Should We Get A Leak For New Cantha Class Specializations Right Now?

I want to know if I need to think about preparing to craft a new legendary weapon (eg if mesmer gets rifle, longbow or hammer will want predator, pharus or sharur maybe), or not (eg if shortbow then I can happily ignore both options, as I like neither).

Will probably still prefer mirage anyway for thematic reasons, but won't turn nose up at any early leaks of new especs. ;)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Curunen.8729 said:I want to know if I need to think about preparing to craft a new legendary weapon (eg if mesmer gets rifle, longbow or hammer will want predator, pharus or sharur maybe), or not (eg if shortbow then I can happily ignore both options, as I like neither).

Will probably still prefer mirage anyway for thematic reasons, but won't turn nose up at any early leaks of new especs. ;)

That's the kind of stuff I would like to know as well.

Like early preparation and theory crafting. It's fun.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Curunen.8729" said:I want to know if I need to think about preparing to craft a new legendary weapon (eg if mesmer gets rifle, longbow or hammer will want predator, pharus or sharur maybe), or not (eg if shortbow then I can happily ignore both options, as I like neither).

This is exactly why I think it's a bad idea to hope for genuine leaks, where someone shares whatever they can get their hands on without authorisation, rather than an official announcement. How would you feel if a leak did come out saying mesmers are getting rifle for their elite spec and you make a legendary in preparation for that, then the official announcements start and mesmers have a different weapon, with Anet saying rifle was an early prototype but it didn't work out, so they scrapped it and went for a different idea instead? Now you've wasted all that time and effort making a useless legendary based off unreliable information.

If players understand that leaks are not reliable and there's no guarantee anything leaked will be in final release but they want to speculate on it and theory craft without getting too attached to the ideas than that's fine but it never stays at that level. Especially when you get people a few steps removed from the source and instead of hearing "an anonymous user on Reddit claiming to be an inside source posted an image which appears to show X" they just hear "the next expansion will feature X" from a friend or fan site they consider reliable and think it's official information.

I understand wanting to know what's going to be in the next expansion ASAP. It's frustrating that right now we know next to nothing about it apart from the name, the fact that it's in Cantha and a few vague hints about the story from the the trailer. But I want to know what's actually going to be in the finished version, not whatever random concepts someone manages to steal with no regard for what's going to be kept or scrapped or changed.

I would love more information, but not before the devs are ready to showcase it/tell us about it. If that's sooner rather than later... more the better!

Edit: Part of the fun for me is concocting e-spec ideas and reading others in anticipation for the next expansion, so it'd be nice to let that go for a bit longer before we tamp it down with actual info.

@GW Noob.6038 said:I really couldn't care less about any new elite specializations. The only thing I'd be interested in seeing in a new expansion is a very large number of QoL improvements to the game.

While I agree that there are many, many improvements that need to be made, I don't think that an expansion is the correct vehicle to release them. /shrug

@kharmin.7683 said:

@GW Noob.6038 said:I really couldn't care less about any new elite specializations. The only thing I'd be interested in seeing in a new expansion is a very large number of QoL improvements to the game.

While I agree that there are many, many improvements that need to be made, I don't think that an expansion is the correct vehicle to release them. /shrug

...and why not?

@GW Noob.6038 said:

...and why not?

In my opinion....

...by definition, an "expansion" expands the current content. It ought to be new material. Making improvements to existing content is not expanding anything.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:I want to know if I need to think about preparing to craft a new legendary weapon (eg if mesmer gets rifle, longbow or hammer will want predator, pharus or sharur maybe), or not (eg if shortbow then I can happily ignore both options, as I like neither).

You can do that now. You're already doing it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

...and why not?

In my opinion....

...by definition, an "expansion" expands the current content. It ought to be new material. Making improvements to existing content is not expanding anything.

same here. there's so many QoL requests hoping/wishing to get implemented and a lot of those don't even need the that much work or the dev time required of an expansion. while we do get some QoL fixes&tweaks here and there but they are few and far in between when we could get so much more if they were easy to implement while the harder-to-do ones can come with the new expansion

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Curunen.8729" said:I want to know if I need to think about preparing to craft a new legendary weapon (eg if mesmer gets rifle, longbow or hammer will want predator, pharus or sharur maybe), or not (eg if shortbow then I can happily ignore both options, as I like neither).

This is exactly why I think it's a bad idea to hope for genuine leaks, where someone shares whatever they can get their hands on without authorisation, rather than an official announcement. How would you feel if a leak did come out saying mesmers are getting rifle for their elite spec and you make a legendary in preparation for that, then the official announcements start and mesmers have a different weapon, with Anet saying rifle was an early prototype but it didn't work out, so they scrapped it and went for a different idea instead? Now you've wasted all that time and effort making a useless legendary based off unreliable information.

If players understand that leaks are not reliable and there's no guarantee anything leaked will be in final release but they want to speculate on it and theory craft without getting too attached to the ideas than that's fine but it never stays at that level. Especially when you get people a few steps removed from the source and instead of hearing "an anonymous user on Reddit claiming to be an inside source posted an image which appears to show X" they just hear "the next expansion will feature X" from a friend or fan site they consider reliable and think it's official information.

I understand wanting to know what's going to be in the next expansion ASAP. It's frustrating that right now we know next to nothing about it apart from the name, the fact that it's in Cantha and a few vague hints about the story from the the trailer. But I want to know what's actually going to be in the finished version, not whatever random concepts someone manages to steal with no regard for what's going to be kept or scrapped or changed.

I think there's a subtle difference here. Firstly the player is of sound mind to understand any potentially leaked info isn't 100% certain until given official confirmation - and in any case the player is neutral about any info being presented in this way. Secondly, following the above the player knows not to go all in with preparation on uncertainties, but has become aware of possibilities and can if nothing else, mentally prepare and theory craft, or general in game open ended preparation, so if things turn out differently they are able to adapt and flow with it.

But I get what you are saying, and there will always be a set of players that would inevitably take risky actions followed by negative reactions based on a shaky foundation of knowledge, so can see why it is also good if things are kept quiet to minimise the impact of this.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Kichwas.7152 said:I'm curious if we might get a new class. Not just new elite specs but a whole class. I suspect not but it would be nice if we did.

This would be great and give me a reason to actually buy another character slot. I would be more interested in this than just new elite specs.

What I want is basically:

Monk, as in the Guild Wars 1 healer and smite-casting class, with it's elite spec being Ritualist.

• with the smite line, Monks could still do some solid DPS with the wand (scepter). It would be more viable in DPS than the Druid is. The Ritualist elite would not be healer focused, but spirit summoning focused - just as the old Canthan ritualist was, it would end up being able to hybrid heal, but mostly be DPS.

I don't think I will get it though.

But the only reason Monk was not included in the base Guild Wars 2 game was they didn't want healers, then they added Druid... which is even more of a healer than Monk was...

So it's time to put a core class back into the game.

• 6 months later...