Account & Character Rollback Issue (5/11/2020) - ANet Response

For what it's worth I've been playing this game for almost 8 years and this is the first time I've ever seen something like this happen. It's not normal, it's definitely a problem and I'm sure Anet will fix it as soon as they can. It's only just happened so they're probably still investigating to see what they can do to fix it without causing the same problem again. (Luckily it seems to have only affected the EU servers, which means the guys in the EU office can probably fix it, without having to wait for the head office staff in America to wake up and discover the problem.)

Real-money purchases are one thing I'm certain they'll be able to fix no matter what, because there will be records outside of the game of those happening so even if all the data on the servers was somehow lost they'd be able to see what you bought and restore it.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Anemone.5320 said:Anet coming into the office in the morning will be like that pizza guy meme hahaDon't worry too much, something similar happened in 2016 and everything was restored, though we can't know if the cause was the same.

I started playing before the 2016 rollback happened, can you report what they did afterwards? Like did they give back loot and progress that happened during that time or did they just let it stay like that?

I really hope they restore things back to the way they were. To lose days worth of progress isn't ok, at all. I played a lot this past weekend, and all that progress is gone. I also bought 1600 gems over the weekend and some of those are gone. I used the gems to buy an extra character slot, bag slot, and one living world episode. It left me with a little over 200 (had some from long ago). I just logged in to check what I have and don't have. My newly created character is of course gone. But I do have the empty character slot, so maybe that's one bright side? In the game, I still only have the 225 gems. So the game recognizes I bought the living world episode and bag slot, (since the gems are still gone) but I no longer have the extra bag slot or living world episode I bought.

So that's 600 gems gone. That is what's really upsetting me right now. With how long tickets are taking right now apparently, how long before we are refunded the money or gems I'm wondering? Hopefully they can just reverse the rollback and all will be good.

But at this point, I'm not going to play until I see how and if this gets resolved. I'm worried anything I do will be for nothing and get wiped. Disappointing because I had recently just came back to the game about two weeks ago, bought both expansions and was having a blast.

@Cyninja.2954 said:To be honest, the best thing they could do is take the servers down asap. See if they have a more up to date backup, load that one up, make an official announcement.

If possible that is. In case of no more recent backup being available. Taking the servers down for an hour. Making an official statement on how this will be handled, then reopening the servers, would still be beneficial.

As is right now, people are just in a state of limbo on what is going to happen, and the longer the server are up, the less likely it becomes to get a rollback to Monday morning.There's every chance they'll be able to get us back to where we were. Just because the current database isn't active/online doesn't mean there's an issue with the data itself. It could just be a problem with the hardware that runs the live database. Maybe one of the hamsters died.

yes, you should also absolutely throw your computer out of the window, that seems to be the right course of action in such uncertain events. I mean, right now, don`t wait for any clarification or people trying to fix things. That is what immature suckers would do, right?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Dillic.7643 said:There has been bug in 2016 where they had the same issue. They were able to rollback to the previous state. So I think the best thing to do is wait for them to restore everything.

That's good news.

Can someone from the U.S. please respond? We'd like to know whether that's really just a EU server issue.

Yeah, just checked in a panic after reading another thread on this. NA servers appear to be fine.

@"Algreg.3629" said:yes, you should also absolutely throw your computer out of the window, that seems to be the right course of action in such uncertain events. I mean, right now, don`t wait for any clarification or people trying to fix things. That is what immature suckers would do, right?

Really? You are going to play that attitude when people have lost money and time? Look, I think people have a reason to be hesitant to play the game right now until this is resolved. If you want to log on right now, play the game, possibly buy and spend gems, you go for it! But I know I'm sure not going to risk more progress and money being lost until I see how it's resolved.

Your response was uncalled for. I didn't see anyone in this thread overreacting given the circumstances. I don't see anyone shouting profanities, making threats or anything irrational here. The OP even said if it wasn't fixed, they wanted a refund. I suppose wanting a refund for money lost is an irrational response to you? I said I just wasn't going to play until I saw how and if this was fixed because I don't want to lose more time and money. Again, irrational response in your eyes? Should people's time and money mean nothing and we should all just shrug if off and say "Oh well, money thrown out the window and time wasted. No big deal!" Give me a break.

I'm sure ArenaNet will fix this as best they can. But it needs to be fixed, bottom line.

@misterman.1530 said:

@Dillic.7643 said:There has been bug in 2016 where they had the same issue. They were able to rollback to the previous state. So I think the best thing to do is wait for them to restore everything.

That's good news.

Can someone from the U.S. please respond? We'd like to know whether that's really just a EU server issue.

