Survival problems with power Soulbeast

frareanselm.1925

I created a soulbeast focused in direct damage (berserker stats) and recently started the Icebrood saga missions. in chapter 1 Im beginning to have problems and even got killed easily.have to say that before purchasing pof I had a core conditions ranger (axe-torch) I'd spread 3 traps and the campfire and all mobs died easily.With soulbeast Iv'e to kill them one by one and the rest are hitting me hard.Should I reroll to condi or is this content doable going glass cannon.

No offense, but this is a learn-to-play issue. PoF and HoT expansion mobs and their respective living story maps are stronger than core game. That said as i posed in another place you could try my build. For open world/story content http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlZwuYRsHmJWsX7P9R8G-zRIYRUxXKNlAhVAZGB9GCqNL/usB-e Idea is to camp beast mode and cap crit chance to 100% with cheap food. I haven't had issues, but then again i've been playing for a long time.Alternatively a user named "Paper Roll" on youtube has a tanky condi build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUh/lFUwe6Zf9tu62ZoWaPlv/UgsAnfF-zRRYcKBjaiOPyQLFGIFVVeIGmI+nCBtHESdc3SFfD-e he's generally a advocate for condition damage, i don't agree with everything he said, but to each their own.If you'd like to learn more here's the vid.

• Like 1

@Infusion.7149 said:If you're killing them one by one you're using the wrong weapons. You need Greatsword or offhand axe ; merging gives you additional power,ferocity,toughness.

But for example mordem mobs, or forged they go in packs of 4/5 + a bronze very separated between them, I cannot pull them into a point and smash them. Thats why I have to 1v1. Greatsword or axe skill5 dont have so much range to hit them.

If you dont have wilderness survival. Take wilderness survival.

The protection uptime is high. The health regen crucial and the condi cleanse too.

I can also recommend a relatively offensive boon beast build that mainly relies on stacking boons with your pet and stances.

It utilizes nature magic, wilderness survival and soulbeast. With a small portion if diviners gear to gain 100% boon duration with moa stance and firework runes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflZweYRsOGKeaTlv0S84cA-zRRYBRNnNcQJnRgShoVBKeA-e

Pet is absolutely your choice and if you are full berserker without any diviners this will be fine to. The same is to say about not having ascended gear. Exotic is fine.

The combo is the following:Spam all utility skills in a row.Heal skill.Merge.Go ham with tons of might and stability. Good amounts of quickness and protection and nearly 100% fury uptime.

You have good health regen with a supportive pet even a secondary skill.

I know it's verging on blasphemy to the min-maxers, but for difficult encounters try slotting "Protect Me!" and/or Dolyak Stance instead of Frost Trap or (if playing solo) Frost Spirit. You will drop a bit of DPS but it should help when you're not fighting grouped mobs. Turn GS4 into your new best friend.

For grouped content there should be plenty of Protection, Aegis and blinds thrown around that you shouldn't need damage mitigation; go wild with stacking Frost Spirit and other damage modifiers.

@"calb.3128" said:I know it's verging on blasphemy to the min-maxers, but for difficult encounters try slotting "Protect Me!" and/or Dolyak Stance instead of Frost Trap or (if playing solo) Frost Spirit. You will drop a bit of DPS but it should help when you're not fighting grouped mobs. Turn GS4 into your new best friend.

For grouped content there should be plenty of Protection, Aegis and blinds thrown around that you shouldn't need damage mitigation; go wild with stacking Frost Spirit and other damage modifiers.

Maybe. I like leaping through my frost trap for frost aura (-10% dmg taken). For additional survival, I use Healing Spring instead of Heal as One. 3-4 leap finishers and heal from Moa is like another heal.

i dont have many issues surviving in full glass, but im pretty familiar with both the game and class...Honestly, a lot of being on PSLB is about game mastery more than build mastery IMO. I run the raid build in open world and it works out fine, though i'm pretty sure with a bit of boon duration i'd do more damage on solo content, i don't really care to optimise for something I still burn so fast story bosses don't even reach various phases anyway.

i run some comination of GS, dagger+axe and LB - exaclty what depends on what exactly im fighting. Often will be GS or LB and axe+dagger but occasionally i use LB+GS instead.LB has ranged damage, CC, and LB 5 + sic em is VERY efficient at killing lots of low health things at once, but I don't use LB in extended fights (mostly meta bosses and expansion champions).GS has a block, some CC and non-terrble cleave, and swoop is nice mobility especially where I can't mount (story, DS towers), kind of my default melee weapon.Axe offhand i use for cleave, reflect, and very rarely the weak pull. It is also VERY high damage and my weapon of choice for that reason, but sometimes having to stay still to axe 5 doesn't work great- LB + GS probably works better if you aren't used to power weapons.

