Jump to content
  • Sign Up

[SUGGESTION] Transfer Remaining Mastery Points to Another Mastery Tree


Recommended Posts

I have 0 Central Tyria, 1 Heart of Thorns, 15 Path of Fire, and 2 Icebrood Saga mastery points.

I've maxed out POF masteries and have 15 points remain that's going to waste. Could you please add something to the game that gives us the ability to transfer available points to another mastery tree?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would defeat the point of having different mastery points.

The bigger issue would be:As is right now, there are a ton of spare mastery points for each area (close to 100 total). Yes, especially central Tyria can be more challenging to maximize, but even there you have some spare.

The huge amount of spare mastery points in HoT and PoF would make ANY new content irrelevant mastery point wise. Thus either affecting future content in a negative way (if you consider character/account progression via collecting of mastery points valuable) or requiring a massive reduction of mastery points across the board, which would likely leave you in a similar spot that you are now: with to few mastery points.

Transferal of mastery points thus in the end means removal of the entire system, which could be argued in favor of, sure.

The easier solution to this would be: read a guide on getting the required mastery points in the easiest possible way, there are guides for each mastery area, and start working towards that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That not what I'm asking for. I have maxed out the POF mastery tree and have 15 remaining that's not doing anything. I want to move them to other trees where I can put them to good use.

Your "easier" solution is anything but. Most masteries are locked behind events or metas that NO ONE is doing at the moment, or raids (which I don't engage in) or Mists (which I don't do). In other words, content I don't want to do, like to do, and cannot do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Korval.3751" said:That not what I'm asking for. I have maxed out the POF mastery tree and have 15 remaining that's not doing anything. I want to move them to other trees where I can put them to good use.

Your "easier" solution is anything but. Most masteries are locked behind events or metas that NO ONE is doing at the moment, or raids (which I don't engage in) or Mists (which I don't do). In other words, content I don't want to do, like to do, and cannot do.

Take a look at the wiki:

  • There are 82 Central Tyria mastery point Central Tyria points available. For the Hero achievements, a mastery point is only awarded the first time a player completes the personal story arc for that level.
  • There are 198 Heart of Thorns mastery point Heart of Thorns points available. This includes an extra hidden mastery point from Defeat Mayatl the Fierce that gets awarded inconsistently (there is no associated achievement).
  • There are 130 Path of Fire mastery point Path of Fire points available
  • There are 39 Icebrood Saga mastery point Icebrood Saga points available.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

The total amount of mastery points needed to finish ALL masteries for each area:

This leaves you with:

  • 33 spare core Tyria points
  • 54 spare HoT mastery points
  • 28 spare PoF points
  • 6 spare IbS points

No, not all of those are in any way locked behind group content. Sorry, but there are more than enough spare points for any player to get. With the Ice Brood Saga, being the current Living World content being the hardest to get, that's a total of 121 spare points in all.

So again: removing the mastery points from their areas, which your conversion idea basically does, would make an entire expansion worth of mastery points obsolete. Use guides if you can't figure out where to get points easy or in ways which favor your playstyle.

EDIT:As to the raid argument. The raid masteries are self contained. They require 8 points and provide 13. That's a non issue when facing a total of 54 spare HoT points.

EDIT 2:The same goes for the fractal masteries. Fractal attunement requires 11 points total, while fractals provide 15. If you are not engaged in fractals, you have neither the need for those masteries, nor the points. Even bettern, since many of these are very easy to get in fractal tier 1, you can get them and use them on other things, or skip them entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the Mastery Point system but wish their spread would be a bit more balanced. Core Tyria points, and now Icebrood Saga points are the hardest to get, also because some some mastery points are locked behind massive gold sinks. If you want Core Tyria Mastery, you will simply have to get involved with the Triple Wurm, Fractals, chasing those elusive Silverwaste Leggies and possibly even LW masteries. Fine, but then HoT and PoF came and they have an abundance?

