Revenant is the least played profession. Heres how to buff them

aaron.7850

I'm impressed.Now you go and play hammer Rev for the month of June and get back to us here. If you go so far as to post your own vids of hammer Rev play in WvW, in a substantial way, I will finally shut the kitten up about it and admit I am a salty boy crying cause their class got nerfed.

I can't personally do that myself, i've never got the hang of recording videos and i have deleted arcdps due to crashing in wvw, I am sure there are rev players who do record or stream in wvw

All i'm saying is Hammer rev is fine, doesn't need nerfs, doesn't need buffs

I watched a kek rev and he seemed to have a lot of revs in squad so I will have to accept what you are saying regardless if I don't like it. Facts are facts I suppose.

But why wouldnt you like the fact that alot of players do play rev? isnt that the whole premis of this thread?

Because it defeats their stance that "Rev sucks in WvW because Hammer sucks"

Also, the premis of this thread is flawed "Revenant is the least played profession, here's how to buff them" implies that the only reason for Rev's low play rate is because they're UP.

If not, then it's not a particularly smart move to make something OP just to get people playing it.

In reality, the 2 least popular classes are not popular because they're simply not as fun to play - Not because they're UP (Rev sees a lot of play in PvP and PvE and apparently isn't absent in WvW (Meanwhile you look on Vabbi for Thief or Ranger WvW builds and you get an error message :p ) and Engie also sees some play in PvP, PvE and is very popular in WvW) but because their kits are clunky, utilities are boring and weapons limited (That said, Ele also has few weapons, though it at least has some variety in weapon skills. Condi builds use Fire and Earth, Power builds use Air and Fire... Water... Exists)

Meanwhile the top 2 most popular classes, Guardian and Warrior, are the opposite. Both have a number of weapon options, both have pretty smooth class mechanics (Berserker is a little iffy but Core and Spellbreaker are fine), both have nice utilities that are fun to use.

This is further evidenced by the fact that there are MORE Revs than there are Engies, but Rev has the lower playtime. Which is suggestive that people made Revs, played it, but didn't like it (Also, that some sub-section of the Engie rollers are die hard Engie mains)

I'm impressed.Now you go and play hammer Rev for the month of June and get back to us here. If you go so far as to post your own vids of hammer Rev play in WvW, in a substantial way, I will finally shut the kitten up about it and admit I am a salty boy crying cause their class got nerfed.

I can't personally do that myself, i've never got the hang of recording videos and i have deleted arcdps due to crashing in wvw, I am sure there are rev players who do record or stream in wvw

All i'm saying is Hammer rev is fine, doesn't need nerfs, doesn't need buffs

I watched a kek rev and he seemed to have a lot of revs in squad so I will have to accept what you are saying regardless if I don't like it. Facts are facts I suppose.

But why wouldnt you like the fact that alot of players do play rev? isnt that the whole premis of this thread?

Kind of falls into the same bin as scourge/necro staff. They really do play like garbage but so many people play them that anet wont even update them into more than a "paint simulator" as someone else had put it.

Since apparently people are satisfied with cor/phase smash sticks as a rev in wvw large scale, all the janked up stuff they did to cor will never get cleaned up.

The same logic is in place today in wvw where after all these patches over the past year that trashed the combat and drove a metric fuck ton of players away, hurdur people still playing so the updates must be good !

@"Mini Crinny.6190" said:https://imgur.com/wyIDNSV

@"Justine.6351"

This was just now

12 revs

1) All your screengrab shows is the number of Heralds in the party. It doesn't tell us if they are Power or Condi, using Hammer or not. A Condi Herald running Glint/Mallyx using Mace/Axe + Staff is a common sight in zergs these days.

2) Let's make it simple though, and say all those Revs were Power Heralds...it still doesn't tell me they are using Hammer. They could very well be running Sw/Sw + Staff or even Axe/Mace + Staff. This is a melee push meta.

3) Let's make it every simpler though, say all those Revs were Power Heralds AND they had Hammer equipped. Nothing there to show me where their damage is coming from. Is it from Hammer? Or is it from their offset weapons, Sw/Sw, Axe/Mace, or even Staff? In all likelihood their #1 source for damage is Inspiring Reinforcement.

