Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Who do you anticipate will be EoDs main cast?


Recommended Posts

I've been wondering today about who the commander's companions will be for the journey to Cantha. Here are some unfounded thoughts strictly about established characters.

Most Likely

  • Marjory: She's of Canthan ancestry and hasn't had a major storyline since S3. Opportunity to explore her family history in depth. I could also see her being the focal point of a new necromancer e-spec storyline infused with Canthan lore, similar to what Rytlock was in HoTs for revenants.
  • Gorrik: He's been built up through S4 and could serve as our resident genius in place of Taimi. Generally liked by fans (as far as I can tell) and could use more character development.
  • Caithe: We last saw her in S4, but haven't heard from her since. I could see her coming to Cantha as an emissary of Aurene, or at least as Aurene's eyes on the ground. If there are any burgeoning sylvari plotlines to be found in Echovald or the wider continent, she would make the most sense to feature as part of it.

Maybe

  • Kasmeer: She was a major character in PoF, though she's been on the back burner since then. Her relationship with Marjory may bring her to Cantha, but we've seen from PoF that the writers aren't afraid of separating them either.
  • Canach: Also missing since PoF, but in lieu of Caithe he could be our sylvari. He's also a fan favorite, so I feel most would be glad to see him again.
  • Jhavi: Borderline unlikely, but if they develop her more through the latter half of Icebrood Saga, she could come to join DW. Some speculate from the recent fractal that there could be Norn in Cantha, and she could be a tie-in for that story if it comes to fruition.
  • Ryland: Again unlikely, but I could see a redemption arc happening in Icebrood Saga that could bring him to our side. And if that development happens, I wouldn't be surprised if he tagged along for the next expansion. Alternatively, he retains his role as Jormag's champion if we end up allied with Jormag, functioning in a similar role to my Caithe musings.

Unlikely

  • Braham: Braham's big moment is Icebrood Saga, and his importance has been building for years. After this Saga is over, I expect the writers will rotate him out for a while.
  • Rytlock: If Crecia doesn't become Khan-Ur, Rytlock most likely will. And barring that, I'm fairly certain Rytlock may die by the end of Icebrood Saga in an attempt to save his son.
  • Crecia: As mentioned above, the writers seem to be setting her up for some greater destiny. Come what may I'm certain she'll be busy following Icebrood Saga.
  • Taimi: While I do expect Taimi to have a role in the expansion remotely, with the S4 revelation of her disease getting worse I doubt she will be traveling. Of course, magical interference/distance could prevent her from communicating with us completely depending on what the writers want.

Extremely Unlikely

  • Rox: She's effectively retired and living her dream life with the Olmakhan. I doubt they would bring her back for an expansion.
  • Logan: Effectively retired from main character status in his role as pact marshal.
  • Zojja: Scrambled eggs for brains, abandoned by the writers. But gosh, would love a surprise.
  • Garm: Honorable mention. He's a wolf and is gonna do wolf things in the Shiverpeaks, but it would be cool to have a non-ranger animal companion accompany us.
  • Malyck: Wouldn't it be great if his mysterious tree was in Cantha somehow? :P

Which returning characters do you think will be in EoDs main cast?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda doubt that Marjory will introduce a new necromancer elite spec to us, since she already did that with HOT and reaper when she was keeping her sister Belinda's greatsword.

Really would enjoy to see Canach playing a role and I would love him to introduce the new engineer elite spec for us.We already had quite some "poster childs" for elite specs of other classes:Marjory -> ReaperRytlock -> HeraldBraham -> Dragon Hunter

Especially if our new elite spec turns out to be alchemy focused, I can imagine Canach being a perfect candidate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Ryland point, before the current story a part of me expect Ryland to maybe get a redemption arc in the future if he lives through Icebrood Saga.

Sadly since he has reached the point of no return that belief has reach from a slightly to absolute zero unless Anet can some how pull him out of the dark side.

However, if so I always speculated that with Ryland joining the group for a redemption arc Rytlock may have to retire from the group. due to events that cause Ryland to return back to our side. Not the "get killed off" type of retirement but more of a suffer serious injury that he can no longer fight type of retirement.

As for the others....

Kasmeer is certainly the person I expect to be among the characters for Cantha expansion. She has basically become Kryta's representative when it comes to political matters now.

