Warrior Balance Requests Omnibus

Lan Deathrider.5910

@wolverine.5164 said:

@wolverine.5164 said:Please do not forget about rousing resiliance... is trash,0 it be forgotten completly... what about utilitys? do u know how bad is berseker stance? , shattering blow?, healing signet? shield master 1 sec might?, king of fires only 10% burn duration?... lets just not ingnore everything else...

This is a discussion thread to discuss what needs to change. Please feel free to bring suggestions to the discussion. I am purposefully holding back and allow others to bring suggestions up. I can seriously suggest a change for every single weapon, trait, and skill. I do not want this to be a personal wish list, but a community driven effort.

As to Rousing Resilience. There is some great interaction with Berserker and Eternal Champion. There is also a Spellbreaker build floating around that makes good use of it, but with Last Stand broken by the devs on purpose and conditions being more prevalent than they were Cleansing Ire is more important of a trait to take. Try RR out with Runes of the Tempest btw, you may like it more then.

what r u talking about?, wish list, r u kitten serious?, all the traits/utilitys/heals that i mentioned r trash and thats a fact, u must be a pve player so i understan ur lack of knowledge so let me explain, Rousing resiliance: use to be 2.5k heals and 8 sec RR that granted 1k of thoughness... and ALSO had a 0.5% heal coefient, nerf to 0.1% coeficient that makes no sence... the proper nerf would had been from 2.5k to 1.5k from 8 sec to 5 sec and lastly from 0.5% to 0.3%... this is NOT a wish list.... this r FACTS.

You misread what I said. I said that I didn't want it to become MY personal wishlist, but rather a community effort. I'm asking YOU to bring suggestions and reasoning other than 'this sucks buff it.'

I play quite a lot of WvW mate. ALL of warrior's sustain was hit hard at the balance patch, not just RR, more so than I think other class's with my cursory look through those patch notes. MMR for instance was hit by a 52% nerf!!!! Meanwhile other sources of sustain on other classes just had their CDs increased (like most of Guardian sustain sources).

Since you are hung up over sustain why not pour over those patch notes and compile how much Warrior sustain was nerfed relative to other classes? Going to the balance team and saying, 'Hey, our sustain sucks now' gets you nowhere but saying 'Hey, you nerfed our sustain on average by 50% while only nerfing sustain on the other classes by 33%, can we get that normalized so that Warrior can actually be competitive?'

Frankly that sounds like the best way to approach it, what really was the overall sustain nerf to each of the classes, and what was warrior's in comparison?

@wolverine.5164 said:

@wolverine.5164 said:Please do not forget about rousing resiliance... is trash,0 it be forgotten completly... what about utilitys? do u know how bad is berseker stance? , shattering blow?, healing signet? shield master 1 sec might?, king of fires only 10% burn duration?... lets just not ingnore everything else...

This is a discussion thread to discuss what needs to change. Please feel free to bring suggestions to the discussion. I am purposefully holding back and allow others to bring suggestions up. I can seriously suggest a change for every single weapon, trait, and skill. I do not want this to be a personal wish list, but a community driven effort.

As to Rousing Resilience. There is some great interaction with Berserker and Eternal Champion. There is also a Spellbreaker build floating around that makes good use of it, but with Last Stand broken by the devs on purpose and conditions being more prevalent than they were Cleansing Ire is more important of a trait to take. Try RR out with Runes of the Tempest btw, you may like it more then.

what r u talking about?, wish list, r u kitten serious?, all the traits/utilitys/heals that i mentioned r trash and thats a fact, u must be a pve player so i understan ur lack of knowledge so let me explain, Rousing resiliance: use to be 2.5k heals and 8 sec RR that granted 1k of thoughness... and ALSO had a 0.5% heal coefient, nerf to 0.1% coeficient that makes no sence... the proper nerf would had been from 2.5k to 1.5k from 8 sec to 5 sec and lastly from 0.5% to 0.3%... this is NOT a wish list.... this r FACTS.

Lan is saying that he isn't populating the list all on his own, he is compiling it from the suggestions and feedback from other people in this thread so as to avoid it looking more like his own personal wishlist for the class. He isn't coming up with any of the suggestions or changes you're seeing in the main post, that is everyone else in this thread.