Why list these points? Because before the last patch, Hammer Revs were meta in zergs, and capable in roaming (though sw/sw Rev was better for roaming obv). They were always Power, and their #1 source of damage was always Hammer. They could run Glint/Shiro if they were more aggressive, or Glint/Jalis for additional support.

Today, you cannot 1v1 with Hammer. A Hammer Rev is always running Glint/Jalis, and spends most of their time in Jalis....because Inspiring Reinforcement is their top source for DPS, and with the CC spam we have today and FB nerfs, Revs are seen as secondary stability-bots. Hammer is only of use when your group coordinates phase smashes, which requires targeting and pulls/CC, the above mentioned "Rev bomb"..which suggests a Revenant's main DPS contribution to the squad is a single attack every 12 seconds? Coordinated Phase Smashes were always a thing, but back before the patch, Hammer Revs had at least CoR with which to do damage...now they are relegated to spamming their auto-attack which in most cases just gets reflected back.

So, please tell me, someone who has played Rev for quite a while in WvW, both before the patch and after, that Hammer for Rev is fine, and needs neither buffs nor nerfs? That a DPS build that brought some boons has been reduced to a boon build that now brings some DPS is a positive thing in your opinion?

I have no issues with Rev getting nerfs like everyone else back in the patch, but ANET went too far in the wrong direction - rather than just addressing damage coefficients, they played around with cooldowns and mechanics.

Before they shut it down, Vabbi's website listed a Hammer Herald build that replaced Staff with Mace/Axe, because the 'changes' ANET made to Surge of the Mist were that horrible. A build that was known for stacking might and fury to 10 players by channelling Glint is instead now sought to fill gaps in stability by channelling Jalis so players aren't constantly ping ponged.

But so long as we have people like you telling ex-Herald mains that everything is ok, I guess it must be, right?

I think we all agree that most classes that got hammer have hammer in a bad state. anet should just change skills of some of the lesser played weapons. so depending on how they are doing minor buffs or nerfs. been ages since I have seen a hammer guard or warrior. I don't think a class should be buffed depending on how many are playing it. I mean for starcraft 2 for example you got 3 different type of play. most are zergs, some are protoss and the smallest amount is terrans. but a very good terran player can still win even if it is just a smaller amount of players. skill cap for terrans is higher tho compared to zerg. pretty much between protoss and zerg.

@pninak.1069 said:I think we all agree that most classes that got hammer have hammer in a bad state. anet should just change skills of some of the lesser played weapons. so depending on how they are doing minor buffs or nerfs.

It would be nice, but likely won't happen. Given that it hasn't happened for years and these days they seem content to just keep churning out E-Spec weapons instead.

There's also the issue of some people actually do like their crappy underpowered weapons like Necro Dagger or Necro Staff or Necro Warhorn or Necro everything...

Heck, they still haven't even done anything about how terrible DH's Longbow is... Let alone the multitude of core weapons that suck such as:

Warrior - Hammer, Rifle, Offhand SwordRanger - Shortbow, Sword, Offhand DaggerNecro - All weapons. But especially Dagger(s) and Staff.Guardian - Staff, MaceThief - SwordEngie - Mainhand Pistol (Also, Flamethrower and Tool Kit as kits are replacements for having actual weapons)Mesmer - Scepter, Staff, Greatsword, Pistol (It gets used, but is pretty much just for the stun on skill 5 and bit of Condi damage when traited)Rev - Hammer (Also Shield as another E-Spec weapon that isn't particularly great)

So many weapons that are just below average in performance, some worse than others. Yet in the numerous years they've existed, nothing substantial.

I think war rifle, ranger shortbow and mesmer gs and propably staff is doing o.k. for weapons like scepter for mes you are pretty much forced to take malicous sorcery, which gives a 25% attack increase with scepter and thus a faster clone spawnrate

@pninak.1069 said:I think we all agree that most classes that got hammer have hammer in a bad state. anet should just change skills of some of the lesser played weapons. so depending on how they are doing minor buffs or nerfs. been ages since I have seen a hammer guard or warrior. I don't think a class should be buffed depending on how many are playing it.

