Perma Stealth + Portal is an issue I'd like to address.

It doesn't matter if thief is weak and useless in everything else, unfun things should simply not exist in games. Perma stealth, perma immob, etc are all super unfun to fight. I'd rather a class be useless than incredibly unfun to fight.

There is 100% a thing as perma stealth, equip p/d with shadow arts trait line and you can be stealthed forever.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:I'd rather a class be useless than incredibly unfun to fight.What if people find everything unfun to fight? Do we make everything useless? XD

Yes, please delete:Mesmer, not fun to fight against Clones.Thief, not fun to play against Stealth Class.Revenant, not fun play against Sustain + CC.Guardian, not fun to play against Sustain + CC, TrapHunters, High Boon Uptime, FireBrands.Necro, not fun to play against perma Fear, Condition Pressure, Area Denial, 50k Effective HP, leeching, OP downstate.Ranger, Perma Immob, OP downstate Heal, Sustain.

Engi, Warrior and Elementalist are probably fine.

@Shiyo.3578 said:It doesn't matter if thief is weak and useless in everything else, unfun things should simply not exist in games. Perma stealth, perma immob, etc are all super unfun to fight. I'd rather a class be useless than incredibly unfun to fight.

There is 100% a thing as perma stealth, equip p/d with shadow arts trait line and you can be stealthed forever.

@Shiyo.3578 said:Thief main here. Perma stealth is a global game issue, and not just a WvW one.

The original design of stealth(or so I thought), and why it's usable in combat unlike other MMO's, is because you were only supposed to have limited amounts of stealth and never perma stealth. However, now after shadow art traitline buffs(why? no one wants to fight SA thieves) and some other changes over the past 5+ years stealth has gotten too easy and spammable on thief. You now can just perma stealth all over the place.

At this point, this game has the most overpowered stealth I've ever seen in the MMORPG genre. In most games, stealth can only be used out of combat(or on a long cooldown mid-combat), being hit removes you from stealth, and you can see the stealthed player if you get near them but has no duratio. GW2 however, does not have any of these disadvantages, and has advantages on top of having no disadvantages. It's absurd.

At this point, we might as well just have all the restrictions that most MMORPG's have for stealth, since it's basically perma while also being usable in combat which is crazy.

Please completely and utterly destroy the shadow arts tree and reduce the sources of stealth thief has, or make it so stealth cannot stack duration. Shadow Meld should absolutely not remove revealed, as counters to counters is bad game design. You should still nerf the shadow arts tree, though.

You pretty much revealed that you can't be a Thief Main at all, first of all P/D is the popular Condi Thief Weapon Set variant (mad cause bad?), and its only source of Stealth is 5 which requires a Target. You cant reliable "Perma Stealth" that way alone.

Perma Stealth even if it would be a thing is not a "global game issue" at all and here is why:PvE: You not going to use Shadow ArtsPvP: It is very much balanced around the role of the Thief which in the current Meta is +1 and Roaming, if you take away Shadow Arts you hit 2 of the 2 viable Builds out there, if you just nerf Condi, there is atleast still the Power Daredevil with D/P.WvW: Like I already mentioned, Thief already has nothing for them apart from the Portal and some Stealth Access.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_MeldThe PvP/WvW Variant has 2s Stealth, yes it removes revealed, still that skill is only available to Deadeye, why does that matter?Deadeye is aside from Core Thief the most fragile Version of Thief, Deadeye's design is based on Stealth Access to perform and survive.A Deadeye without Stealth Access is just a downed/dead Deadeye.

Also

@Shiyo.3578 said:Deadeye:This spec is essentially useless in every game mode but raids, but it's not even top DPS in raids while providing zero utility and being incredibly squishy.Deadeye is pretty trash open world unless you're p/p but you'd be better off just play daredevil.Source: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108926/state-of-thief-in-pve

@wevh.2903 said:

@pninak.1069 said:use target painter traps. if you get him with one he is pretty much dead. and even if you don't get him you punish the next zerg capturing the keep by draining supplies.

