Guild Wars 2

slntne.9364

I like this game till I reached 80 and got Path of Fire now I die every time I have to fight the forge. I liked the way I could solo up till I got Path of Fire. The idea to have something to aim at per map in order to help level was a good idea, but now that I'm at level 80 and can't proceed further (stuck at gathering intel at camps part) I'm going to stop playing. I should have stuck with the free mode. I like the idea of using mounts but not having to party all the time to complete a story. I would say stick with free unless a person likes to party a story or is able to solo the expansions. I'm going back to studying books at least it isn't frustrating.

There is a big jump in difficulty between the core areas and the expansions. If you haven't already, you can go back to the core areas and do map completion and other core-achievements, as a way to further hone your player skills, now that you have a max character.

Perhaps we can offer some suggestions if you share some more. What profession, weapons, gear, build are you using?

Also, if you are wanting to team up with someone, like for mentoring in-game, share whether you are NA or UE.

@slntne.9364 said:I like this game till I reached 80 and got Path of Fire now I die every time I have to fight the forge. I liked the way I could solo up till I got Path of Fire. The idea to have something to aim at per map in order to help level was a good idea, but now that I'm at level 80 and can't proceed further (stuck at gathering intel at camps part) I'm going to stop playing. I should have stuck with the free mode. I like the idea of using mounts but not having to party all the time to complete a story. I would say stick with free unless a person likes to party a story or is able to solo the expansions. I'm going back to studying books at least it isn't frustrating.

You might consider asking for help on builds and strategy. There are no hard rules on what a class can or can't be (i.e. tank/healer/dps) here. However, that free-form build system can be difficult for new players to wrap their heads around. Further, with action combat there is more of an emphasis on the tradeoff between dealing damage and passively soaking damage. This is something most new players struggle with as often being too tanky with too little damage will actually make fights more difficult to survive than they need to be. You can build for great damage with excellent sustain if you know how, however.

Maybe you should try us? We might be able to help you figure out a build that lets you progress your story comfortably and without being forced to party up.

@slntne.9364 said:I like this game till I reached 80 and got Path of Fire now I die every time I have to fight the forge. I liked the way I could solo up till I got Path of Fire. The idea to have something to aim at per map in order to help level was a good idea, but now that I'm at level 80 and can't proceed further (stuck at gathering intel at camps part) I'm going to stop playing. I should have stuck with the free mode. I like the idea of using mounts but not having to party all the time to complete a story. I would say stick with free unless a person likes to party a story or is able to solo the expansions. I'm going back to studying books at least it isn't frustrating.

I get your frustration, as there is a bit of a difficulty leap from core Tyria into the expansions, but I don't believe this is the right attitude to have. You should see this as an opportunity to improve your skills and understanding of the game so you can continue to solo world and story content. You'll be glad you did should you decide to move onto grouped content like fractals, etc.

Learn the game first in Core "Free" zones. Master your class all their skills and understand fully the User Interface. Start looking at tells from the entities that you are engaging. This will help you time your dodges. Don't be afraid to try another class you may find that it suites you better. Don't get me wrong mounts are great but they aid you in skipping content that you need when you are a new player to gain experience. I am not talking about experience for your character I'm talking about the ability to play the game/your class properly and become more skilled as a gamer playing this game.

I think this game especially for new players or players coming back to the game after a long time has a bunch of people who want to start at the finish line and then get frustrated because things are more complex/hard or people do not know what to do because of not properly growing into the game. Treat this game like a marathon not a 50 yard dash. Take your time and enjoy the content don't rush through it. So you can get a really good understanding of how this game is. You don't want to be the person who is getting berated/abused/kicked by vets in a strike,fractal, or raid because you rushed so quick to end game and now you don't understand what it is your doing wrong. I am not saying I condone this behavior it just happens more time then not.

Just make a dead easy character, boost it up to 80, and see if your opinion changes. I'd recommend power daredevil with invigorating precision. You'll cut through mobs like a lawnmower and be filling up your health bar almost as fast as it drops. Once you get decent gear, you'll also be doing better dps than everyone else 90% of the time. You'll be able to give yourself ~30 uninterrupted seconds of stealth, and have huge mobility skills.

