[Bug?] Photon Blitz dealing less dmg in WvW and sPvP, then in PvE

Amadeus.5687

Something I have been noticing when doing WvW, is that Photon Blitz hit like a wet noodle.

So I just went in to do some more numbers, this time on the mopbs called Shadhavars. They are found in Desert Borderlands and in the new PoF zones.I swapped some stuff around to get 2.2k power, 57% crit chance and 199% crit dmg. roughly the same I get in sPvP with a zerker amulet and the right runes.

In WvW I can barely get to 3000 dmg on a full photon blitz on this mob, and the spread is from 2600 and up to 3300 at best, depening on how many crits I had.

In PvE I get it to 6000 dmg on the Photon blitz, where the spread began from 5700 and 6400 at best

In sPvP with the same trait ect and a zerker amulet I have 2236 power, 55% crit chance (used a rune to get more pre) and 936 212% crit dmg.On a heavy golems it hits from 3000 to 4000 depeding on crits. I do think that the Shadhavars mobs have less toughness then a heavy golem, but I have no idea how to know.

So it would seem like it deals less dmg both in sPvP and WvW. the other skills seems to do the same dmg. I'm not sure why it have to deal less dmg in these modes...It pretty much make it a useless skill to use. You deal about the same dmg with holo leap in there, which crits for about 3.5k on a heavy golem.would like to see someone thats better at testing numbers then me looking into it.

The other Photon skills seems to hit for about the same in all game modes. Did the same dmg numbers on the Shadhavars in WvW and open world PvE.

Not sure if this is a bug or for balance reason? But I honestly can't see why it's PvE numbers are to much, when you look at ranger rapid fire ect. which deals the same dmg in alle modes.

What are the rest of you guys experience?

Edit: In other thread @"cat.8975" just posted "Photon Blitz has a 5.12 coefficient in PvE and a 2.4 coefficient in WvW/PvP." Thanks for that :)

I don't recall reading anywhere that Anet wanted to split this skill? anyone knows something I have missed?

Shadhavars take 10% less physical damage than most mobs. They've either got some strange built-in 10% damage reduction or have approx a 21% multiplier to their toughness stat.

Either way, they have an effective armor value of 2885.54 (approximately). The sPvP heavy golem has 2597 armor.

Just tested on the Plated Behemoths in the DBL map, it's doing expected damage assuming 1015 WS and a 2.4 coefficient.

@cat.8975 said:Shadhavars take 10% less physical damage than most mobs. They've either got some strange built-in 10% damage reduction or have approx a 21% multiplier to their toughness stat.

Either way, they have an effective armor value of 2885.54 (approximately). The sPvP heavy golem has 2597 armor.

Just tested on the Plated Behemoths in the DBL map, it's doing expected damage assuming 1015 WS and a 2.4 coefficient.

Awesome, thanks for that!So Photon Blitz should deal the same damage in WvW and sPvP... Meaning it might be a intentional balance split they have done for that skill.So we are probably looking a odd balance decision that doesn't make a lot off sense and that I can't recall they said anywhere?

Previously it had a 2.8 power scaling (beta weekend), and I guess when they nerfed all the PF skills by 20% they decided to be a little gentler with this skill (only took a ~15% hit) while also splitting and increasing it for PvE. We'll probably see some more forge skill number tweaks with the upcoming balance patch.

@cat.8975 said:Previously it had a 2.8 power scaling (beta weekend), and I guess when they nerfed all the PF skills by 20% they decided to be a little gentler with this skill (only took a ~15% hit) while also splitting and increasing it for PvE. We'll probably see some more forge skill number tweaks with the upcoming balance patch.

Huh, that does seem rather odd, wonder why they did that. But yeah I hope to see a lot of forge skill number weaks!

