PLEASE add night-mode to the forums

Lonecap.4105

32 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

Considering the many varying studies on it, it shouldn’t.  It’s really all about being sleek and that’s not an essential requirement for UX design.

Who is talking about studies here, we are talking about industry standards.

Right now everything  has a darkmode except for the GW2 official forums. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
smol correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Who is talking about studies here, we are talking about industry standards.

Right everything  has a darkmode except for the GW2 official forums. 

You missed the point.  Dark mode was introduced because someone said it uses less energy and causes less eye strain.  So people jumped on that bandwagon but it is not the case.  Blindly following does not make good practice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, phokus.8934 said:

You missed the point.  Dark mode was introduced because someone said it uses less energy and causes less eye strain.  So people jumped on that bandwagon but it is not the case.  Blindly following does not make good practice.

Ok i missed that point. 

Still darkmode is an industry standard nowadays. Expecting that optional feature   should not be something outrighteous or unexpected.   

Being more comfty or not is something really subjective, it depends on the screen and the eyes of the beholder. I surely find dark mode more comfortable than this blinding white as most people working with computers do. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Ok i missed that point. 

Still darkmode is an industry standard nowadays. Expecting that optional feature   should not be something outrighteous or unexpected.   

Being more comfty or not is something really subjective, it depends on the screen and the eyes of the beholder. I surely find dark mode more comfortable than this blinding white as most people working with computers do. 

Maybe so but I wouldn’t call it an industry standard.  Choice is almost always good but I don’t think ANet controls the forum software as they use a provider who handles everything.

Certain websites are a lot more readable with a dark mode but I also use my mobile for these forums and adjust my screen brightness accordingly (mainly during the time of day).  But this is just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

Maybe so but I wouldn’t call it an industry standard.  Choice is almost always good but I don’t think ANet controls the forum software as they use a provider who handles everything.

Well i just gave them the link to a free dark theme from the provider they are using right now which they should be able to apply easily. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

You've been rallying against almost every option for 5+ years using false dichotomies and false dilemmas.......lol. your posting history contradicts the above statement.

Nope on both accounts.  Please keep the discussion to the subject and not make it personal like in the previous thread.

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm also a migraine sufferer who asked for dark mode ever since they made these forums and the ones before it but they didn't care. Also I'm surprised how negative the comminity is about such a reasonable request that most website forums have as well as discord and other chat programs.

There are in-fact people who suffer headaches from light backgrounds and have light sensitive eyes, it's not our fault. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It would be a lot worse if I didn't have this eye care monitor or f.lux I used before it, but it's still uncomfortable.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Scroll up as people are. Eyes adapt better to black text on white background too. 

Yea?  In that case, point out specifically who and what words you are responding to rather than quoting my post and responding to something other people said.

Regarding eye adaptation, don't you understand why the airline industry and the military have experimented with orange and red colors and background lighting for instruments and monitors during nighttime conditions?  There is no "adapt better to black text on white background too."  Light adaptation is the adjustment eyes make to provide vision during bright light conditions like daytime while dark adaptation is the adjustment they make to low light conditions like night time.  It can take up to half an hour for the human eye to adjust.  When the range in luminosity between ambient light and a screen is great, it can cause eye strain as the eyes struggle to adapt.  Dark text on light background tends to be better for bright ambient light conditions while light text on dark background does so for low light conditions.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

This has little to do with web design and more to do with science. No research conducted as shown that dark mode offers any health benefits over light mode other than for the reasons which I already mentioned. 

my migraines tell a different story, but i guess that's another thing you know nothing about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Regarding eye adaptation, don't you understand why the airline industry and the military have experimented with orange and red colors and background lighting for instruments and monitors during nighttime conditions?  There is no "adapt better to black text on white background too."  Light adaptation is the adjustment eyes make to provide vision during bright light conditions like daytime while dark adaptation is the adjustment they make to low light conditions like night time.  It can take up to half an hour for the human eye to adjust.  When the range in luminosity between ambient light and a screen is great, it can cause eye strain as the eyes struggle to adapt.  Dark text on light background tends to be better for bright ambient light conditions while light text on dark background does so for low light conditions.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/dark-mode/

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-dark-mode-better-for-your-eyes#about-blue-light

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/mobile-phones/what-is-dark-mode-and-should-you-be-using-it/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dark-mode-chrome-android-ios-science

https://www.insider.com/is-dark-mode-better-for-your-eyes

Edited by Ayrilana.1396

55 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yea?  In that case, point out specifically who and what words you are responding to rather than quoting my post and responding to something other people said.