Logan is in the middle level, while he is retired from the major character role, Logan is now the Pact Commander and always will appear now to represent the Pact in political and military matters when a Elder Dragon is involved. If the Cantha expansion does focus on DSD and their inventation to the Commander and his/her allies is the result of not being able to handle the DSD so they open their doors for our help then we can expect Logan to appear. However, there is still a chance we may get a old character returning to represent the Pact in this matter or a new character as well.

As a completely off chance and probably zero percent....

I still hope for the return of Razah.

With the Elder Dragons dragging themselves through the Mist more often now, it seems ideal to bring him back due to all the noise they have been making in the Mists.

It will also be interesting to see how much he has developed over the 250 years since back in GW1 he was a clean slate but in GW2 who can say what type of person he may have become due to centuries of studying human's different reasoning, emotions, and different nature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kodama.6453 - you’re right, totally forgot about the reaper thing. I was thinking she could potentially get into ritualist stuff using Belinda as a lead-in, but that’s already been done.

@EdwinLi.1284 - I don’t think the chance is absolute zero, but it’s a gamble whether or not they’ll bring Ryland back to the “light.” The only way I see that happening, narratively, is a sacrifice on Rytlock’s part. We’ll see though. I’m excited!

@Lan Deathrider.5910 - Learning Mhenlo’s date is definitely a big hope of mine for EoDs! Though I do hope he was tapped as Balthazar’s replacement in the human pantheon. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Svennis.3852" said:@Kodama.6453 - you’re right, totally forgot about the reaper thing. I was thinking she could potentially get into ritualist stuff using Belinda as a lead-in, but that’s already been done.

@EdwinLi.1284 - I don’t think the chance is absolute zero, but it’s a gamble whether or not they’ll bring Ryland back to the “light.” The only way I see that happening, narratively, is a sacrifice on Rytlock’s part. We’ll see though. I’m excited!

@Lan Deathrider.5910 - Learning Mhenlo’s date is definitely a big hope of mine for EoDs! Though I do hope he was tapped as Balthazar’s replacement in the human pantheon. ?

Seeing as Balth's God Magic got absorbed elsewhere I sadly do not think that will happen. Cynn would be nice for that though having been a fire mage and all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Svennis.3852" said:@Lan Deathrider.5910 - The other human gods stripped Balthazar of his godhood/divinity before PoF. Kormir even hints that they had replaced him some time ago by transferring that power to someone else. Divine magic can’t be destroyed, only transferred, as established by Kormir’s ascension to godhood in GW1.

Yes, and certain PoF episodes have that power actively being transferred to certain story NPCs. Grant it Balth recharged himself with a Bloodstone, so what the other Five stripped from him could be bequeathed to another enity.

Cynn would be pretty great tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fueki.4753 - I think the writers are trying to rely less on Taimi to solve all our problems, as she’s been almost entirely absent from Icebrood Saga, even remotely. The progression of her disease could prevent her from doing the same amount of research, too. It’s dependent on the story they want to tell. Of course if she stuffs her brain inside a golem as a reaction to her declining body, that could circumvent the issue.

Also, Taimi had some trouble talking to us on comms in Elona, so the greater distance from mainland Tyria could cause similar issues.

Touching on your other comment, I always love me some Canach. I’m ready for a break from Rytlock though. He’s been at the forefront of the story since launch, with very few absences in that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@EdwinLi.1284 said:Now that woodenpotatoes has collected and uploaded all Sunqua Peak lore items in a video....

Braham seems like a possible member now due to the potential that a society of Canthan Norns exists in secret within Cantha.

Thanks, haven‘t checked / read through the Sunqua lore yet, but will make sure to check it out after your comment.Braham is one of the characters I like most of the group (even though many seem to dislike him).

Link to post
Share on other sites

No way Anet will retire Rythlock.It's either gonna have Rythlock in it, or as yu mentioned, Rythlock will die.

He has no real place to go back to, and I doubt he will be willing to shackle himself to the Legions again.For the longest time he has been EoD, and heck, EoD was his idea in the first place.EoD is as good as his family and it would be weird to see EoD without Rythlock present if he was still alive.

Or they will pull a HoT on us and have Rythlock thrown into ICU.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Raknar.4735 said:

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:Now that woodenpotatoes has collected and uploaded all Sunqua Peak lore items in a video....

Braham seems like a possible member now due to the potential that a society of Canthan Norns exists in secret within Cantha.

Thanks, haven‘t checked / read through the Sunqua lore yet, but will make sure to check it out after your comment.Braham is one of the characters I like most of the group (even though many seem to dislike him).