Target painters? A Band Aid to fix a severed leg. Why should it be necessary to have to use a gimmick outside of existing reveals to deal with one class. NO OTHER CLASS REQUIRES THE PURCHASE OF SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FIGHT IT!!! The excessive stealth is servery busted so FIX IT !

Thieves has no other utility in the game mode since everyone can fast roam aroud the map with mount.

Than the question should be what other valuable utility can we give to a thief?But I hope we can all agree that having a mechanic in game that is only countered by special equipment and or a 1vs 25 situation is bad game design.

@Rikit Runk.5170 said:

@pninak.1069 said:use target painter traps. if you get him with one he is pretty much dead. and even if you don't get him you punish the next zerg capturing the keep by draining supplies.

Target painters? A Band Aid to fix a severed leg. Why should it be necessary to have to use a gimmick outside of existing reveals to deal with one class. NO OTHER CLASS REQUIRES THE PURCHASE OF SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FIGHT IT!!! The excessive stealth is servery busted so FIX IT !

Thieves has no other utility in the game mode since everyone can fast roam aroud the map with mount.

Than the question should be what other valuable utility can we give to a thief?But I hope we can all agree that having a mechanic in game that is only countered by special equipment and or a 1vs 25 situation is bad game design.

You do not need 25 ppl nor special equipment to track down a single Thief hiding somewhere, the question is more like, why would you wanna track it down in the first place.

Stuff get's flipped non-stop a single Thief with Portal will not be the reason you lose the week long battle, if that ever happens your World has a lot more problems going on.

@melody.2601 said:

You do not need 25 ppl nor special equipment to track down a single Thief hiding somewhere, the question is more like, why would you wanna track it down in the first place.

Stuff get's flipped non-stop a single Thief with Portal will not be the reason you lose the week long battle, if that ever happens your World has a lot more problems going on.

A condi reverent that can't really lose 1v1's also wont be the difference between a server winning or losing the week long battle, that doesn't mean it isn't extremely broken OP.A thief hiding in a keep after its flipped deserves the cap if it can survive 5 minutes of marked.The only issue with Thief portal is when a zerg breaks into inner and is wiped by the defenders, however a thief manages to survive the carnage and perma stealth's in a corner. Now at this point a group of less than 10 do not catch that thief. Ever. Even with 10 people they actually need to be a decent group of 10, running preferably roaming builds with spike damage coupled with reveals/marked tricks. And thats all assuming the defenders realize a thief slipped by them. Hell when I do this, I usually start hiding the moment inner goes down. Defenders really have no way of knowing I'm there because sniff doesn't work on stealthed players. Assuming Sherlock Holmes is able to deduce a thief is inside through voice lines you still need to catch me. I have full nomads gear, with durability runes + double cleansing and double energy on my weapons. If I do hit a stealth trap for any reason I just jump on my speed kitten mount thats immune to crowd control and bounce around for 30 seconds before resuming my hiding.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Idea of defenders actually having to sweep keeps again. But they need tools to make it fair. 10 players all working together with traps and tricks to hunt down a single player so that they don't teleport a map queue onto lords 10 mins after the defenders have left is overpowered.

@saerni.2584 said:

@Rikit Runk.5170 said:Hi there, on my world it's quite common to have a perma-stealth thief camping in your Keep, waiting to port some others in.And when said Thief is somewhat decent,it's almost impossible to remove him from your keep even when you hunt him with multiple people.

To address this problem without nerving the thief to the ground I suggest a new mechanic that gets applied to you, when you're within an enemy Keep.This could be visualized with something similar to a breakbar.The Bar starts at it maxiumum value of 300 (seconds_allowed_in_stealth
10)each second in stealth deals 15 (10 + [Heal / second]) points of damage to it.But each second the Bar gets healed for 5(Seconds_allowed_in_stealth
10 / Time_Frame) PointsWhenever the Bar drops to zero you get revealed.

so you can either spend your full 30 seconds in stealth and burn your bar to zero and have only little access to stealth for the next seconds or you only briefly stealth every now and then but you'll be able to maintain your stealth-bar for extended periods of time.By doing so the thief can still use stealth to gain access to his strong stealth attacks and stealth related traits, but he'll have a harder time to reset the fight completely and hide in some corner. Giving his opponents a fighting chance.