Hammer Guard is present in the current 3v3 mini-season. According to some on these forums, that makes it good apparently .

@Taril.8619 said:Rev - Hammer (Also Shield as another E-Spec weapon that isn't particularly great)

Condi Rev in 3v3 is Axe/Mace + Sword/Shield right now. Didn't you know it was good????

It's why these forums are best used for entertainment, not information.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Taril.8619 said:Rev - Hammer (Also Shield as another E-Spec weapon that isn't particularly great)

Condi Rev in 3v3 is Axe/Mace + Sword/Shield right now. Didn't you know it was good????

It's usable, but it isn't particularly great.

It's even more usable when you realize that Rev doesn't have any other worthwhile off-hands to use. Power has Sword, Condi has Axe and then... ???

So of course it's being used alongside Mace/Axe by Condi Rev because they don't get much use out of Sword OH and Envoy of Exuberance is decent at least.

Also, given that the usually secondary weaponset for Rev is Staff is kind of mediocre for Condi builds, of course that gets passed over in favour of Sword/Shield which can at least apply Chill and Torment with Sword 2 and then do something somewhat useful with Shield.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

@"Justine.6351"

This was just now

12 revs

1) All your screengrab shows is the number of Heralds in the party. It doesn't tell us if they are Power or Condi, using Hammer or not. A Condi Herald running Glint/Mallyx using Mace/Axe + Staff is a common sight in zergs these days.

2) Let's make it simple though, and say all those Revs were Power Heralds...it still doesn't tell me they are using Hammer. They could very well be running Sw/Sw + Staff or even Axe/Mace + Staff. This is a melee push meta.

3) Let's make it every simpler though, say all those Revs were Power Heralds AND they had Hammer equipped. Nothing there to show me where their damage is coming from. Is it from Hammer? Or is it from their offset weapons, Sw/Sw, Axe/Mace, or even Staff? In all likelihood their #1 source for damage is Inspiring Reinforcement.

Why list these points? Because before the last patch, Hammer Revs were meta in zergs, and capable in roaming (though sw/sw Rev was better for roaming obv). They were always Power, and their #1 source of damage was always Hammer. They could run Glint/Shiro if they were more aggressive, or Glint/Jalis for additional support.

Today, you cannot 1v1 with Hammer. A Hammer Rev is always running Glint/Jalis, and spends most of their time in Jalis....because Inspiring Reinforcement is their top source for DPS, and with the CC spam we have today and FB nerfs, Revs are seen as secondary stability-bots. Hammer is only of use when your group coordinates phase smashes, which requires targeting and pulls/CC, the above mentioned "Rev bomb"..which suggests a Revenant's main DPS contribution to the squad is a single attack every 12 seconds? Coordinated Phase Smashes were always a thing, but back before the patch, Hammer Revs had at least CoR with which to do damage...now they are relegated to spamming their auto-attack which in most cases just gets reflected back.

So, please tell me, someone who has played Rev for quite a while in WvW, both before the patch and after, that Hammer for Rev is fine, and needs neither buffs nor nerfs? That a DPS build that brought some boons has been reduced to a boon build that now brings some DPS is a positive thing in your opinion?

I have no issues with Rev getting nerfs like everyone else back in the patch, but ANET went too far in the wrong direction - rather than just addressing damage coefficients, they played around with cooldowns and mechanics.

Before they shut it down, Vabbi's website listed a Hammer Herald build that replaced Staff with Mace/Axe, because the 'changes' ANET made to Surge of the Mist were that horrible. A build that was known for stacking might and fury to 10 players by channelling Glint is instead now sought to fill gaps in stability by channelling Jalis so players aren't constantly ping ponged.

But so long as we have people like you telling ex-Herald mains that everything is ok, I guess it must be, right?

wow you actually wasted time of your life typing all that when infact the point of the photo was never about using hammer or not but rather about having revs at all.

I raised the rev bomb topic to make the point that revs are in fact used for something substantial in wvw

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

wow you actually wasted time of your life typing all that when infact the point of the photo was never about using hammer or not but rather about having revs at all.

