Why so many new glider skins?

Clyan.1593

I have the griffon and skyscale and I still use the glider regularly. If you're just going a short distance, specifically wanting to drop down (but in a controlled descent), in combat when you go over the edge or in a place where mounts are disabled or don't fit then the glider is the better choice. Then there's places with leylines and updrafts, Bloodstone Fen where you get special skills while gliding.

There's also a lot of people who don't have either of the flying mounts. Only 47% of accounts registered on GW2 Efficiency have completed the 'Open Skies: On a Wing and a Prayer' achievement necessary to unlock the griffon and only 27% have completed 'Riding Skyscales' for the skyscale. And that's among players who use GW2 Efficiency, likely to be more hardcore players interested in using the site to track what they've done or compare their account to others, there will be huge numbers of more casual players who aren't registered there.

But ultimately I suspect the reason Anet makes so many glider skins is because players buy them. Whether they're using them enough to justify that is a separate question and one each person needs to answer for themselves. Even if they're not using it much they might still think it's worth getting skins to suit their characters when they do use it.

A lot of people like the backpack items for FashionWars2 reasons, so ArenaNet might figure they can convince people to bite the bullet and buy the glider bundle for a bit of extra revenue. The glider also does still have its uses in no-mount zones and during metas where all you need to do during certain stages is hop into an updraft or glide down to the next platform.

..but they should still make more mount skins and maybe reconsider the randomized nature of how you complete a set of them.

@Clyan.1593 said:Isn't the glider kinda outdated? How often do you actually use the gilder compared to the mounts which are by far more superior.Just saying, I think adding new skins for something else would make more sense imo.

@"Danikat.8537" and some poster after that have explained what use there is with having a Glider and skin. In WvW Gliding is actually very useful to get fast down from one of the main keeps to ground as long you keep your eyes to not get into no-gliding zone where you will be forced drop down and take damage from attacking birds.

In Icebrood maps like DWC you can combine stealth from gliding (dodge) while in air with mounts stealth to avoid those long range shooters. There are also a lot places in Tyria map where just want to jump down without taking fall damage (pre-gliding and before there where mounts we had dedicated fall damage traits to reduce damage from falling). In DCW when you have taken a camp, you can also use the blue spots to parachute (which reduce speed that you will fall down) and then enable gliding to correct where to land and reduce speed (combined with stealth when needed to avoid getting targeted by snipers).

Gliding also make it possible to change mounts in air between mount-gliding (to transform from Bound of Faith) and then enable another flying mount in air. There is a lot uses for Gliding even when one have all mounts that can fly (including Jackal as it can land without getting killed).

As for skins, I once bought a skin where my character where inside it like a big bird, but it turned out be very hard to see where landed. This where annoying when need to be precise with landing during JP. Not everything with Glider skins is about FashionWars, it can also be that you discover that some skin work in another way then you expected before you purchased it.

To end this: mounts have their uses, can be changed with skins (my Skimmer is Colibri that have learnt to catch fish under water... ;-) ) and some Glider just fit better with your characters back piece or how you want it to work (different animation, more clear landing when you land on ground or better sight while you are in first person in air etc. Monts skin are the same as those also might change movement in AFK waiting for an event etc. can be easier use as size change with character models which can also have an impact on your mount and what skin that work better.

PS: If you know how to combine Skyscale and Gliding in Dry Top then here are places where mounts will be disabled, but you can Glide down to platform that are high in the air, so there are plenty of uses if you really use all you have in game for upgrades of both. There are pathways (VM motes and UM on other maps) in air for Skyscale to actually get high up fast and with Gliding you can land on those place even when there is no-mount zones. In Bloodstone Fen you can combo all this and have much more freedom to navigate up and down then with "only" gliding and those extra skills that you have on that map. HoT maps where designed for gliding, so there are several reason why Gliding skins are popular. DS

Fun stuff to do with gliders:

If you're on a ledge being attacked and don't want to bother fighting, you can jump off and glide away laughing.If you're running down a slope, you can jump and hit glide to 'sled' your way down. An entertaining way to move.If you climb your Skyscale up the Broken Spits you can fly toward the Vizier's Tower, and when you hit the no-mount zone, glide the rest of the way to land with ease and bypass the JP.If you want to drop a long way straight down, you can just tap the glider from time to time to keep from splatting on the ground. Faster and less clunky than descending mounted.In Siren's Cove you can glide forever on endless updrafts at the temple of Dwayna.Updrafts, anywhere.

I would miss the gliders a lot if they were gone.

@Clyan.1593 said:Isn't the glider kinda outdated? How often do you actually use the gilder compared to the mounts which are by far more superior.Just saying, I think adding new skins for something else would make more sense imo.

That's like saying they should grey out and give no experience to people who are well above the level range of the area they are in making it useless to go back for any old or new reason. In newer content gliding areas give updrafts. and ley lines that can get you to places mounts cannot. Gliding even has a few seconds of stealth you can use to throw off the enemy. Of course if your are a player that thought HoT was too hard and skipped it then you did not learn much from the design, which the GW2 world is 3D

I use the glider all the time, and I also have the Griffon flying mount.

I'm still waiting for one to be released that I like enough to buy. So I do hope they still make them.

I don't like back pieces because I like just carrying my great sword, and it just get's too messy. So, I am waiting for the day that Anet makes DYABLE dragon wings that look similar to the Crystalline Dragon Wings ( size, shape and semi transparent look) without a back piece and a cool "materialization" affect when deployed, without the flapping while gliding animation but with the nice wind turbulence animation like the Crystalline Dragon Wings.

Spirit Dragon Wings, that is what I am waiting for.