Ice Brood Saga are simply too few in my opinion, giving you less options.

I disagree with the novelty fact that they now have put three Mastery Points into one achievement where you have to do the latest Strike Mission 50! times. I hope this is not going to be the way forward, because I dislike Strike Missions with a vengeance. Seems a bit lazy design , they could have easily put a few Points behind other Achievements, for instance having finished all 40 of the Special Missions. This will take some time, but in the end everybody will get them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tyncale.1629 said:I like the Mastery Point system but wish their spread would be a bit more balanced. Core Tyria points, and now Icebrood Saga points are the hardest to get, also because some some mastery points are locked behind massive gold sinks. If you want Core Tyria Mastery, you will simply have to get involved with the Triple Wurm, Fractals, Silverwaste Leggies and possibly even LW masteries. Fine, but then HoT and PoF came and they have an abundance?

No, it's the other way around. Core Tyria didn't have masteries, but got them when HoT was released. The developers even added 9 additional mastery points to core Tyria retroactively later as simple channel unlocks (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6pm6w8/all_9_central_tyria_mastery_insight_locations/).

The issue here was, they had to add mastery points to a part of the game which was never designed with having any, plus a players base which was 2-3 years old. So the core ones are not as abundant or tied to in some parts challenging things.

@Tyncale.1629 said:Ice Brood Saga are simply too few in my opinion, giving you less options.

That has always been the case with new releases. I believe it's intentional to not make the mastery system irrelevant with 1-2 content patches. This way players have something to work towards and look forward to.

As the content for the season increases, so do the spare points. Before this episode, there was a total of 5 spare points. This has now increased to 6. As more episodes unlock, the spare points available in those will accumulate to a higher total of spare points. It's just that the season is in the process of releasing.

So on the upside, with time, unlocking the masteries fully will become easier for Season 5. Meanwhile giving players enough time to work on getting the currently available points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy solution to make the extra mastery points still useful somehow would be to just add a mastery line for each category that gives extra magic find for each point invested. You'd need to have completed all the other masteries from that category before being able to put your "extra" mastery points in that line so you can't mess things up by spending everything in the "magic find mastery" right away.

It wouldn't be that impactful, but would still feel like you'd get something for the extra MP's you obtain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Tyncale.1629" said:Ice Brood Saga are simply too few in my opinion, giving you less options.

That has always been the case with new releases. I believe it's intentional to not make the mastery system irrelevant with 1-2 content patches. This way players have something to work towards and look forward to.

As the content for the season increases, so do the spare points. Before this episode, there was a total of 5 spare points. This has now increased to 6. As more episodes unlock, the spare points available in those will accumulate to a higher total of spare points. It's just that the season is in the process of releasing.

So on the upside, with time, unlocking the masteries fully will become easier for Season 5. Meanwhile giving players enough time to work on getting the currently available points.

Compared to the first Icebrood Episodes, the last one is very stingy with Mastery Points. I had no problem maxing the Masteries with the first two Episodes, but right now I am looking at a deficit of 9 Mastery Points after finishing that Waypoint Mastery. Then, after playing pretty hard for the last days(for a filthy casual, I guess), I earned the Glory to the Ash Legion Mastery Point, still 8 to go. Strike Mission a bust so far, the other points are not speedily obtained either.

I agree with you that they have to throttle this to a point, but they seem to have taken this up a step with this episode. I will admit that I did not have any spare points left from the first episodes, which are still only 5 as you say. Some of those are not easily obtained either. There is just too little "give" in my opinion in the allotment of Points, especially when you compare with HoT and PoF.

The first 6 points in PoF for instance are a bit of a challenge for a newbie who does not google stuff, but as soon as you get your first Raptor Mastery, the Points come pouring in for the rest of the xpack. Same for HoT where XP-gain and Mastery Point gain have a good balanced flow.

