Am I the only person who liked/likes Trahearne? :(

Cynder.2509

• 2 weeks later...

I think we was a pretty ok character. I also don't see the reason to hate him. He never really stole any of the spotlight or glory. He was handling the logistics while we were doing the killing. I do think that it was a bit weird at how suddenly he appeared and instantly got named the Pact marshal, but that's because he lacked sufficient backstory regarding his ties to the orders. But overall he was likable enough in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I always loved Trahearne, even though I started with a Human character! I love his design and his voice. I dont think it was bad at all, the voice REALLY suits his character, I couldn't think of a better VA. It's subtle, just like our marshals personality. The time where he fails are the epic speeches, that do sound kind of dull. But his moments where you can hear the shock like: "UNDEAD QUAGGAN?!" or the warmth in his voice when he says: "(...) I'll stand with you!", "(...)But for the first time, I have hope.", "We will cleanse Orr together." or even his classic "Well done!" wins me over anyway, it's adorable and makes me feel like his actual friend that impacted his life.

The biggest issues were the mentors, which were well liked - although I never really understood why. Yes, Sieran and Tybalt serve as great comic relief, Vorgal is also pretty charming, and I can't say that I dislike them, but... There was just no time to actually get used to them, in my opinion. And there wasn't that much depth. 

People saying he doesn't have any character development either never played through the Sylvari personal story, picked Caithe in the quests or simply didn't care enough to read. I admit, the way that ArenaNet revealed his issues only in this very specific path is very weird to me... It doesn't make sense. 

There's also one datamined dialogue from him which says that the Grove never felt like home to him, and Caithe was the only one who was actually happy to see him. I'm not able to find it right now, but I will link it when I find it. 

He is an outcast. The younger Sylvari treat him like a weirdo and some laugh at his Wyld Hunt. He gets treated like a powerless little bookworm in the mission where you go to that one dream reading Sylvari lady with Malyck and Trahearne. Quote "How quaint, are you going to hit me with a book? You're not Caithe. You're not even one of the Warden. What are you Trahearne? A useless scholar studying a dead land?" 

He is a very specific and stoic person, who clearly isn't good with emotions, who has a lot of doubts about his goals and has been ridiculed by his own family, yet he never gives up, and has travelled the world pursuing his goal, in the mean time making connections to the orders and all the races. 

It's no wonder he got picked as a Marshal, out of any characters in the game he deserves it THE MOST, given just his vast knowledge and down-to-earth personality. 

I love the contrast between Marshal and Commander, the mind and the sword. Of course this also depends on how you made your character out to be in your mind. Or If you Just decide that your character is meant to represent yourself.

And regardless of if you danced on his grave or cried, his death was grizzly. The whole HoT expansion was very grizzly, but him? Seeing him like that... Caithe gave into the whispers of Mordremoth so quickly, and Trahearne withstood it for Dwayna knows how long, right in the centre of it. He persevered and managed to open our gateway to victory, at an awful cost. Even Canach who despised the Firstborns said he's impressed by how long Trahearne lasted while being so close. For me it shows just how loving Trahearne is towards everyone, being able to stay fair and non-judgemental despite what he had to go through. 

I'm also sick of being the main hero with unnatural God-like powers in every game. I actually Just finished Skyrim before diving into Guild Wars, and even though its a fantastic game I felt absolutely exhausted from being the all mighty dragonborn

(now for a very personal part of my feelings towards him) 

I relate to his character on a very personal level, and I'm 100% honest when I say this, I'm not sure I would be here to talk about this if I didn't meet him. I met him at an extremely bad time in my life, and having someone so calm and collected, who managed to go through the impossible, REALLY helped. 

Even if placing so much love in a character seems silly, he helped me hold onto hope long enough for me to get closer to my family again and start therapy. I'm honestly very thankfull for Trahearne, and that Anet still gave him Just a little bit of attention in PoF and Lws 4.