I believe this is a somewhat fair solution for all sides. It's not impossible to hide in keeps, but you have to put alot of work in, if you've been discovered to stay there.Opposed to the current situation where the thief needs to kitten up is rotation before he can get punished for it.

What server matchup is that? I never see anything like this.

Last reset night in tier 1, fire keep. Usually the desert BL is the best to do this, because the garri and fire keep have huge inner's. My zerg breaks down the inner wall, the server that shall not be named's map queue ports in and wipes them, I wait 10 mins for them to leave and then teleport 30 people onto the lord with the help of a guildy mesmer. Lord is at 30% before swords trigger, EWP is down, GG rip T3 keep. I'm then free to roam that map without the oppression of way points everywhere.

@Doug.4930 said:

A condi reverent that can't really lose 1v1's also wont be the difference between a server winning or losing the week long battle, that doesn't mean it isn't extremely broken OP.A thief hiding in a keep after its flipped deserves the cap if it can survive 5 minutes of marked.The only issue with Thief portal is when a zerg breaks into inner and is wiped by the defenders, however a thief manages to survive the carnage and perma stealth's in a corner. Now at this point a group of less than 10 do not catch that thief. Ever. Even with 10 people they actually need to be a decent group of 10, running preferably roaming builds with spike damage coupled with reveals/marked tricks. And thats all assuming the defenders realize a thief slipped by them. Hell when I do this, I usually start hiding the moment inner goes down. Defenders really have no way of knowing I'm there because sniff doesn't work on stealthed players. Assuming Sherlock Holmes is able to deduce a thief is inside through voice lines you still need to catch me. I have full nomads gear, with durability runes + double cleansing and double energy on my weapons. If I do hit a stealth trap for any reason I just jump on my speed kitten mount thats immune to crowd control and bounce around for 30 seconds before resuming my hiding.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Idea of defenders actually having to sweep keeps again. But they need tools to make it fair. 10 players all working together with traps and tricks to hunt down a single player so that they don't teleport a map queue onto lords 10 mins after the defenders have left is overpowered.

@Rikit Runk.5170 said:Hi there, on my world it's quite common to have a perma-stealth thief camping in your Keep, waiting to port some others in.And when said Thief is somewhat decent,it's almost impossible to remove him from your keep even when you hunt him with multiple people.

To address this problem without nerving the thief to the ground I suggest a new mechanic that gets applied to you, when you're within an enemy Keep.This could be visualized with something similar to a breakbar.The Bar starts at it maxiumum value of 300 (seconds_allowed_in_stealth
10)each second in stealth deals 15 (10 + [Heal / second]) points of damage to it.But each second the Bar gets healed for 5(Seconds_allowed_in_stealth

so you can either spend your full 30 seconds in stealth and burn your bar to zero and have only little access to stealth for the next seconds or you only briefly stealth every now and then but you'll be able to maintain your stealth-bar for extended periods of time.By doing so the thief can still use stealth to gain access to his strong stealth attacks and stealth related traits, but he'll have a harder time to reset the fight completely and hide in some corner. Giving his opponents a fighting chance.

I believe this is a somewhat fair solution for all sides. It's not impossible to hide in keeps, but you have to put alot of work in, if you've been discovered to stay there.Opposed to the current situation where the thief needs to kitten up is rotation before he can get punished for it.

Last reset night in tier 1, fire keep. Usually the desert BL is the best to do this, because the garri and fire keep have huge inner's. My zerg breaks down the inner wall, the server that shall not be named's map queue ports in and wipes them, I wait 10 mins for them to leave and then teleport 30 people onto the lord with the help of a guildy mesmer. Lord is at 30% before swords trigger, EWP is down, GG rip T3 keep. I'm then free to roam that map without the oppression of way points everywhere.

I’m confused. It was reset but the keep was T3? And then the server not-to-be-named didn’t have people in their T3 keeping an eye out 10 minutes after 30+ people broke into inner?