I raised the rev bomb topic to make the point that revs are in fact used for something substantial in wvw

If you actually read the other posts, other than your own, you would see that is exactly what was being discussed and what I replied to. Sorry if you feel that not enough attention was being paid to you, but /shrug

@XECOR.2814 said:

@XECOR.2814 said:Hammer is god mode weapon in wvw.

god mode at what? popping marks and traps?

You have literally 0 idea what people play in wvw and what skills do what in wvw. It shows in your replies. And i am not here to educate you too. Try playing wvw for like 2 days in a squad and then come delete your comments.

I do at nights. It's probably a different experience for me.

The reason Rev and Engi aren't played much is because they have alot of skill depth and that makes it very hard for newbies to pick them up or not be overwhelmed entirely.

Guess what's the majority playerbase : Casual players. (I don't mean this as a bad way, but it is simply a fact)Rev can literally be the most OP Profession in the game and the majority of players won't play it because they are simply not looking for a difficult Profession.

What yu are suggesting is to introduce more aspects which might make Rev more casual to play.

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:Rev is in a pretty good spot to be honest, Hammer Herald is strong in WvW, Renegade is strong in Pv, you just have to look at PvP forums to know that Condi Rev is doing pretty well in PvP.

• Shiro berzerker+assassin stats in pve with double swordsE(can solo most of the new maps easilly get some shiro and reapers and they could even solo metas easilly)... Its a pve beast where every weapon skills can hit over 10k sometimes 20k'sih, with 3-5k autos...(shiro dont work on wvw if one tries to play with it).

• Ventari/herald with sword/shield + staff, is decent to have as well, it is mostly a plus oner in terms of offensiveness, has very good heals, works great in small and large scale, doesnt need ministrell stats so it will be focused on power and healinpower, its the combination with best team regen and stronger heals on shorter CD in game(convince me other wise...if u can), on wvw its always a decent class to have to support your FB and scrappers...

• Jalis berzerker assassin hammer/staff, is a decent protector with its damage reducing and strong auto atacks, CoR it feel weird now but its ok'ish.... its elite even works on structures :) very few people know this...sadly (the CC skills need some damage back or similiar condition to gw1,m if target blocks its KD and damage wont happen)

• Herald deamon with mace shield/mace axe, its a good counter to burnguard by helping allies to throw back enemy burn stacks, it has aoe resistance, some minor boon corruption, decent elite wich with the certain runes and a jalis traitline trait will give the players condi output and self heal/sustain.

-Renegades, well.. alacrity bots what else?: :bleep_bloop:

I would say Rev is the ultimate versatility class in this game... rather than be tied to one meta to play it...imo that counts as best class atm.

@"Yasai.3549" said:The reason Rev and Engi aren't played much is because they have alot of skill depth and that makes it very hard for newbies to pick them up or not be overwhelmed entirely.

If that was true, then Elementalist wouldn't be one of the higher played classes. Given that many people comment on the "Piano" gameplay the class revolves around for its weapon skills.

Though, I guess you could argue that since the introduction of Tempest, there's an option for less APM heavy builds... But then again, one can also play Herald and just sit in Glint 24/7 spamming Utilities and weapon skills like any other class because of how that Legend completely bypasses the Energy mechanic...

@"Taril.8619" said:

If that was true, then Elementalist wouldn't be one of the higher played classes. Given that many people comment on the "Piano" gameplay the class revolves around for its weapon skills.

Though, I guess you could argue that since the introduction of Tempest, there's an option for less APM heavy builds... But then again, one can also play Herald and just sit in Glint 24/7 spamming Utilities and weapon skills like any other class because of how that Legend completely bypasses the Energy mechanic...

Piano =/= Difficult.

Elementalist is actually pretty easy to play and understand for entry level skill : I have 4 sets of 5 spells.That's literally it.

Here's what I think turns people away from Rev and Engi though : They can't exactly camp a single loadout.

