best class according to you

avexysv.9314

There cannot be a single best class for everything,, if there would be one, it would be rebalanced till it isn't 😉

So choosing the right class for the task to do gives the best results.

I think a thief would complement your collection of classes best. A thief switching Daredevil and Deadeye builds between fights is very versatile and the option of stealth adds even more.

Edited by Dayra.7405

WELL, YOU ASKED FOR IT...

You've heard from people who have taken this whole thing seriously, now let me (a regular but very poor player who's been sucking consistently since 2014, wouldn't ever consider even doing a "rotation" (that just sounds like the most boring way to play) and only really enjoys the open world PVE) rank all professions from best to worst from a PvE scrub point of view.

1. Necromancer (in particular, Reaper).

Reaper is easy mode. It just is. Currently my main is a signet Reaper clumsily optimized to spend as much time in shroud as possible. Press 4 and see everything melt. It's immensely satisfying but even seems too much on occasion. The only class with which I don't ask myself the question "should I solo this champ or is it too much of a hassle?", I just do it and win. I've got a minion master core Necro as well (don't ask why it's not a Reaper... okay, you may ask but I can't promise to answer) which is a bit more finicky but still easy mode.

2. Guardian

Core guardian with Sword and Shield was one of my previous mains, it was cheesy fun until Retaliation got nerfed and I could no longer just completely IGNORE precision and still crit 100% of the time, most of the time. It was a shout build with boon duration maxxed to +100% and I enjoyed helping others at least to some degree (Necro chars mentioned above are selfish as heck and sometimes that makes me feel a bit guilty). Never got on with the elite specs though as ground-targeted skills are my kryptonite and being able to insta-cast all my virtues was something that I enjoyed way too much. Elite specs might be great for a more skilled player but I just found DH's versions (particularly 2, screw that ground-targeted nonsense) and especially FB's tomes a massive unfun chore.

3. Warrior

I only really got into core Warrior once ANet reworked it to heal on Might application (two traits, Carl! TWO TRAITS) and heal allies on shouts. It's one of my favorite alts, I really enjoy hopping around on it constantly healing myself and others, dodge rolling into groups of mobs for a free heal and damage from that one trait, waving the GS around and slicing through crowds with GS3... it's just really really fun to play for me. Gets more tedious than Reaper because DPS is lower but still, can't argue with "it's fun". Tried condi Berserker at some point, it didn't stick at all. Tried Spellbreaker, it was kinda meh. Core works for me.

4. Engineer

A nostalgic favorite if nothing else. My oldest surviving character is an engi (Scrapper) and I still play it occasionally. It's a special case anyway cause that character was a HIGH CONCEPT one and does nothing but camp Flamethrower and drink elixirs. And while yeah, perma-stability is nice, the elixir tool belt skills are clunky as all heck and are in dire need of an update (especially underwater, they're TERRIBLE underwater) and there's entirely too many ground-targeted skills (*shakes fist*) for me to feel like I'm doing as well as could be expected from someone like me. I might be an awful scrub but even I don't particularly want to just spam autoattack until everything dies.

5. Ranger

Ranger is just... okay. I have a Soulbeast alt that barely gets used. I could play it more often but I just... don't. I don't enjoy Longbow at all, GS is fluid and somewhat fun but I've got a Warrior fulfilling that need. I genuinely like Shortbow as a concept but I don't have a condi build because SB as it is just feels too weak. If it got the ammo treatment and got buffed in PvE across the board, I could see myself trying it out again. Currently though? Meh.

6. Thief

I really want to like Thief. Actually, scratch that, I really like Thief but I'm not good enough at it. As a general concept, Deadeye is my favorite thing in the dang game and staff Daredevil is somewhere near the top as well. But I am too bad at Thief to play it effectively and that is why I can never really enjoy this profession fully. Also, I love the idea of Venoms but I hate the fact that the trait for them is in Shadow Arts for some reason where it doesn't really synergize with anything, and I can't justify taking the spec JUST FOR ONE TRAIT while sacrificing all the good stuff from other specs, and at the same time, it feels... wrong to focus on venoms without taking the trait. I've got latent OCD, gimme a break.

7. Revenant

I only made minor attempts at Revenant and they've all left me unsatisfied. Long story short, you can't escape ground-targeted skills on Revenant (at least when it comes to ranged options) and the class in general felt clunky as heck to me from the very start, and despite the edges having been smoothed, still feels somewhat clunky now.

8. Elementalist

Did I mention that I'm bad at the game? The only time I played Ele to some degree of satisfaction was on my Tempest alt that just camps Fire and melts stuff to bits. However, survivability was a major issue, I couldn't dream of soloing most champs in the open world, and that soured me on Ele. Piano-playing Ele mains, I salute you.

9. Mesmer

How do you even Mesmer? One of my earliest GW2 memories is that of a Staff Mesmer alt FAILING TO GET BRONZE on the Fire Elemental WB event despite definitely hitting it a lot but with DPS so low, it wasn't enough somehow! A lot has changed since then and I'm not nearly as crap (but still crap), but I still regularly forget that you're supposed to shatter and whatnot. Everything just feels so... weak on Mesmer for me, and while I made some attempts at getting better at the class, the feeling persisted. Love the idea behind the profession but feel terrible playing it.