Edited by BadBobaRat.5367
awful typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I actually just finished playing through the personal story yesterday as a Sylvari, and I still find Trehearne incredibly dry as a character. The voice acting isn't as bad as I remember it, but he still sounds incredibly lifeless to me.

21 hours ago, BadBobaRat.5367 said:

I always loved Trahearne, even though I started with a Human character! I love his design and his voice. I dont think it was bad at all, the voice REALLY suits his character, I couldn't think of a better VA. It's subtle, just like our marshals personality. The time where he fails are the epic speeches, that do sound kind of dull. But his moments where you can hear the shock like: "UNDEAD QUAGGAN?!" or the warmth in his voice when he says: "(...) I'll stand with you!", "(...)But for the first time, I have hope.", "We will cleanse Orr together." or even his classic "Well done!" wins me over anyway, it's adorable and makes me feel like his actual friend that impacted his life.

The biggest issues were the mentors, which were well liked - although I never really understood why. Yes, Sieran and Tybalt serve as great comic relief, Vorgal is also pretty charming, and I can't say that I dislike them, but... There was just no time to actually get used to them, in my opinion. And there wasn't that much depth. 

People saying he doesn't have any character development either never played through the Sylvari personal story, picked Caithe in the quests or simply didn't care enough to read. I admit, the way that ArenaNet revealed his issues only in this very specific path is very weird to me... It doesn't make sense. 

There's also one datamined dialogue from him which says that the Grove never felt like home to him, and Caithe was the only one who was actually happy to see him. I'm not able to find it right now, but I will link it when I find it. 

He is an outcast. The younger Sylvari treat him like a weirdo and some laugh at his Wyld Hunt. He gets treated like a powerless little bookworm in the mission where you go to that one dream reading Sylvari lady with Malyck and Trahearne. Quote "How quaint, are you going to hit me with a book? You're not Caithe. You're not even one of the Warden. What are you Trahearne? A useless scholar studying a dead land?" 

He is a very specific and stoic person, who clearly isn't good with emotions, who has a lot of doubts about his goals and has been ridiculed by his own family, yet he never gives up, and has travelled the world pursuing his goal, in the mean time making connections to the orders and all the races. 

It's no wonder he got picked as a Marshal, out of any characters in the game he deserves it THE MOST, given just his vast knowledge and down-to-earth personality. 

I love the contrast between Marshal and Commander, the mind and the sword. Of course this also depends on how you made your character out to be in your mind. Or If you Just decide that your character is meant to represent yourself.

And regardless of if you danced on his grave or cried, his death was grizzly. The whole HoT expansion was very grizzly, but him? Seeing him like that... Caithe gave into the whispers of Mordremoth so quickly, and Trahearne withstood it for Dwayna knows how long, right in the centre of it. He persevered and managed to open our gateway to victory, at an awful cost. Even Canach who despised the Firstborns said he's impressed by how long Trahearne lasted while being so close. For me it shows just how loving Trahearne is towards everyone, being able to stay fair and non-judgemental despite what he had to go through. 

I'm also sick of being the main hero with unnatural God-like powers in every game. I actually Just finished Skyrim before diving into Guild Wars, and even though its a fantastic game I felt absolutely exhausted from being the all mighty dragonborn

(now for a very personal part of my feelings towards him) 

I relate to his character on a very personal level, and I'm 100% honest when I say this, I'm not sure I would be here to talk about this if I didn't meet him. I met him at an extremely bad time in my life, and having someone so calm and collected, who managed to go through the impossible, REALLY helped. 

Even if placing so much love in a character seems silly, he helped me hold onto hope long enough for me to get closer to my family again and start therapy. I'm honestly very thankfull for Trahearne, and that Anet still gave him Just a little bit of attention in PoF and Lws 4.

