Vanilla Mount Dye Vs Gem Store Skin Dyes

At first I was thinking "ok, fine, one channel to avoid horrible color clashing abominations; I guess is good", but now anet is selling us skins that people can dye in 4 different channels in the most eye breaking, brain damaging and worst possible combinations. Mmmmm, I'll like more dye channels on base mounts then, please.

I'm quite OK with more dye channels on gem-store skins. The vanilla glider also had just one channel.However, even if we get 5 retextures, 1600 gems for retextures is ridiculous.To be honest: I was quite disappointed with the halloween skins for the mounts. If the skeleton look wasn't just a reskin but a actual skeleton model that would have been something else entirely and I would have considered 1600 or even 2000 gems for 5 skeleton-models(obviously the jackal would just have the sand removed, but that would have been thematicly acurate).

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:It’s like the first glider you get with the HoT. If you remember that only had one dye channel and it didn’t even dye the whole glider, just half of each wing. When I saw the vanilla mount only had one dye channel I immediately assumed that gem store skins would have more.

I understand that. But the Vanilla Glider was very ugly in my opinion, whereas the Vanilla Mounts are beautiful.
I would be happy buying an additional dye channel for them

Granted, I still want my armored raptor, but that's in the future. :p

And you will be able to when/if they sell the dye channels in the gems store, and I presume they will have a mount selection for that.

@Iason Evan.3806 said:

@rapthorne.7345 said:Wait a second

Hold up

Slow down

Something you pay extra for is BETTER than something you get with the base package?

Fancy that

I paid 250g for my griffon. It has one dye channel. It's a prestige item. I'd like 4 dye channels on it.

We all paid 250g for the basic run of the mill griffon. It's no more prestigious than any other base item. You want shiny extras? Spend gems.

@Talonblaze.3175 said:Gotta say, I was rather extremely disappointed to hear that the new mount skins came included with 4 dye channels with the capability of colouring the whole mount completely.So it has me puzzled why all the vanilla mounts were stuck with a single 1.Clearly it wasn't a technical limitation from what we see here with the new skin releases and even the raptor minis.

It is not favorable in my eyes to think that the dye channels were purposefully neglected in favor of selling the skins.Whilst on their own, the skins themselves I think would have sold regardless if the vanilla ones had more than one channel or not.

Perhaps I'm the only one who has the sour taste in their mouth knowing they took a notably requested feature and put it exclusively behind a paywall after having just paid for it.Hopefully an alternative can be addressed in the future for this, but I don't hold too much hope.

Last I saw folks were screaming about wanting mounts, they got them. Not it isn't enough you have to have more dye channels? The sour taste in my mouth is how insatiable folks can be about it.

Compared to other games like FFXIV it's $10 each for one skin that you can't even dye.

In spite of this unfavorable discussion I am buy this bundle pack out of protest.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@"Talonblaze.3175" said:Gotta say, I was rather extremely disappointed to hear that the new mount skins came included with 4 dye channels with the capability of colouring the whole mount completely.So it has me puzzled why all the vanilla mounts were stuck with a single 1.Clearly it wasn't a technical limitation from what we see here with the new skin releases and even the raptor minis.

It is not favorable in my eyes to think that the dye channels were purposefully neglected in favor of selling the skins.Whilst on their own, the skins themselves I think would have sold regardless if the vanilla ones had more than one channel or not.

Perhaps I'm the only one who has the sour taste in their mouth knowing they took a notably requested feature and put it exclusively behind a paywall after having just paid for it.Hopefully an alternative can be addressed in the future for this, but I don't hold too much hope.

Last I saw folks were screaming about wanting mounts, they got them. Not it isn't enough you have to have more dye channels? The sour taste in my mouth is how insatiable folks can be about it.

Compared to other games like FFXIV it's $10 each for one skin that you can't even dye.

In spite of this unfavorable discussion I am buy this bundle pack out of protest.

I'm assuming you meant "I am not buying" or "I will buy". But this has nothing to do with gratitude, rather, it has to do with being shafted.

I love my mounts. I think they are awesome, I think Anet did an awesome job at making them, and by thinking outside the box. I'm really happy with how they were implemented and I'm excited to see an Armored Raptor skin some day soon.

However, as part of the PoF Beta Feedback, everyone said "give the raptor another dye channel, it would look better." There wasn't even a negative outcry about it, it was rather, a strongly requested feature. And that was months ago. The feature is now behind a paywall with mount skins that some people don't want, and they are in a bundle which can't be separated. Some people may only want ONE skin, and they might be happy with that one skin. Is that asking too much? Is that being ungrateful? No. They're asking for less.