If yu camp a single Legend as Rev, yur gonna run out of juice (I'm really not talking about Glint here because I don't expect newbies to even know Glint exists, but even if they do, high chance they gonna just play Glint as an Boon-bot and run out of Energy anyway because they just upkeep everything)

If yu camp Engi, suddenly yur class feels very limited between a single Weaponset in combat, 5 decently long cooldown skills, and a whole bunch of utilities which yu can mish-mash but not really find a combo for.

Engi gets better though, because once yu unlock Holo, the class gets dumbed down so much and doesn't lack in damage and utility while doing so.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Taril.8619" said:

Piano =/= Difficult.

Elementalist is actually pretty easy to play and understand for entry level skill : I have 4 sets of 5 spells.That's literally it.

Here's what I think turns people away from Rev and Engi though : They can't exactly camp a single loadout.

If yu camp a single Legend as Rev, yur gonna run out of juice (I'm really not talking about Glint here because I don't expect newbies to even know Glint exists, but even if they do, high chance they gonna just play Glint as an Boon-bot and run out of Energy anyway because they just upkeep everything)

If yu camp Engi, suddenly yur class feels very limited between a single Weaponset in combat, 5 decently long cooldown skills, and a whole bunch of utilities which yu can mish-mash but not really find a combo for.

Engi gets better though, because once yu unlock Holo, the class gets dumbed down so much and doesn't lack in damage and utility while doing so.

Ele can't really camp in a single attunement either. Tempest helps with it, but you're still incentivized to swap between at least 2 attunements. Weaver's entire thing is about swapping attunements (With added complexity of needing to double swap to change abilities 4 and 5)

Rev is mindnumbingly simple to play for PvE too, since you only use 2 utility skills which are your Upkeep ones and then you just play like a Necro pressing F1 every 10s. Then you spam F2/F3 on CD depending on if you're Alacrigade or DPS. It's only really PvP where Rev becomes more in depth because you need to manage your energy to stun break and use your offensive utility skills and weapon skills (Since you can't just rely on Upkeep + autos to kill people like in PvE)

Engie can camp kitless easily. Given that even min/maxing you use like 1-2 kits (Grenade kit/Bomb kit) and then only use 1-2 skills from that kit (Shrapnel Grenade/Poison Bomb and Firebomb and the auto attack Bomb) even more so if you do something like play Alch or Tools instead of Explosives which puts far less emphasis on running Grenade/Bomb kits because of not having that Explosion synergy (Tools build can get complicated though, spamming out Toolbelt skills while also managing your actual utilities where relevant and dealing with your weapon skills - Even more so as Holo where you then also have to keep in mind your Heat levels)

• 3 months later...

@"Yasai.3549" said:The reason Rev and Engi aren't played much is because they have alot of skill depth and that makes it very hard for newbies to pick them up or not be overwhelmed entirely.

Guess what's the majority playerbase : Casual players. (I don't mean this as a bad way, but it is simply a fact)Rev can literally be the most OP Profession in the game and the majority of players won't play it because they are simply not looking for a difficult Profession.

What yu are suggesting is to introduce more aspects which might make Rev more casual to play.

As a rev main, Im more so tired of people saying it needs to be more "Casual friendly" as I myself am pretty casual.. I dont do everything and I dont really feel like Im a hardcore player despite having played more of late. The class was streamlined so hard from what it was at HoT launch which I loved, as a casual player because the depth was not in the utilities but in the trainlines/weapons which is something reverse to the normal class. They changed it, and it hurt in a lot of ways and its been more and more streamlined.... pretty soon we will be where to play rev all you have to do is have half a brain and be able to push your auto-attacks. Meanwhile there are some super complex ele/guard/ranger/warrior builds out there which get played to hell and back? Like these builds are NOT something a casual player would look for, or look at but they get played. One that comes to mind was the old retaliation guard build, which im not sure even exists anymore. Or the Celestial Ele build which was not the easiest to pull off, or how about that tanky berserker build built on the idea of baiting cooldowns to open them up for the burst?