Thank you for sharing this, I couldn't agree with you more. I also play a Sylvari as my main and even my side characters are all Sylvari ^^ Trahearne is a character you need time to get to know well because he is so good at shielding and hiding his emotions from everyone while trying to remain strong and hopeful. But if one has a bit of perception in them, they will soon find that he has quite the complex personality embedded in a complex situation. What I cannot get over is how he was finished off. It feels like he was quickly erased out of this world and script, for whatever reason, making way for much less complex characters. Every story arc was a little bit better having Trahearne around, at least for me. I miss him in every Pact Camp ever since HoT and I cannot walk around in that jungle without feeling that sting again. Also love the voice acting, dunno what people dislike about it. Trahearne failing at delivering a boasty pep talk is very much fitting for the character I think haha x3

I also hate being a Mary/Mario Sue by default who is coated in plot armor and prevails against every evil just because, and even if they die they don't lol... good story telling much... Then why can't we just bring back Trahearne too? Anyway, I like to see bonds between characters be the reason why enemies are defeated, because people grow close and strong together and work together to safe the world, not because one single individual is chosen to do so because they have no weaknesses. Such a character is boring... Ever since HoT it feels like characters just come and go, story is rushed, I don't create much of these bonds anymore. There are some who stick around but with so much lore having been cut out, I don't even get to experience their complexity as a character anymore. I also don't understand when people say Treaherne stole the hero spot and glory from the player. Trahearne was never enjoying attention and never boasted about being great or being the hero or anything for that matter. He fought alongside the player and ultimately the player defeats Zaithan.

Trahearne is easily my favorite character, has been since I started playing the game eight years ago or so, and I wish I could have seen him leading a happy life after his Wyld Hunt was completed. No one would've deserved that more than him. But oh well..here's where the headcanon comes in...

• Like 5

On 5/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, Kirana.8305 said:

Thank you for sharing this, I couldn't agree with you more. I also play a Sylvari as my main and even my side characters are all Sylvari ^^ Trahearne is a character you need time to get to know well because he is so good at shielding and hiding his emotions from everyone while trying to remain strong and hopeful. But if one has a bit of perception in them, they will soon find that he has quite the complex personality embedded in a complex situation. What I cannot get over is how he was finished off. It feels like he was quickly erased out of this world and script, for whatever reason, making way for much less complex characters. Every story arc was a little bit better having Trahearne around, at least for me. I miss him in every Pact Camp ever since HoT and I cannot walk around in that jungle without feeling that sting again. Also love the voice acting, dunno what people dislike about it. Trahearne failing at delivering a boasty pep talk is very much fitting for the character I think haha x3

I also hate being a Mary/Mario Sue by default who is coated in plot armor and prevails against every evil just because, and even if they die they don't lol... good story telling much... Then why can't we just bring back Trahearne too? Anyway, I like to see bonds between characters be the reason why enemies are defeated, because people grow close and strong together and work together to safe the world, not because one single individual is chosen to do so because they have no weaknesses. Such a character is boring... Ever since HoT it feels like characters just come and go, story is rushed, I don't create much of these bonds anymore. There are some who stick around but with so much lore having been cut out, I don't even get to experience their complexity as a character anymore. I also don't understand when people say Treaherne stole the hero spot and glory from the player. Trahearne was never enjoying attention and never boasted about being great or being the hero or anything for that matter. He fought alongside the player and ultimately the player defeats Zaithan.

Trahearne is easily my favorite character, has been since I started playing the game eight years ago or so, and I wish I could have seen him leading a happy life after his Wyld Hunt was completed. No one would've deserved that more than him. But oh well..here's where the headcanon comes in...

Oh, going back to the voice topic, I suddenly got reminded of the time the Commander had to give a speech in Amnoon and you had to choose the lines! 😄 Was it after Baltazar? Well, mine turned out... Poorly, with everyone confused, including me. That bit was hilarious, but it did also bring my memories back to Trahearne and how much rather I would have him do it instead! 

