Birthday Blaster as a Novelty

Noticed this today while cleaning up my bank and character-inventories. You get the blaster with the second character birthday and keep it until you delete it. It was introduced long before we had the Novelty system. It has no exploitable benefits and the buffs are not that good anymore. It is mostly a novelty-like item that often comes in handy when people are bored, as normal novelties.

What do you think about it?

I don't think it's 100% a novelty item. Sometimes I'll launch cake into random groups of people while waiting for an event timer, to give them that minor karma booster buff or magic find for the heck of it. However, I do think it should at least be an account-wide item that can fit into a shared inventory slot, if not a novelty item.

Edit: A very trivial, but fun, secret to the cake launcher is that you can actually combo field the cakes. You can set the cakes on fire and launch them at your enemies.

• 1 month later...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Meh ... if this was before the ascended food it might be useful but you can have a slightly better buff that last 6x longer for 20s

Hey! 20s is like 13 waypoints! Not all of us have top of the line self-driving limo-Golems y'know.

more like 4 ...

Wow, who pays 5s for WPs. Anything more than 2-3s I get around by using an LWS teleport tome or going to LA from HotM and porting to one of the racial cities.

I asked for this item to be made account bound like 6 years ago, it's insane that it isn't. Then I asked again when shared inventory slots came out. As a novelty, it would be even better.

@kharmin.7683 said:Making it account bound would sort of defeat the purpose of it being a birthday item, no?

No, if you think its OP (lol) that a character less than 2 years old can use it, then just do a query of the info sent back from /age. If it's <2 then it doesn't work.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Making it account bound would sort of defeat the purpose of it being a birthday item, no?

No, if you think its OP (lol) that a character less than 2 years old can use it, then just do a query of the info sent back from /age. If it's <2 then it doesn't work.

I don't think it's OP. It's a birthday item for a character, not for an account. Making it account bound would defeat that purpose. That was my point.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I don't think it's OP. It's a birthday item for a character, not for an account. Making it account bound would defeat that purpose. That was my point.

Yes, but it doesn't defeat the purpose at all. They still get to use it after age 2 and they can't use it before. Hooray, you turned 2, now you can use the family Birthday Blaster!

Are you actually arguing that its better to take up one inventory slot on every character for a free item you could just as easily make account bound, because... what? I don't get the reasoning here.

@Taylan.2187 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Meh ... if this was before the ascended food it might be useful but you can have a slightly better buff that last 6x longer for 20s

Hey! 20s is like 13 waypoints! Not all of us have top of the line self-driving limo-Golems y'know.

more like 4 ...

Wow, who pays 5s for WPs. Anything more than 2-3s I get around by using an LWS teleport tome or going to LA from HotM and porting to one of the racial cities.

with the time wasted with all that I could have chopped a bunch of trees/mined a bunch of ore that is worth more than whatever saving it might have given

@kharmin.7683 said:

What about all the other birthday items, which are account-wide? If you have the mail carrier, finisher, the rock 'chair' or any of the armour sets or backpacks, or even the mini pet, they can be used on all your characters no matter how old they are. The blaster is an anomaly by being soulbound to the character who picks it up from the mail rather than an account-wide unlock like all the other birthday items.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

more like 4 ...

with the time wasted with all that I could have chopped a bunch of trees/mined a bunch of ore that is worth more than whatever saving it might have given

Sure about that? Using an LWS tome is instant from anywhere. Maybe 10 seconds to look up on the world map which LWS map is nearest to your destination.

Going to HotM is also instant, after which you port to the HotM WP (no cost) directly aside the LA portal, then port to the Gate Hub WP (no cost) and run up to one of the racial city portals. Unless your PC takes a long time to load cities, it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds I guess.

It's a micro-optimization for sure, but if I save 4 silver, it's worth it IMO. :D

EDIT: I benchmarked it and it took almost exactly 45 seconds to get to a racial city via HotM->LA->GateHub. Let's say this only saves me 2 silver. That's about 25 seconds for 1 silver. For 1 gold it would be 2500 seconds = ~40 minutes. Crap. xD

I guess I'll just stick to using LWS tomes or HotM->LA travel for closing continent-size gaps.