Not saying they can not go another way with this with the Icebrood Saga, I guess it will keep people bound for longer to these zones, which is good. But I do see a difference with this last episode. Hiding two extra points (of the few that go around) behind doing 50 Strike Mission is just plain bad imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alternatively, going through and making some of the harder-to-obtain mastery points a little easier to get would be nice. HoT and PoF mastery points are honestly plentiful enough that I don't think anything needs to be changed with them (hell, I got enough PoF mastery points without even actively trying, just from naturally playing through the game), but for Central Tyria, doing things like making the Silverwastes legendaries spawn a little more frequently (what if you made it so they were a guaranteed spawn once the relevant fort hit max defensive level?), and taking the LW S2 masteries off of the capstone achievements, and just put them on one of the regular achievements for the episode (ideally not the ones that functionally require a group to complete), would do a lot to make the process more manageable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Randin.5701" said:Alternatively, going through and making some of the harder-to-obtain mastery points a little easier to get would be nice. HoT and PoF mastery points are honestly plentiful enough that I don't think anything needs to be changed with them (hell, I got enough PoF mastery points without even actively trying, just from naturally playing through the game), but for Central Tyria, doing things like making the Silverwastes legendaries spawn a little more frequently (what if you made it so they were a guaranteed spawn once the relevant fort hit max defensive level?), and taking the LW S2 masteries off of the capstone achievements, and just put them on one of the regular achievements for the episode (ideally not the ones that functionally require a group to complete), would do a lot to make the process more manageable.

I would be okay with this. That is what I meant in my original post by cannot do. Cyninja.2954 kept referring to a guide. A guide is useless with a mastery that is gated behind an event that is impossible to solo.

I still prefer a way to transfer mastery points to other trees. Anet could make the system "reasonably costly" so that it serves as a gold sink but also a way to keep people from abusing the feature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, some of the masteries can be taxing. I know core Tyria can be challenging, especially on new accounts and when having to do so many other things. Masteries where never intended to be done over 1 weekend, and most of us never did. It's just that the cumulative effort required to maximize ALL masteries at once is very high. The best approach is to do them in time frames other players have, over days/weeks/months. It took me a large part of the bio-luminescent collection until I had the legendarys in the Silver Wastes map myself.

Here is one of the guides I was referring to for central Tyria:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4ig3op/easiest_core_tyria_mastery_points_all_49_required/

Yes, 8 of those are from fractals, but some are as simplistic as: dance in a specific spot, kill all enemies in Solid Ocean (takes maybe 5-10 minutes), light all the fire in snowblind (these are now the fires around the elemental), bow to the giant at the end of Cliffside.

I get some players dislike instanced content. But those 8 are insanely easy and could even be soloed by slightly more experienced players in T1 fractals, or easily duo-ed. Remember, these are also not needed IF you are not interested in fractals, but even than they will make finishing the other 2 core Tyria masteries a lot easier.

Ice Brood Saga indeed is rather stingy with mastery points. I think this will get easier towards the end in case the developers add achievements retroactively, as they did with the previous episode. I'm quite sure the season will see us end with 20-30 spare mastery points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that you don't have to get every single mastery point in case you really dislike some of the achievements, but it would be nice if there was something to do with the spares.

I don't really like the idea of transferring them though. You should need mastery points that come from the relevant content. And eventually you'll just end up with different spares.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@Tyncale.1629 said:Ice Brood Saga are simply too few in my opinion, giving you less options.

That has always been the case with new releases. I believe it's intentional to not make the mastery system irrelevant with 1-2 content patches. This way players have something to work towards and look forward to.

As the content for the season increases, so do the spare points. Before this episode, there was a total of 5 spare points. This has now increased to 6. As more episodes unlock, the spare points available in those will accumulate to a higher total of spare points. It's just that the season is in the process of releasing.

So on the upside, with time, unlocking the masteries fully will become easier for Season 5. Meanwhile giving players enough time to work on getting the currently available points.

