Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Spread some cheer and fight back Covid19? :)


Recommended Posts

I don't know if this is an annual thing GW2 team does, but one year they had Wintersday in July. It was really fun and unexpected. I thought it'd be a really nice idea to do that again this year, especially with all the Covid19 issues that are currently going on. An early Christmas would cheer a lot of people up and take their minds off of the pandemic problems. Wintersday sales, minions, and events. I don't know about other people, but Wintersday is just a really fun holiday to focus on and share with other people. :)

Also, this totally doesn't have anything to do with my want to buy the fawn minion from the wintersday minion pack.... I mean... it has been a couple years and all :open_mouth:

What do you think about that idea? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's annual in GW1, it's never been a thing in GW2

The problem now is, we already have two summer festivals in Dragon Bash and in Queens Jubilee/Festival of the Four Winds. On top of that we have the episodic content. I'm not sure thee is any room for another festival...it would be somewhat of an overload

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Randulf.7614 said:It's annual in GW1, it's never been a thing in GW2

The problem now is, we already have two summer festivals in Dragon Bash and in Queens Jubilee/Festival of the Four Winds. On top of that we have the episodic content. I'm not sure thee is any room for another festival...it would be somewhat of an overload

Oooh, Hm, I definitely remember them doing Wintersday in July in GW2. I think it was the first or second year. My brain might be totally making that up though....

Anyways, those are really good points. Festival overload would be a lot - oh you know what, maybe it was a Black Lion sale I remember but not the actual event. They had a sale of wintersday items in July.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TheUndefined.1720 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:It's annual in GW1, it's never been a thing in GW2

The problem now is, we already have two summer festivals in Dragon Bash and in Queens Jubilee/Festival of the Four Winds. On top of that we have the episodic content. I'm not sure thee is any room for another festival...it would be somewhat of an overload

Oooh, Hm, I definitely remember them doing Wintersday in July in GW2. I think it was the first or second year. My brain might be totally making that up though....

Anyways, those are really good points. Festival overload would be a lot - oh you know what, maybe it was a Black Lion sale I remember but not the actual event. They had a sale of wintersday items in July.

They never did Wintersday outside of normal in GW2, even in the early years

They have however sold Wintersday items on the gem store off season. Same with Halloween

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah Wintersday in July was a Gw1 thing.

There's never been a Gw2 version of that as far as I can remember.. and tbh im thankful for that.

Wintersday is probably the most tedious holiday in Gw2, at least it is for me.. I've become very bored of it over the last 8 years and most years I lack the motivation to really play much of it.Add to that now we have more annual festivals than ever before as Randulf.7614 said..We have enough festivals to cover for any content droughts which is great, the main problem with that though is that Gw2 festivals don't tend to change all that much year by year.This can lead to stagnation.. which is exactly what I feel with Wintersday and sometimes SAB and Halloween as well, but Wintersday is more of a culprit imo.There is a constant demand for new festival content each year because of this and even though there have been some improvements over time like the mount races, Secret Lair of the Snowmen, Adventures and the return of Reapers Rumble.. there is still demand for more new content.. like the continuation and replayability of the Halloween Story, more games to play, new SAB worlds and new challenges to go for etc.I have to say im in that boat too having been playing Gw2 since launch lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would Dragon Bash and Festival of the Four Winds then be cancelled, or pushed back until winter? Or would it mean two Wintersdays this year? Either way, no thanks; I very much prefer FWW over Wintersday.

@TheUndefined.1720 said:An early Christmas would cheer a lot of people up and take their minds off of the pandemic problems.

Edited to add: Not to be a Grinch, but not every GW2 player is Christian. I'm Jewish and I find Christmas - and therefore Wintersday - irritating and kitschy, rather than cheering and distracting. I'm glad it makes you happy, but it's not for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mezuzel.4987 said:Would Dragon Bash and Festival of the Four Winds then be cancelled, or pushed back until winter? Or would it mean two Wintersdays this year? Either way, no thanks; I very much prefer FWW over Wintersday.

@TheUndefined.1720 said:An early Christmas would cheer a lot of people up and take their minds off of the pandemic problems.

Edited to add: Not to be a Grinch, but not every GW2 player is Christian. I'm Jewish and I find Christmas - and therefore Wintersday - irritating and kitschy, rather than cheering and distracting. I'm glad it makes you happy, but it's not for me.

Fortunately you do not have to participate and it should not affect you at all. I hate that SAB exists at all and I have been told the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mezuzel.4987 said:Edited to add: Not to be a Grinch, but not every GW2 player is Christian. I'm Jewish and I find Christmas - and therefore Wintersday - irritating and kitschy, rather than cheering and distracting. I'm glad it makes you happy, but it's not for me.

Yes, commerical Christmas can be kitschy, I agree (especially in the U.S., I spent one Christmas in NYC :p ), but the spirit of the holiday has grown a life of its own, beyond the original religious meaning of it - so there shouldn't be any reason for you to dislike it beyond the kitschy decoration some American households put up and some people's greedy mindset. ;)

@"TheUndefined.1720" said:Spread some cheer and fight back Covid19? :)

If only a cheerful mind was enough to "fight back" the virus. As long as there are dumb egoists who ignore the rules that are meant to keep others safe, there is little hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things that improve morale in any way during this miserable pandemic are good things IMO. There are also impactful things that we gamers, in particular, can do where we not only get to feel good about it, but also are really contributing to the science of discovering a cure. Since many of us have gaming rigs with considerable power (CPU and GPU), there are a few distributed computing efforts going on now that will greatly improve the chances of developing drugs and vaccines to end this scourge. Folding At Home, Rosetta Stone BOINC, are really worthwhile efforts. I'm not an employee or scientist, but I figure, as long as my rig is sitting idle for large parts of the day, why not contribute those otherwise wasted computing cycles to the effort. Because there are now hundreds of thousands of people folding, we've created the word's first exaFLOP scale distributed supercomputer. I'd encourage you to at least check these projects out, if you haven't already, and consider joining.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...