P.S. A lot of this was somewhat tongue-in-cheek (for instance, I know that I can do some open world stuff better than other forumites complaining about not being able to beat some challenges that I found trivial) but essentially true. I had a lot of time on my hands. Cue the O_o emotes, this post was made for them. Thank you.

• Confused 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:57 AM, SeTect.5918 said:

I think nearly all classes can do nearly all roles when Eod drops.

Ele - Condi dps, Power dps, healer/boon-aura support
Revenant - Healer, alac-support, condi dps, power dps, boon support
Guardian - quickness-support, healer + boon support, power dps, condi dps
Ranger - Healer + boon support, Spirit support, condi dps, power dps
Engi - Healer + boon support, quickness-support, condi dps, power dps
Warrior - Power dps, condi dps, Banners
Thief - Power dps, condi dps
Mesmer - Quickness-support, alac-support, Condi dps, power dps
Necro - Healer (Barrier), condi dps, power dps

What roles do classes get with Eod?

Ele - (Power dps), quickness-support /// (Maybe condi dps)
Revenant - (Power dps) /// maybe also a supportive option
Guardian - (Condi dps), (Power dps) /// maybe alac-support
Ranger - (Power dps)
Engi - Condi dps, (Power dps), alac-support
Warrior - (power dps)
Thief - Condi dps, alac-support, 1 target quickness-support, healer
Mesmer - (Condi dps), (Power dps)
Necro - (Condi dps), (Power dps), quickness-support

I strikethroughed some words because these are already existing roles for the class with lots of traits for the roles in the e specs. For engineer and thief I didnt mark the "condi dps" because they have no real condi dps e specs. Means that for example condi holo or condi daredevil/deadeye get nerfs after Eod because then they get proper condi specs.

I also didnt mention tank builds as you can see.
The classes are not sorted by "who can do the most". Because we all know ele wouldnt be on top of the list.

I think this list is pretty accurate and as you can see, aside from warrior all classes get a lot of new roles.
For example thief which had just power or condi dps gets a looot of stuff.

(This list is PvE only)

I also disagree with thief dominating pvp/wvw. WvW maybe but I wouldnt say pvp bc most thieves r just capturers and nothing more. They r also not dominating there.
However putting thief on place 3 just bc of that I find pretty strange.

As an engi main i have to also say that it has a lot of roles yes, but i wouldnt list it on par with guardian because quickness/heal-scrapper is nearly only used raids. Guardian (Firebrand) you can find almost everywhere. Every raid, strike and fractal group has one. They are also not uncommon to see in open world.

when i say all roles, i mean ALL literally, all, including pvp/wvw/open world builds variation and playability uptimes in the pasts.

1 hour ago, felix.2386 said:

when i say all roles, i mean ALL literally, all, including pvp/wvw/open world builds variation and playability uptimes in the pasts.

Tho revenant isnt that good in wvw and pvp. Its fine but not very good. Especially after may 11 2021 patch with the resistance nerf.

When you say which class your think is best you shouldnt say for example...ele bc it was good years ago.

Its like the people coming up with "scourge was bad when pof was released" when you said that scourge is too good.

We are talking about what is NOW and not what was ages ago.

Whatever I am done with that topic tbh. I respect your opinion and i will disappear again. I am tired today. have a nice day xD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Tho revenant isnt that good in wvw and pvp. Its fine but not very good. Especially after may 11 2021 patch with the resistance nerf.

When you say which class your think is best you shouldnt say for example...ele bc it was good years ago.

Its like the people coming up with "scourge was bad when pof was released" when you said that scourge is too good.

We are talking about what is NOW and not what was ages ago.

Whatever I am done with that topic tbh. I respect your opinion and i will disappear again. I am tired today. have a nice day xD

Warrior is best because of this reasoning too:

Drools at images of 20k full counters

Drools at images of 10k break enchantment

“It wasn’t OP, I swear!”

Engineers are clearly the best.  We have grenades, rocket launchers in our belts, lightsabers, rocket boots, laser cannons, shields, all assortment of headgear and goggles, bombs, stealth gyros.. and soon giant golems.

I mean Jesus, the only reason anyone survives an encounter with an engineer is because of "game balance"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:41 PM, Dayra.7405 said:

There cannot be a single best class for everything,, if there would be one, it would be rebalanced till it isn't 😉

So choosing the right class for the task to do gives the best results.

I think a thief would complement your collection of classes best. A thief switching Daredevil and Deadeye builds between fights is very versatile and the option of stealth adds even more.

I would disagree.

Necromancer is a Solid Option for every Mode

Core necro and Reaper are meta in SPVP Modes.

Scourge is Meta in WvWvW Modes.

Scourge is Meta in Fractal / Raid Modes.

Reaper Is one of the Strongest proffessions in Solo enviroments.

Theres no 1 build is the best at everything no. but theres proffessions that are defintly among the best for everything if u flex their builds abit.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

I would disagree.

Necromancer is a Solid Option for every Mode

But the opener said: "i have mesmer, necro, ranger, guardian."

Do you recommend him to make a 2nd necro, instead of a 5th class?

Edited by Dayra.7405

28 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

But the opener said: "i have mesmer, necro, ranger, guardian."

Do you recommend him to make a 2nd necro, instead of a 5th class?

well no.

but Revenant is also a Proffession thats Strong in Every game Mode.

Revenant:

WvWvW Renegade

SPVP Herald

Raids Renegade

Fractal Renegade

and is Equal to necromancer in solo potiental with renegade builds

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1