Why repeat LW/expansion episodes on another character?

JeetyWeety.2948

After completing the Living World, main story, and expansion stories, is there any reason to do them on another character? You don't get any additional mastery points. I guess the main reason I do starting episodes is to give another character access to the HoT, PoF, and LW maps. Are there other reasons (besides that the story is really fun for some people)?

I don't mean to troll. I'm happy doing world map completion on many characters. I just don't find the LW and expansion stories all that fun a second time around.

@JeetyWeety.2948 said:After completing the Living World, main story, and expansion stories, is there any reason to do them on another character? You don't get any additional mastery points. I guess the main reason I do starting episodes is to give another character access to the HoT, PoF, and LW maps. Are there other reasons (besides that the story is really fun for some people)?

I don't mean to troll. I'm happy doing world map completion on many characters. I just don't find the LW and expansion stories all that fun a second time around.

I just clear the maps for the chances at black lion keys, the narratives to me once they are 100% done on acheivo's and so on really don't honestly have much of a draw to them.

You also get other rewards (including a gauranteed key in LS2). Sometimes you also have to do a story on multiple characters to unlock everything, but I think this is limited to the HoT and PoF stories and not featured in the LW episodes.

Also, some things are different depending on your race or class, like in "The Head of the Snake".

Additional quest rewards are a reason to replay the story on additional characters.

Notable things include, free Order weapon skin from PS, 2(3) BLC Keys from PS, free Pact weapon (Worth like 10-25g on TP) from PS, Bladed Helmet box from HoT, Viper/Grieving box from HoT, Broken Caladbolg from HoT, Map Currencies from LW4.

PoF kind of gives sucky rewards though, with the garbagy rare items...

PS also gives a ton of those blue bags of loot which have a good chance at containing Unidentified Dyes. While LW/Expansion content gives different bags of trash with their quests.

If you are hunting achievements, it may be necessary to repeat some stories to get them all. In some stories, it is impossible to get them on all on the first play through, as one may be something like 'kill all the guards' and another achievement might be 'sneak through the base without being noticed'.Those are fairly rare, but I find it lots of cases, it may be difficult to just complete certain achievements the first time through, just because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of a fight or the map or whatever.Unfortunately, for LWS2, many achievements are only possible if you re-play through a chapter with the SAME character. At least Anet got a clue, and that is no longer true for LWS3 and later. There are a bunch of LWS2 achievements I'll probably just never get because I don't feel like playing the same story over and over with the same character - at least for the other ones, I can see what the achievements are for, go for them, and if I miss, think 'maybe on the next character'.

I hate LW stories in GW2. I don't read them i don't listen to them, i don't care what they are about and most frustrating thing is i can't skip the endless dialogs! I understand that some younger players might like LW stories, but for us, players older than 30 years old there should be a possibility to at least skip a stupid endless dialogs. And killing hundreds of thousands of mobs all over again on my alts is not fun at all, it's frustrating and makes no sense. I only do the first part of LW storyline chapters, until i get to new map, then i quit the story and start another one until i unlock all HoT and PoF LW maps.Do we at least get some useful rewards for completing this nightmare?

I find it fun. I make up personalities and backstories for all my characters and tend to imagine how they'd react to different situations in addition to what's shown in the game, even imagining additional conversations with the other characters so even though what's in the game is largely the same each time I feel like it's a different experience for me. Also I space it out rather than running them all through one after the other, so it's often been long enough since the last time I did it that I don't remember it all.

I like finding the parts where the dialogue or options are different based on the character too, like when my norn engineer gets to remind Taimi that she knows a fair bit about mechanics too and prompt her for extra details on something they've discovered. Those details may not mean anything to me but I like that it's there anyway.

Also as other people have mentioned many of the rewards are repeatable and some can only be gotten that way or are easiest to get by running another character through the story. Finally I sometimes find an achievement is easier on a specific profession, but I don't like skipping my characters ahead in the story so it gives me more options if they've reached that point already.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished replaying LWS2 and started HoT on my Elementalist/Weaver recently, the benefits I'm seeing so far are:

1.) Getting XP for Masteries2.) Stocking up on more of the map currencies (Geodes, Bandit Crests, etc). This in turn means you can buy more collectables/armor you didn't get the first time around.3.) Unlock more armor looks, as the end of certain story chapters gives you a choice of Carapace and, later, Bladed gear.4.) And, of course, a refresher of the story. I did and still really dislike LWS2, but I'm trudging on through HoT because I want to try to make myself hate it a bit less. Don't know if it will be successful, however, as there still are many mandatory boss fights that feel extremely cheap even with cc abilities and proper dodging. (Thank the Six for "Retry at Checkpoint", which for a boss fight throws you right back mid-fight before the boss can regen!)