When we (NSP) tried the exact same thing In T1 they had at least 3 people hanging around keeping an eye out for a returning Zerg.

@Doug.4930 said:

Cool story but, i had the same issue last night where a thief was hiding in fire keep after they broke in. He died in about 2 minutes because me and 2 others put down a few stealth traps,he hit them and he died. Its as simple as that. All you need is using your eyes and having some awareness.

While I'm not thrilled about your proposed solution, I agree that the current state of this 'mechanic' is hilariously terrible.

Even if your zerg sweeps the keep and several people place traps, it's still far too easy for a perma-stealth class to evade detection considering how monumental the pay-off for success is. Those saying to simply use the tools at your disposal are, to be blunt, not all that bright or trolling.

@saerni.2584 said:

I’m confused. It was reset but the keep was T3? And then the server not-to-be-named didn’t have people in their T3 keeping an eye out 10 minutes after 30+ people broke into inner?

When we (NSP) tried the exact same thing In T1 they had at least 3 people hanging around keeping an eye out for a returning Zerg.

I should have clarified, I'm in the OCX timezone, so reset night for me is actually 12 hours into the match up. Saturday night.

There were a couple of scouts in the keep, but seeing as I teleported our zerg past inner and with a direct route to the lord, the reinforcements they no doubt called for had no chance of way pointing to spawn and traversing the map before my zerg had melted the lord. Because as I mentioned earlier the ewp was pulled to repel the initial attack. Whilst if my zerg was forced to build seige and brute force 2 walls/gates down the scouts would have plenty of time to call us out and get some bodies in the keep. Not so much when we're on the lord before they realize whats happened.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

Cool story but, i had the same issue last night where a thief was hiding in fire keep after they broke in. He died in about 2 minutes because me and 2 others put down a few stealth traps,he hit them and he died. Its as simple as that. All you need is using your eyes and having some awareness.

You seem to think I'm debating my points from the eyes of the victim. I assure you that I am the one abusing this mechanic. 2 players are never going to kill me unless I mess up real bad, or they catch me as I'm in the bathroom. I don't care how many stealth traps they lay down. I just jump on my mount for the remainder of the marked, or I swap to a run away build (which I can literally swap to with 2 clicks) thats speced into acro and daredevil with double shortbow/double energy/double cleansing. I guarantee you that anything less than 10 players does not catch me. Either Im permastealthing, or im fleeing on a runaway daredevil. With full nomads on each build.

I assume that the thief that you killed was a very inexperienced player.

The thing is, like a lot of solo stealth situations, it's fun for exactly one player.For everyone else, at best, it's boring. Actually, it's usually annoying.

And it's win-win for the thief. They either get off on the thrill of being hunted and the knowledge that they have single handedly wasted the time of maybe 50 players before being caught, or they avoid detection and portal in their buddies to immediately backflip at almost no cost; again undermining the efforts of maybe 50 players. As a win-win for the thief it's a no-risk high-reward gameplay. Bad design. Fuels resentment. And the people who like playing thieves especially love that.

You lost the fight, now fuck off for bit while we clear your seige and move onto the next fight. Why should we all have to run around for 5 more fkn minutes, for his entertainment, trying to find one beevis or butthead? Interesting mechanics? Good, fun game design? Nah.

@Doug.4930 said:

I should have clarified, I'm in the OCX timezone, so reset night for me is actually 12 hours into the match up. Saturday night.

There were a couple of scouts in the keep, but seeing as I teleported our zerg past inner and with a direct route to the lord, the reinforcements they no doubt called for had no chance of way pointing to spawn and traversing the map before my zerg had melted the lord. Because as I mentioned earlier the ewp was pulled to repel the initial attack. Whilst if my zerg was forced to build seige and brute force 2 walls/gates down the scouts would have plenty of time to call us out and get some bodies in the keep. Not so much when we're on the lord before they realize whats happened.

