Why are weapons tied to Elite Specs?

@TexZero.7910 said:While not out of the realm of possibilities, it doesn't fit with the initial premise of 1 new weapon per elite spec. Now, i do concede that spellbreaker broke that mold already and could very well be the groundbreaker needed for them to continue to break the mold futher, too which i'd have no problem. But as it stands i don't think anyone can argue 1 new weapon per spec isn't sustainable and will eventually have to be looked at be it re-using weapons, not giving new weapons, or some form in-between.

This is then a debate that I'm sure has been happening since elite specs were revealed, because it immediately became clear that there's no way weapons can't be reused for future elite specs in the same class because warrior. People have, from the very beginning, seen the vast disparity between engineer and warriors in terms of the number of weapons they have access to and compared it to the elite spec model. While the initial premise was "new weapons", it's in the context of having never been done before, and nobody is truly blind to the possibility that weapons will have to be reused or new weapons entirely would need to be added. And you don't want to exactly mar the new shiny thing by saying "at some point in the far off future we'll probably need to reuse weapons", however open communication at any point after the announcement (or even after getting our hands on the first set of elite specs) should have been done to assure players that it's in their mind. It's here that the devs failed I think in terms of communication, though it can also be said that since it's such a far off thing, the devs don't really have to think about it just yet.

Some communication from anet would be appreciated at the very least.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:don't want to ask them to reinvent the wheel just because there is possibly a road bump at some point after the car might explode.

So instead of thinking long term you'd rather avoid it entirely. under the guise of catastrophic system failure ?Glad to see you at least admit there's a flaw with the current status quo and that the model isn't sustainable and will need to be looked into before long! That's all i was saying to begin with.

It is sustainable for as long as it is needed. You can extend that sustainability by reusing old weapons and giving them new skills (a ranged throwing dagger in 8 years, for example).

If you're worried about flaws in the system you should worry that Anet has no plan for the sun exploding, what will happen to warrior weapon choice when the earth is vapourised?! You have a flair for the dramatic and a desire to be correct but you're far too worried about a problem that will kick in after we all stop playing the game.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:don't want to ask them to reinvent the wheel just because there is possibly a road bump at some point after the car might explode.

So instead of thinking long term you'd rather avoid it entirely. under the guise of catastrophic system failure ?Glad to see you at least admit there's a flaw with the current status quo and that the model isn't sustainable and will need to be looked into before long! That's all i was saying to begin with.

It is sustainable for as long as it is needed. You can extend that sustainability by reusing old weapons and giving them new skills (a ranged throwing dagger in 8 years, for example).

If you're worried about flaws in the system you should worry that Anet has no plan for the sun exploding, what will happen to warrior weapon choice when the earth is vapourised?! You have a flair for the dramatic and a desire to be correct but you're far too worried about a problem that will kick in after we all stop playing the game.

I don't think anything i've said was dramatic. I'm merely debating the core design flaws with eSpecs. I'm sorry that you cannot handle that and i deeply regret that you've become so upset about me bringing up those flaws that you've resorted to attempting to attack my character rather than the issue at large.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@TexZero.7910 said:While not out of the realm of possibilities, it doesn't fit with the initial premise of 1 new weapon per elite spec. Now, i do concede that spellbreaker broke that mold already and could very well be the groundbreaker needed for them to continue to break the mold futher, too which i'd have no problem. But as it stands i don't think anyone can argue 1 new weapon per spec isn't sustainable and will eventually have to be looked at be it re-using weapons, not giving new weapons, or some form in-between.

This is then a debate that I'm sure has been happening since elite specs were revealed, because it immediately became clear that there's no way weapons can't be reused for future elite specs in the same class because warrior. People have, from the very beginning, seen the vast disparity between engineer and warriors in terms of the number of weapons they have access to and compared it to the elite spec model. While the initial premise was "new weapons", it's in the context of having never been done before, and nobody is truly blind to the possibility that weapons will have to be reused or new weapons entirely would need to be added. And you don't want to exactly mar the new shiny thing by saying "at some point in the far off future we'll probably need to reuse weapons", however open communication at any point after the announcement (or even after getting our hands on the first set of elite specs) should have been done to assure players that it's in their mind. It's here that the devs failed I think in terms of communication, though it can also be said that since it's such a far off thing, the devs don't really have to think about it just yet.

Some communication from anet would be appreciated at the very least.

I would hope they have been, like i said this issue might not be something as immediate as to need a fully function system by next patch but no design model ever is. They're always long term iterative processes and i hope eSpecs have more pleasant surprise in store as well. Some insight from anyone on the design team about this would be nice be it the sustainability or thoughts on re-using existing weapons and how that might also be a concern when it comes to being able to distinguish one spec from another without relying on UI elements.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:To control balance and give each spec a unique playstyle and feel. This is a good system.

The trait line itself is already unique and offers different playstyles. A weapon doesn't make anything unique.

@Coulter.2315 said:To control balance and give each spec a unique playstyle and feel. This is a good system.

The trait line itself is already unique and offers different playstyles. A weapon doesn't make anything unique.

Nonsense. Tell me that Chrono tank would be a thing without shield.

Well maybe they should look at the weapon and if its too powerful, nerf it? Chrono is the most powerful mes trait line, anything can be good on it.

Archived