Necro is supposed to be a great solo profession as well. But I've never tried it personally.

Here's the staff daredevil template. Just change "no quarter" for "invigorating precision." It's such an ezmode build.

https://discretize.eu/builds/thief/power-daredevil

@"Fallesafe.5932" said:Just make a dead easy character, boost it up to 80, and see if your opinion changes. I'd recommend power daredevil with invigorating precision. You'll cut through mobs like a lawnmower and be filling up your health bar almost as fast as it drops. Once you get decent gear, you'll also be doing better dps than everyone else 90% of the time. You'll be able to give yourself ~30 uninterrupted seconds of stealth, and have huge mobility skills.

Necro is supposed to be a great solo profession as well. But I've never tried it personally.

Here's the staff daredevil template. Just change "no quarter" for "invigorating precision." It's such an ezmode build.

https://discretize.eu/builds/thief/power-daredevil

That's pretty tough advice for a new player to follow. If they are having trouble just getting around in the expansions, unlocking an elite is going to be mighty frustrating. Not saying there are not those who would have no trouble, but this person made an "I die every time" post. Plus the gear, 24g alone for 6 scholar runes, pretty steep for a newbie. Sure there are alternatives, but do they understand that?

Better to set that as a goal and give them something to run right now?

@DeanBB.4268 said:

@"Fallesafe.5932" said:Just make a dead easy character, boost it up to 80, and see if your opinion changes. I'd recommend power daredevil with invigorating precision. You'll cut through mobs like a lawnmower and be filling up your health bar almost as fast as it drops. Once you get decent gear, you'll also be doing better dps than everyone else 90% of the time. You'll be able to give yourself ~30 uninterrupted seconds of stealth, and have huge mobility skills.

That's pretty tough advice for a new player to follow. If they are having trouble just getting around in the expansions, unlocking an elite is going to be mighty frustrating. Not saying there are not those who would have no trouble, but this person made an "I die every time" post. Plus the gear, 24g alone for 6 scholar runes, pretty steep for a newbie. Sure there are alternatives, but do they understand that?

Better to set that as a goal and give them something to run right now?

Maybe so. It's just a thought. I don't think following a HoT train around for three hours for an elite spec would be terribly hard. It would probably be a lot of fun and a great change of pace for someone who ground up to 80 solo. Power daredevil is just one suggestion. The main thing is to get outside the limitations of the core professions. And the gear (of course) is always a process that takes time.

I finished all the stories solo, even with various classes from light to heavy. So it can be done. I am also pretty sure I am not the only one who managed this.

@"slntne.9364"Can u show us what build and class ur using and wich stats(stats should not matter much for open world stuff ), we can assist u in that area.As much i dont play pve, i dont have all the mounts but ive completed or close to complete all main story, and ive nerver noticed that much where mounts are mandatory for "action X",The Sand dog(chackal) was my limit to aquire mounts, imagine it as a big questline from more a traditional mmo perspective.

if u need to check some builds u can use~.: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ then generate link.

@Mortifera.6138 said:You’re not “stuck at level 80”, you have to level masteries too.

It sounds like he skipped that part and went straight to PoF. I find it very helpful to have Nuhoch Stealth Detection in PoF maps so I can still see those snipers and other foes that use stealth. Without that HoT mastery getting pelted by multiple Forged snipers you cannot see or attack would be a real nightmare.

@"Kichwas.7152" said:Every single last MMO I have ever played always has at least one post on the first page or two of it's general forums from someone who thought they were buying Skyrim 2 and didn't realize it was a multiplayer game...

I never finished Oblivion or Skyrim, so I would say it is "easier" to actually learn this game when you start to use the tools there is around this game as there plenty of guide on YT, Twitch and with GW2 Wiki to explain how traits and skills work. Everything takes time and when one jumps into a new map it can be confusing, but over time one learn which path enemies takes or spawn. When one need to back down (as there are some mobs that fast can become too many to handle when one is solo or that there are harder enemies that suddenly spawn around mobs that one started to fight). Backing down doesn't mean you can not kill those groups, just that one need to adjust and adopt.