Compared to the first Icebrood Episodes, the last one is very stingy with Mastery Points. I had no problem maxing the Masteries with the first two Episodes, but right now I am looking at a deficit of 9 Mastery Points after finishing that Waypoint Mastery. Then, after playing pretty hard for the last days(for a filthy casual, I guess), I earned the Glory to the Ash Legion Mastery Point, still 8 to go. Strike Mission a bust so far, the other points are not speedily obtained either.

I agree with you that they have to throttle this to a point, but they seem to have taken this up a step with this episode. I will admit that I did not have any spare points left from the first episodes, which are still only 5 as you say. Some of those are not easily obtained either. There is just too little "give" in my opinion in the allotment of Points, especially when you compare with HoT and PoF.

The first 6 points in PoF for instance are a bit of a challenge for a newbie who does not google stuff, but as soon as you get your first Raptor Mastery, the Points come pouring in for the rest of the xpack. Same for HoT where XP-gain and Mastery Point gain have a good balanced flow.

Not saying they can not go another way with this with the Icebrood Saga, I guess it will keep people bound for longer to these zones, which is good. But I do see a difference with this last episode. Hiding two extra points (of the few that go around) behind doing 50 Strike Mission is just plain bad imo.

It's only 10 times (for Cold War) for the 2 Mastery Points. And only 1 time for the first Mastery Point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So you're missing Core Tyria masteries.

Pact Commander is a game changer and the only mastery I have to say its practically mandatory. idk why autolooting isn't enabled from the start lolLegendary Crafting is optional, although most casual players likes to craft legendaries for some reason, understandable if you want/need this mastery tree. And if you're able to affort and craft a legendary it means you're probably way ahead and have enough mastery points for this and pact commander.Fractal Attunement is completely exclusive to fractals, in case you're a begginer for fractals you only really need the 3rd tier to get more rewards per fractals and it only takes 6 mastery points to reach and get. The last mastery is mostly important if you want to play fractals on the long run. All MPs can be gotten on T1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they are going to allow that just make them work the same was a Hero Points. Get any point from anywhere. Spend it on anything.

@Tyncale.1629 said:I like the Mastery Point system but wish their spread would be a bit more balanced. Core Tyria points, and now Icebrood Saga points are the hardest to get, also because some some mastery points are locked behind massive gold sinks. If you want Core Tyria Mastery, you will simply have to get involved with the Triple Wurm, Fractals, chasing those elusive Silverwaste Leggies and possibly even LW masteries. Fine, but then HoT and PoF came and they have an abundance?

Those claims are not reflected in the numbers for core...

core 67% / 34% without LS2hot 37%pof 27%ibs 18%

Those are the amount of extra points available.

IBS is a bit iffy since it's not complete so we don't know how many extra points it will eventually provide in future episodes.

Ice Brood Saga are simply too few in my opinion, giving you less options.

It also has a lot of useless masteries though.

I disagree with the novelty fact that they now have put three Mastery Points into one achievement where you have to do the latest Strike Mission 50! times.

The achievement provides 2 points. One at tier 1 and one at tier 3. Tier 1 is one run. Tier 3 is 10 runs and not 50.

I hope this is not going to be the way forward, because I dislike Strike Missions with a vengeance. Seems a bit lazy design , they could have easily put a few Points behind other Achievements, for instance having finished all 40 of the Special Missions. This will take some time, but in the end everybody will get them.

The strike isn't even necessary to fully max the current IBS masteries. Nor are the weapon collections required(and these do not require the full collection either, just 4 or 5 of the weapons)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Khisanth.2948 said:If they are going to allow that just make them work the same was a Hero Points. Get any point from anywhere. Spend it on anything.