You seem to think I'm debating my points from the eyes of the victim. I assure you that I am the one abusing this mechanic. 2 players are never going to kill me unless I mess up real bad, or they catch me as I'm in the bathroom. I don't care how many stealth traps they lay down. I just jump on my mount for the remainder of the marked, or I swap to a run away build (which I can literally swap to with 2 clicks) thats speced into acro and daredevil with double shortbow/double energy/double cleansing. I guarantee you that anything less than 10 players does not catch me. Either Im permastealthing, or im fleeing on a runaway daredevil. With full nomads on each build.

I’d actually blame the commander here. If I see a 30 plus group try to take a keep and EWP gets pulled...I’d assume they are going to try again. That EWP is what saved the fight and I’d assume o can’t just leave the map for a little bit.

We had numerous attempts a few nights back on Hills on opposing BL. The EWP got pulled and the commander wiped the group pretty easy. Then the commander left the map and the group came back almost immediately. It was much harder for the commander to come back quickly after the EWP was on cooldown (even with scouts calling it out). After running back several more times and wiping the enemy the commander still didn’t try to stay on the map (left both times immediately) and push another objective (like Bay or a nearby tower) to run interference for Hills. When the commander logged out a short time later that same group (very persistent lol) came back and took Hills with no resistance whatsoever even with a call out well in advance.

In that situation, if you leave only a couple of inexperienced scouts in the keep after a defense that breaks into inner...that’s on the defenders.

@saerni.2584 said:

I’d actually blame the commander here. If I see a 30 plus group try to take a keep and EWP gets pulled...I’d assume they are going to try again. That EWP is what saved the fight and I’d assume o can’t just leave the map for a little bit.

We had numerous attempts a few nights back on Hills on opposing BL. The EWP got pulled and the commander wiped the group pretty easy. Then the commander left the map and the group came back almost immediately. It was much harder for the commander to come back quickly after the EWP was on cooldown (even with scouts calling it out). After running back several more times and wiping the enemy the commander still didn’t try to stay on the map (left both times immediately) and push another objective (like Bay or a nearby tower) to run interference for Hills. When the commander logged out a short time later that same group (very persistent lol) came back and took Hills with no resistance whatsoever even with a call out well in advance.

In that situation, if you leave only a couple of inexperienced scouts in the keep after a defense that breaks into inner...that’s on the defenders.

I could get on board with what you're saying, if I actually had to work to survive inside of enemy keeps. But I don't. The inner is so large and I have so many tools to evade defenders whether it be stealth/mounts/runaway builds etc. It doesn't seem balanced in my view that I can force 10 or more people to babysit a t3 keep for as long as I have patience. I should be the one who's forced to think outside the box to evade detection. The ball should be in the defenders court. But its not, Its simply too easy for me to abuse this mechanic. If sniff worked on stealthed players, or there was a tactic that applied marked to the inside of the keep for 5 mins on a 60m cd then perhaps It wouldn't be so easy. But as it stands now, the only times I've ever been stopped doing this is when 10-20 people chase me around inner for ages and I get bored and leave, or the keep flips and I have 30 people chase me down while marked.

Because apart of me likes this. Its nice to see a mechanic in which the few can impact the many, especially in this game mode where it seems every counter to game mechanics is consistently "bring more people". Whether that be the abomination that is downstate, or 2 players building 4 golems inside a camp. The solution isn't get creative its bring more people, blob harder. But the portal problem is its just too easy. There needs to be reasonable counter play that doesn't revolve around "bring more people".

About to press enter on this post, but when you think about it everything is like that now. Watch towers/marked is too easy, great automatic map/wall hacks for everybody, no human sentries/players required. Building golems in a camp is too easy, build a couple and stand in the ring screaming in team chat and no roamer can take it. Keeps go t3 automatically, no baby sitting/purchasing upgrades needed. The list can go on and on, I'm sure any experienced player could add to it. And yea, the thief portal is too easy. But given all the other problems don't seem to be going anywhere, I'd suggest we all just get used to it.