So if you feel like the traits and skills you are mentioning need to be changed, altered or reworked then think of ways that they can be, reasonable ways, and provide that information and reasons why. Valid reasons, not just "because" or "they stink", you have to explain why they do, why they need to be addressed in some way. That is the best way to provide feedback.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Lan is saying that he isn't populating the list all on his own, he is compiling it from the suggestions and feedback from
other people
in this thread so as to avoid it looking more like his own
personal
wishlist for the class. He isn't coming up with any of the suggestions or changes you're seeing in the main post, that is everyone else in this thread.

So if you feel like the traits and skills you are mentioning need to be changed, altered or reworked then think of ways that they can be, reasonable ways, and provide that information and reasons
why
. Valid reasons, not just "because" or "they stink", you have to explain
why
they do,
why
they need to be addressed in some way. That is the best way to provide feedback.

Thanks. Grant it though that if someone opens the door to changes to something I'll throw my 2c in, or if multiple options are presented with no common consensus I'll take my choice of the presented options. The Meditation and Rage skills could all be revamped to be honest, but as I said I want other people to mention things and debate them. I'm pouring over the net sustain reduction each class suffered in the Feb. Patch to see how they compare to warrior to see if there is extra sustain that can be regained in relation to the other classes.

I'll be honest I did not agree with Rifle as Shotgun at first, but if they just change the 1200 projectiles to 600 range cone AoEs then that weapon may very well have a strong place in PvP/WvW. That and the proposed Berserk Mode rework are probably the two best things to come out of this discussion thread.

Speaking to the level of sustain that was nerfed on Warrior relative to other classes...

Well... OVERALL Warrior is about in the middle of the pack, its just that the main sources of sustain that the class has traditionally relied on got nerfed some of the hardest amongst the nerfs.

So it feels more that CmC is pushing the class away from those sources for other options, like Natural Healing or "To The Limit!"

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Lan is saying that he isn't populating the list all on his own, he is compiling it from the suggestions and feedback from
other people
personal
wishlist for the class. He isn't coming up with any of the suggestions or changes you're seeing in the main post, that is everyone else in this thread.

So if you feel like the traits and skills you are mentioning need to be changed, altered or reworked then think of ways that they can be, reasonable ways, and provide that information and reasons
why
why
they do,
why
they need to be addressed in some way. That is the best way to provide feedback.

Thanks. Grant it though that if someone opens the door to changes to something I'll throw my 2c in, or if multiple options are presented with no common consensus I'll take my choice of the presented options. The Meditation and Rage skills could all be revamped to be honest, but as I said I want other people to mention things and debate them. I'm pouring over the net sustain reduction each class suffered in the Feb. Patch to see how they compare to warrior to see if there is extra sustain that can be regained in relation to the other classes.

I'll be honest I did not agree with Rifle as Shotgun at first, but if they just change the 1200 projectiles to 600 range cone AoEs then that weapon may very well have a strong place in PvP/WvW. That and the proposed Berserk Mode rework are probably the two best things to come out of this discussion thread.

listen, i did make a post about EVERY skill/trait/heal/utility that the warrior has... im simply one of those 10k plus hour warrior player... yea basic "since beta player" so i guess i have been around a while... im actually tired of making post and talking in the forums... as a matter of fact the last patch (cc no dmg patch) in my opinion was rlly bad, specially for SB why?, because counter, bullsrecharge, shield bash, rampage and ofc dagger 3 do no dmg... but the most important thing in my opinion again is the defence trait line... where all the warrior sustain comes from... i think we can agree on that.

@wolverine.5164 said:

other people
personal

why
why
they do,
why

listen, i did make a post about EVERY skill/trait/heal/utility that the warrior has... im simply one of those 10k plus hour warrior player... yea basic "since beta player" so i guess i have been around a while... im actually tired of making post and talking in the forums... as a matter of fact the last patch (cc no dmg patch) in my opinion was rlly bad, specially for SB why?, because counter, bullsrecharge, shield bash, rampage and ofc dagger 3 do no dmg... but the most important thing in my opinion again is the defence trait line... where all the warrior sustain comes from... i think we can agree on that.