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I like the Mastery Point system but wish their spread would be a bit more balanced. Core Tyria points, and now Icebrood Saga points are the hardest to get, also because some some mastery points are locked behind massive gold sinks. If you want Core Tyria Mastery, you will simply have to get involved with the Triple Wurm, Fractals, chasing those elusive Silverwaste Leggies and possibly even LW masteries. Fine, but then HoT and PoF came and they have an abundance?

Those claims are not reflected in the numbers for core...

core 67% / 34% without LS2hot 37%pof 27%ibs 18%

Those are the amount of extra points available.

IBS is a bit iffy since it's not complete so we don't know how many extra points it will eventually provide in future episodes.

Ice Brood Saga are simply too few in my opinion, giving you less options.

It also has a lot of useless masteries though.

I disagree with the novelty fact that they now have put three Mastery Points into one achievement where you have to do the latest Strike Mission 50! times.

The achievement provides 2 points. One at tier 1 and one at tier 3. Tier 1 is one run. Tier 3 is 10 runs and not 50.

I hope this is not going to be the way forward, because I dislike Strike Missions with a vengeance. Seems a bit lazy design , they could have easily put a few Points behind other Achievements, for instance having finished all 40 of the Special Missions. This will take some time, but in the end everybody will get them.

The strike isn't even necessary to fully max the current IBS masteries. Nor are the weapon collections required(and these do not require the full collection either, just 4 or 5 of the weapons)

I should not have used the word "spread" but I do mention the fact that Core Mastery points are harder to get imo. So they may have the biggest surplus of Mastery points but lot of them are hidden behind fractals, difficult achievements, Bosses like Triple Wurm, and RNG Bosses like the Silverwastes Legendaries that can take forever to get. Or extreme collections.

I have all Masteries and now indeed have like 15 Core Tyria Mastery points extra, but I have been playing pretty hard to get that many. There are still quit a few fractal points that I do not have though since I do not like Fractals (I am not alone in this). HoT and PoF Mastery points are very easy to get, even though they may have a smaller surplus in total. Only at the very start of PoF it is a bit harder, but once you get Raptor jumping and the Springer, they just come rolling in. In HoT there are so many points that you can get with a fresh level 80 in all 4 maps, and so many points are earned by just doing regular story.

The Strike mission is not necessary, and it is true that the three points are for the first 10 kills, so I admit that I was too negative about that. Same for the Points in the weapon collections, they come early. I now have all Mastery points (No strike mission yet!) but none to spare. It is definitely doable, and maybe this is the way to go forward to challenge people a bit more to get all points; after HoT, PoF and the other LW stories it just seems like they are going another way with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:One says Core Mastery Points are difficult, and Heart of Thorns are easy.I find it to be the opposite. I have extra Core MPs and lack about 10 or 12 Heart of Thorns MPs. I don't do much Fractals (been in a Fractal 11 times in my life, and that was years ago); there are 11 MPs still available there, for me.

I don't play fractals at all but still wanted all Core masteries for completeness sake. What a nightmare that was! It was much, MUCH harder than unlocking Skyscale, for instance.

Amongst the unspeakable things I had to do were:

  • World Completion (all those hearts, ugh!)
  • All Tequatl achievements (Tail Flail, anyone?)
  • All Triple Trouble achievements (these were actually easy and quite fun, since there were guilds on EU doing guided events on every weekday)
  • Conservation of Magic (doable only when the maps had the daily and even then we sometimes failed)
  • LA Karka hunt (still get flashbacks from that, and not the good kind...)
  • Retrospective Runaround and Go for the Gold (insane Silverwastes scavenger hunt, double ugh!)
  • All 4 Silverwastes legendaries (not as bad as I thought though)
  • Dive Master ("Not So Secret" JP, triple ugh!)

Compared to that, getting all HoT masteries unlocked was no problem at all. Just do the adventures, there are a few where even getting gold is trivial (Salvage Pit or On Wings of Gold come to mind). Or you can do some LW3 achievements in the Story Journal category, there are a lot of them that give mastery points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...