Looking at photon blitz it's really not worth using a 1½ cast time multi hit skill, when you deal more dmg auto attacking with the ranged trait option.The skill got such a short range and it can be reflected and quite easy interrupted and it builds up a lot of heat. heck you might be better off just doing holo leaps then. Kinda shame, the skills feels like the only true heavy hitter on the set.I have asumed the rotation should be --> #2 leap in --> #3 to get vul up -->#5 to stun them --> burst dmg with #4.

@Chaba.5410 said:Why is Anet afraid of a high DPS engi spec in WvW?

I'm honestly not sure, like the best skill I can compare Photon Blitz to is the rangers rapid fire (Longbow #2). Baseline it looks like this (took the numbers from http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/):

Rapid fireDamage.png Damage (10x): 1,440 (3.75)?Vulnerability.png10 Vulnerability (10s): 10% Incoming Damage, 10% Incoming Condition DamageCombo.png Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20% chance)Range.png Range: 1,500

It have not been split in any game mode and both skills come with a 10 sec cool down.

compare that to Phonton Blitz

Damage.png Damage (8x): 704 (5.12, PvE) and (2,4 PvP/WvW)Heat.png Heat Gained: 2%Burning.png8 Burning (1s): 1048 DamageNumber of targets.png Number of Targets: 5Pierces.png PiercesRange.png Range: 600

Our skill comes with a shorter range, a lot of heat generation, it's 2%*8 shots fired. It does come with the burning, but it's a very short duration burn. I can't see why it needs suchs a nerf in WvW in anyway and I also think it's to huge a nerf in sPvP. I needs to do more dmg then just auto attacking, else there ain't much point in it. I know it's a ranged attack, but it go 600 range, the same as our (a bit bugged) leap.

@cat.8975 said:PvE Photon Blitz does 31.58% more damage than Rapid Fire.PvP/WvW Photon Blitz does 38.42% less damage than Rapid Fire.

anet pls

Cheers m8! And yeah that comes with the risk of 600 range and blowing up if we don't manage our heat. That ain't high risk, high reward, it's high risk low reward.Did a few hits on a Light golem in a low crit chance build with a valk rune to see what a non crit does... 304 dmg pr hit -.-'

@guildabd.6529 said:Compare wvw photon blitz tooltip to pve photon blizt tooltip.Pve shows 5000, wvw 2500.Definitely a bug.

Or, more likely, an intentional skill split. This is exactly why Arenanet tried to avoid splitting balance btw... too confusing for some people x)

@cat.8975 said:

@guildabd.6529 said:Compare wvw photon blitz tooltip to pve photon blizt tooltip.Pve shows 5000, wvw 2500.Definitely a bug.

Or, more likely, an intentional skill split. This is exactly why Arenanet tried to avoid splitting balance btw... too confusing for some people x)

Yeah I'm leaning more and more to it being a intentional skill split as well, I just don't get why they would do it to such a degree.

I'd imagine they did it because in PvE it hits for like 12k and you dont want 12k bursts on a 10 second cooldown with the rest of the engi's kit in pvp.

When they split skills in gw1, it was mentioned in the skill description. Don't know why they're not doing it now if it's confusing for some players

@ellesee.8297 said:I'd imagine they did it because in PvE it hits for like 12k and you dont want 12k bursts on a 10 second cooldown with the rest of the engi's kit in pvp.

When they split skills in gw1, it was mentioned in the skill description. Don't know why they're not doing it now if it's confusing for some players

It would never be able to hit 12k in sPvP tho, amulet stats fixes that... At best it could do 8k on another glass cannon

@ellesee.8297 said:I'd imagine they did it because in PvE it hits for like 12k and you dont want 12k bursts on a 10 second cooldown with the rest of the engi's kit in pvp.Why not? Holosmith is about as glassy and risky as it gets. Other builds with far less risk can burst a lot better. It's not a true 10s cooldown either due to the mechanics of Forge.When they split skills in gw1, it was mentioned in the skill description. Don't know why they're not doing it now if it's confusing for some playersTotally agree, could be a little more transparent on this stuff

Archived