I actually strongly believe that ArenaNet should've made the Sylvari the only playable race, just like you are only able to play a Human in the original game, but being able to recruit other races. It already feels like the only 'right' choice for story alone... (And it comes from someone who loves each and every race. I have at least one character from each and they all are charming in their own ways, although Asura is my favorite!) Now, not only because you meet Trahearne early, BUT the racial conflitcs come into matter. The Sylvari are the most neutral, they don't have biases towards others, so a plant Commander and Marshal makes most sense. (Altough I guess this could also count towards the Norn? I'm not really sure, I don't remember them pissing anyone off in particular, please inform me if I'm wrong.)

And then, of course, the Orders of Tyria, being pissed at eachother. Trahearne is both neutral in regards to race and the Orders, and he doesn't serve under anyone, that's as close as you can get to not have anyone against you in this game's world. 

And yes, the infamous "He stole the credit" thing, I feel like nobody knows where it came from at this point. After the defeat of Zhaitan, he doesn't even want to go and party with the rest of the Pact because it was "us who did it". Even though, the reason he couldn't show up wasn't because he didn't want to, but because the cleansing ritual took such a huge amount of energy out of him. 

I remember walking him down from the Airship like it was yesterday, anytime theres a daily for Orr Vistas I go there by foot and stand with his mini, haha! 😄

Also I want to briefly mention the technical problems with him, that I noticed some people have had, like - he dies all the time and is useless in battle, which I think are weird things to complain about:

1. Is it Just me that never noticed Trahearne dying more than other NPCs? I always Just killed the mobs myself and left all the NPCs to ressurect eachother, I rarely had to do so. Did they fix it at any point? As I did start playing only a bit over a year ago, so maybe they changed it? 

2. No NPCs do big damage or are overtly useful, precisely because you are the player, and you want to be the hero. If Trahearne or anyone else was made to be as powerful as they probably would be lore-wise, the player would be left with nothing to kill. The best thing you can get from an NPC companion is a random Braham shield and a buff with a short duration. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Anet brought him back somehow. Now this is just my speculation... *puts on my tinfoil hat* But! They killed off two of the most liked characters as of late, Almorra and Ryland, and kept Braham alive, which a lot of players dislike. I almost feel like some writers got fed up with all the constant "Kill them off, kill them off!" and decided to punch us right in the face. If Bangar also dies (which he should, even though I like him as a villain, but seeing as Trahearne is the only example of a mortal being corrupted by a dragon to such a degree: once again, he didn't give up and he still didn't survive; so it would make absolutely no sense for Bangar to be alive when it took total hold of him, no?) I will be almost certain of it, it would be kind of hilarious to see... But they might just keep him alive to not get completely crucified! I would be okay with both at this point. 

Trahearne and how it all could've been is such an extensive topic, theres not nearly enough time to go through all of the details. One thing I really hope for is that Anet doesn't give into the pleas for killing off annoying characters just because. I'm not at all a fan of Braham, but it's a roleplaying game... Being annoyed for 5 minutes in a story instance wont ruin your day... Or at least it shouldn't! 

Edited by BadBobaRat.5367
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BadBobaRat.5367 said:

I almost feel like some writers got fed up with all the constant "Kill them off, kill them off!" and decided to punch us right in the face.

It was certainly a punch to the face, but I'm almost equally certain it isn't the result of the writers getting sick of requests to kill off characters. I think they're too willing to discard characters in some situations, but go so far as to resurrect others. It's all a matter of convenience to the writers, I think.

A recurring theme with GW2's treatment of characters has been to throw most of them away without fully developing them, in favor of introducing new ones. They spent a lot of time getting (or at least attempting to get) the player character to care about Destiny's Edge in the core game. They then essentially dismember that group in living world and HoT (send Rytlock to the mists, Caithe becomes a potential traitor, Zojja and Logan get knocked out, Eir is outright killed) and throw a whole bunch of new characters on us and start the process all over again, just more poorly than the first time. For those of us who didn't have access to LWS1, starting S2 and HoT was extremely weird. Who are these weirdos calling me 'boss'? Why would ANet even do this?

