Skimmer Advanced Course in Lion's Arch is bugged

@"Marn the wanderer.4230" said:Just wanted to add my name to the list of "tried that and it didn't work for me either". Hopefully this will be fixed very soon.

Same here. Even tried perma swiftness and swimming and it's just impossible for me. All these people like "Oh it's easy actually" and then listing this whole spoof of text when really the race shouldn't delete your dive skill in the first place. Waiting for the update (whenever that comes).

I have a feeling part of it is multiple people doing the time trial at the same time. I'd be mounted and about to start moving with the dive skill on my bar and then someone else would move through a checkpoint. My "adventure" would then reset and I'd lose the dive ability.

I am also one of those people who has tried multiple "fixes" only to still lose silver with four checkpoints (including finish line) to go.

ALSO. I can understand time-gating or gold-blocking. But a time trial is RIDICULOUS for a mount mastery. It's not everyone's cup of tea (like pvp or wvw) nor can some players easily do them. Not without handing their account over to someone else to do, and that takes the fun out of playing the game.

The reason some people struggle to complete it on silver using just movement skills is because lag affects movement slightly, but it adds up over time. To see this, complete the Skimmer Race in Labyrinthine Cliffs. You'll notice that people get ahead of you even though Skimmer has no speed skills and its physically impossible to move any faster on it.

If you have a mild to moderate ping, better just wait for them to fix it instead of stressing.

how i got the adventure done:

First of all, use a thief daredevil, use the middle trait at the end that gives you swiftness and constant dodge in water, Secondly TAP the space bar when on your skimmer but do not hold it, that shaman has confirmed you gain a 6% speed boost if you do this, with these tips.... I managed to nearly get gold without the skimmer dive ability, i hope this helps.

I heard the swim speed infusions can help too but i wasn't going to go out my way to spend gold or grind to get a high swim infusion.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@BadHealer.3608 said:How about they just show us how they mange to do this when testing this? Will be great to see this race gods. How about the next Boss will be killable only by a weapon that you get after killing him? That will be so much fun.

The issue is due to a bug. A bug that wasn't present in their testing environment.Yes, the bug is happening when more than one person is trying the race (the box that takes your dive skill away will appear, when an other person is starting the race). Who would expect that more than one person in L.A. want to play the only new contend that we got? I would suggest that we make a time table and allow only one person to do the race at a time. If we use a time window of 5 minutes for each person around 288 person can do the race each day. So each year over 100.000 people can do the race, if all other people will stop and don't attempted the race, till there time window is there. Sounds like the prefect reasonable thing to do in a MMO.

@tazzannl.5016 said:how i got the adventure done:

First of all, use a thief daredevil, use the middle trait at the end that gives you swiftness and constant dodge in water, Secondly TAP the space bar when on your skimmer but do not hold it, that shaman has confirmed you gain a 6% speed boost if you do this, with these tips.... I managed to nearly get gold without the skimmer dive ability, i hope this helps.

I heard the swim speed infusions can help too but i wasn't going to go out my way to spend gold or grind to get a high swim infusion.

Thanks this finally worked for me after trying many different classes and builds. I also used Endurance regen food.

ArenaNet: Is there an update on when the Skimmer Adventure in Lion's Arch will be fixed? I just checked it out and it is still an issue. It is blocking progression to dive mastery completion. Pretty disappointing that y'all are not communicating with players re: this issue. Can understand the game bug may take some time to fix - can't understand why ArenaNet are silent regarding it. Please respond here & on Twitter.

@def.9562 said:To give a more detailed walkthrough of the work-around:

1. Talk to NPC, start the race by pressing the Play button.
  2. As soon as you mount the skimmer, you'll see the C ability pop up. Press and hold C (Default keybind. DO NOT LET GO).
  3. The adventure window will pop-up after a few seconds, keep holding C and close the pop-up with the Close button. If you see gold and silver badges in your boons as well as checkpoints ahead of you, you're still technically in the race.
  4. Proceed through the checkpoints while holding C, there will be one checkpoint underwater during which you have to keep holding C down as you surface back on land.
  5. After a few more checkpoints you reach the main underwater section of the race, here you can let go of C. (Note: you have to stay underwater from now on)
  6. Continue the race until the finish line.

Good luck

Can confirm this works. It takes a little time to get it working. Once u go underwater make sure you dont surface anymore, as you will be unable to dive again. Once u get familiar with the gates/checkpoints, silver is easily possible.

I managed to complete it as a necromancer, and having a +20% swim infusion, using spectral walk when underwater for the big speedboost. And once you get near the path on land near the end, use the raptor and bond of vigor, so you can rapidly do the leaps towards the goal. Managed it with 1second to spare. Though I aborted many attempts because of getting slightly off a checkpoint, as it must be perfectly executed. But at last succeeded with barely 1second left for silver.

• Race auto-fails immediately. Sometimes it dismounts me from the advanced skimmer, sometimes it doesn't.
  • When it doesn't dismount me, I can see the gates to proceed, but the fail window is still in the way of my view. So I close that window and go until the first point where I need to dive, but I can't dive. So I dismount and try to swim. I can still see the gates.
  • Several of the gates are buggy and won't immediately give credit, causing me to have to circle back.
  • When I finally get to the end and hit the gold gate, the race doesn't end; the lap just resets. The gates are still up, and I get no credit or achievement completion or anything.

Way to go, Anet. This is why you need a public test server.

Holding down c doesn't work because I go underwater before the parts I have to go over land, IDK how to keep it held to the underwater section without going down too soon. I wish we'd be told they are trying to fix it. It is very annoying we were waiting for this for months and it releases impossible for the average player to complete and Anet is on radio silence.