Are there any plans to merge character progression to account based?

Nova.7261

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:I disagree. I like having the opportunity to re-explore Tyria with my alts, and leveling in Guild Wars 2 is fast enough as is, especially considering the number of Tomes of Knowledge that gets kicked around.

Still find those tomes nigh impossible to get unless you're into non PVE.

They literally give you bunches of them via daily rewards, with 2-3 easily accessible via fractal dailies in T1 alone.

Guess I should give Fractal T1 daily a try in an hour to see if I can get any tomes through that.Daily rewards give maybe 2 or 3 writs a day which still takes over a week to even get 1 tome.

And 10 tomes a month from the daily login rewards.

yeah I know of those, but that's still not much.Also didn't get a single tome from daily T1 fractals when I did them today. Not sure what the trick is.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:I disagree. I like having the opportunity to re-explore Tyria with my alts, and leveling in Guild Wars 2 is fast enough as is, especially considering the number of Tomes of Knowledge that gets kicked around.

They literally give you bunches of them via daily rewards, with 2-3 easily accessible via fractal dailies in T1 alone.

Guess I should give Fractal T1 daily a try in an hour to see if I can get any tomes through that.Daily rewards give maybe 2 or 3 writs a day which still takes over a week to even get 1 tome.

yeah I know of those, but that's still not much.Also didn't get a single tome from daily T1 fractals when I did them today. Not sure what the trick is.

If you’re willing to do PvP/WvW dailies you’ll get more. The reward tracks give a tome at regular intervals.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

If you’re willing to do PvP/WvW dailies you’ll get more. The reward tracks give a tome at regular intervals.

Yeah that's what I meant though. Wish there was a way those tomes "drop like candy" people said outside of PvP/WvW.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

Yeah that's what I meant though. Wish there was a way those tomes "drop like candy" people said outside of PvP/WvW.

That would be nice however they don’t and probably never will. They drop in PvP/WvW because that’s the only way for those people to level their chars. Neither PvP or WvW give XP for playing so they need tomes so they can level.

If people want tomes they can do the easy PvP/WvW dailies. For example, WvW has monuments, big spender, vet mob killing.. PvP has rooms where PvE players do PvP dailies and there is also the non ranked rooms which is usually low stress as win/loss doesn’t impact PvP ranking. I generally try to do one or two WvW/PvP dailies. I progress along the tracks pretty slowly but I still get tomes on a regular basis from those two tracks. You might look into it.

@Nova.7261 said:I think people misunderstood.Or perhaps you weren't very specific about what you did mean in your original post.

What I don't agree with is retraining specialization levels for each character. That's not hundreds of levels, that's thousands. And there are no rewards other then "this character" being able to match the build of "this other" character.Um, it's exactly 25 PoF or HoT hero challenges for each elite. Leveling to 80 gets all the base specializations. So It's 25 "events" per toon. And you get rewards for each of those challenges (unless it's a channeling one, in which case: time saved).

What additional rewards do you think the game should offer for doing 25 extra events? Or what work-around do you propose? Keep in mind that PvP & WvW already makes it easy to gain those same 250 hero points (and drops plenty of tomes of knowledge that allow us to insta-80).

The current character slot max I believe is 69. That is a potentially massive time sink that is ultimately not progressing the player in any way. They could play the game differently, on one character, and be far far ahead.As noted above, I think you've exaggerated the time it takes. It's maybe a couple of hours per character, even if one doesn't go about it efficiently.

I have a bunch of characters and would just like to see myself play them all more.

It seems to me that there's a balance between cutting out all character progression (after the first one in each prof) and making us repeat ourselves. I don't think you've demonstrated that it's that big a burden in this game.

(To be fair, at one time, it was a huge issue, as every single character needed to repeat identical events to gain individual traits. It wasn't even different for necros vs warriors. During that time, I simply stopped leveling at all or adding new characters; I just couldn't bear repeating events I had already done dozens of times before that system was put into place. However, that system was dismantled when specializations were added. It's even easier now than it was during the game's first years.)

