Should We Get A Leak For New Cantha Class Specializations Right Now?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@keenedge.9675 said:In the past, Anet used to tell us about new things coming. Speculation was so crazy that they ( 'Mo' ) vowed they would never do it again. He said from now on, we will announce new things only when they are ready for delivery.That's... not exactly how it happened. No,scratch that, actually, it was far from how it really happened.

Still a potato, though.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Doggie.3184 said:Yes but kinda more worried than hyped. The life of a Thief. XD

other than worry, there's also disappointment (taking about balance patches: it's either we get nothing at all or we do get something but it doesn't really change anything -- which can also be good btw!)

I was worried about Deadeye and it pretty much ended up exactly as I feared, just Pistol/Pistol 2.0 with longer range instead of just fixing Pistols. Seems like it's rarely used nowadays and there's just too much clunkyness and missing synergies with other weapons for me to enjoy it in any mode after all the stealth changes/nerfs. :[ Daredevil is fun but a collossal mess on development before and after to get there. IDK why they struggle so much with this one specific class consistantly. Hoping for some real polish for once and 3rd times a charm.

I highly doubt any leak could be classified as a valuable piece of information because the developing team only started EoD recently. I am currently more interested into the fan made ideas about elite specs, some of them look very fun to play like the longbow Elementalist

@kharmin.7683 said:

@GW Noob.6038 said:I really couldn't care less about any new elite specializations. The only thing I'd be interested in seeing in a new expansion is a very large number of QoL improvements to the game.

While I agree that there are many, many improvements that need to be made, I don't think that an expansion is the correct vehicle to release them. /shrug

...and why not?

In my opinion....

...by definition, an "expansion" expands the current content. It ought to be new material. Making improvements to existing content is not expanding anything.

I'm very much the opposite personally, your character is the lense you see the world through. If the new elite specc for my class is boring it will 110% affect my ability to enjoy the expansion.

Ofcourse content is very important. But they both need to be as relevant as one another effectively.

Only if they even make new elite specs ... and if the engineer gets a good ranged one. I would have preferred the engineer (that already has a rifle) to get some sniper-rifle like type style of specialization. (Or maybe even a completely new weapon type for it.) Instead of making the thief a sniper-like guy. (Deadeye.)

Engineer is too melee focused and could get a ranged focused specialization. While other classes that have focus a lot on one type of range (if there are any other classes like this) could get also a bit different stuff. Some kind of golemancer spec would be nice as well though. (Instead of boring turrets. And as a pet-like mechanic similar to ranger. Where you could gather parts - simliar to ranger charming pets.)

Edit: Regarding ritualist, dervish, paragon: Actually I think a ton of those have partly been ingetraged into other classes. Spirits used by ranger - a bit simlar to ritualist. Paragon-style stuff maybe is a bit in guardian. (Shouts and stuff.) Don't know about the dervish. The engineer feels most different/new compared to GW1. (Thief has "assassin" stuff from GW1 I guess.)

Maybe the revenant was meant to be a bit dervish-like. Revenant channels some historic personalities and stuff ... while the dervish channeled gods (god/avatar-form as skills in GW1 and we see Amala using it as boss enemy in GW2).

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Also, what happened to Dervish and Paragon?I was so disappointed those two ES weren't added to Necro, or Thief = (being a med armour); and Guardian respectively.

Paragon would fit best with Warrior.Paragon is basically a ranged, more supportive Warrior.Giving Warrior Sceptre and making the skills spear throws would also make for a decent substitute of the Javelins Paragons used in GW1.Making Paragon a Warrior elite specialization would also enable Warrior to be support.

As For Dervish, it'd probably fit best for Elementalist, due to the Earth and Wind Prayers being related to Air and Earth Magic.Since Staff (which got most of the Scythe skins) already is available to Elementalist, it'd have to get either Hammer or Greatsword.Out of those two, Hammer probably would fit best as a substitute for the Scythe due to how the weapons are being held (if the collection weapon was scythe skin).Reaper shroud's Scythe also if categorized as a Hammer.

But I doubt we'll ever get to see either of them playable in GW2.

