Bleed/poison uptime question

Hey guys, relatively new player here. Leveled a thief to 80 and mostly in it for the pvp. Have a pretty standard P/d build I do well with and rarely die but question about the weapon runes for my pvp build:

The ones that offer a 25% duration increase on bleeds or poisons, does this lower the dps by increasing the total uptime or keep the same dps over longer resulting in 25% more total damage if the condition goes the duration?

If the latter, this seems really powerful for a condi heavy build, no?

Also, what class should I use my insta level 80 consumable on to pvp with? I hear revenants are OP?

PvPIf your bleed has a base duration of 4 seconds and you pick a rune that increases the duration by 25% then your bleed gets a 5 second duration. That's one more tick and exactly 25% more damage ... over the duration (!).

Conditions can be cleansed and so a higher duration does not necessarily end up in more damage.

For that reason for the competitive modes it is usually better to increase the condi damage (the per tick damage) and not the duration. Exceptions are very short durations like you can find them e.g. on scourge which has a lot of skills that inflict a condition for 1 or 2 seconds. Since nobody cleanses that fast this is a case where increasing duration is preferable.

The sweetspot is somewhere around 5 seconds. If you only apply conditions that have a base duration of 5 seconds or more, I would always go for higher damage instead of higher duration.

I hear revenants are OP?No they are not. They do just require you to play a build with above average condi cleanses, which lots of people don't want to run as this decreases their direct damage defense. They forget that GW2 is rock paper scissors and you always have to make a choice.

@KrHome.1920 said:If your bleed has a base duration of 4 seconds and you pick a rune that increases the duration by 25% then your bleed gets a 5 second duration. That's one more tick and exactly 25% more damage ... over the duration (!).

Conditions can be cleansed and so a higher duration does not necessarily end up in more damage.

For that reason for the competitive modes it is usually better to increase the condi damage (the per tick damage) and not the duration. Exceptions are very short durations like you can find them e.g. on scourge which has a lot of skills that inflict a condition for 1 or 2 seconds. Since nobody cleanses that fast this is a case where increasing duration is preferable.

The sweetspot is somewhere around 5 seconds. If you only apply conditions that have a base duration of 5 seconds or more, I would always go for higher damage instead of higher duration.

This^ condis in this game can burst per tic damage that equals alot of power bursts and with how fast people shed them and how easy re-aplication of the condis are max the tic damage and don't worry about duration.

Hmm ok, good information. Followup question: when you condi cleanse is it per stack or per type? Like, say I have 10 bleeds, 10 poisons, and 5 torment stacks on someone and they use a 2 condi cleanse ability. What happens? In assuming it takes all the stacks off for two unique conditions? Otherwise just taking a few stacks off at a time doesn't seem very effective.

@"Zimripple.2358" said:Hmm ok, good information. Followup question: when you condi cleanse is it per stack or per type? Like, say I have 10 bleeds, 10 poisons, and 5 torment stacks on someone and they use a 2 condi cleanse ability. What happens? In assuming it takes all the stacks off for two unique conditions? Otherwise just taking a few stacks off at a time doesn't seem very effective.Condition cleanses are "last in, first out". That's why trashy cover conditions are important. E.g. you apply bleed and then vulnerability. If your target now cleanses one condition, it removes the vulnerability.

And yes a cleanse removes the entire stack of a unique condition.

Keep in mind, that there are some cleanses that cleanse only specific conditions.

The damage of condi builds is balanced accordingly. Burn guardian can deal a lot of condi damage in a very short amount of time since the build lacks cover conditions and that burn stack is easy to cleanse. Necromancers have tons of cover conditions, but deal very low condition damage. So you will never get rid of everything a condi necro throws at you but you have plenty of time to fight back.