@"slntne.9364"

First make sure that you have your key binding set up in way that can fast reach all your skills like F1-F5 (as those are your professional skills and on most key board placed too far from normal skills). You find those in Option>Controls. I change my key bindings depending on what profession I play most as some F1-F5 work in different ways and some skills are more used then other and need to be accessed fast. Elite skills had a very long cooldown (120 - 180 seconds) in core, but with HoT and later with PoF those that where added with each expansion have now become on a much shorter cooldown (from 5 seconds to 60 seconds; there are some under 120 seconds too, but I don't see those as "normal" cooldown skills that you will use that often as 60 seconds or less) which means you will want them to be close as possible.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elite_skill (show all professions elite skills)

Change your camera so you can see all of your battle field. Settings like FoV (Field of View) is here important as if you are in first person mode, you will not see enemies that are at your back, have ranged attacks or if they spawn around you and you need to get some distance.

The Forged are based around the God Balthazar which is a fire God and his army make use of a lot of fire damage that are ranged. They move fast from one corner to another and some have knock down effect (CC - Crowd control), so you will want to get out of their path when you see them turn after some delay. Here teleport skills or dodge work well enough.

The most important here is (A) get in close if you play a melee character which have most skills that are short ranged to do damage and use teleport skills (if you have those) - don't forget some weapon that are melee weapon also have teleport skills built into them. On ranged character you often find built in knock back or backward jump. (B) make sure that you remove condition on yourself. Sigil of Cleansing which put on weapon cleanse 3 condition each weapon swap on a 9 seconds cooldown. Different profession might have skills that you need to activate to get a "on swap" when you are in combat as your weapon set will be locked until you will get out of combat. There skills and traits that also do condition removal. If you are blinded, chilled or have immobilization on you those can be cleansed. If you are stunned, dazed or knocked down (all those are hard CC) then you can use a stun breaker to interrupt those or clear those. Immob can also be removed with stun break as immob are both a condition AND soft CC. Some traits also remove immob while giving or adding more mobility like a permanent 25 % speed increase for movement. Don't forget to look into runes and sigil on wiki to find something that work for you. Boon like Resistance and Stability are good to reduce the impact of these type of effects from both hard and soft CC including damage from conditions damage among other.

As an example if you fight Fire Hydra place yourself in the centre of this creature and try to stay there when they move. Look out for their heads (two heads) that will fall around the main Hydra. Use condition cleanse if you get burn ticking on you (red icon to right of health pool and above utility skills). Avoid their paths when they move as they have a very straight movement forward and then stops. If you get in the way you will knocked down which have long animation before you are back up and can use your skills. You can shorten this animation with a stun break, but it is not recommended as stun breaks in general tend to have a long cooldown. Look out for those two heads, but ignore them until you have killed the main body of Hydra.

The real danger here isn't Hydra by itself, but the combination of Sand Sharks and other Hydra that might cross path and become aggroed (hostile). Avoiding getting knocked down and take ranged AoE damage (fire) is the main goal while doing enough damage from condition (condition damage) or direct damage (power based).

You can use the same strategy for Jinn that often is a bit annoying when do go from one end to next, but are only really dangerous as a group as you have limited amount dodges, CC, condition cleans and also need to slowly chip away their health while they are standing still on ground (phase that some bosses have where they take most damage).

If you have been playing in Orr you will recognize Fire Hydra Heads as those that instead are in oil (short range breathing fire) or those west of Orr.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fire_Hydra_Head

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elite_Fire_Hydra

Make sure you have enough Vitality to live enough to get a heal or condition removal. Bersker attribute is strong, but is not a good option when you run solo or don't know what people around run with. In group you will have boons that lack as solo and in a party, squad as grouped, you will have higher priority for who gets boons. Also learn how combo fields work as some fields increase damage like AoE fire fields and other cleanse condition like light fields. You can read more about this if you look at the link down and follow it for combo fields.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Light_field

I would suggest that you first fully level up your Mastery in Core Tyria as will then get access to autoloot from fallen enemies (enable it in Option). Also look up how get at least basic Gliding as that also useful while you are working on your mounts in PoF. You will need HoT for Gliding, but everywhere you will go after PoF including Icebrood will expect that you have at least Gliding and Bouncing Mushrooms (it will get your higher up and even when you Springer, you will sometimes have a cooldown or be in combat and can not use a mount to get higher up when needed). Also get Counter Magic as it is needed for Special Action key which you set in Option>Controls. Make sure this a key bind which you can use fast when this is needed.