They only dislike him because he was in his angry teenager phase of life. He has mellowed out of that phase now but still trying to find his place in the world. The way they currently present his story about accepting responsibility for his past action when he was still a angry teenager is not being present properly though because people feel the whole "chosen one" plot is being forced on Braham. In a way Braham is someone who just does not know where to go in his life yet, he is just chasing the shadows of everyone he knows as the only guide he has in his life for now.

With a Canthan Norn society in Cantha, he may finally find his place there but at the sametime it may lead to another Rox scenario where he consider to retire into the Canthan Norn society and only appear once the Commander rally all his/her allies.

However, it will be fine in my opinion because the boy has been struggling all his life trying to find a place in the world and it is not always easy to find that place growing up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have anything against Braham personally, but I would rather they rotate characters out regularly. Braham has been a focal point of the game for a while, and I'd love to see someone like Jhavi join DW and explore any potential threads about Canthan norn. Unless ANet totally goes in an unexpected direction, I imagine Icebrood Saga will shape Braham's legend and identity enough to resolve a lot of his ongoing plot lines. It's time someone else got more screen time over him (and Rytlock too, imo).

Link to post
Share on other sites

@JekthAvid.1408 there are only so many characters the writers can focus on at a time. And despite what you say, Taimi’s often been used as a plot device to move the story along. That gets old after a while. I like the character, and it’s obvious her story isn’t over. She’s just not the focus right now, but what follows Icebrood Saga is anyone’s guess. They’ll have to resolve her disease one way or another (whether she succumbs or circumvents it somehow).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Rox even still around? She seems to have stayed with the Olmakhan, but there was no goodbye where she told us she wanted to stay with them and we all say our goodbyes to her. We haven't even seen other characters mention this, she just... stopped appearing or being mentioned at all.

Marjory 100%, they pretty much have to really. I'd be very surprised if Kasmeer wasn't central too.

Not sure what they'll do with Taimi ultimately, but it'd be an odd time to work her back in from being more distant in Icebrood, I imagine she'll die or get cured or whatever after Cantha.

Logan is our military support now, but hard to say if the Pact will have a presence in Cantha.

Caithe comes and goes so much she's almost as dead as Zojja half the time, both of those could easily be entirely absent, or there. Totally unknown.

Jhavi, Ryland, and Crecia are all Icebrood characters. Besides Jhavi (since she'll be vigil leader I guess, or second when Laranthir returns), they probably won't appear much again, if they even survive.

Gorrik seemed like he was becoming more central until the last few episodes. I guess he'll be our resident Asura while Taimi is at home dying.

Rytlock and Braham are like our best bros that come along just because they're our closest allies now, they've been along for every adventure.

Canach is also a bro but sometimes goes his own way, I wish he'd always go with us too

Link to post
Share on other sites

@EdwinLi.1284 said:Now that woodenpotatoes has collected and uploaded all Sunqua Peak lore items in a video....

Braham seems like a possible member now due to the potential that a society of Canthan Norns exists in secret within Cantha.

I believe Hyo-Sonn is just a really big Canthan.I also believe that Canthans from the Dragon Empire know how to differentiate their own from Norn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Svennis.3852" said:

  • Jhavi: Borderline unlikely, but if they develop her more through the latter half of Icebrood Saga, she could come to join DW. Some speculate from the recent fractal that there could be Norn in Cantha, and she could be a tie-in for that story if it comes to fruition.
  • Ryland: Again unlikely, but I could see a redemption arc happening in Icebrood Saga that could bring him to our side. And if that development happens, I wouldn't be surprised if he tagged along for the next expansion. Alternatively, he retains his role as Jormag's champion if we end up allied with Jormag, functioning in a similar role to my Caithe musings.
  • Crecia: As mentioned above, the writers seem to be setting her up for some greater destiny. Come what may I'm certain she'll be busy following Icebrood Saga.Jhavi, Crecia, and Ryland are unlikely to get involved in anything after this major plot. They fulfill similar roles to Laranthir and Ruka in HoT, or Kito and Zaeim in PoF/Season 4. They're reoccurring characters of the local region and plot, and won't be majorly involved with anything later on.