Sword also works instead of dagger, but i hate how sword moves you and i like having an easily usable leap finisher, but that's personal preference, sword would technically be faster most of the time.

Tratlines i pretty much run the raid build exactly. If you wanted to leave full glass i'd go skirmishing + wilderness survival.

As for utilities, healing spring for condi cleanse, doylak stance for stun break instead of frost trap, i don't really need much else. I'm sure with moa stance or something I could be more optimal, but it's not worth the extra templates for me to optimise for open world so i haven't figured out the math on it.

You could always take that one unmerge instead of dying trait and LB + pet kite i guess, but PSLB glass doesn't have that many defences, though it has more than a lot of full glass builds have acess to - the block on GS, a CC on every weapon is about the only extra defence aside movement you have, so if you don't think carefully about movement you will die on it.

You could take smokescale and get both a smoke field and a somewhat unreliable defence in smoke assault, and leap finisher through it's smoke field for stealth to take a moment to get away.

@"Deax.1572" said:No offense, but this is a learn-to-play issue. PoF and HoT expansion mobs and their respective living story maps are stronger than core game. That said as i posed in another place you could try my build. For open world/story content http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlZwuYRsHmJWsX7P9R8G-zRIYRUxXKNlAhVAZGB9GCqNL/usB-e Idea is to camp beast mode and cap crit chance to 100% with cheap food. I haven't had issues, but then again i've been playing for a long time.Alternatively a user named "Paper Roll" on youtube has a tanky condi build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUh/lFUwe6Zf9tu62ZoWaPlv/UgsAnfF-zRRYcKBjaiOPyQLFGIFVVeIGmI+nCBtHESdc3SFfD-e he's generally a advocate for condition damage, i don't agree with everything he said, but to each their own.If you'd like to learn more here's the vid.

I have to say that these days I tried this build, with exotics trailblazer stats and now I can solo all challenges without trouble.Before when I played power build I suffered a lot, and a playing a game without having a good time sucks.I dont know if all thos who play glass cannon in fractals are skilled Gods or what, but I find unrealistic for example being avobe 90% hp all the time during a combat to get the benefits of Rune of Scolar.

@"frareanselm.1925" said:I have to say that these days I tried this build, with exotics trailblazer stats and now I can solo all challenges without trouble.Before when I played power build I suffered a lot, and a playing a game without having a good time sucks.I dont know if all thos who play glass cannon in fractals are skilled Gods or what, but I find unrealistic for example being avobe 90% hp all the time during a combat to get the benefits of Rune of Scolar.

Practice makes perfect, after years of playing ranger (it was my first lvl 80 character back in 2013) you get used to mobs thrown at you and know what to expect. Because of that i have no issues surviving most content on a glass cannon build. Lately I've grown fond of running a glassy power setup in WvW zerg fights too, if you set up your damage right and catch some stragglers away from the main enemy zerg you can delete them really quickly (One Wolf Pack -> Sic' Em -> Quickening Zephyr -> Rapid Fire) despite the February power nerfs. I have a couple of power builds that i run in wvw with varied levels of tankynes that are more than capable of handling Open world content/mapping/hero challenges etc.A lot of people take issue with how power and condi damage is balanced. You can afford going very tanky with condi damage because you only have 2 stats to worry about, you can't do that with power as your stats will be stretched too thin.If you plan on doing high tier fractals or raids then people will prefer you run full power/condi setup instead as there's a designated person for support/heals (not always the case in Pug fractals). Especially in raids where having more toughness than the main boss Tank will result in the boss aggroing to you which will screw everything up.Since in high tier fractals and raids there's usually a heal druid or firebrand staying above 90% health is realistic.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Power builds and power in general is FRONT loaded - meaning you do your big hits with no build up. Whereas Condi builds are BACK loaded - meaning you have to build up your damage. Because of this power builds are far better at bursting quickly, especially so if the boss has burst phases and currently Power Soulbeast is very good at it if you chain your skills correctly. 60k/s dps and higher is very doable as your opening burst, condi builds cannot achieve same numbers.Here's a Power Soulbeast burst (3 soulbeasts actually) in action against a lvl 99 Challenge Mode fractal boss with phases.

There's a video on the power rotation with a LB:

• 1 month later...

@frareanselm.1925 said:

@"Deax.1572" said:No offense, but this is a learn-to-play issue. PoF and HoT expansion mobs and their respective living story maps are stronger than core game. That said as i posed in another place you could try my build. For open world/story content
Idea is to camp beast mode and cap crit chance to 100% with cheap food. I haven't had issues, but then again i've been playing for a long time.Alternatively a user named "Paper Roll" on youtube has a tanky condi build
he's generally a advocate for condition damage, i don't agree with everything he said, but to each their own.If you'd like to learn more here's the vid.