Yeah, just checked in a panic after reading another thread on this. NA servers appear to be fine.Considering how the both datacenters are connected by the TP, the solution would need to put both of those sides on the same baseline. So, either a data restoration for EU (if it's even possible at this point) or a (planned, this time) rollback of NA to the same timestamp.

Whatever happens, both sides should probably withhold from doing anything important until we'll all have some more info from Anet.

@SummerRayne.4672 said:

@"Algreg.3629" said:yes, you should also absolutely throw your computer out of the window, that seems to be the right course of action in such uncertain events. I mean, right now, don`t wait for any clarification or people trying to fix things. That is what immature suckers would do, right?

Really? You are going to play that attitude when people have lost money and time? Look, I think people have a reason to be hesitant to play the game right now until this is resolved. If you want to log on right now, play the game, possibly buy and spend gems, you go for it! But I know I'm sure not going to risk more progress and money being lost until I see how it's resolved.

Your response was uncalled for. I didn't see anyone in this thread overreacting given the circumstances. I don't see anyone shouting profanities, making threats or anything irrational here. The OP even said if it wasn't fixed, they wanted a refund. I suppose wanting a refund for money lost is an irrational response to you? I said I just wasn't going to play until I saw how and if this was fixed because I don't want to lose more time and money. Again, irrational response in your eyes? Should people's time and money mean nothing and we should all just shrug if off and say "Oh well, money thrown out the window and time wasted. No big deal!" Give me a break.

I'm sure ArenaNet will fix this as best they can. But it needs to be fixed, bottom line.

that is the "attitude I am going to play" when someone jumps to the most catastrophic and preemptively accusating conclusion the moment he realizes there is a problem. The rest of your post is a crude strawman.

@Norcelia.4520 said:

@Anemone.5320 said:Anet coming into the office in the morning will be like that pizza guy meme hahaDon't worry too much, something similar happened in 2016 and everything was restored, though we can't know if the cause was the same.

I started playing before the 2016 rollback happened, can you report what they did afterwards? Like did they give back loot and progress that happened during that time or did they just let it stay like that?

I didn't play back then either but that time they managed to return everything to normal items, gold, achievements, etc but we don't know if it's the same problem this time

Ok, so there is a rollback, Very frustrating but I understand these things happen. But I have lost gold for any canceled TP buy listings since the snapshot time. The TP has not been taken into account and I have lost around 900g. Seems the issue is on EU and they don't want to rollback the TP as well so NA is not affected, but if I will randomly loose 2 days of progress and 900g I think my 7 years on this game may come to an end quickly. Hopefully Anet will sort this out and actually give some insight into whats going on... Lack of communication only makes the situation worse.

I’m not sure we need a thread from everyone, but bear in mind Anet are not on our time zone. Their communication team prob aren’t even awake.

This has also happened before and was fixed before. Let’s just not panic or worry and wait until further news comes along.

Im sure the losses will be fixed

Can confirm that its an EU thing only. I went nuts on Aurora I achievements and finished 5/6 maps over the weekend, now I am back at 0....And a gem/gold issue aswell, I bought 85 BL keys with gems and sold the skins for gold, now the keys, the gems and the gold are gone...

This was not an intentional rollback. It's not something Anet decided to do, so absolutely nothing was taken into account - the server crashed and tried to restore itself.

We're still waiting to hear what they're going to do to fix it, and this might well be the kind of thing they're having to consider, along with trying to make sure the problem doesn't happen again. I'm sure they'll update us once they know what they're going to do, but until then all we can do is wait.

@Floppy.4936 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I’m not sure we need a thread from everyone

Well I disagree and since we probably only have a thread from <0.01% of the games player base, there are a lot more posts to go

It achieves nothing. It won’t fix it any quicker and just means they need to spend time merging them all and thus peoples wasting time

I’m pretty sure the urgency of the problem isn’t raised by the number of threads...

@SummerRayne.4672 said:

Money/gems will 100% be restored! Hell you have your own bank statements at the end of the day.Time is all people lost, and even that "might" get fixed if people will wait for Anet to at least wake up.

I am also not happy with this rollback, achievements and loot disappeared, and most importantly everything except gems rolled back, having paid for gems access to the Living World, gems did not return and the plot is blocked and writes contact support.

And the most interesting, it is not known or will be corrected, and if they are corrected, today will not be rolled back.

@Algreg.3629 said:yes, you should also absolutely throw your computer out of the window, that seems to be the right course of action in such uncertain events. I mean, right now, don`t wait for any clarification or people trying to fix things. That is what immature suckers would do, right?

I think you miss understand my post. im sorry if you got me wrong. but im completely fine. and im way to old to rage because of game. I have newer played this game until last 2 weeks. and as new player Im really confused what happens. And just wanted to see what other players can tell me about situation.

I guess you also lost stuff in game and now you raging in peoples comments. Is that what you do?)