Extremely Unlikely

  • Rox: She's effectively retired and living her dream life with the Olmakhan. I doubt they would bring her back for an expansion.
  • Logan: Effectively retired from main character status in his role as pact marshal.
  • Zojja: Scrambled eggs for brains, abandoned by the writers. But gosh, would love a surprise.
  • Garm: Honorable mention. He's a wolf and is gonna do wolf things in the Shiverpeaks, but it would be cool to have a non-ranger animal companion accompany us.
  • Malyck: Wouldn't it be great if his mysterious tree was in Cantha somehow? :P

Which returning characters do you think will be in EoDs main cast?I think Logan has a good chance of returning because he is Pact Marshal. If End of Dragons deals with fighting an Elder Dragon again, then there is a 100% chance of the Pact making an appearance eventually, and by extension, Logan leading them.

Zojja could return too, just to close her story properly if nothing else.

And Malyck, in Cantha? Such a joker. Clearly, his tree is Urgoz itself. /s

I suspect the main cast will be Marjory, Caithe, Rytlock/Braham, and a new Canthan originating character. With a side cast of Kasmeer, Gorrik/Taimi, Canach, Rox, Zafirah, and Logan.

Whether it's Braham or Rytlock, and Taimi or Gorrik, ultimately depends on their fate in Icebrood Saga. I do think they'll bring Rox back, as a diplomat for the Olmakhan, though it won't be right away, and Zafirah will join in too at that point. Most likely this will happen with Season 6. Logan will only show up if, as mention above, we directly fight the Deep Sea Dragon in EoD or its subsequent LW season.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:@Lan Deathrider.5910 - Learning Mhenlo’s date is definitely a big hope of mine for EoDs! Though I do hope he was tapped as Balthazar’s replacement in the human pantheon. ?Seeing as Balth's God Magic got absorbed elsewhere I sadly do not think that will happen. Cynn would be nice for that though having been a fire mage and all.Balthazar's divinity was taken from him by the other gods before he was imprisoned. By all rights, based on Nightfall lore, there should have been a second God of War other than Balthazar, just like we have Grenth and Dhuum.

Zafirah's Requiem short story even supports this, by denoting that there is a different in Balthazar from the gifts from the god of war she's gotten prior to Balthazar breaking free.

@Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324 said:

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:Now that woodenpotatoes has collected and uploaded all Sunqua Peak lore items in a video....

Braham seems like a possible member now due to the potential that a society of Canthan Norns exists in secret within Cantha.

I believe Hyo-Sonn is just a really big Canthan.I also believe that Canthans from the Dragon Empire know how to differentiate their own from Norn.This. So much this.

Canthans won't be idiotic. They'll know how to differentiate a "really tall human" from a 8 foot tall shapeshifter that gives off more body heat than others. Hyo-Sonn is 99.99% to be pure human bred. And Hyo-Sonn won't be the first oversized human either: Turai Ossa, Shiro Tagachi, and the various Guild Lord npcs of GW1 were all oversized humans. Canonically for Turai Ossa.

People liked to postulate some norn heritage in Turai Ossa, only to be proven that humans and norn cannot interbreed, and Turai is pure human. I think WP was among those calling Turai a norn-descendant too.

The chances of there being some norn colony in Cantha is very slim, especially with the anti-non-human attitude the Ministry of Purity had, and with how norn seem to be more-or-less confirmed kodan descendants at this point and non-interactive with humans until the Ministry of Purity were an active thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Canthans won't be idiotic. They'll know how to differentiate a "really tall human" from a 8 foot tall shapeshifter that gives off more body heat than others. Hyo-Sonn is 99.99% to be pure human bred. And Hyo-Sonn won't be the first oversized human either: Turai Ossa, Shiro Tagachi, and the various Guild Lord npcs of GW1 were all oversized humans. Canonically for Turai Ossa.

People liked to postulate some norn heritage in Turai Ossa, only to be proven that humans and norn cannot interbreed, and Turai is pure human. I think WP was among those calling Turai a norn-descendant too.

The chances of there being some norn colony in Cantha is very slim, especially with the anti-non-human attitude the Ministry of Purity had, and with how norn seem to be more-or-less confirmed kodan descendants at this point and non-interactive with humans until the Ministry of Purity were an active thing.

Most likely you're right, and they're going for a Brienne of Tarth vibe for the character. I think the hope that the campaign won't just be a solely human-focused campaign is strong, and to me it's kind of boring that non-human races feel so limited to one specific area of the world. Especially with non-humans being native to the planet, it's odd that they aren't more widespread. I don't doubt Canthans couldn't figure out the difference between humans and norn, but I could see them using norn until they don't need them anymore. Honestly, though, if hypothetical Canthan norn are anything like those in the Shiverpeaks, I find it hard to believe they would align with the Ministry of Purity.

