Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Please add option to turn off others' skyscales


Recommended Posts

The skyscales are normally okay, except when there is a meta and a huge amount of people on them, e.g. sitting above the reset leyline anomaly waiting until the anomaly becomes attack-able, also the Treasure Hunt in the festival).

It's bad enough having all the player effects without skyscale wings flapping up and down all over my screen. Decreasing visual distance quality settings has no effect because they are flapping where the fights are occurring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hesione.9412 said:The skyscales are normally okay, except when there is a meta and a huge amount of people on them, e.g. sitting above the reset leyline anomaly waiting until the anomaly becomes attack-able, also the Treasure Hunt in the festival).

It's bad enough having all the player effects without skyscale wings flapping up and down all over my screen. Decreasing visual distance quality settings has no effect because they are flapping where the fights are occurring.

This is an old complaint and anet doesn't care. It would be nice but i guess people need to be allowed to flaunt their wannabe dragon, even though it makes the game less enjoyable for others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:The skyscales are normally okay, except when there is a meta and a huge amount of people on them, e.g. sitting above the reset leyline anomaly waiting until the anomaly becomes attack-able, also the Treasure Hunt in the festival).

It's bad enough having all the player effects without skyscale wings flapping up and down all over my screen. Decreasing visual distance quality settings has no effect because they are flapping where the fights are occurring.

This is an old complaint and anet doesn't care. It would be nice but i guess people need to be allowed to flaunt their wannabe dragon, even though it makes the game less enjoyable for others.

The same could be said about a lot of character effects, really. This is not a skyscale-only thing. /shrug

Link to post
Share on other sites

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:The skyscales are normally okay, except when there is a meta and a huge amount of people on them, e.g. sitting above the reset leyline anomaly waiting until the anomaly becomes attack-able, also the Treasure Hunt in the festival).

It's bad enough having all the player effects without skyscale wings flapping up and down all over my screen. Decreasing visual distance quality settings has no effect because they are flapping where the fights are occurring.

This is an old complaint and anet doesn't care. It would be nice but i guess people need to be allowed to flaunt their wannabe dragon, even though it makes the game less enjoyable for others.

The same could be said about a lot of character effects, really. This is not a skyscale-only thing. /shrug

Could be said and has been said.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the flapping is really annoying. Any kind of repetitive motion like that gets on my nerves (gifs and quickly changing adverts on websites are the worst, because it makes it really hard to focus on the text) so I always try to position myself where I can't see it, which sometimes means standing away from the group or in a corner with the camera zoomed in, which of course isn't ideal when an event is about to start.

If for some reason I think it's necessary to be on my skyscale waiting for an event I make sure I'm high enough up and/or far enough from any terrain that the flapping could only be in someone's way if they're also on a skyscale (in which case I assume they don't mind, especially since they have all the rest of the airspace to move around in) and then use a big menu to cover the skyscale (or if there's enough time I open my web browser in front of the game). Once you're used to using the wall jump ability it's not hard to get far enough up to be out the way but it does mean it takes longer to get back down when the action starts. Although if I'm waiting on my skyscale that means I'm expecting to have to move away from the starting point anyway. I do it for things like the holoprojectors during Dragon Bash where I know roughly where some will spawn but not exactly, and then the extra height is helpful to allow me to go in a straight diagonal line to the right location.

For things like the treasure hunt I'll use the skyscale because it really is the easiest way to do it, but I won't mount up until the event actually starts. For whatever reason it doesn't bother me as much then - I think it's the repetition which gets on my nerves and the combination of actually moving around so they're not just doing the same thing over and over and the fact that there's so many skyscales going in all directions breaks it up so it doesn't irritate me.

(I'm not actually sure why repetitive motions bother me, but considering many websites, web browers and things like Discord have started adding 'reduced motion' options as an accessibility feature I guess I'm not alone with this.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the ones far away from me, it's the ones right in front of me, or inside my character polygons, or above or below me that are causing the problems. Especially when environmental polygons cause me to have sudden angle changes (and look through my mount) having the damn wings flappy flappy is migraine-inducing. Pretty much, when it's like that, I can't see their gemstore mount skin anyways.

