Remove Hearts from Map Completion

Title says it all.Honestly, this is the most mundane task in this game. Completing some of the dumbest mini quests over and over with different skins rehashed. On top of that, some of them are an absolute pain to complete. They should only be used for additional experience while grinding a character or to unlock the vendor instead of being a requirement to complete a map.I get it, its supposed to be a grind, but 303 terrible things to do, does not help when its already a grind.Alternate solution:Drastically increase the completion/experience gained from the list of stupid stuff to do to make it less of a grind.

Just my two cents.. I cant bring myself to put the time into map completion on another character. It drains the life outta me.

• Like 2

Well, when it comes to map completion for another character, is your goal this thing, farmable map completion rewards, or just more waypoint mobility on the character?

If it's mobility, you can already buy WP unlock packs from the store or put mounts to work.If it's the Gift of Exploration, then you should have to put in the effort that renown hearts require to make the experience, well, legendary.If it's farmable rewards, renowns serve to keep them from being too easy to attain. You would not believe how quickly people are already doing this.

Part of the reason they require renown hearts per character is to ensure that:

a.) Making legendary weapons takes you back through the game again and gives a sense of journeyb.) People are present all throughout the game and populating it when new players come through - This kind of presence makes the MMO feel active and the game world alivec.) Older content has a chance to be enjoyed again, thereby extending its shelf life

And, just a small aside about gem store things: Since the game isn't traditionally pay-to-win, most of the things in the shop are conveniences and fashion - things you don't need to have in order to play but that might be nice to have. I'd put increased mobility in the category of convenience, which is why I'm fine with things like WP unlocks, mounts and gliding being pay-for items.

This would cheapen legendaries, by removing one of the biggest time sinks in the creation. Would lessen any prestige or value many people see in legendaries. Many would see it as much less "epic" I guess.

Personally I don't really care one way or another, since I've never cared about legendaries, and even threw away the one Gift of Exploration I got.

The main thing here is that Hearts are optional content, you don't have to do it, it's your own choice to do it. Thus Gift of Exploration, and thus Legendary weapons are all optional content. As such I really can't get annoyed at this one way or another.

Legendaries main purpose (design/content wise) is long term project, so removing the largest time sink from them would be counter intuitive from a design perspective.

And you always have the option to buy the G1 legendaries on the TP, to bypass the entire problem. So I'd say it's optional with optional ways of getting or bypassing, I can't really complain about that.

+1, remove this stupid thing plz.It's so boring to do all of them again and again for each char...It's not fun, it doesn't even add lore, it just plenty boring.

I enjoy good quest, but it's clearly not that at all.

Edit :Oh, I forget : you cannot make them with friend, if it kill something it won't count for you.Which term in MMO acronyme you don't understand ?

• Like 2

As it is now, the rewards for map completion of a zone are: item(s), materials and either a Transmutation Charge (common) or a BL Key (Rare).

Please note that the L80 zones with Hero Challenges reward exotics as the item, but that LS maps without Hero Challenges only award a rare item. It is possible from this to deduce that ANet equates less effort/time spent with less reward. If Hearts, which make up (a lot?) more than 50% of the time/effort needed to complete a map were removed, what reward would ANet remove as a consequence?

Be careful what you ask for.

It's not really map completion then is it?

More like map browsing lol.

At best, something like tuning on specific hearts which have annoying tasks and currently give really small amounts of heart progress. But map completion is map completion. If you want the complete map, do all the map activities. (At least you don't need to do JP's, WB's, meta events etc to "Complete" the map)

The whole point of getting Gift of Exploration is that you've helped nearly everyone in Tyria. Its the foundation of who the PC is, and if you look at the holographic precursors from Dragon Bash, they say "Modelled after a weapon wielded by a great hero".

I'm starting to think that, for alot of you on the forums, GW2 just isn't your type of game.

I do not want this.

Renown Hearts are one of my favourite aspects of Guild Wars 2 and were a big selling point during the marketing campaign for this game. To know that I did not have to read through walls of text in order to obtain the same outcome was an absolute delight. It made me feel more engaged with the world itself and I could really see the storytelling element through my actions that a wall of text quest simply could not give me.

I would be very unhappy to see Renown Hearts go completely. I feel their absence in the LWS maps and it saddens me. It is what motivates me to play alternative characters.

A big NO, I even think that removing map completion in WvW were an error. Sure you could get killed but it was fun trying to complete the whole map. It also due to that kind of opinion that we don't have heart in recent map. Devs should definitely do what they were doing at the start: hearts should be kept added in future maps and count in map completion. The whole game is revamped over time due to someone saying it's too hard.

Aren't the quests already nerfed enough due to "2014 'features' pack" ? No more throwing water on crop in DR, no more inquest near aquannian group in metrica, no more golem chess, no more gate to destroy in fort vandal quest, no more golem suit used to complete quest.... and can cite and find a lot more if I want.Many quests have been nerfed into: go here, just press F, this is an aberration. If "quests" are hard, then I ask for World bosses to be more nerfed to oblivion! /jk

• Confused 1

No, i dont agree. I like the hearts and they are not in any way a grind to a normal player. Only to obssesive completionists who force themselfs to map complete on every character within a narrow time frame. That is the real grind mentality, not the hearts. I also like that hearts guide you to areas where you can expect the basic events. I miss the hearts that did a comeback with LS3, still my favorite LS season for its casual friendlyness map design and events.

Map completion is saying it all: You have to complete the map, as in you have to do all what is on the map. That includes hearts. That includes works. That's game content. If you let aside part of it, that's no more map completion. The reward of map completion is used for crafting legendary. So of course, like everything required for a legendary, that's work. It's not supposed to go smooth, easy and fast.

Beside, honestly, you should stop complaining, because believe me, you're very lucky: Years ago, we had no mounts, we had no gliders, and all the WvW areas were part of map completion (reason why there are vistas and HPs there). In comparison to those times, nowadays, with mounts, gliding and WvW excluded, map completion is a piece of cake.

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:

@Orack.9756 said:Oh, I forget : you cannot make them with friend, if it kill something it won't count for you.Which term in MMO acronyme you don't understand ?

If you and your friend tag the enemy, you both get credit for the kill. Do you just let your friend do all the damage or something? This isn't WoW. Tag the enemies.

That all the problem when mob die from a single skill.If you have to gently atk mob both before kill it, their is still no purpose to group cuz it juste make it slower.Also lot of heart are about collecting thing, so...

It just bad design choice, that all.

@Orack.9756 said:

@Orack.9756 said:Oh, I forget : you cannot make them with friend, if it kill something it won't count for you.Which term in MMO acronyme you don't understand ?

If you and your friend tag the enemy, you both get credit for the kill. Do you just let your friend do all the damage or something? This isn't WoW. Tag the enemies.

That all the problem when mob die from a single skill.If you have to gently atk mob both before kill it, their is still no purpose to group cuz it juste make it slower.Also lot of heart are about collecting thing, so...

A lot of hearts also credit players for participating in nearby events and killing mobs that spawn with said events.

@lokh.2695 said:

A lot of hearts also credit players for participating in nearby events and killing mobs that spawn with said events.

Yup, but it's more about luck to get an event pop right when you do this than anything.