And what we are asking you to do is give a detailed discussion here as to why each separate item in your opinion is not working, and how to make it better. I have played this class since launch myself, and it is in a rough shape now. The no damage on CC was a poor move by the devs, but they have also said that they are FINE with it if you have to trait for it.

See the suggestion for Body Blow:

• Body Blow: Change this trait to: CCs apply weakness (3s) and deal damage, 400/800 scaling of 1.0/0.8 (PvE/Comp). Can critical hit. Damage and weakness are applied after the CC.

A lower base value in PvE since they do dmg there anyway, but higher scaling. High base dmg in the competitive modes, but a little lower scaling. The scaling and base value are similar to Lightening Rod for a reference. This damage packet can critical hit. For trait purposes the damage and weakness are applied after the CC connects. This means that stability will negate it, but it also means Merciless Hammer's extra damage for hammer and Unsuspecting Foe will work with the trait. With that change and Unsuspecting Foe you could possibly run without precision and focus more on some defensive stats with Hammer or Mace/X or X/Shield.

There are suggestions listed in Defense:

• Defy Pain: Defy Pain now provides Spiked Armor (5s) and Protection (5s) when struck below 50% HP and breaks stuns with a CD of 60s.
  • Last Stand: Last Stand now increases stance duration by 25%, reduces their CDs by 20%, and provides 6s of vigor upon activation.
  • Cleansing Ire: This trait now activates upon number of adrenaline bars spent regardless of if a foe is struck.

@KryTiKaL.3125 is right though that the stunbreak on Defy Pain probably needs to go. That and my mind conflated spiked armor and retaliation, so when I go to update the main post later I'll correct both those things, not that anyone was unclear by what I meant.

As to RR. it got nerfed just like everyone else's sustain, some sources got hit hard on several classes. I advocated above to partially unnerf MMR since it is one of the main sources of sustain for warrior, I also put in the suggestion that applying vulnerability heals the warrior into Sundering Bursts. I think those two changes along with unbreaking Defy Pain and Last Stand would help warrior sustain. RR still provides a large amount of Toughness post stunbreak, and I think if you wanted more healing that you would have to sacrifice the toughness for it.

Reducing the interval on Marching Orders to 5s from 15s would also open up a line of decent, but not broken, sustain for the warrior.

• 2 weeks later...

@RiyazGuerra.9203 said:Good ideas for mace Lan.

To help a little bit in the dps department, I suggest the following addition,

Pommel BashDaze your foe with a brutal pommel bash.

Damage: 147If a skill was interrupted, the attack is a critical hit.Daze: 1 secondRange: 130

So, if it interrupts have it be a guaranteed crit? Not sure if the base damage on Pommel Bash nor it's scaling is good enough for that to make a difference.

One thing i'd like to see is the way hammer F1 / jump skills function.

I'd like to see these function like 'teleports' so you'd jump up into the sky to land at the target location (as if falling from the sky onto the floor) This would allow the use of a jump skill to quickly climb a ledge which you previously could not do... This would then make warrior players begin to take a utility they normally would never pick as it could now be used to escape or chase.

By no means would these be instant like the 'fast' classes are, as you'd still need to do the jump animation into the sky then back down from it.

Some edits to the main post:

• Removed the stun break from Defy Pain, reduced the CD to 30s, fixed my mind typo of Spiked Armor <-> Retaliation.
  • Reduced the CD on Marching Orders from 15s to 5s.
  • Change Bladestorm to:
  • Bladestorm: Change this skill to an activation time of 1/2s. For 2s blades swirl around creating a lightening field, granting swiftness to allies and damaging foes, Foes damaged are inflicted with vulnerability. Reflects missiles. 900 range. Strike interval of 1/4s. 2 stacks of vulnerability for 10s per strike.This is essentially the same skill but as a ground targeted AoE that leaves a lightening field.

