Jump to content
  • Sign Up

The visual appearance of [spoilers]


Recommended Posts

Personally I think Jormag look really cool, regarding the “nose” I feel like the developers were trying to give them a more stereotypical dragon like appearance, at least in the face, typical dragons have long mouths/snouts moving forward away from their face, with the other dragons, their faces were a lot shorter, with Zhaitan and Mordy being kinda undragony and more monstery, Kralkatorrik’s face screamed dragon, but it was sharp/blocky and fairly short. I like the new direction they’re heading in with Jormag, their face is less defined and kinda featureless, pertaining to Jormag being genderless. TLDR: I like the look, and the new direction the developers are headed in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol I hadn’t noticed anything was up with the nose, now it’ll be hard to unsee. I like the dual sets of horns.. tusks? Fangs?

A little sad we couldn’t see a gap where the tooth is missing but it’s not like we stopped to inspect his mouth, we’re not its dentist. Do hope they didn’t forget that and either show it or mention that its look has changed in the last few years

Link to post
Share on other sites

The nose definitely is based on Witches of the Harz (location in Germany), especially around the Brocken/Blocksberg (the mountain most infamous for witches).Cartoon witches usually are based on that same witch design as well.Goblin sharks could also be an inspiration.

I don't think it should have horns and tusks though.They seem to make it harder for her to swim through ice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were mean I would go with a cross between cliche male pauldrons and the Honkers from Sesame Street. Since I am not mean....I don't think the designers were trying to emulate anything but instead, became enamored by the side horns and that pushed them in a direction. Without the muzzle horn, it obviously isn't a nose, don't imagine water dripping from the nose because it clearly is a muzzle horn and not a nose, the overall shape of the head with side horns flattens and doesn't resemble a dragon. Without the side horns, Jormag has a long enough muzzle to look like a dragon but with the side horns they do need a muzzle horn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing Jormag's model outside of the game, the nose looks much better - I guess perspective really warped its appearance:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738075333265326140/SPOILER_utBi35lu.jpghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738092134368018522/SPOILER_jormag_tooth.pnghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738093253668110366/SPOILER_slim.png

Also the Fang of the Serpent is very clearly the upcurved tusk. Doesn't fit perfectly (slightly wider base, different texture design), but it fits very, very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Seeing Jormag's model outside of the game, the nose looks much better - I guess perspective really warped its appearance:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738075333265326140/SPOILER_utBi35lu.jpghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738092134368018522/SPOILER_jormag_tooth.pnghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738093253668110366/SPOILER_slim.png

Also the Fang of the Serpent is very clearly the upcurved tusk. Doesn't fit perfectly (slightly wider base, different texture design), but it fits very, very well.

Which could attribute to Aesgeir smashing the tusk and causing other pieces of it to shatter. It seems pretty damn safe to say that’s where the tooth is from. I mean yeah it’s a tusk, which technically an elongated tooth anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Scraggy.3814" said:Personally I think Jormag look really cool, regarding the “nose” I feel like the developers were trying to give them a more stereotypical dragon like appearance, at least in the face, typical dragons have long mouths/snouts moving forward away from their face, with the other dragons, their faces were a lot shorter, with Zhaitan and Mordy being kinda undragony and more monstery, Kralkatorrik’s face screamed dragon, but it was sharp/blocky and fairly short. I like the new direction they’re heading in with Jormag, their face is less defined and kinda featureless, pertaining to Jormag being genderless. TLDR: I like the look, and the new direction the developers are headed in.

Zhaitan was very draconic. Probably the most "typical" dragon of the lot so far. The thing is his lower jaw is completely gone with a slew of dragon heads and necks emerging from where it should be.

Mordremoth is more of an Eastern Dragon style.

Though I will say I do like that each Elder dragon is distinct and unique from each other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Seeing Jormag's model outside of the game, the nose looks much better - I guess perspective really warped its appearance:

Also the Fang of the Serpent is very clearly the upcurved tusk. Doesn't fit
perfectly
(slightly wider base, different texture design), but it fits very, very well.

Which could attribute to Aesgeir smashing the tusk and causing other pieces of it to shatter. It seems pretty kitten safe to say that’s where the tooth is from. I mean yeah it’s a tusk, which technically an elongated tooth anyways.

Doesn't the fang in hoelbrak have its gum line? That implies a whole tooth was knocked out. Not the tip of another.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Seeing Jormag's model outside of the game, the nose looks much better - I guess perspective really warped its appearance:

Also the Fang of the Serpent is very clearly the upcurved tusk. Doesn't fit
perfectly
(slightly wider base, different texture design), but it fits very, very well.

Which could attribute to Aesgeir smashing the tusk and causing other pieces of it to shatter. It seems pretty kitten safe to say that’s where the tooth is from. I mean yeah it’s a tusk, which technically an elongated tooth anyways.

Doesn't the fang in hoelbrak have its gum line? That implies a whole tooth was knocked out. Not the tip of another.

Yeah the colour of the “gum” is similar to the rest of the colour of the tusk. Perhaps being struck by Aesgeir weapon peeled back some of the ice and exposed the lighter coloured tooth.