We got our answer: on the subreddit, Peter Fries (a former longtime writer for GW2) openly stated that they don't care about world building, but instead focus on telling the new stories they want to tell, using new characters. The result of this thinking is the mess of Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch. I for one really want the Commander to officially disband Dragon's Watch. It's one of the most narratively useless groupings I've ever come across.

I think Trahearne's death was a result of the same tendency. They wanted to end his arc completely at the end of HoT, so as to be free to throw new stories at us with brand new characters. I mean, I can see the value in change; some franchises can't get past certain characters that loom large in their lore, and it gets super stale super quick. But I feel like some characters in GW2 just never get a chance. It sounds like you think Trahearne is one of them, although I personally didn't care much for him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

It was certainly a punch to the face, but I'm almost equally certain it isn't the result of the writers getting sick of requests to kill off characters. I think they're too willing to discard characters in some situations, but go so far as to resurrect others. It's all a matter of convenience to the writers, I think.

A recurring theme with GW2's treatment of characters has been to throw most of them away without fully developing them, in favor of introducing new ones. They spent a lot of time getting (or at least attempting to get) the player character to care about Destiny's Edge in the core game. They then essentially dismember that group in living world and HoT (send Rytlock to the mists, Caithe becomes a potential traitor, Zojja and Logan get knocked out, Eir is outright killed) and throw a whole bunch of new characters on us and start the process all over again, just more poorly than the first time. For those of us who didn't have access to LWS1, starting S2 and HoT was extremely weird. Who are these weirdos calling me 'boss'? Why would ANet even do this?

We got our answer: on the subreddit, Peter Fries (a former longtime writer for GW2) openly stated that they don't care about world building, but instead focus on telling the new stories they want to tell, using new characters. The result of this thinking is the mess of Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch. I for one really want the Commander to officially disband Dragon's Watch. It's one of the most narratively useless groupings I've ever come across.

I think Trahearne's death was a result of the same tendency. They wanted to end his arc completely at the end of HoT, so as to be free to throw new stories at us with brand new characters. I mean, I can see the value in change; some franchises can't get past certain characters that loom large in their lore, and it gets super stale super quick. But I feel like some characters in GW2 just never get a chance. It sounds like you think Trahearne is one of them, although I personally didn't care much for him.

That's a great point and thank you for the additional information. You just reminded me of one of WoodenPotatoes videos, where he and others talked about all the disregarded Pact Members like Gorr... It's certainly a weird decision on their part. Even if you want to add new characters, there's no need to kill off the old ones or replace them, especially since it would add that feeling of friendship with the characters. Quite bizarre that they do it so often.

The fact that a former writer confirmed this is quite upsetting... I really hope they will change it in the future. And I agree with you on Dragons Watch. The only time I actually remember it being mentioned is in Lws 3 where it got introduced, and now all I remember it from is the outfit!  

1 hour ago, BadBobaRat.5367 said:

Oh, going back to the voice topic, I suddenly got reminded of the time the Commander had to give a speech in Amnoon and you had to choose the lines! 😄 Was it after Baltazar? Well, mine turned out... Poorly, with everyone confused, including me. That bit was hilarious, but it did also bring my memories back to Trahearne and how much rather I would have him do it instead! 

I actually strongly believe that ArenaNet should've made the Sylvari the only playable race, just like you are only able to play a Human in the original game, but being able to recruit other races. It already feels like the only 'right' choice for story alone... (And it comes from someone who loves each and every race. I have at least one character from each and they all are charming in their own ways, although Asura is my favorite!) Now, not only because you meet Trahearne early, BUT the racial conflitcs come into matter. The Sylvari are the most neutral, they don't have biases towards others, so a plant Commander and Marshal makes most sense. (Altough I guess this could also count towards the Norn? I'm not really sure, I don't remember them pissing anyone off in particular, please inform me if I'm wrong.)

And then, of course, the Orders of Tyria, being pissed at eachother. Trahearne is both neutral in regards to race and the Orders, and he doesn't serve under anyone, that's as close as you can get to not have anyone against you in this game's world. 