I've been toying with how to update Dual Wielding. and I thought of the following:

Dual Wielding: Critical strikes from main hand weapons wielded in the offhand have increased effects:OH Sword: Immobilize (1s).OH Mace: Weakness (3s).OH Axe: Vulnerability (3s).OH Dagger: Remove 1 boon.

These effects would only happen with a weapon skill from the offhand is used (i.e. sword 4, sword 5, mace 4, mace 5, axe 4, axe 5, dagger 4, and dagger 5). This is to help push players towards using them, and Arms being the critical strike and condi tree these made sense to me with the condis applied by these weapon sets, and in the case of Dagger, make OH dagger a stronger choice to take in general.

With the above changes to Bladestorm and Dual Wielding, Bladestorm becomes a pseudo WoD, but non mobile and does not keep new boons from being applied, and shorter duration.

Something that is asked for frequently in numerous threads but has not really been brought up here is a Meditations rework and a Meditation trait:

• Loss Aversion: Add in a 20% CD reduction of Meditation skills. Increase coefficient to 0.5.
  • Break Enchantments: Increase base damage to 399, keep scaling as is.
  • Sight Beyond Sight: Update it so that your next three attacks are critical hits, each strike removes blindness prior to the hit.

The combo of changes to Loss Aversion and Break Enchantments helps with damage some, but not greatly. SBS changes help with one of Warrior's glaring weaknesses, blind spam. Nothing too over the top though.

Sorry for the late update, I got busy at home and work and did not have the time for a long post. Let me know your thoughts on Dual Wielding, Bladestorm, and Meditations please. Any other proposals out there? I think this is pretty much close to done.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Replace final thrust with savage slash (gw1 skill), replace flurry with final thrust.

Hmm. Swapping FT and Flurry is enough, particularly if the put more bleed on FT when the foe is above 50%. If we get a new e-spec that gives new F1s of F2s I definitely want the sword one to be a CC based one. If anything I think replacing Riposte with Savage Slash makes more sense than replacing FT though. It times like these that I miss GW1's skill system, there are so many old school skills that would have been amazing to have access to in GW2.

GS: skill 2 HB.....reduce cast time to 3sek, cast while moveskill 4 Bladetrail wider cone, hit multiple targets.... maybe 3Longbow: skill1 Dual shot : Faster projectile spedskill 3 Arcing arrow : become F1, faster projectile speed, more damage for more adrenalineF1 Combustive shot : now skill 3

Should of been done long time ago ........

@Zee.1294 said:GS: skill 2 HB.....reduce cast time to 3sek, cast while moveI think it would either be move while channel, or reduced cast time, not both. And seeing as allowing it to move would require an animation rework I doubt that would happen, which is why I recommended an even shorter cast time up above.skill 4 Bladetrail wider cone, hit multiple targets.... maybe 3This will already hit multiple foes in the line, the issue is that the projectile gets destroyed rather than bounces back when it hits game geometry, which I doubt will ever get fixed.Longbow: skill1 Dual shot : Faster projectile spedKool. Dual Shot is indeed a slow projectile. It was previously recommended to let AA burn by default. We could rework crack shot to increase LB projectile speeds by 20% to replace that function.skill 3 Arcing arrow : become F1, faster projectile speed, more damage for more adrenalineF1 Combustive shot : now skill 3These two I'm ambivalent about. Really Combustive Shot needs to have a 1s interval not a 3s interval pulse.Should of been done long time ago ........Except that warrior apparently is not allowed proper ranged play.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion for an alternative to one of the grand master Defense traits:

Defensive Maneuver: While blocking, block attacks directed at allies within range.

Functionally similar to Guardian mace skill "Protector's strike". Gives warriors some much needed group utility in a very warrior-esque style, and a non selfish reason to pick the defense line. Adds an interesting playstyle with a lot of potential synergy with existing block traits and runes.Anyone remember the original profession hype videos? The one where a warrior blocks a drake's fire breath with his shield. I always pictured protecting my allies behind me with that.

@"Arewn.2368" said:Suggestion for an alternative to one of the grand master Defense traits:

Defensive Maneuver: While blocking, block attacks directed at allies within range.