@Doug.4930 said:

I could get on board with what you're saying, if I actually had to work to survive inside of enemy keeps. But I don't. The inner is so large and I have so many tools to evade defenders whether it be stealth/mounts/runaway builds etc. It doesn't seem balanced in my view that I can force 10 or more people to babysit a t3 keep for as long as I have patience. I should be the one who's forced to think outside the box to evade detection. The ball should be in the defenders court. But its not, Its simply too easy for me to abuse this mechanic. If sniff worked on stealthed players, or there was a tactic that applied marked to the inside of the keep for 5 mins on a 60m cd then perhaps It wouldn't be so easy. But as it stands now, the only times I've ever been stopped doing this is when 10-20 people chase me around inner for ages and I get bored and leave, or the keep flips and I have 30 people chase me down while marked.

Because apart of me likes this. Its nice to see a mechanic in which the few can impact the many, especially in this game mode where it seems every counter to game mechanics is consistently "bring more people". Whether that be the abomination that is downstate, or 2 players building 4 golems inside a camp. The solution isn't get creative its bring more people, blob harder. But the portal problem is its just too easy. There needs to be reasonable counter play that doesn't revolve around "bring more people".

About to press enter on this post, but when you think about it everything is like that now. Watch towers/marked is too easy, great automatic map/wall hacks for everybody, no human sentries/players required. Building golems in a camp is too easy, build a couple and stand in the ring screaming in team chat and no roamer can take it. Keeps go t3 automatically. And yea, the thief portal is too easy. But given all the other problems don't seem to be going anywhere, I'd suggest we all just get used to it.

I like the idea of a tactic you load into keeps. Towers with Watchtower are immune to stealth and small enough to force a thief out. Keeps where you can slot a marking period of 5 minutes on 20 minute timer, maybe at the same tier as chilling fog or supply drop, would bring some counterplay flexibility but not be oppressive.

Ultimately however, I’m just a little ambivalent about whether this happens often enough to matter balance wise. It takes coordination and a opposing team that doesn’t have multiple tags (stacks everyone on one tag). It also takes a specific set of circumstances that only tend to appear when the targeted team has too many things to defend (or winning the match PPT wise) and the commander has to constantly map hop to cover everything. That’s when a trick like stealth portals works best. And that’s fine because they are winning the matchup and losing a keep briefly won’t change that. Stealth portals against teams with fewer main objectives will have commanders nearby to defend or sweep and more active scouts. Stealth portals against much weaker teams don’t make sense because you can just brute force into their stuff and take it the first time around.

@Doug.4930 said:

About to press enter on this post, but when you think about it everything is like that now. Watch towers/marked is too easy, great automatic map/wall hacks for everybody, no human sentries/players required. Building golems in a camp is too easy, build a couple and stand in the ring screaming in team chat and no roamer can take it. Keeps go t3 automatically, no baby sitting/purchasing upgrades needed. The list can go on and on, I'm sure any experienced player could add to it. And yea, the thief portal is too easy. But given all the other problems don't seem to be going anywhere, I'd suggest we all just get used to it.

I've said this before, but if they just made a tactivator that means all enemies within the keep are marked for 5 minutes on a 30 minute cooldown (similar to how it is now when the keep flips), the problem would likely go away. Because frankly, if you survive 5+ minutes of marked on a stealth class with 20+ people chasing you down (presumably laying stealth traps and using target painters to add to the total duration), you deserve to stay in the keep imo. And if the defenders don't put in the effort to check the keep or chase you down, all the more so.

@Caedmon.6798 said:Cool story but, i had the same issue last night where a thief was hiding in fire keep after they broke in. He died in about 2 minutes because me and 2 others put down a few stealth traps,he hit them and he died. Its as simple as that. All you need is using your eyes and having some awareness.

That's a great story, but completely off-topic. I ate an apple once and it had a worm in it. I ate the worm too. Now I think every apple has a worm in it.

people who think they can sweep a thief out are out of there minds..if i get to go out of combat and flip my build ull never get me out and yes im perma stealthed.

on the other hand when u take a keep every1 is marked so i cant perma stealth for next 4? minutes so i dont really see the problem.