I was responding to your post.   Please read the earlier discussion.

• Confused 1

Just to reiterate, I was never against dark mode as I’m generally not against options that can be toggled. Perhaps I should have led with that in my initial post (which I’ll edit to include although it’s probably too late). What I was against were some of the reasons being used that have no proven backing (yet). All of the research that I have read has been inconclusive. .  

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I was responding to your post.   Please read the earlier discussion.

Yes, you responded to my post with something that had nothing to do with my post, like talking past someone.  Common courtesy when quoting someone is to acknowledge what they actually wrote, not talk about something other people wrote.

Edit: (Also I can't find exactly in the earlier discussion where anyone said dark mode offers health benefits over light mode.  There's only the OP who said the light mode is triggering their migraines and is unpleasant to look at especially at night time.)

Edited by Chaba.5410

1 hour ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I don't need to read even past the first paragraph of your first linked article to tell how you just posted something that goes against your earlier claim that dark mode is just an aesthetic preference.  LOL.  How clever of you to delete your earlier post which can still be found quoted by Witch of Doom.

"whereas some people with cataract and related disorders may perform better with dark mode. On the flip side, long-term reading in light mode may be associated with myopia."

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I don't need to read even past the first paragraph of your first linked article to tell how you just posted something that goes against your earlier claim that dark mode is just an aesthetic preference.  LOL.  How clever of you to delete your earlier post!

"whereas some people with cataract and related disorders may perform better with dark mode. On the flip side, long-term reading in light mode may be associated with myopia."

We don’t have the ability to delete our own posts. Simply try to delete your own to confirm that. 

Have you read the rest of my posts where I specifically stated a few exceptions?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yes, you responded to my post with something that had nothing to do with my post, like talking past someone.  Common courtesy when quoting someone is to acknowledge what they actually wrote, not talk about something other people wrote.

Edit: (Also I can't find exactly in the earlier discussion where anyone said dark mode offers health benefits over light mode.  There's only the OP who said the light mode is triggering their migraines and is unpleasant to look at especially at night time.)

“Health benefits” was my catch all for things like less eye strain and such.  

I’m not sure why I have to do a run through of the discussion when it’s clear as day when simply going back to the previous page but here goes…

I responded to Witch of Doom’s post which was in response to my actual first post where I commented about the screen would be very bright in a dimly lit room. You then responded to my post about web design and such. So technically YOU diverted the conversation away by talking about something unrelated. 

16 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I don't need to read even past the first paragraph of your first linked article to tell how you just posted something that goes against your earlier claim that dark mode is just an aesthetic preference.  LOL.  How clever of you to delete your earlier post which can still be found quoted by Witch of Doom.

I didn't check the links, but did a fast google search about it a bit earlier out of curiosity and what I've noticed is a whole lot of "MAYs" all over the place. If an article keep repeating "IT MAY", "IT MIGHT", then that's a sign there's no conclusive research about it, but mainly some anecdotal ""evidence"" comming from random individual people or their stories.

Started paying more attention to similar wording after seeing a flood of "THIS MIGHT BE A CURE TO X" [followed by the same article saying "but we don't really know"] at some point in the past. Just saying 🙄 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I didn't check the links, but did a fast google search about it a bit earlier out of curiosity and what I've noticed is a whole lot of "MAYs" all over the place. If an article keep repeating "IT MAY", "IT MIGHT", then that's a sign there's no conclusive research about it, but mainly some anecdotal ""evidence"" comming from random individual people or their stories.

Started paying more attention to similar wording after seeing a flood of "THIS MIGHT BE A CURE TO X" [followed by the same article saying "but we don't really know"] at some point in the past. Just saying 🙄 

Not sure what exactly you googled on.  Just saying that web accessibility standards didn't come out of nowhere.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

False. My initial post stated all of that. You can see it embedded in someone’s post on the first page still. 

Your initial post stated: "Unless you have astigmatism, or prefer to have your face to the screen in a poorly lit room, dark mode doesn’t really offer any benefits. It’s more of an aesthetic preference than anything.  "

How can you get hung up on there being no "health benefit" and it being a preference even though you cited astigmatism as a caveat?  Amazing!

Also remember that I agreed with you about the screens would be very bright in a poorly lit room and explained how that can cause eye strain and it isn't just some preference.  Seems like you really didn't read what I wrote and responded as such.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1