And yes, the infamous "He stole the credit" thing, I feel like nobody knows where it came from at this point. After the defeat of Zhaitan, he doesn't even want to go and party with the rest of the Pact because it was "us who did it". Even though, the reason he couldn't show up wasn't because he didn't want to, but because the cleansing ritual took such a huge amount of energy out of him. 

I remember walking him down from the Airship like it was yesterday, anytime theres a daily for Orr Vistas I go there by foot and stand with his mini, haha! 😄

Also I want to briefly mention the technical problems with him, that I noticed some people have had:

1. Is it Just me that never noticed Trahearne dying more than other NPCs? I always Just killed the mobs myself and left all the NPCs to ressurect eachother, I rarely had to do so. Did they fix it at any point? As I did start playing only a bit over a year ago, so maybe they changed it? 

2. No NPCs do big damage or are overtly useful, precisely because you are the player, and you want to be the hero. If Trahearne or anyone else was made to be as powerful as they probably would be lore-wise, the player would be left with nothing to kill. The best thing you can get from an NPC companion is a random Braham shield and a buff with a short duration. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Anet brought him back somehow. Now this is just my speculation... *puts on my tinfoil hat* But! They killed off two of the most liked characters as of late, Almorra and Ryland, and kept Braham alive, which a lot of players dislike. I almost feel like some writers got fed up with all the constant "Kill them off, kill them off!" and decided to punch us right in the face. If Bangar also dies (which he should, even though I like him as a villain, but seeing as Trahearne is the only example of a mortal being corrupted by a dragon to such a degree: once again, he didn't give up and he still didn't survive; so it would make absolutely no sense for Bangar to be alive when it took total hold of him, no?) I will be almost certain of it, it would be kind of hilarious to see... But they might just keep him alive to not get completely crucified! I would be okay with both at this point. 

Trahearne and how it all could've been is such an extensive topic, theres not nearly enough time to go through all of the details. One thing I really hope for is that Anet doesn't give into the pleas for killing off annoying characters just because. I'm not at all a fan of Braham, but it's a roleplaying game... Being annoyed for 5 minutes in a story instance wont ruin your day... Or at least it shouldn't! 

You makin me feel some feels here, lemme try to break up my thoughts so it gets easier to read ^^

On the speech in Amnoon:

Same here, in that moment I literally thought "if only Trahearne was here to give that speech instead of me" x3 He would have been equally bad at it but I would've loved to see that. Just love him for his imperfections. Instead I gave a weird speech, tried to make it vague as Canach suggested just to get a snarky comment from him on being too vague and I was like... >.> DUDE, DO IT YOURSELF THEN... jeez...

On the Sylvari and the party after Zhaitan's defeat:

I think it would be strange if players could only play one race, that would cut the diversity of the game. But I agree very much in that the Sylvari as a fairly young race are less judgemental than Charr for example. On the other hand they can be so naive, it is sometimes cute but sometimes annoying ^^ Every race has their quirks and that is fine, it's what makes the world so interesting. All are suitable commanders. Trahearne himself is very open-minded, I think. He is a scholar, not a warrior, as he keeps saying. His reasonble thinking and knowledge make him a fine marshall and an invaluable companion. But I do get that non-Sylvari players get Trahearne thrown at them out of nowhere and are a little confused. As a player who's known him from the start, I feel like he is doing so much for everyone else and the whole cause of the pact, but gets little back. Everyone partying while he is still recovering was one of those moments for me. I felt stupid being celebrated for something I thought I didn't do alone while no one cared that Trahearne had cleansed Orr. So in my headcanon my character spent some time with him on the airship, staring at the sky, talking and giving him some company before eventually convincing him to join the festivities a bit ^^

On the other issues regaring Trahearne:

I never felt like he was useless in battle or died more often than others... in fact, look at Caithe who is always just standing there doing nothing (which I think is actually a bug) or vanishing alltogether, like "Yup, we should totally defeat them, good luck with that".. NPCs are not overly useful in battles, no.. xD but like you said. Player is the hero. I wish NPCs would be more useful though as to allow for certain story instances to have a more tactical side to them in combat. But usually I just smash it lol.

