Account & Character Rollback Issue (5/11/2020) - ANet Response

@Blude.6812 said:

@"Donutdude.9582" said:

You're welcome.

Seen it, and it is a useless for info. Basically it said 'ya we know, we will get back to ya, sorry, have a nice day'

It is not unusual for a business to not give any details while working on an ongoing issue like this. They will tell us what we need to know when they feel the time is relevant. This post was to at least let the customer know that the company is aware and is actively working to resolve the problem.

Not saying you specifically, but I find it unreasonable that during a situation like this, some people want to be provided information as if they are sitting in the room where the work is being done real-time.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Donutdude.9582" said:

You're welcome.

Saw that already but it doesn't really address that the game is for some reason still online, and people are still being allowed to waste progress.

Shut down didn't happen with the last roll back either, so why would they with this one?

Maybe because the last roll back (which erased 2h of game progress) was an intentional one in order to fix a bug introduced by a patch. This roll back (which erased a whole week-end of game progress) was not intentional though.

Intentional or not doesn’t matter unless there’s a high risk of it occurring again. With how rare rollbacks occur, this is very unlikely.

How does it not matter? If the roll back is not intentional - like this one - you probably might want to try to roll back that accidental roll back.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Would it be too much to ask that all of the other threads get rolled into this one?

Why do untidy forums offend you so much?Why do people feel the need to post a separate topic for the same thing that has already been posted numerous times on the front page?

Why does that bother you? Let them do what they want. ArenaNet have people who police these forums. They'll handle it.

Saw that already but it doesn't really address that the game is for some reason still online, and people are still being allowed to waste progress.

Shut down didn't happen with the last roll back either, so why would they with this one?

Maybe because the last roll back (which erased 2h of game progress) was an intentional one in order to fix a bug introduced by a patch. This roll back (which erased a whole week-end of game progress) was not intentional though.

Intentional or not doesn’t matter unless there’s a high risk of it occurring again. With how rare rollbacks occur, this is very unlikely.

How does it not matter? If the roll back is not intentional - like this one - you probably might want to try to roll back that accidental roll back.

You’re assuming that that data is actually available.

I agree with OP.Just because you CAN let people play the game doesn't mean you should. The longer the servers are running the more people are gonna be upset if the rollback actually does get restored. Until anet is certain they can't undo the rollback they should take down the servers.As things are going now either the people who kept playing after the rollback are gonna be unhappy if they can/do restore it or the people who played before the rollback if the can't/don't restore it

You’re assuming that that data is actually available.

According to their own words: "We've received many reports of account rollbacks, and are aware of the issue. We've alerted the server team at ArenaNet, and they are working on a resolution."The thing I am assuming, is that they don't know, if and how the issue can be resolved at the moment. You are assuming they know they can't resolve it.

Might get funny ... if they decide - because of the stuff with TP (which for some reason is shared with NA) - to do a further rollback ... to rever the changes in the last hours that have been added by playing ... + also rolling back NA to the same state.

I wonder why TP is shared between NA and EU. (I guess it is because of the easy possibility to switch between regions. With different TPs there might be manipulation.) Then again ... they should just merge everything. (Also having NA and EU PvP at one region.)

The reason the game hasn't been shut down is obvious: No one that is able to to so is awake/working. Just a support member in the 24 emergency working support that managed to make a notice on the support page and post it in the forums.

The devs and the forum moderation based in US are not online yet. (Also it isnt just a "server team in the EU" that can fix stuff ... if that server team just can restart hardware and stuff ... and not able to to bigger decisions ... when here we already have people complaining they wan't to keep the last few hours instead.)

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Seriously letting this alternate timeline continue is going to make matters worse. The longer the game is kept online right now the worse everything gets.

Totally agree. There are people completely unaware of what has happened currently playing who are at risk of losing everything they do if Anet rectify this accidental rollback.

The more time passes, the more they should reconsider not rolling back. More people are playing and not a single ingame notice. If no ingame notice nor server locks, then the rollback shouldn t happen. Can t have them choose between some players or others, for lack of communication...

@Akari Kage.1403 said:The more time passes, the more they should reconsider not rolling back. More people are playing and not a single ingame notice. If no ingame notice nor server locks, then the rollback shouldn t happen. Can t have them choose between some players or others, for lack of communication...

I aswell as many others have lost DAYS worth of progress, drops etc... They SHOULD return it to how it was! Just because some people have played for a few hours today doesn't make it okay to make us who have lost multiple days PERMANENTLY lose those days...

@Akari Kage.1403 said:The more time passes, the more they should reconsider not rolling back. More people are playing and not a single ingame notice. If no ingame notice nor server locks, then the rollback shouldn t happen. Can t have them choose between some players or others, for lack of communication...

i would agree with you if the TP wasn't bugged, people have lost A LOT of money today. By now, any action they do will make people unhappy

Well I'm sure they will be online later. As long as there isn't a few days holidays they should be available soon to lock the game or give an ingame notice. So the hours played now will probably not exceed 3 days. So reverting the rollback (if possible) is the best choice here still.

