Does it also make you mad that bag slots are soul bound vs account bound?

On 8/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, costepj.5120 said:

Some people have maxed out their 69 character slots. If a bag slot was an account wide unlock, what price in gems would be fair to potentially open another 1380 inventory slots (based on using 20 slot bags in each)?

2400 Gems sounds about right to me for one account-wide bag slot. I think that this is a price point that would be a fair price for Anet while keeping it real for players. I think that if they'd charge more than that most people wouldn't be interested anymore. 

Of course Anet have to make clear that those characters that have their bag slots maxed out would not benefit from this and just draw a hard line there. You'll get the usual complaints about it not being fair, but that's just bad luck. Offers change in the gem store all the time. You don't see people moaning about paying full price for something and than a sale happens 6 months later, which makes the item cheaper at that time. You'll be sad for five minutes and then you get over it.

• Like 1

It doesn't make me mad, but it does make me not buy them.

I never know when my current favorite profession is going to get tweaked in a way that is going to make me less interested in playing them, and I'm definitely not going to shell out that kind of money to have an extra bag slot on all 10 characters. So I do without and practice good inventory management the best I can.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4

Yes, I was too excited for Revenant release and maxed it's bag slots right away but I been wishing I could remake him as a male Human cuz of how neglected male Sylvari have been when it comes to fashion quality (been also wishing I could on my teef main too who has bag slots and templates) but:

1. no race change items in gemstore still

2. making a new char will put all his bag slots (and equipment templates) to waste

I also ended up not really liking my Revenant as much as I hoped (and the class felt/feels unfinished) and been wishing I put them on Necro instead when Scourge released and even more-so with Harbinger for my primary alt I use for things Thieves aren't allowed to do publiclly. Hoping the new elite is truly something for me this time around.

Edited by Doggie.3184

A reasonable middle ground would be a "bag slot extractor" that allowed you to recover a bag slot from a character that you are going to delete or that you aren't using much anymore and move it to another character.  That way your bag slot expander only gives you the same maximum 32 spots instead of 32 * number-of-characters that an account-wide expander would give you.  I leave the appropriate cost of an extractor as an exercise for the reader. 😁

An account-wide bag slot would cause the loss of not only further bag slot sales but also bank slot sales as extra characters would be used to store stuff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, phandaria.4891 said:

OMG, the citations! 👏👏👏

If I can comment on your assumption: "Characters are not a permanent part of the account". To me, this is a subjective statement.

In my subjective opinion, characters are permanent part of the account. There is little benefit in deleting a character, especially if you haven't maxed out your character slot, for birthday gifts, mules, etc. The only characters I ever delete were Silverwastes bag opener or key farming characters.

To be fair, it is very hard to price permanent inventory slot addition even to characters created in the future. In comparison, other MMOs often use subscription pricing (sometimes on top of the baseline monthly subscription), but this won't be good for GW2 either.

Let's say if there's ever "Permanent Bag Slot Expansion Contract", how much the playerbase would want it? I'd say that it is a must have for every single player, eclipsing all other permanent contracts available.

(At the time of writing) The current exchange rate is 100 gem for 20g 4s and Permanent Bank Access Contract buy price currently is 4102g 10s. Using this pricing, Permanent Bag Slot Expansion Contract would easily be above 20,000 gems. I would even argue it is 10x more valuable.

Compared to the current Bag Slot Expansion, 400 gems for max of 5 extra bag slots per character, means that you could max out 10 characters for that 20,000 gems, possibly even more if it is more expensive.

I included the premise of transient characters because not everyone will keep a character permanently.  It was also important to note that whether or not you want to delete a character has no financial factor to it.  Deleting a character and remaking a character using the same character slot has no impact on your wallet.  However, with bag slot expansions (and templates) there is now an actual cost to it.  Deleting a character with those upgrades is effectively throwing that money spent in the trash.  Now, a player that would have considered the option of deleting a character is now forced to keep it or else accept that the money spent was wasted.

This distinction is such an integral part of the valuation process that, I am willing to argue, most players engage in at some level.  Purchasing such character-specific upgrades begs the question "Am I willing to keep this character forever?"  There is value placed on the answer and even the question itself.  Even if it is in such abstract terms as "Is it worth it?"

While this may not affect every single player, I thought it was worth identifying in the value analysis that I use to explain my opinion of the current prices.

Now I'm thinking if there's a better way to frame the first premise.

I, too, cannot figure out what a reasonable price for an account-wide bag expansion would be.  This is Why I'm of the opinion that the current price of bag slot expansions should be reduced to match the marginal benefit.  At the same time, reducing a price like this is effectively a permanent decision.  A company can almost never raise the price back to the original level.  It's easy to imagine the public backlash.  So reducing a price in this manner isn't something a company can do unless absolutely and completely sure it is the right decision.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

2400 Gems sounds about right to me for one account-wide bag slot. I think that this is a price point that would be a fair price for Anet while keeping it real for players. I think that if they'd charge more than that most people wouldn't be interested anymore. 

Of course Anet have to make clear that those characters that have their bag slots maxed out would not benefit from this and just draw a hard line there. You'll get the usual complaints about it not being fair, but that's just bad luck. Offers change in the gem store all the time. You don't see people moaning about paying full price for something and than a sale happens 6 months later, which makes the item cheaper at that time. You'll be sad for five minutes and then you get over it.

But we do see people moaning alot when things go on sale.