On that 'kill them off' issue:

Now that one has me PISSED TM. First of all, I find such a comment/demand incredibly malicious. Yes, these are just fictive characters, ok. But every time someone dies, even if it is 'just' a character, I feel a little sad. Death is a sad thing. Throwing something around like 'kill them please' - Nope, sorry, I find that awful. You don't have to like every character or even care, but then I would prefer silence over such comments... Remember when Apatia died? I have known her for the five minutes I got to spend with her during that chapter and still I felt her death was sad. So don't get me started on Trahearne...
I can only hope that Anet does not act on such demands from people, that would be very low in my book. But I don't actually believe that's what happened. I think it is likely the case as voltaicbore stated above.

As for what the future holds, you are right, that is a massive subject. I'm always happy to share headcanons and I haven't played Icebrood Saga yet, so I am excited to see what happens there and thereafter, but I don't have much hope for Trahearne to return. Aside from that being poor storytelling, because death becomes meaningless if everyone comes back from it. But I am torn on this because of course I want him back and I would even accept the poor storytelling for it xD

Edited by Kirana.8305
spelling mistakes
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kirana.8305 said:

I never felt like he was useless in battle or died more often than others... in fact, look at Caithe who is always just standing there doing nothing (which I think is actually a bug) or vanishing alltogether, like "Yup, we should totally defeat them, good luck with that".. NPCs are not overly useful in battles, no.. xD but like you said. Player is the hero. I wish NPCs would be more useful though as to allow for certain story instances to have a more tactical side to them in combat. But usually I just smash it lol.

Yes, exactly! I never understood where certain people got those issues from. I think all of the NPC AI is equally bugged in the early stories! Example, when you go with Trahearne in the Sylvari personal story and he yells "A stampede!" but stays right in the middle of the road and gets stunned, has me on the floor everytime, and today as I was replaying the first episode from Lws 2 Taimi was running back and forth while getting mercilessly beaten by the Inquest, for 10 minutes! Impressive! And then the awkward silence between conversations! I always find it more funny than annoying. 

31 minutes ago, Kirana.8305 said:

Now that one has me PISSED TM. First of all, I find such a comment/demand incredibly malicious. Yes, these are just fictive characters, ok. But every time someone dies, even if it is 'just' a character, I feel a little sad. Death is a sad thing. Throwing something around like 'kill them please' - Nope, sorry, I find that awful. You don't have to like every character or even care, but then I would prefer silence over such comments... Remember when Apatia died? I have known her for the five minutes I got to spend with her during that chapter and still I felt her death was sad. So don't get me started on Trahearne...
I can only hope that Anet does not act on such demands from people, that would be very low in my book. But I don't actually believe that's what happened. I think it is likely the case as voltaicbore stated above.

Same! Even when I don't really like the specific character I still just feel... Bad for them. We have to remember what world they live in, of course they will be stressed out and make stupid decisions! I would faint the second I saw a Risen! And even if I don't enjoy them, my Commander does. The Commander went through hell and back, even with the plot armor and being an idiot, imagine how sad and painful it would be for the character itself, if you remove yourself from the equation. And some people relate to them, use them for emotional support, and that's definitely important. Stating your opinion on a character is one thing, but ruining someones day just because they said they like them is a whole diffrent thing. Thankfully only a small minority does that!

• Like 2

Trahearne is peak of sounding like a lifeless character, idk if the voice actor did it on purpose or what.. I'm trying to imagine him as a character without the voice so I can be objective, but idk if I can. I didn't like him at all, nor did I care when he sacrificed himself. But, he wasn't very annoying like the other characters, just boring. So I'd put him ahead of most npcs.