Only if they wait for more then 3 days (time played now getting bigger than the rollback) ... it would make sense to keep the state now. This is not about chosing where both types of players have lost the similar amount. This is about making the logical choice to keep the losses as small as possible.

@Chaonaise.4783 said:

I aswell as many others have lost DAYS worth of progress, drops etc... They SHOULD return it to how it was! Just because some people have played for a few hours today doesn't make it okay to make us who have lost multiple days PERMANENTLY lose those days...

Its a matter of warning people ingame or locking servers, the more time passes, the more rolling back becomes wrong.

Or you know, apply some reasonable thinking. Like; Hey, everyone is saying everything got rolled back to a few days ago. Lets check the forums. Hmm, last time this happened they were able to roll back, maybe I should stop playing until they fix it, instead of stubbornly keeping on playing and then going on the forums to say they should not roll back even though everyone in game is talking about this and the forums are full of posts about it, only because there is no official in game message. It just seems pedantic.

I mean yeah, an in game notice would be nice, and I agree the communication could be better on this issue, but I can't look behind the scenes, neither can you, and they DID eventually post notifications, both here and in the support section of the website. So if you still play the game regardless of all this information just because there is no in game notice....yeah.....

@Sigerk.2897 said:Or you know, apply some reasonable thinking. Like; Hey, everyone is saying everything got rolled back to a few days ago. Lets check the forums. Hmm, last time this happened they were able to roll back, maybe I should stop playing until they fix it, instead of stubbornly keeping on playing and then going on the forums to say they should not roll back even though everyone in game is talking about this and the forums are full of posts about it, only because there is no official in game message. It just seems pedantic.

I mean yeah, an in game notice would be nice, and I agree the communication could be better on this issue, but I can't look behind the scenes, neither can you, and they DID eventually post notifications, both here and in the support section of the website. So if you still play the game regardless of all this information just because there is no in game notice....yeah.....

Unless you have problems, there is no need to come to the foruns. My progress didn t chage since Friday and I am doing missions for 2h. how the hell should I know there may be a problem? The more time it passes, without in game notice or server lockdown the more the rollback shouldn t happen.

@adramhel.1493 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You’re assuming that the data would be restored. There was a roll back several years and data was not restored. Only those who purchased things with money got compensated and it was restricted to those transactions. If you had an ultra rare scenario of like a precursor dropping, you could submit a support ticket. Beyond that, nothing else happened.

you are right, but this time it's a 3 day rollback and TP is bugged currently (people are screaming in wvw map for gold lost). The main point of the post is : why the server is still up ? It should be down for maintenance even if there are no backup to restore

The length of the rollback doesn’t matter. If there’s a rollback, it’s likely because there was no other option.

It should only be down if there are integrity issues. An extremely rare case of a rollback is not one of them. You are free to not log into the game for the meantime until you feel that it will be safe for you to play again.

Well if they don't restore it, my 45 character will have to sit in mothballs, as I won't waste any more time on a game that can't be maintained properly.

I have a feeling that you’ll still be playing regardless.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You’re assuming that the data would be restored. There was a roll back several years and data was not restored. Only those who purchased things with money got compensated and it was restricted to those transactions. If you had an ultra rare scenario of like a precursor dropping, you could submit a support ticket. Beyond that, nothing else happened.

you are right, but this time it's a 3 day rollback and TP is bugged currently (people are screaming in wvw map for gold lost). The main point of the post is : why the server is still up ? It should be down for maintenance even if there are no backup to restore

The length of the rollback doesn’t matter. If there’s a rollback, it’s likely because there was no other option.

It should only be down if there are integrity issues. An extremely rare case of a rollback is not one of them. You are free to not log into the game for the meantime until you feel that it will be safe for you to play again.

it's not a rare case of rollback (it could happen, i agree with you).. there are many people reporting duplicate items (imagine people with 2x legendary items) and Trading Post is BUGGED : you sell your item for X gold but you don't receive any gold for the transaction: this is a valid reason to put the server offline until the issue is solved ESPECIALLY if no backup will be restored .

They can just shut down the TP. There’s no need to shutdown the entire game.

In this scenario should be better to shut down the entire game, we're not aware if there are other issues in the game (as i said, people have duplicated items). Anyway, you agree with me, the managing is poor if the dont shut down even the TP

We don't know anything about the situation in house. Shutting down the entire game can have financial consequences. It may not. It might help fix the problem. It might not. We don't know. Everyone needs to stop making assumptions and pretending that they knew Anet's systems better than their own team.