Berserker as a spec in warrior is not casual friendly in WvW, that spec is hard as hell to play effectively given how it works.. Spellbreaker is only wanted for WoD just like Hammer rev is normally wanted for the road. Its like being a banner-slave in WvW and thats just not fun gameplay. Condi rev is great, its fun to play but the issue is that they keep nerfing and changing mechanics of the class and not the power the abilities actually have. I wish we had our trait lines back, and that we didn't feel so pigeon-holed into a build or playstyle... Rev used to be rich in customization just in different ways and now its just... well its a Homage to MoBa's and how they handled their characters.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:Meanwhile there are some super complex ele/guard/ranger/warrior builds out there

Examples?None of the builds I've seen are complex at all, with just pressing buttons in order.And I'm pretty damn sure Retal guard is in fact one of the most casual builds ever.

Rev needs to manage resource, and Engi needs to flip through a few weaponsets (not counting braindead bunker builds)

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:Meanwhile there are some super complex ele/guard/ranger/warrior builds out there

Examples?None of the builds I've seen are complex at all, with just pressing buttons in order.And I'm pretty kitten sure Retal guard is in fact one of the most casual builds ever.

Rev needs to manage resource, and Engi needs to flip through a few weaponsets (not counting braindead bunker builds)

I mean guardian has always been the face-roll easy class, that can do everything better than most all the other classes. (There has never been a time where I didn't see guardians in all forms of play at end-game. WvW being dominated for a long time by Guardian as a whole.) Spellbreaker was pretty difficult compared to normal warrior when it came out, many didn't like it. Then its OP toys started to show and people gravitated over, Soul-beast was pretty complex when it came out and again was not well received by the players. Ele literally has weaver one of the most complex specs in game right now, and is one of the hardest classes to play with I feel revenant and engie sitting right next to it.

The real reason is that Rev is locked behind the expansion, some people refuse to buy them and thats fine but it means the class is a lost cause for them. They have no access to it. Ontop of that Revenant right now is not hard to play; Quite the opposite actually. Its REALLY easy to play but its hard to make it shine, because honestly its easy to bait and its easy to counter. Condi-rev is countered by range, and CC of which most classes have options to go to. Power Rev is a Kek fest, and is hot garbage to a hilarious degree I as a rev main can say almost 100% the energy management is NOT hard. Because You're not intended to use all your skills, you're intended to swap on cooldown and if your condi spam mallyx. If you're running power you exist for the road/hammer/alacrity in most scenarios. Anything else is a waste of time and space, and people wont and dont want it.

Nothing they do will give ventari true room in the game, but that is squarely on the tablet being clunky. People dont like it. So I'd argue that ventari rev is the hardest to play, while the rest have been dumbed down to basically be borrowed stuff from other classes. Condi Rev is just a better version of what condi-berserker was, focusing on one real condition and making that its gimmick. Power is basically spellbreaker/thief had a baby but it lost all of their tools.

• 2 weeks later...

definitely not underplayed, where you get that from?overall player base? there's plenty of inactive accounts specially from pre-HoT.you have to look in game yourselfplenty of rev everywhere, i kinda wish that isn't true as i don't want what i play get overpopulated, but meh..

and warrior is definitely not as played as it seems even tho it may show that warrior is most played, because easy key farm and everybody and their mom has a warrior as secondary, tho not many people mainly play warrior..for how boring and how not versatile it is in open world and etc.

• 2 weeks later...

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Revenants aren't underplayed because they're weak - they're underplayed because they're weirdly designed and were released well after launch.

Still going to stick with legend swapping as a terrible mechanic to build around. Maybe it would be good for a legend or 2, but they should have some other styles that you swap when you actually need the legend you are swapping too.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Revenants aren't underplayed because they're weak - they're underplayed because they're weirdly designed and were released well after launch.

Still going to stick with legend swapping as a terrible mechanic to build around. Maybe it would be good for a legend or 2, but they should have some other styles that you swap when you actually need the legend you are swapping too.

Yeah, I actually think they dropped the ball pretty hard on the original execution of the class. I would have had a non-legend mode that had a regular skill bar with 10-15 skills that could be changed around, then made the different legends utility skills that worked like engineers' weapon kits, but you'd have to drop out of a legend before changing to a different one. Non legend skills would not use energy and energy would regenerate faster when not channeling.