Pact Mentor make it possible to put up a "tag" or badge (icon that show above your head and on both minimap and normal map), so when you need help people can find where you are on map. They can not use this tag to join you as a group (a feature only commander tag offer). Make sure to hold shift and click on closest point of interest (POI) that you have unlocked (that is way map completion is important to finish the first time you get to a new map ff you want to show on map with shift+ left click where you are located or where you want people to go). All Waypoint can also be short+Left clicked after they have been unlocked/found. This is useful when you need a group of player to start at the same place or pick up Bounty.

Use filter in chat this to see when people are doing events or need help like I described above with a chat link created from [shift + left clinking] map objects like POI, Vista or WP. Don't forget that can use /wiki and create a chat link [shift + left click on item in inventory, bank etc] to get direct to GW2 wiki.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chat_panel

Links here are organised after colour/main track.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Central_Tyria_mastery_tracks (red)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact_Mentor (red) ->https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mentoring_Badgehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Counter_Magic (red)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Thorns_mastery_tracks (green)

Level Gliding up to Stealth from dodge when you are Gliding as it is useful when you will be in Icebrood maps.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth_Gliding (green)

And as people already have mentioned, stealth, some invulnerability, blocks (that isn't from Aegis boon, but from skills) etc also reduce how you will take damage and be able to heal up or loose aggro. Use BuildEditor to see what changes will have for impact. Just remember there are some things that can not be shown like the impact of a Sigil of Force and so on. It is good start to try out how changes in trait will impact skills, what impact it will have on both boons, condition and CC (Gray symbols to the right on button line). Hover with mouse and you see all boons source and duration, same for condition if you have skills that do condition. Just don't forget that there is a difference for skills and traits when you change between PvE and WvW/PvP in BE and when you check on GW2 wiki (you have change icon for which game mode to show correct information). There are cooldown that work different depending on game mode, duration and coefficients (base damage that attribute from that is the sum from gear, trinkets and weapon are being used to calculate finale damage).

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

As for getting gear or trinkets. You can buy gear for Karma in Orr (from NPC vendors) or use Badge of Honor (token from doing WvW) as some example where don't need Gold or less Gold. Just be aware that those can not be salvaged later and you can not remove any upgrades like Runes, Sigil or Infusion. There maps like Bloodstone Fen (HoT) where you can get trinkets from map token. In PoF you Dragonfall where you can get trinkets. Look up on wiki if you want to find out which maps that have trinkets that are purchased with token form doing map events.

Good luck!

Ps Don't forget to feed this Skritt with Shinies.... ;) Ds

@"slntne.9364"

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options

Forgot to add that you should also consider to change to "Show All Enemy Names" in Options so you will see where all hostile targets are while fighting and when there is new hostile that spawns around your target.

Uncheck "Double-Tap to Evade" as you will want to use one key and ONLY one key press to dodge, default [V]. Double Tap here will make of use two key press (from movement keys that are set) to signal that want to do a dodge instead of moving and this will take some few second more time then only one key press will do. Use a key that is fast and easy to reach as you will dodge a lot, either to avoid damage or to procs a trait that will trigger from doing a dodge.

In Ground Targeting (for AoE and skills that have any type of teleportation) use Instant instead of those two other options which one is the default to first show a large circle on ground and then need to be confirmed with second press on LMB (attack). With Instant you will go directly to where mouse pointer are on screen or where your central point in Action Camera are pointing. If you use a teleport skill this will teleport you directly to where you want to go instead of needing a second press to confirm and for AoE this will use all AoE that are not point blank skills (meaning those skill that will be directly on you where you stand) at target if you use Action Camera or at mouse location. This cut down time that is important for using skills, in particular on NPCs that move a lot.