@"Luthan.5236" said:Spirits used by ranger - a bit simlar to ritualist.Ranger spirits in GW2 actually are closer to Ranger Spirits in GW1 than Ritualist Spirits.The closest thing to Ritualist Spirits we have Are Renegade summons.

Paragon-style stuff maybe is a bit in guardian. (Shouts and stuff.)For my opinion on Paragon, see above.Guardian is a weirdly stirred mix of (mostly protection) monk and negligible side dishes of Paragon, Dervish and Ritualist.Or, as a certain Asura in Seas of sorrows put it:It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training, wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha. A real grab bag of “you can’t hurt me”.

The engineer feels most different/new compared to GW1.As far as I know, Turrent Engineer was supposed to resemble the Spirit Ritualist gameplay.

Thief has "assassin" stuff from GW1 I guess.Yet they are nothing alike.Assassin was a great, non-Stealth take on the archetype.Thief more often than not just feels like a cheap stealth-runaway.

Maybe the revenant was meant to be a bit dervish-like. Revenant channels some historic personalities and stuff ... while the dervish channeled gods (god/avatar-form as skills in GW1 and we see Amala using it as boss enemy in GW2).It's really sad for me to see Dervishs constantly being reduced to nothing but the five Avatar skills, when these are no more than a fraction of one attribute.Dervishs are so much more.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:

@Biermeister.4678 said:I would like to see the Ritualist make a comeback in the game it would bring spirit back to the game

Oh. I see what you did there.Very clever.

Also, what happened to Dervish and Paragon?I was so disappointed those two ES weren't added to Necro, or Thief = (being a med armour); and Guardian respectively.Why ANet, why?You would be even more disappointed had they been added. Especs do not change enough of a base class to make justice to classes with their own separate feel.

You would not get a ritualist, dervish or paragon that way. You would get a necro, thief and guardian (or whatever core classes would be used as baseline) with some skills styled in the image of those GW1 classes.

Notice, btw, that we're currently still short of two medium hp classes (one with low, one with heavy armor), and one high hp medium armor one. That's because medium armor has no high-hp class currrently: thieves are low hp, while rangers and engineers are both medium hp. Which imbalances the 3x3 class setup.

I would have to think it will be soon given they haven't mentioned changing the release date. They mentioned some content in between the Saga and the expansion but I'm leaning towards thinking that's filler in between the summer festivals with the August/September lull being the expansion release.

I'm hoping since the trailer was extremely short for the upcoming episode there will be some reveal along with it, perhaps toward the end of the story mission. But they may save that for the in between content via Aurene and the Scrying Pool depending on what happens during the episode.

They've been really tight-lipped about it so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I feel like, despite their usual silence, if the had to delay the expansion for some reason beyond 2021 they'd announce it.

@Kichwas.7152 said:

@Kichwas.7152 said:I'm curious if we might get a new class. Not just new elite specs but a whole class. I suspect not but it would be nice if we did.

This would be great and give me a reason to actually buy another character slot. I would be more interested in this than just new elite specs.

What I want is basically:

Monk, as in the Guild Wars 1 healer and smite-casting class, with it's elite spec being Ritualist.
  • with the smite line, Monks could still do some solid DPS with the wand (scepter). It would be more viable in DPS than the Druid is. The Ritualist elite would not be healer focused, but spirit summoning focused - just as the old Canthan ritualist was, it would end up being able to hybrid heal, but mostly be DPS.

I don't think I will get it though.

But the only reason Monk was not included in the base Guild Wars 2 game was they didn't want healers, then they added Druid... which is even more of a healer than Monk was...

So it's time to put a core class back into the game.

I don't know that it's that far-fetched. I like the dual focus as fist weapons idea, I'm just not sure how that would work with people wielding two Minstrel's or Epos'.

We already have guards with similar abilities but I'm sure they could make it work if they wanted to.

Part of me also wonders if they could be going a different route and doing dual specializations or something. We had those shared/stolen abilities in WvW and we also had Rhytlock commenting about the shaman in Lake Doric saying "Doesn't anybody specialize anymore?" in regards to Logan I think saying, "I think he's both." A warrior and a shaman.

So if someone wanted to read into it that could be a hint, though I'd prefer elite specs I think.