I'll cling to hope, but I don't expect to be right lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The chances of there being some norn colony in Cantha is very slim, especially with the anti-non-human attitude the Ministry of Purity had, and with how norn seem to be more-or-less confirmed kodan descendants at this point and non-interactive with humans until the Ministry of Purity were an active thing.

That will depend on the lore they present in Cantha though and as i said it is only a potential possibility I am speculating and not absolute certainty.

What we know in GW1 is not everything about the world but only the parts the developers believe is important to the story and the parts of the world we interacted with.

If a Cantha Norn Secret Society does exists then we will know very little about them currently. Not to mention how different they maybe from the Norn we know due to living under far different climate conditions and environment such as their manners, their cultural beliefs, their physical appearance differences, and etc. Then there is their unknown history for being there and reason for being there such as were they always there but we never explored far enough in GW1 to meet them, did they get separate during somepoint in history, and etc.

Not to mention a lot of questions involving why they choose to remain in secret for so long and why Hyo-Sonn maybe the exception.

We can never be certain with anything now due to how far we are still from Cantha Expansion and the developers only wants to leave us questions for now.

@"Svennis.3852" said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Canthans won't be idiotic. They'll know how to differentiate a "really tall human" from a 8 foot tall shapeshifter that gives off more body heat than others. Hyo-Sonn is 99.99% to be pure human bred. And Hyo-Sonn won't be the first oversized human either: Turai Ossa, Shiro Tagachi, and the various Guild Lord npcs of GW1 were all oversized humans.
Canonically
for Turai Ossa.

People liked to postulate some norn heritage in Turai Ossa, only to be proven that humans and norn cannot interbreed, and Turai is pure human. I think WP was among those calling Turai a norn-descendant too.

The chances of there being some norn colony in Cantha is
very
slim, especially with the anti-non-human attitude the Ministry of Purity had, and with how norn seem to be more-or-less confirmed kodan descendants at this point
and
non-interactive with humans until the Ministry of Purity were an active thing.

Most likely you're right, and they're going for a Brienne of Tarth vibe for the character. I think the hope that the campaign won't just be a solely human-focused campaign is strong, and to me it's kind of boring that non-human races feel so limited to one specific area of the world. Especially with non-humans being native to the planet, it's odd that they aren't more widespread. I don't doubt Canthans couldn't figure out the difference between humans and norn, but I could see them using norn until they don't need them anymore. Honestly, though, if hypothetical Canthan norn are anything like those in the Shiverpeaks, I find it hard to believe they would align with the Ministry of Purity.

I'll cling to hope, but I don't expect to be right lol.

That depends on who Hyo-Sonn maybe is. It is common to assume everything in Cantha now is just Human due to what happened in Wind of Change.

However, if a society of Canthan Norns do exist their culture may not even call themselves Norn. The habits of a race that is separated from each other to live within different cultures, environments, and etc can greatly differ from each other to a point they don't call their race the samething depending on the amount of time they have been separated from each other.

It is like the word Human, everyone can call one another a Human just by their appearance alone regardless of their height if they meet the expected physical appearance. However, a civilization far from the civilization that classify themselves as Human may call themselves something else even when everyone in that civilization are Humans since the word Human does not exists within their culture.

For example, if expedition into unknown regions of lands never explored in GW1 and GW2 allows representatives of current known society to meet a new civilization that have never interacted with them before, their classification of themselves as a race maybe another word despite our current known society will just call them Human.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Svennis.3852" said:Most likely you're right, and they're going for a Brienne of Tarth vibe for the character. I think the hope that the campaign won't just be a solely human-focused campaign is strong, and to me it's kind of boring that non-human races feel so limited to one specific area of the world. Especially with non-humans being native to the planet, it's odd that they aren't more widespread. I don't doubt Canthans couldn't figure out the difference between humans and norn, but I could see them using norn until they don't need them anymore. Honestly, though, if hypothetical Canthan norn are anything like those in the Shiverpeaks, I find it hard to believe they would align with the Ministry of Purity.

I'll cling to hope, but I don't expect to be right lol.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Cantha to be solely featuring humans. Depending on how it goes, I could see tengu, naga, dredge, and wardens all playing a role. But "Canthan norn" are very, very unlikely to be a thing.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:That will depend on the lore they present in Cantha though and as i said it is only a potential possibility I am speculating and not absolute certainty.