Also look up and learn about Take Target and Call Target. Call Target will place a large red icon on target which make it easier to see where target are among players and mobs and can be used to re-focus on target if you need to kill adds or mobs before getting back to target. You need to key bind both in Option>Controls to make use of those while in combat. Also use "Lock Autotarget" in Controls to clear any target you might have that you don't want to kill or player that you might have focused your targeting on. You only need one of Next or Nearest Target to change targets and there is no need to have back and forth between targets as in most cases you will not have time circle through targets (better to use the "reset" from Lock Autotarget).

Call Target is useful when also want to see what abilities or skill a boss make use of and on Bounty bosses you will need to see what Unstable Magic icons (one offensive and one defensive - both a blue) and in text what this boss can do and what you need to do to kill this boss. If a boss have phases you will need to move according to phase (look on ground and arrows) or stop do damage (reflect projectiles, if that is an effect from UM). With Take Target you will be able to read this information, even when boss moves a lot or you loose track where boss are (only Stealth will loos targeting from Take Target). When you learn how to use Take Target (and Call Target) you will have a much easier time also in PvE. Most PvE don't understand how to use this feature, if they run solo as most groups (squads) make use of this to tell people where to focus. It is also useful if you want someone to use repair or point to a NPC when you are in a party or squad (need to be grouped for other to see this), if they don't know where to look.

There will also be in chat a message for what you have target this way, so if you miss what was Called out then you can see it there too.

LT;DR

Take Target is useful even when you are only playing solo as it make it fast to get back to main target when you fight another target. Make it possible to see a big icon above your main target (until it is dead or you are getting out of range) and also make it possible read both icons and text for name tag on boss or check its Defiant bar. Dodge with only one dedicated key press is faster then a combination from movement keys where you need to be careful NOT to use up your dodges (two before it will back on full bar - 50% each bar).

Instant cast without any green rings that first need to mark and then need to be activated (confirm) is much faster, but takes time to learn where AoE skill will be placed or where you will land when you use a teleport skill.

And if you still have trouble use chat with /m for map chat channel and look if there are people doing events on map or even call out that you want to do something and see if there are other waiting or wanting do the same thing. There is nothing stopping you from playing solo or taking help of player that are already on map when you need it to progress.

Just make sure you have exotic gear and weapon with attributes that work together like power or condition damage on all items in Hero Panel. Don't mix condition damage with Power as you will need around 1000 or more in Condition Damage to see real impact (this also depends on professions type of main condition, like Firebrand have burn damage which is a "fast" condition type vs Torment or Confusion where target need to use skills or move a lot to do enough damage to themselves).

Get ascended trinkets and back pack also with focus on condition damage or power as main damage type with some Vitality (Toughness work as a taunt for hostile enemies in this game, so I will not recommend this increase this attribute too much). Getting ascended trinkets and backpack with map token is rather easy and you can always change ascended items to another character on account. Vitality increases the time you have to use condition cleanse or healing up. It will not make you make you a "tank" to have more HP like some other games where armour, Toughness and Vitality or size of Health Pool also impact skills. Here Vitality only will buy you some more "time" instead which is valuable when you fight both The Forged and Awakened (these have poison damage and other undead related damage type like Bleeding).

Friend, I understand your frustration but I think that you are either very young , or just not that talented gamer. You might like playing games but you are probably not good at them (sorry for making this assumption, but it is first thing that comes to mind after reading your post of frustration).Guild Wars 2, contrary to what people might say, is not an easy MMO to get into. It requires much more active input from a player then most of other flagship MMO's simply because all most of your character defences are active and you have to use them in good moment. Some encounters even have a Dark Souls rhythm to them where you need to evade and block attacks until you see an opportunity to use your most adequate attack or combo.

So you will need to get good, work on your reflexes, perception and muscle memory and you will see that GW2 has a most rewarding combat system on the market (in my opinion).

Another important consideration is that new players often fall into the 'max dps' trap. The best thing a new player can do is 1) use defensive food and utilities at all Times (costs practically nothing). And 2) put some stats and skills into defense. This stabilises the fight for you and you lose the frustration. Now you can tweak and become more aggressive as your skulls rise.