I have to say that these days I tried this build, with exotics trailblazer stats and now I can solo all challenges without trouble.Before when I played power build I suffered a lot, and a playing a game without having a good time sucks.I dont know if all thos who play glass cannon in fractals are skilled Gods or what, but I find unrealistic for example being avobe 90% hp all the time during a combat to get the benefits of Rune of Scolar.

I had the exact same experience with ranger. Have been playing for few months now and found the power sb really hard to survive with. I tried that condition build and it immediately won me over. I see 3 benefits: 1) you get to use a ranged weapon as meta; 2) better aoe potential with all the traps and torch skills; 3) higher survivability (which is critical for gameplay experience if you like me dont have years of practice running the same mobs over and over again). In the end condi SB is a great way to get to learn about the endgame and then can always revert back to power build

• 1 month later...

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:If you dont have wilderness survival. Take wilderness survival.

The protection uptime is high. The health regen crucial and the condi cleanse too.

I can also recommend a relatively offensive boon beast build that mainly relies on stacking boons with your pet and stances.

It utilizes nature magic, wilderness survival and soulbeast. With a small portion if diviners gear to gain 100% boon duration with moa stance and firework runes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflZweYRsOGKeaTlv0S84cA-zRRYBRNnNcQJnRgShoVBKeA-e

Pet is absolutely your choice and if you are full berserker without any diviners this will be fine to. The same is to say about not having ascended gear. Exotic is fine.

The combo is the following:Spam all utility skills in a row.Heal skill.Merge.Go ham with tons of might and stability. Good amounts of quickness and protection and nearly 100% fury uptime.

Do people still use boonbeast? Still viable?

@tinyasian.8941 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:If you dont have wilderness survival. Take wilderness survival.

less in pvp/wvw. because of the power build nerfs. in pve its still good and in oPvE one of my favorites tbh.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:If you dont have wilderness survival. Take wilderness survival.

less in pvp/wvw. because of the power build nerfs. in pve its still goid and in oPvE one of ny favorites tbh.

Yeah I am having a lot of troubles surviving as a power beast with the build that’s recommended by snow crow/meta battle. I don’t remember Soulbeast being so hard to survive in the open world.

@ThornTracker.2091 said:

@"Deax.1572" said:No offense, but this is a learn-to-play issue. PoF and HoT expansion mobs and their respective living story maps are stronger than core game. That said as i posed in another place you could try my build. For open world/story content
Idea is to camp beast mode and cap crit chance to 100% with cheap food. I haven't had issues, but then again i've been playing for a long time.Alternatively a user named "Paper Roll" on youtube has a tanky condi build
he's generally a advocate for condition damage, i don't agree with everything he said, but to each their own.If you'd like to learn more here's the vid.

I had the exact same experience with ranger. Have been playing for few months now and found the power sb really hard to survive with. I tried that condition build and it immediately won me over. I see 3 benefits: 1) you get to use a ranged weapon as meta; 2) better aoe potential with all the traps and torch skills; 3) higher survivability (which is critical for gameplay experience if you like me dont have years of practice running the same mobs over and over again). In the end condi SB is a great way to get to learn about the endgame and then can always revert back to power build

Don’t you find condi build difficult to farm mobs in the open world? Power beast kills faster it seems.

@tinyasian.8941 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:If you dont have wilderness survival. Take wilderness survival.

less in pvp/wvw. because of the power build nerfs. in pve its still goid and in oPvE one of ny favorites tbh.

Yeah I am having a lot of troubles surviving as a power beast with the build that’s recommended by snow crow/meta battle. I don’t remember Soulbeast being so hard to survive in the open world.

Just swap out some of the utilities for defense. Moa, Protect Me, Dolyak. It already does so much damage that for OW you don't need damage oriented utility skills.

Edit: Builds in OW need to be self-sufficient. Benchmark builds never are since they rely on there being 5-10 players working together. So you just need to rethink what you actually need. Personally, I like the whole jack of-all-trades trope for Ranger because it does it really well at it, you can really be self sufficient in everything.

So, this works best when you go in and out of beastmode, not camping it.Running around in OW, keep the pet stowed, then when you enter combat the pet pops out and it counts as a pet swap for Zephyr's Speed and Clarion Bond. It will also get the boons from the Pack Runes.