It's just the mounts, probably because they have the most motion associated with their non-movement. Skimmers turn, raptors lie down, griffons don't really do anything on the ground, springer looks from side to side. Bloody skyscales are the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hesione.9412 said:It's not the ones far away from me, it's the ones right in front of me, or inside my character polygons, or above or below me that are causing the problems. Especially when environmental polygons cause me to have sudden angle changes (and look through my mount) having the kitten wings flappy flappy is migraine-inducing. Pretty much, when it's like that, I can't see their gemstore mount skin anyways.

It's just the mounts, probably because they have the most motion associated with their non-movement. Skimmers turn, raptors lie down, griffons don't really do anything on the ground, springer looks from side to side. Bloody skyscales are the problem.

Im not sure it is possible to turn off viewing other mounts let alone a specific one, given mounts are a sort of morphing of the character itself. Short of being able to turn off other characters altogether, im not sure if a solution could be made

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't mind it too much apart from stuff like casino blitz or the treasure hunt.They could just add on a bit more to the character model limit option by adding another option that removes all characters apart from the player. This would fix those problems at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:It's not the ones far away from me, it's the ones right in front of me, or inside my character polygons, or above or below me that are causing the problems. Especially when environmental polygons cause me to have sudden angle changes (and look through my mount) having the kitten wings flappy flappy is migraine-inducing. Pretty much, when it's like that, I can't see their gemstore mount skin anyways.

It's just the mounts, probably because they have the most motion associated with their non-movement. Skimmers turn, raptors lie down, griffons don't really do anything on the ground, springer looks from side to side. Bloody skyscales are the problem.

Im not sure it is possible to turn off viewing other mounts let alone a specific one, given mounts are a sort of morphing of the character itself. Short of being able to turn off other characters altogether, im not sure if a solution could be made

Maybe they could do something like the standard models in PvP where it replaces players on a skyscale with a default model that doesn't flap? It would look weird, but might be preferable for people who find the motion problematic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going down this route, anet would have to keep adding replacement models for pretty much anything that might annoy some player at some point.

Some people don't like me constantly launching fireworks either when standing in zergs, but they dont seem to mind those 100+ flashy skill effects blowing all over the place during combat at all.

I think the real problem is that people get bored because they choose to stand around in piles of people and that makes them find things to get annoyed at.If youre one of these folks who cant ignore stuff on the screen, I suggest scrolling into fps camera and staring down, or moving a few meters from the pile of people.That should spare peoples eyes from seeing drägöns.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Randulf.7614 said:If you lower number of characters seen, most will vanish because they fly out of the draw distance for characters

The flying itself is not a problem for me, only when they park it on top of people. Especially when i'm just sleeping or sitting there and they come in and park right on top of me and/or other people. Even if they simply landed on me, it wouldn't be such a problem. It's really just the dumb flapping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CashCow.9548 said:Agreed. I wish we had chance to disable other people because I feel they break my immersion into this game and they are just annoying overall while doing their thing ON MY SCREEN.

In fact, I just wish they'd turn this into a single player game.

Yes, wanting one model change implemented is just like playing a single-player game. Thank you for pointing out the far-reaching repercussions of this suggestion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Terra.9506 said:My real problem with Skyscale seem to be performance issue when many of them on screen at same time, more so than glider and other mount.

I believe that some people are intentionally trying to troll others with performance issues by hovering right above others waiting on meta events. Lots fo them were around during the world boss rush.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we could turn off mount models completely in cities, they hide npcs and other players so you can't admire fashion wars and sometimes there is so many mounts in once place that I can't even see where my character is standing.

When I play with low models settings there is still many people on mounts visible. Why not prioritise rendering people without mounts when you're playing on low? I even feel like the game prioritises rendering people with mounts over people without them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...