Because aside from raids (that are all easily cleared once a week) and fractals there's nothing else interesting for veterans anymore and you basically have nothing to do in the game.Also I do that because all my characters have backstories, personalities and their own developing story arcs and I simply like to let them experience the canon story individually. I also like to empathyze with my characters trying to feel what's happening as they'd feel. It's sort of roleplaying actually. I know, kind of weird for a guy to do that.As someone who played the personal story like a thousand times and still enjoys it I can say that I really love all the lore in the game and I love to pick up every little piece of it I can find.

@Sifu.9745 said:I hate LW stories in GW2. I don't read them i don't listen to them, i don't care what they are about and most frustrating thing is i can't skip the endless dialogs! I understand that some younger players might like LW stories, but for us, players older than 30 years old there should be a possibility to at least skip a stupid endless dialogs. And killing hundreds of thousands of mobs all over again on my alts is not fun at all, it's frustrating and makes no sense. I only do the first part of LW storyline chapters, until i get to new map, then i quit the story and start another one until i unlock all HoT and PoF LW maps.Do we at least get some useful rewards for completing this nightmare?

I am in this camp too. Can I skip the story and get the map please? To be fair, some episodes were really good. But the majority, are not.

@otto.5684 said:

@Sifu.9745 said:I hate LW stories in GW2. I don't read them i don't listen to them, i don't care what they are about and most frustrating thing is i can't skip the endless dialogs! I understand that some younger players might like LW stories, but for us, players older than 30 years old there should be a possibility to at least skip a stupid endless dialogs. And killing hundreds of thousands of mobs all over again on my alts is not fun at all, it's frustrating and makes no sense. I only do the first part of LW storyline chapters, until i get to new map, then i quit the story and start another one until i unlock all HoT and PoF LW maps.Do we at least get some useful rewards for completing this nightmare?

I am in this camp too. Can I skip the story and get the map please? To be fair, some episodes were really good. But the majority, are not.

Each map has a vendor that sells Portal Scrolls. Using a Portal Scroll will teleport you to the map even if you've not done the story to unlock it on that character.

They even conveniently come with a Portal Tome that can store all of the Scrolls for single inventory slot.

@Taril.8619 said:

Each map has a vendor that sells Portal Scrolls. Using a Portal Scroll will teleport you to the map even if you've not done the story to unlock it on that character.

They even conveniently come with a Portal Tome that can store all of the Scrolls for single inventory slot.

But you still have to go through it once. That is a waste of 10-15 minute, sometimes more. I know you do not have to do it on each character.

@JeetyWeety.2948 said:After completing the Living World, main story, and expansion stories, is there any reason to do them on another character? You don't get any additional mastery points. I guess the main reason I do starting episodes is to give another character access to the HoT, PoF, and LW maps. Are there other reasons (besides that the story is really fun for some people)?

Not really, aside from achievements, most of them have awful rewards and are not worth replaying at all.

The only exception is HoT's main storyline, since you get quite a few unique skins, saving you farming time on the maps.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:sometimes you get different dialogue depending on ordner or species. I like to see it all.

It is not only dialogue that might be different depending on race or order. After helping Quaggan I see more and more of these Quaggans in my Home Instance from Chapter V — Helping Hands — Level 50: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bad_Ice

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story (for all pathways in PS up to LW).

I am not sure if Home Instance get more and more NPCs from how far your progress in general (AP; XP, HP and Mastery). AP are after all something that will progress independent on character and will also increase from gaining more Mastery (as almost every step adds AP). There are more NPCs then from the link I found for what can add NPCs in HI.

Found this, so it adds NPCs from story parts and quest/achievement: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance#NPCs

For me it's a combination of the experience and the fight. I want the loot and exp at the end and it's a godsend for currency. But it's also the fights. As a main ranger I play a certain way. To move to a Mesmer or a thief or even a guardian it's a different style. Plus I know the HoT stories affect Sylvari characters in the form the we start to be affected by Mordremouth. Or how Char on the Drizzle wood are members of the warband we put together in our ps. Even thou the dialogue was not there the shock of seeing some of the names pulled my heartstrings playing with my Char.

• 4 weeks later...

Some content and achievements are easier or more challenging to complete on other characters. Sometime chapters had branching paths so you have the option to choose something different. Sometimes you may want a reward from a vendor on one of those maps and it will go faster by farming map currency on multiple alts. (common things people go for are ascended trinkets and back items) Your skill level might have increased and you may want to play through it again. Some chapters award a black lion chest key (you can only get this once a week per account I think. But it's enough of a draw that people make throw away alts just for that.)I haven't done this for every story chapter because I have so many alts I lose track but it is something I think about.