Will probably be explained in the guild chat today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Seeing Jormag's model outside of the game, the nose looks much better - I guess perspective really warped its appearance:

Also the Fang of the Serpent is very clearly the upcurved tusk. Doesn't fit
perfectly
(slightly wider base, different texture design), but it fits very, very well.

Which could attribute to Aesgeir smashing the tusk and causing other pieces of it to shatter. It seems pretty kitten safe to say that’s where the tooth is from. I mean yeah it’s a tusk, which technically an elongated tooth anyways.

Doesn't the fang in hoelbrak have its gum line? That implies a whole tooth was knocked out. Not the tip of another.

Yeah the colour of the “gum” is similar to the rest of the colour of the tusk. Perhaps being struck by Aesgeir weapon peeled back some of the ice and exposed the lighter coloured tooth.

Will probably be explained in the guild chat today.

My interpretation is that they're redesigning the "gum" to be a scab that formed when the tooth was broken.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fang of the Serpent is clearly a TOOTH not a tusk, they just simply changed the design, this is not the first time and won't be the last, there is nothing wrong about that. its funny to see all of you trying to reinterpret the obvious.

If we really want to get an answer in lore. better to say the magic he absorbed changes his appearance, just like Primordus. rather than lying to yourself to say the tooth does fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Micky.3648 said:The Fang of the Serpent is clearly a TOOTH not a tusk, they just simply changed the design, this is not the first time and won't be the last, there is nothing wrong about that. its funny to see all of you trying to reinterpret the obvious.

If we really want to get an answer in lore. better to say the magic he absorbed changes his appearance, just like Primordus. rather than lying to yourself to say the tooth does fit.

I don't think anyone has denied that the design has been changed, but it is true that they made the still-whole tusk match the size and general shape of the Fang of the Serpent, so it does fit. Just not perfectly.

Also, Primordus' appearance change has never been canonically attributed to the magic it absorbed, or even be canonically recognized, as nearly everything had changed appearances between GW1 and GW2. Either minorly, like charr losing their shoulder spikes, or majorly, like hydras going from three-headed T-Rexes to becomingthree-headed cobra quadrupeds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be weird for me to say, but is it really odd that Elder Dragons might appear differently over time? Perhaps Jormag did originally have teeth and not tusks but opted to grow the tusks, one of which was his broken tooth as a show of strength to recover from whatever efforts Aesgeir did back then, to show they were fruitless.

Elder Dragons are powerful, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could alter their appearance, especially out of spite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Micky.3648 said:The Fang of the Serpent is clearly a TOOTH not a tusk,A TUSK IS A TOOTH.

Why do people not know this!

I mean even when you look at Jormag’s in game model, his left tusk is clearly damage and is very reminiscent of the fang of the serpent. This seems like a no brainer to me. I was hoping the devs on the guild chat would just confirm as this appears to be the simplest explanation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Seeing Jormag's model outside of the game, the nose looks much better - I guess perspective really warped its appearance:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738075333265326140/SPOILER_utBi35lu.jpghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738092134368018522/SPOILER_jormag_tooth.pnghttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/738093253668110366/SPOILER_slim.png

Also the Fang of the Serpent is very clearly the upcurved tusk. Doesn't fit perfectly (slightly wider base, different texture design), but it fits very, very well.

Any indications of size comparison between Jormag and other ED's from the model?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sykper.6583 said:It might be weird for me to say, but is it really odd that Elder Dragons might appear differently over time? Perhaps Jormag did originally have teeth and not tusks but opted to grow the tusks, one of which was his broken tooth as a show of strength to recover from whatever efforts Aesgeir did back then, to show they were fruitless.

Elder Dragons are powerful, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could alter their appearance, especially out of spite.

I mean, let's look at Aurene as an example of this.

First she appeared pretty flat-faced, sharing many traits with Mordremoth facially wise, alongside a squat body. When she absorbed Balthazar she grew a fair bit, her facial structure changing. As she got more power she grew more crystals/glowed.

When she ascended to Elder Dragon status, her entire skull shape changed drastically again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@Sykper.6583 said:It might be weird for me to say, but is it
really odd
that Elder Dragons might appear differently over time? Perhaps Jormag did originally have teeth and not tusks but opted to grow the tusks, one of which was his broken tooth as a show of strength to recover from whatever efforts Aesgeir did back then, to show they were fruitless.

Elder Dragons are powerful, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could alter their appearance, especially out of spite.

I mean, let's look at Aurene as an example of this.

First she appeared pretty flat-faced, sharing many traits with Mordremoth facially wise, alongside a squat body. When she absorbed Balthazar she grew a fair bit, her facial structure changing. As she got more power she grew more crystals/glowed.

When she ascended to Elder Dragon status, her entire skull shape changed drastically again.

Counter argument: Aurene was growing from baby to adult, the Elder Dragons are all fully-grown.

While it certainly is plausible that the Elder Dragons could evolve over 200 years (or 250 years for Primordus), Aurene's not a good example because her appearances are part of her puberty, whereas the Elder Dragons are all full grown adults.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...