sum is the worst. It feels like the city miss another fully rendered level: golem mines. The fact that Polymock arena is unused doesn't help with that feeling.Also, 50% of Rata Sum is forbidden to players and will tp them in jail, it doesn't help and waste even more explorable areas.7 years now that the guy is building the polymock asura gate and that golems are mining a new level.... Imho something should be done.

I would now rather see polymock arena nuked, and creating another explorable area instead like a real orders encampments or a market, a tavern, whatever. Rata sum is minuscule compared to DR or even Hoelbrak.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@hugo.4705 said:I like to spend a lot of time in main cities, and in term of size and exploration, DR, Black citadel, LA first version and Amnoon are the best. Rata sum is the worst. It feels like the city miss another fully rendered level: golem mines. The fact that Polymock arena is unused doesn't help with that feeling.Also, 50% of Rata Sum is forbidden to players and will tp them in jail, it doesn't help and waste even more explorable areas.7 years now that the guy is building the polymock asura gate and that golems are mining a new level.... Imho something should be done.

I would now rather see now polymock arena nuked, and creating another explorable instead like a real orders encampments or a market, a tavern, whatever. Rata sum is minuscule compared to DR or even Hoelbrak.

I agree, Rata Sum need real orders recruitment offices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...