I guess I could say the same thing for outnumbered servers where people say "just get more people", and that it's been said that outnumbered servers should always lose to the bigger force no matter what. I don't see the point in defending there when there's no point, and it certainly is not a fun game (where that affects more people than a thief in an objective does).That said, if all servers employ thieves to stay behind, who is to say no fighting would ensue? Barring the point that there would be thieves hiding, would those servers not actively try getting into the objective anyway and the other servers try defend? I guess I don't see the part where no one actually fights each other, that sounds more like dodging fights than an issue with a thief in objective, and I've seen my share of matchups where no one fights each other. In all honesty, nothing is fair or fun in WvW depending on what side you end up on.

Hey there, so if you've ever fought against NSP before you've probably seen or experienced me before, I'm the dumbass [sA] thief who's either hiding in your keeps, or is running around like a lunatic with daredevil abusing evade mechanics with full nomads gear of speed. Abusing permastealth mechanics has always been one of my favorite parts about thief, back in 2012-2013 I use to run 2 accounts 1 mesmer account with portal which I would let die inside a tower or keep, and then my main thief would hide, back then you could stay dead permanently so I would just revive my mesmer and port zergs in. When the 5 minute timer got fixed I thought my dreams were over...

However years later when they added the portal trap, I knew my time had come I knew immediately what I was going to do with that skill, as someone who primarily plays this play style for the better part of the last 8 years let me say that while this is indeed absolutely broken I don't really think its a problem and nerfing stealth mechanics will not help you. Allow me to elaborate on that.

-Hiding inside of stuff (that isn't your own towers/keeps) is a laboriously long endeavor it is not uncommon for me to sit inside SM, keeps, towers for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours before friendly zerg comes by to get a port.-Its a very frequent situation I find myself in, in which the friendly zerg doesn't have a mesmer, meaning my port is useless if its a keep or SM porting 4 people in will not change the situation.-Even if I manage to port people in and you don't notice me 90% of the time its just a paper tower and given the amount of effort I have to put in to staying inside it vs the amount of effort it takes to get a handful of people to build several guild catapults it's rarely worth the effort as long as you put in like 1-2 minutes to look for me and station someone in the tower I will never be able to take the tower without the person inside alerting his server of my shenanigans.

Fundamentally it does not matter what you do or nerf I will always be able to do this so long as - build template hot keys exist, and shadow portal exists.

-Add more reveal skills? I never die to stealth traps unless I make a mistake. Anytime I hit a stealth trap I immediately swap from SA deadeye, to acro daredevil even if you have 20 people staring at the stealth trap I hit, you will not be able to catch me before the reveal is gone, I can outrun the entire group and break combat with either my pure speed, or using the portal to portal away.-Nerf stealth mechanics? Again, not a problem I can run acro daredevil instead, or I can just place a portal inside whatever I'm in and jump out and wait outside. Portal skill can be easily abused if used right because it has a global cooldown of 60 seconds when placed, and its duration is also 60 seconds. So if I place my exit portal at 55 seconds I can jump back into the tower, place another portal, and jump out and you'll never see me.

This is all under the assumption I am alone. It's not uncommon for me to play with from 2-10 perma stealth thiefs as well (this gets progressively more hilarious the more thiefs you have, you've not truly experienced thief until you have 15 permastealth thiefs hiding in every corner of a tower) You have no chance of removing me if there are 2-3 thiefs in this because if one dies I can just portal him back in.

But if you still want to try and fix this (because I personally agree no matter how much fun I have with it, it's pretty cancerous lol) here are a few of my suggestions to "balance" this better.

-Nerf poral skill so it doesn't have global cooldown IE: So when I place the exit portal it starts the 60 second cooldown so I can't just maintain an escape portal 24/7-Increase the max number of stealth traps per player from 1 to 3, this is something I've suggested for a while if every player could place up to 3 stealth traps could be used for great strategic scout info, and it would at very least make it more difficult for me to do what I do.-Give warclaw sniff ability a second feature: anything stealthed within a 900 range is forcibly revealed for 5 seconds, however I don't really like this one because I'm worried how it will be abused in zerg vs zerg play.-Disallow the swapping of gear/skills while in WvW until you've been out of combat for at least 60 seconds. Not a perfect fix but it would make it harder for me to abuse the gear set mechanics so easily. Or even make it so I can't swap sets while I'm revealed lol.