Functionally similar to Guardian mace skill "Protector's strike". Gives warriors some much needed group utility in a very warrior-esque style, and a non selfish reason to pick the defense line. Adds an interesting playstyle with a lot of potential synergy with existing block traits and runes.Anyone remember the original profession hype videos? The one where a warrior blocks a drake's fire breath with his shield. I always pictured protecting my allies behind me with that.

Thank you for the suggestion. You can certainly body block while using Shield 5 right now just like the promo video. Which Grandmaster would this be the alternative too? Why not replace the might gain on block from Shield Master and replace it with this effect?

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

Thank you for the suggestion. You can certainly body block while using Shield 5 right now just like the promo video. Which Grandmaster would this be the alternative too? Why not replace the might gain on block from Shield Master and replace it with this effect?

I skimped on specifics in order to leave it more open to discussion. But my vision of it would likely replace Last Stand, rolling the stance duration increase into Defy Pain. Or possibly Rousing Resilience since I don't think we need two "anti cc" GMs.

If this is a balance concern, a short ICD can be added on the recipient of the effect which prevents them from receiving the effect again. That said, this isnt all that different from guardians stacking aegis. Riposte and Counter Blow both end after one hit, and shield stance is 3sec duration on 20 sec cd traited. There would obviously be a target cap too.

I think the effect should be balanced as its own independant trait, with the option to also take shield mastery. You can then create a multi trait block build.I also think the might gain on block is an important effect to keep for any sort of build that focuses on blocking. Otherwise they lose too much sustain and damage.

Yes non-piercing projectiles can be body blocked, but not breaths or cleaves of various sorts. I'm fairly certain you can't body block a drake's fire breath, but I'll test when I get home.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

I can already see how broken that would be, just run 5 warriors, be on comms and time 1 block after another.

There s a reason Chronomancer's Well of Precognition was changed from invuln to block. There are ways to get past block.Also, guardians could feasibly stack aegis in the same way. The suggestion is not unlimited blocking for unlimited people. The usual skill restrictions we see commonly used on the game would still apply.

Edit: sorry double post. This was supposed to be at the bottom of my previous post.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@Arewn.2368 said:Suggestion for an alternative to one of the grand master Defense traits:

I can already see how broken that would be, just run 5 warriors, be on comms and time 1 block after another.

It could work with a 1-3s ICD though. Use a block skill to block that Vault for everyone.

@Arewn.2368 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

I skimped on specifics in order to leave it more open to discussion. But my vision of it would likely replace Last Stand, rolling the stance duration increase into Defy Pain. Or possibly Rousing Resilience since I don't think we need two "anti cc" GMs.Shield Master would be a better place, no need for 2 block related traits. Last Stand is due for a rework and will probably just revert to the Stance trait without the Balanced Stance activation, so RR will still have a place.A short ICD can be added on the recipient which prevents them from receiving the effect again if this is a balance concern. That said, this isnt all that different from guardians stacking aegis. Riposte and Counter Blow both end after one hit, and shield stance is 3sec duration on 20 sec cd traited. There would obviously be a target cap too.See my above comment to Smoosh. Riposte and Counter Blow will continue to block ranged atacks and only end if hit with a melee attack currently, so they would block more than once when used versus ranged attacks. To keep it from being overbearing it would have to be once or twice per interval in an AoE on the warrior, otherwise Smoosh is right that 5 warriors on coms would just rotate through Shield 5 as the other 4 DPS'd hard. There is certainly value to providing an AoE block even if its a 1-2s ICD.I think the effect should be balanced as its own independant trait, with the option to also take shield mastery. You can then create a multi trait block build.I also think the might gain on block is an important effect to keep for any sort of build that focuses on blocking. Otherwise they lose too much sustain and damage.The might on block only has meaning now with MMR or MM and I think was the Balance team's hint to the Dev team to rework the trait.Yes non-piercing projectiles can be body blocked, but not breaths or cleaves of various sorts. I'm fairly certain you can't body block a drake's fire breath, but I'll test when I get home.

Depends on if it is an AoE or not. Your suggestion would be great for blocking AoE's though! I'd like it even more if it granted retaliation to those allies as well.