What we know in GW1 is not everything about the world but only the parts the developers believe is important to the story and the parts of the world we interacted with.

If a Cantha Norn Secret Society does exists then we will know very little about them currently. Not to mention how different they maybe from the Norn we know due to living under far different climate conditions and environment such as their manners, their cultural beliefs, their physical appearance differences, and etc. Then there is their unknown history for being there and reason for being there such as were they always there but we never explored far enough in GW1 to meet them, did they get separate during somepoint in history, and etc.

Not to mention a lot of questions involving why they choose to remain in secret for so long and why Hyo-Sonn maybe the exception.

We can never be certain with anything now due to how far we are still from Cantha Expansion and the developers only wants to leave us questions for now.The key issue about "Canthan norn society" is the origin of the norn. Like I mentioned, Icebrood Saga has been pushing - far more than ever before - the narrative that the norn are descended from a lost tribe of kodan from the previous dragonrise 10,000-3,000 years ago.

This puts the origin point of norn on the opposite side of the globe than Cantha (north pole-ish versus south pole-ish). This means the only way a Canthan norn society could exist, is by norn migration - it wouldn't be a norn society if it was a kodan migration, after all. However, as firmly established in both GW1 and GW2 lore, the norn barely left the Far Shiverpeaks until the Great Destroyer's rise - those few that did, were solo adventurers who would usually return to the Far Shiverpeaks (assuming they lived) to tell their tales. They would not be setting up entire societies.

Additionally, the independent nature of norn works strongly against the notion of colonization efforts - either by an empire like the Primeval Kings going into the Crystal Desert, or by seceding from an empire like the Olmakhan - because you're very unlikely to get any more than a small handful of travelers in one go, and a group under 16 or so cannot establish a long lasting colony due to the eventual inbreeding (given how ANet has established hybrids to work, it's a safe bet to assume genetics in general function similarly in Tyria), and getting 16+ norn to work as a group long enough to traverse the entire globe and establish a homestead is a very mean feat for norn society.

Add in the xenophobia of Canthans and the isolation brought by the rise of the Elder Dragons, and it just becomes even less likely.

Even excluding all of the above, I feel like if ANet wanted to hint that Hyo-Sonn was a norn, they'd make it a little more obvious than three letters mentioning her existence, and only one really focusing on her height. Something that a lot of theories like this "Canthan norn society" miss is that ANet doesn't do subtle hints to revelations. They're either obvious once you connect a couple dots, or completely obscure and the only way to reach the right conclusion is through lucky guessing.

That depends on who Hyo-Sonn maybe is. It is common to assume everything in Cantha now is just Human due to what happened in Wind of Change.

I think you have a slight timeframe issue with this bit here.

Cantha did not become xenophobic with Winds of Change, even though Reiko very much was in her power hunger. But because Reiko was stopped, it wasn't until Usoku's reign that non-humans were forced out of Cantha, or that Cantha itself was xenophobic. And this campaign against non-humans began after the campaign of uniting the Kurzicks and Luxons, which is talked about in the letters.

In other words, during the timeframe of the letters, non-humans such as the tengu were still present in Cantha. The tengu did not arrive in Central Tyria until after Zhaitan's rise, over 100 years after Usoku's campaigns began.

However, if a society of Canthan Norns do exist their culture may not even call themselves Norn. The habits of a race that is separated from each other to live within different cultures, environments, and etc can greatly differ from each other to a point they don't call their race the samething depending on the amount of time they have been separated from each other.

It is like the word Human, everyone can call one another a Human just by their appearance alone regardless of their height if they meet the expected physical appearance. However, a civilization far from the civilization that classify themselves as Human may call themselves something else even when everyone in that civilization are Humans since the word Human does not exists within their culture.I do not think norn would forget who they are, since they would be colonizing in Cantha to fulfill this theory. They would know they are norn, unless they suffered some dark age where even oral tradition was lost to the point of an entire town forgetting that they're shapeshifting half-giants and not just "really tall humans".

Kind of hard to forget that you're a shapeshifter, at that.

Not to mention that given the fact that norn cannot interbreed with humans, if they forgot they weren't just norn, they'd die out rather quickly because if they forgot they weren't human, more and more of them would try to mingle and have relationships with humans, resulting in no offspring and thus dying out. And if they were a small colony to begin with - as is very likely per their culture as denoted above - that would mean they'd die out or become so inbred within a few generations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...