Weapon Dye

So this has been bothering me for quite some time... Backpack dye and weapon dye why aren't they available???

I bought the entire daydreamer set along with the wings and weapons but it forces me to use default color to look apart.. if I dye the armor the rest of the set just looks REALLY OFF! which is quite annoy. Why can't the dev let us dye the weapon and back pieces? Seriously I literally have to change my outfit to certain color just to match my weapon and wings which is annoy.

We are giving bunch of customization weapon skins and such huge color palette but we can barely use it because majority of the color doesn't sync up with the default weapon skin color or the backpack color!!!

Please fix this! it has been YEARS!!!! stop wasting time making bunch of weapon skins because I'm NOT gonna buy them ANYMORE unless I have the ability to dye them!!! :/

Theyve said many times they will not be adding this because it is a phenomenal amount of work which apparently would also create a massive patch

It’s not a case of fixing it because it had to be designed from the start and that’s why backpacks aren’t retro actively dyable either. Instead we have sets themed around a specific palette or sets in multi colours (eg sab)

The sheer volume of skins existing means this is something you will have to live without.

Well if we can’t dye normal weapon due to HUGE amount of work at least give us the ability to dye legendary weapon and backpack!!!! It’s not like they released that much backpack or legendary weapons lol. I see they put the ability to dye the free cloak we are given meaning they can choose for specific item to be dyed Surely can’t be thattt much trouble to give us the option to dye our legendary weapon we work so hard for.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Well if we can’t dye normal weapon due to HUGE amount of work at least give us the ability to dye legendary weapon and backpack!!!! It’s not like they released that much backpack or legendary weapons lol. I see they put the ability to dye the free cloak we are given meaning they can choose for specific item to be dyed Surely can’t be thattt much trouble to give us the option to dye our legendary weapon we work so hard for.

If I can dye my legendary weapons... I would be so happy. Their color scheme never works for the look I am going for.

It was a thing in Gw1 but Gw2 is way way too far along to add something like this with a backlog.

As Randulf said, it would be far to big a task to add something like this now... and tbh it's honestly not worth it.

There maybe an argument for a possible dyable new set of legendary weapons or something.. but other than something very exclusive/high end like that it's never going to happen nor would it be worth it tbh.

For context, the dev quote is pasted below

...the decision to dye armor but not weapons was a design one (in the sense we chose to do it, not that there were insurmountable technical issues), and made pretty early.

- We wanted a much richer dye system for GW2 than we had in GW1.- This would require some changes to the way that the source art was authored, which increased the complexity (and thus time) of doing so.- That additional complexity pays off best for armor, which is more visible on-screen than weapons generally are,- and so (I think) it was decided that we wouldn't bother authoring dye support into the weapon art.- Eventually this decision would have led to code changes or optimization relying on that assumption, and we arrive at where we are today.

As with all things, it could be made possible to dye weapons with sufficient code and art resources sunk into it. But it would be a nontrivial undertaking (and probably a non-trivial patch download!) to re-author all the existing source art with appropriate metadata for dye channels.

In short it is possible, but also isn't going to happen. I don't think legendaries would look very good withy player chosen colours either. I mean Twilight coloured lipstick pink or electric blue would be an abomination and hardly worthy of the name

@Josiah.2967 said:

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Well if we can’t dye normal weapon due to HUGE amount of work at least give us the ability to dye legendary weapon and backpack!!!! It’s not like they released that much backpack or legendary weapons lol. I see they put the ability to dye the free cloak we are given meaning they can choose for specific item to be dyed Surely can’t be thattt much trouble to give us the option to dye our legendary weapon we work so hard for.

If I can dye my legendary weapons... I would be so happy. Their color scheme never works for the look I am going for.

I know it's not for everyone, but dyeing a toon's armor to go with the Legendary instead of the other way around can be beautiful. I dyed my Elem's armor to go with The Bifrost and have literally had people do double-takes and tell me how pretty she looks. If I ever make Frostfang I'm going to do the same thing, lots of inspiration on GW2Style. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, just an idea.

Essentially what it comes down to is that items need to be designed with dye channels in mind.

Items that currently don't have dye channels, would need to be remade so that they would. Essentially meaning that adding dyes to weapons would require remaking literally every single weapon in the game. To say nothing of the various colour palette swaps that constitute "New" weapons (Seraph vs Golden Seraph for example. Though the most notable concern would be the Super Adventure Box weapons where the standard ones are Blue but the ones obtained through doing difficult achievements/RNG are coloured Red, Yellow or Green)

As far as Backpacks and Legendaries only goes...

Backpacks could be possible. There's not too many backpacks that were released before they started adding dye channels to them.

Legendaries, I'm not so sure about. In many cases, their colour scheme is part of their design - For example, Sunrise and Twilight are supposed to be mirrors of the sky so it'd be wierd if they were dyed hot pink or verdant green...

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I know it's not for everyone, but dyeing a toon's armor to go with the Legendary instead of the other way around can be beautiful. I dyed my Elem's armor to go with The Bifrost and have literally had people do double-takes and tell me how pretty she looks. If I ever make Frostfang I'm going to do the same thing, lots of inspiration on GW2Style. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, just an idea.

That’s literally what I’m doing right now and it’s quite annoy because I’m stuck with the same color forever due to the fact I only have nevermore..and there ain’t much color to play with... So it’s very frustrating lol

@Randulf.7614 said:For context, the dev quote is pasted below

...the decision to dye armor but not weapons was a design one (in the sense we chose to do it, not that there were insurmountable technical issues), and made pretty early.

- We wanted a much richer dye system for GW2 than we had in GW1.- This would require some changes to the way that the source art was authored, which increased the complexity (and thus time) of doing so.- That additional complexity pays off best for armor, which is more visible on-screen than weapons generally are,- and so (I think) it was decided that we wouldn't bother authoring dye support into the weapon art.- Eventually this decision would have led to code changes or optimization relying on that assumption, and we arrive at where we are today.

As with all things, it could be made possible to dye weapons with sufficient code and art resources sunk into it. But it would be a nontrivial undertaking (and probably a non-trivial patch download!) to re-author all the existing source art with appropriate metadata for dye channels.

In short it is possible, but also isn't going to happen. I don't think legendaries would look very good withy player chosen colours either. I mean Twilight coloured lipstick pink or electric blue would be an abomination and hardly worthy of the name

Haha I would argue Twilight is already an abomination as is Sunrise XDBut yea I know what you mean lol

I was thinking more about a new set of dyable Legends rather than reworking the old ones though, but generally I don't think this being a feature is worth bringing into the game.. I agree with the devs choosing not to invest in this one.Resources definitely better spent elsewhere ^^

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Taril.8619 said:Backpacks could be possible. There's not too many backpacks that were released before they started adding dye channels to them.I believe that the devs have stated that they will not be going back to make earlier backpacks dyeable.

I remember something like that being said too, it's understandable although I do admit I am disappointed that they likely won't go back and upgrade some of the older wings to have flapping animations.The Bat Wings would look amazing with flap flaps but I doubt it'll ever happen.. :(