Open with Moa Stance and be at 1500 range with the LB. Once the Smokey has used its shadow step and KD, enter beast mode. Using WHaO right before entering beast mode will maximise the boons gained through Fresh Reinforcement.Go though a rotation in beast mode, after 15s, drop back out, using WHaO to buff your pet again. Try to use PBS or Hilt Bash when under Moa for the Quickness from Sigil of Celerity who's CDs line up perfectly.

Using Moa Stance off CD lines up nicely with the Pack Runes and it's duration means you should always be able to either get the bonus from LtW, Clarion Bond, Zephyr's Speed since they all have the same CD which is the same as Moa's duration and beast mode cds is only 10s. Remorseless is even better to take if you prefer GS most of the time. Also, if you are spending a lot of time in GS or need more healing, just swap out the Smokey for the Owl or Fern Hound.

You should be able to pretty much solo anything with this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlZwiYhsHmJO2Xrv0Sm2BA-zRIYRUxPGhThKVg6ZR/lN-e

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Just swap out some of the utilities for defense. Moa, Protect Me, Dolyak. It already does so much damage that for OW you don't need damage oriented utility skills.

Edit: Builds in OW need to be self-sufficient. Benchmark builds never are since they rely on there being 5-10 players working together. So you just need to rethink what you actually need. Personally, I like the whole jack of-all-trades trope for Ranger because it does it really well at it, you can really be self sufficient in everything.

So, this works best when you go in and out of beastmode, not camping it.Running around in OW, keep the pet stowed, then when you enter combat the pet pops out and it counts as a pet swap for Zephyr's Speed and Clarion Bond. It will also get the boons from the Pack Runes.

Open with Moa Stance and be at 1500 range with the LB. Once the Smokey has used its shadow step and KD, enter beast mode. Using WHaO right before entering beast mode will maximise the boons gained through Fresh Reinforcement.Go though a rotation in beast mode, after 15s, drop back out, using WHaO to buff your pet again. Try to use PBS or Hilt Bash when under Moa for the Quickness from Sigil of Celerity who's CDs line up perfectly.

Using Moa Stance off CD lines up nicely with the Pack Runes and it's duration means you should always be able to either get the bonus from LtW, Clarion Bond, Zephyr's Speed since they all have the same CD which is the same as Moa's duration and beast mode cds is only 10s. Remorseless is even better to take if you prefer GS most of the time. Also, if you are spending a lot of time in GS or need more healing, just swap out the Smokey for the Owl or Fern Hound.

I don't use longbow, how does it work with GS and double axe?Same?

@tinyasian.8941 said:

Should be just as good, just swap Lead the Wind for Remorseless (Bursty for GS) or Predator's Onslaught (For A/A since you have the Chill) and swap Zephyr's Speed for Honed Axes. You lose some Quickness up time but it will be made up for by the additional ferocity from Honed Axes.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Should be just as good, just swap Lead the Wind for Remorseless (Bursty for GS) or Predator's Onslaught (For A/A since you have the Chill) and swap Zephyr's Speed for Honed Axes. You lose some Quickness up time but it will be made up for by the additional ferocity from Honed Axes.

I followed the build, yeap I seem to be able to survive better now. Just finished the Queen gauntlet’s arena as well. Happy!

• 1 year later...

Hey ya'll...sorry to necro this older post, but I've been struggling with finding a Soulbeast build that fits me. I've been using Paper Roll's Condi Druid build and I've been successful with that one. It's great for PvE meta events and helping out with bounty trains, etc. However, I really want to learn to love Soulbeast and I just can't. I've tried Paper Roll's build (video posted above...and here is the build editor link - http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUd%2FlZUw8Yf9tu62ZoWaPnNrUm18CgE-zxIY1o+vMiLVDsq85EEu%2FK+G-e) that uses a combo of Trailblazer and Dire gear, and I struggle with it a lot. I find I'm constantly getting bogged down when there's a lot of AOE damage flying around and you're having to dodge and get out of damage circles quickly. It's not just this build...it's every Soulbeast build that I've tried. I'm kind of at a loss. I don't have this issue with the Druid, as I seem to have a lot more endurance regeneration and evades so I can pretty much ping pong all over the place as needed. I really want to be able to do this with a Soulbeast. Another complaint I have is that there doesn't seem to be any movement speed boosts with the Soulbeast...except when you take the Beastmaster trait line (which pretty much all SB builds skip and take Wilderness Survival instead). You have this as part of the Druid line (if you take the trait)...and to me it's essential to my success in being able to get around quickly when I need it. 

