Are there any plans to merge character progression to account based?

Nova.7261

One of my main problems with GW2 is that, though it has tried, much of its content needs to be done over when starting another character. Alternate characters are nice for the convenience they provide, especially in pvp. I'm able to log out, and log in for quick continued play on characters that have been prepped for solo, team, and experimental play. I don't get to dive too deep into content pve and wvw wise though with multiple characters, because now there's this enormous wall of grinding that doesn't even give you rewards.

I'd like to understand why it is like this or if there are any plans to change it. With so many character slots available, the potential for unrewarded work to bring them up to end game worthiness is simply mind boggling.

As for the issue with gear in the same line of thinking, I don't care. Legendaries are account bound and ascended drops enough to equip multiple characters in its armour. I'm fine working with exotic too, you can survive 95%++ of the game with it.

You can't beat an mmo, so I choose to play all its content in as many variations as possible. That for me is fun.

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't want one character to complete the game, leaving nothing for my other characters to do. My exception there would be the elite specs, somehow making them unlocked for all characters of the same profession, or something. Still, that is a minor concern.

You can now pay to unlock Core waypoints, and get a geared-up level 80, so the game is drawing closer to what you want in that regard.

That is a bad idea:

• Character progression means repeatable rewards.

• Account progression means a one-time reward.

I'd rather see more things shifted over to the first option, rather than the other way around. Like Living Story Mastery: currently you can only earn these chapter-specific rewards once. If they were per character you could get a lot more free Ascended accessories and stuff.

What exactly is it that you find laborious to do the 7th time around?

• Personal story? Only needs to be done once unless you happen to want the AP for trying different races or for the joy of doing the story.
  • Masteries? already account bound progress for exactly the OP's reasons
  • Leveling? You can choose to bypass this by spending gems for the insta-L80 unlock or doing PvP/WvW or even saved up from login rewards.
  • Exploring? You can similarly choose to bypass this by spending gems or getting on a mount and racing around.
  • Gearing up? You can choose to share ascended gear or go with rares (good for much of PvE) or exotics (better, for nominally more).

Is there anything else that the OP wants to skip?

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:I disagree. I like having the opportunity to re-explore Tyria with my alts, and leveling in Guild Wars 2 is fast enough as is, especially considering the number of Tomes of Knowledge that gets kicked around.

Still find those tomes nigh impossible to get unless you're into non PVE.

I'm pretty much a PvE only player and I have like 200 of those laying around...

@Ojimaru.8970 said:I disagree. I like having the opportunity to re-explore Tyria with my alts, and leveling in Guild Wars 2 is fast enough as is, especially considering the number of Tomes of Knowledge that gets kicked around.

They literally give you bunches of them via daily rewards, with 2-3 easily accessible via fractal dailies in T1 alone.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

They literally give you bunches of them via daily rewards, with 2-3 easily accessible via fractal dailies in T1 alone.

Guess I should give Fractal T1 daily a try in an hour to see if I can get any tomes through that.Daily rewards give maybe 2 or 3 writs a day which still takes over a week to even get 1 tome.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

Guess I should give Fractal T1 daily a try in an hour to see if I can get any tomes through that.Daily rewards give maybe 2 or 3 writs a day which still takes over a week to even get 1 tome.

And 10 tomes a month from the daily login rewards.

The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is HP's Account wide rather then character specific.... when ability's unlock can stay the same. You can still level up and explore the story as you like. "Discover" new abilities as you level up would be the same, you just wouldn't have to re-earn the currency to pay to train them over and over.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:What exactly is it that you find laborious to do the 7th time around?

• Personal story? Only needs to be done once unless you happen to want the AP for trying different races or for the joy of doing the story.
  • Masteries? already account bound progress for exactly the OP's reasons
  • Leveling? You can choose to bypass this by spending gems for the insta-L80 unlock or doing PvP/WvW or even saved up from login rewards.
  • Exploring? You can similarly choose to bypass this by spending gems or getting on a mount and racing around.
  • Gearing up? You can choose to share ascended gear or go with rares (good for much of PvE) or exotics (better, for nominally more).

Is there anything else that the OP wants to skip?

You forget to mention:

• WvW levels and mastery points are shared. Additionally each character has their own pool of WvW mastery points to use independantly i.e. each character can have a different build without additional WvW leveling.
  • Learned crafting recipes (not discovered recipes) are account wide. This used to be character bound.
  • Account wide wallet for various currencies. This used to be character bound too.
  • Account wide cosmetics: skins, outfits, dyes, minis. Dyes were character bound originally.

It helps if OP were more specific as to his complaints. There have been many changes over the years to make the game alt friendly.

For the most part, everything that can reasonably be made account-wide has been. There's a few exceptions, but they're things like agony resistance (which needs to become an account stat the same way Magic Find did) and "you've cleared (insert dungeon) story mode".

@Haishao.6851 said:I think there's already too much account progression and account bound things.What is account-based that you think shouldn't be, exactly?

Things that should be brought to account wide are:~ Map reveal - having all teleporters and seeing the map even though the area hasn't been discovered yet.~ All Exotic gear to be account bound- because originally that gear type was the maximum when the game launched.~ The early main storyline, which was season 1 originally. The story of going through and attacking Orr and Teq to completion.~ Hero points for the purposes of elite specs should be made universal so that if you have 9 toons, and one toon is your main, and you've completed the maps hero points to get enough points to build a full elite spec, then all characters on that account should be able to use those same points each to build their elite builds in PVE.

I think people misunderstood. I don't consider stories or mapping to be part of character progression. Those are things that have rewards. What I don't agree with is retraining specialization levels for each character. That's not hundreds of levels, that's thousands. And there are no rewards other then "this character" being able to match the build of "this other" character.

The current character slot max I believe is 69. That is a potentially massive time sink that is ultimately not progressing the player in any way. They could play the game differently, on one character, and be far far ahead.

I have a bunch of characters and would just like to see myself play them all more.

Archived