In Beta, we asked for less. We asked for one extra dye channel, and I would be HAPPY to buy ONE extra dye channel for the base mounts for 100 gems (or so) per channel. Again, this is NOT a lack of gratitude. I've reprimanded so many gamers here and on other games for being ungrateful before; this is not ingratitude. This is being shafted.

Now, if we had gotten the two dye channels for the base mounts as requested, and then Anet released the bundle and players complained, then, I would have agreed with you; the players would have been showing a lack of gratitude.

@Mea.5491 said:Funny, the basic glider has one dye channel and a fixed color too and no one cared... This whole QQing about optional mount fluff is ridiculous.Again, to my original post:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:It’s like the first glider you get with the HoT. If you remember that only had one dye channel and it didn’t even dye the whole glider, just half of each wing. When I saw the vanilla mount only had one dye channel I immediately assumed that gem store skins would have more.

I understand that.
But the Vanilla Glider was very ugly
in my opinion, whereas the
Vanilla Mounts are beautiful.
I would be happy buying an additional dye channel for them.

I added bold for emphasis. That is my compliant. I think the Halloween mount skins are as ugly as the base glider. The base mounts on the other hand look great! No one cared about the base glider because it was so terrible looking. So, when the new gliders came in with multiple dye channels, everyone was fine with it. Heck, some people liked the gliders with NO dye channels (Exalted Glider, for example--I saw a lot of people with those when it first released, and by just looking at the base glider, I can see why).

Just a thought, but is it possible that they wanted the base mounts to look semi-similar, seeing as they're from the same geographical area? So rather than lore breaking flashy neon pink raptors from the get-go, the dye channels are optional, but if you want to make a neon pink raptor you need to pay for it. I think the base mounts are beautiful, and one dye channel makes it personal, but keeps the base feel of the mounts intact.

I'm fully expecting everyone and their kitten to have a neon griffon with sparkling particles and rainbow jet stripes within a year, and that THAT will be paid content.

When I saw the dye channels and what the possibilities were the first thing I thought was:

Welcome all to the clown mounts which are dyed full black full white and full pink. Because you can! And then people were talking about how mounts would be immersion breaking... I often think its the poor souls with no sense of colour that break my immersion.

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:When I saw the dye channels and what the possibilities were the first thing I thought was:

Welcome all to the clown mounts which are dyed full black full white and full pink. Because you can! And then people were talking about how mounts would be immersion breaking... I often think its the poor souls with no sense of colour that break my immersion.

Same, some people really make them look... uglier. And some make them look awesome. I also think we should be able to "dye" our mount skins when previewing them. We preview locked dyes on our armor, so let's see how our unlocked dyes look on the skins.

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:When I saw the dye channels and what the possibilities were the first thing I thought was:

Same, some people really make them look... uglier. And some make them look awesome. I also think we should be able to "dye" our mount skins when previewing them. We preview locked dyes on our armor, so let's see how our unlocked dyes look on the skins.

Gotta admit though, full black actually looks quite good in some occasions on these skins.

Full black is sorta needed on the Springer. Or at least dark hues. Its "fur" is just horrid for dyeing, and the skeleton markings are too spray painted on. So I'm customizing bunny eyes but staying with blacks and dark browns for bunny bodies for the most part.

I agree that a) the vanilla mounts are gorgeous as they stand (though I'd like a less beige bunny) and players generally seemed super happy with their looks, and b) that even before we found out there could be four channels many of us were saying two channels would be far better since the single channel hue generally came out too subtle to tell one from another when zoomed out.

So I'd like one more dye channel on the base mounts. Could be just an alteration of a major swathe of the body to allow blending/contrast with the currently dyeable parts, while leaving a lot of it in the "natural" state. That seems a decent compromise, especially if pending mount skins actually give new looks beyond the paint job. People will still buy the gem skins but will get to see individuals in the crowd as a wider range of hues adds to the variation.

It does seem odd that the mounts only had one channel and now have four with the skins. If I was to hazard a guess as to why, I'd say the four channel dye outfits was already a work in process for Halloween since this would give them something to really spice up the holiday since much of the last few years it's been the same thing no real changes. So the default one channel may have been a way to give some customizing to the mounts instead of no option to dye, also may have been a short term test bed to see how much the player base wanted more dye options. I'm fine with the price, a single outfit is 600-800 gems each and for five we're only paying 1600 total. I hope to see more skins and hope they don't get greedy with the cost.

This isn't any different than what happened with gliders......

Also @people complaining about the price. You are getting 5 skins for 1,600 gems. You can't get 5 glider skins for that cheap. Most are 400 gems, with some at 500 gems, and some being 700 gems for the glider + backpack skin. This is actually really cheap considering how many skins you are getting. But I agree that we should have the option to buy individual mount skins

Archived