Please leave the systems as they are. I do like that mastery systems are account bound, however that is so the new characters I make to replay old content can utilize the new and interesting ways of exploring available via mounts and gliding. It puts a fresh splash of paint on an old wall.

I too did not understand what was originally meant and reading the second post didn't clarify much either. It kind of sounds like there is a desire for pve to be like pvp? Where you go in with whites and everything is automatically unlocked for you down to sigils and runes (okay, I know you gotta spend a lil gold to get a few but still.) That system works great for pvp. It doesn't have a place in pve though. In pvp your aim is clear - to beat the other team and win! Pve is about progression as you define it whether it be fashion wars, completion goals, epeen, raiding and what have you. Whether it takes a great deal of time or not (it doesn't if you are having fun) there is something to be accomplished which can not be obtained without some investment.

It wouldn't be fun for pvp players to complete pve aspects JUST to go pvp. Likewise, it isn't fun to strip away the aspects of pve just so it is more like pvp.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Nova.7261 said:I think people misunderstood.Or perhaps you weren't very specific about what you did mean in your original post.

What I don't agree with is retraining specialization levels for each character. That's not hundreds of levels, that's thousands. And there are no rewards other then "this character" being able to match the build of "this other" character.Um, it's exactly 25 PoF or HoT hero challenges for each elite. Leveling to 80 gets all the base specializations. So It's 25 "events" per toon. And you get rewards for each of those challenges (unless it's a channeling one, in which case: time saved).

What additional rewards do you think the game should offer for doing 25 extra events? Or what work-around do you propose? Keep in mind that PvP & WvW already makes it easy to gain those same 250 hero points (and drops plenty of tomes of knowledge that allow us to insta-80).

The current character slot max I believe is 69. That is a potentially massive time sink that is ultimately not progressing the player in any way. They could play the game differently, on one character, and be far far ahead.As noted above, I think you've exaggerated the time it takes. It's maybe a couple of hours per character, even if one doesn't go about it efficiently.

I have a bunch of characters and would just like to see myself play them all more.

It seems to me that there's a balance between cutting out all character progression (after the first one in each prof) and making us repeat ourselves. I don't think you've demonstrated that it's that big a burden in this game.

(To be fair, at one time, it was a huge issue, as every single character needed to repeat identical events to gain individual traits. It wasn't even different for necros vs warriors. During that time, I simply stopped leveling at all or adding new characters; I just couldn't bear repeating events I had already done dozens of times before that system was put into place. However, that system was dismantled when specializations were added. It's even easier now than it was during the game's first years.)

Consider having two chracters at level 80 of the same class. What is the advantage of getting enough hero points to match the specialization progress of the 2nd character to the first? Mind you its not 250 anymore, its 500 with PoF. And your saying a 50 hero challenges on each character will completely unlock them.

@Oglaf.1074 said:That is a bad idea:

• Character progression means repeatable rewards.

• Account progression means a one-time reward.

I'd rather see more things shifted over to the first option, rather than the other way around. Like Living Story Mastery: currently you can only earn these chapter-specific rewards once. If they were per character you could get a lot more free Ascended accessories and stuff.

I was gonna say something the same. Account bounding each character with story progression defeats the purpose of gw2 story motto. That each time you create a character the personal story would never be the same. It's also repeated with hot and POF and living world seasons. They give good exp and ok loot you might need. When you choose different class you also get different achievements and different armor to choose to complete some collections you haven't finished.

I have 39 characters for a reason. Well, several, actually, and enjoying their individual progress is among them. That doesn't mean I like repeating everything for all of them, but it's part of the fun for me.

Some things are best unlocked individually, some account-wide. We could disagree on the details, but I think overall the way things are set up now with the mastery system is well-considered and sensible.

Archived