I have had some success with Soulbeast in WvW, even over playing the Condi Druid. I'm not good at WvW by any means, but I can at least hold my own 1 x 1 with a Soulbeast (for the most part). I'm not really interested in heavy WvW anyways...I just do it for the reward tracks I need. BUT...with a Soulbeast lacking in movement speed, I can't keep up with groups. I can't get anywhere on those maps, actually...it's like snail speed. And if you don't have a Warbeast, you're kinda stuck. 

Any suggestions you guys might have to improve my play with a Soulbeast would be great. As I said, I've tried Paper Roll's Condi build above. I've tried the Condi Soulbeast from Metabattle (tried with Viper gear, which is a complete glass cannon...Trailblazer, and full Celestial). I've tried Power Soulbeast (which was great for trash mobs and farming hearts, but abysmal for me to just roll right into meta events I come across). 

Edited by DragonMoon.6098

3 hours ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

Hey ya'll...sorry to necro this older post, but I've been struggling with finding a Soulbeast build that fits me. I've been using Paper Roll's Condi Druid build and I've been successful with that one. It's great for PvE meta events and helping out with bounty trains, etc. However, I really want to learn to love Soulbeast and I just can't. I've tried Paper Roll's build (video posted above...and here is the build editor link - http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUd%2FlZUw8Yf9tu62ZoWaPnNrUm18CgE-zxIY1o+vMiLVDsq85EEu%2FK+G-e) that uses a combo of Trailblazer and Dire gear, and I struggle with it a lot. I find I'm constantly getting bogged down when there's a lot of AOE damage flying around and you're having to dodge and get out of damage circles quickly. It's not just this build...it's every Soulbeast build that I've tried. I'm kind of at a loss. I don't have this issue with the Druid, as I seem to have a lot more endurance regeneration and evades so I can pretty much ping pong all over the place as needed. I really want to be able to do this with a Soulbeast. Another complaint I have is that there doesn't seem to be any movement speed boosts with the Soulbeast...except when you take the Beastmaster trait line (which pretty much all SB builds skip and take Wilderness Survival instead). You have this as part of the Druid line (if you take the trait)...and to me it's essential to my success in being able to get around quickly when I need it. 

I have had some success with Soulbeast in WvW, even over playing the Condi Druid. I'm not good at WvW by any means, but I can at least hold my own 1 x 1 with a Soulbeast (for the most part). I'm not really interested in heavy WvW anyways...I just do it for the reward tracks I need. BUT...with a Soulbeast lacking in movement speed, I can't keep up with groups. I can't get anywhere on those maps, actually...it's like snail speed. And if you don't have a Warbeast, you're kinda stuck. 

Any suggestions you guys might have to improve my play with a Soulbeast would be great. As I said, I've tried Paper Roll's Condi build above. I've tried the Condi Soulbeast from Metabattle (tried with Viper gear, which is a complete glass cannon...Trailblazer, and full Celestial). I've tried Power Soulbeast (which was great for trash mobs and farming hearts, but abysmal for me to just roll right into meta events I come across). 

Drop trailblazer/celestial. Those stats are doomed to disappear/be nerfed because how easy they make the gameplay. Open world, raids, fractals, even WvW, everything is easier when you are being carried by stats. Stick to Power Soulbeast and learn the combos, the longbow/greatsword set works very good, and being full or almost full offensive stats inevitably forces you to learn what to do or what not, instead of just watching how the enemy dies from condition stacking.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Drop trailblazer/celestial. Those stats are doomed to disappear/be nerfed because how easy they make the gameplay. Open world, raids, fractals, even WvW, everything is easier when you are being carried by stats. Stick to Power Soulbeast and learn the combos, the longbow/greatsword set works very good, and being full or almost full offensive stats inevitably forces you to learn what to do or what not, instead of just watching how the enemy dies from condition stacking.

I had planned on trying Vallun's SB build to see if I can do better with that - 

Is that something you would recommend?

I've tried a number of their builds, which appear to be more power-based, as apposed to Paper Roll's, which are generally condi-based. It seems there is a big divide between folks who favor power builds and those who favor condi builds. I don't know at this point which is best for me. I've tried berserker gear before and tend to get my collective hoo-haa handed to me right quick. I'm not a professional gamer here...I don't PvP and I don't raid. I don't even like to do fractals, except when I have to for certain collection achievements. I just like to play for story and open-world event farming for achievements to pass the time. As it stands, I'm already not the person dying constantly when fighting a meta boss...I'm the person rezzing the people who are constantly dying, lol. But like I said, I'm generally playing Paper Roll's condi druid...or Paper Roll's condi dragonhunter...or Paper Roll's condi renegade. Guess there's a theme here, lol. Those are just the builds I've had the most luck with...but like I said, I can't seem to get a grip on any soulbeast build.

Edited by DragonMoon.6098