Is your character you?

@Leo.3428 said:

If i understand what alter ego means, then if someone insults your characters appearance, you will just roleplay how your character would react to that. Huh. How you can take that personally is beyond me.

You are mixing up two people. True that we all have the same avatar since we can't customize it.

Well, shit...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not. My Main is a well composed, intelligent and compasionless necromancer with a love for experimentation. She is a Noble woman who is extremely attractive and fits the whole femfatal trope pretty well. She's only an ally of the Pact and Tyria because she's lives there. If there wasn't a Constant state of war she'd likely be a Cutthroat politician.

She is not me at all. She's bloodthirsty and cold. I'm quite a warm person. I just play her like that because I struggle to believe a character who murders random animals for life force as anything but a cold sociopath.

She's on the right side because its convenient for her. I'm not a hot cherry black haired glowing green eyed necromancer.

I'm a rather ditzy girl in real life. Much more prone to cry if I upset someone or accidentally hurt an animal than be anywhere near as cold as her.

@Lily.1935 said:Absolutely not. My Main is a well composed, intelligent and compasionless necromancer with a love for experimentation. She is a Noble woman who is extremely attractive and fits the whole femfatal trope pretty well. She's only an ally of the Pact and Tyria because she's lives there. If there wasn't a Constant state of war she'd likely be a Cutthroat politician.

She is not me at all. She's bloodthirsty and cold. I'm quite a warm person. I just play her like that because I struggle to believe a character who murders random animals for life force as anything but a cold sociopath.

She's on the right side because its convenient for her. I'm not a hot cherry black haired glowing green eyed necromancer.

I'm a rather ditzy girl in real life. Much more prone to cry if I upset someone or accidentally hurt an animal than be anywhere near as cold as her.

That's cool. I once considered making a similar kind of character (attractive and capable of being quite charming but utterly ruthless and only interested in her own goals) but gave up on it because I wasn't sure her personality would really come through in the game, and without that I didn't think she'd be distinct enough from my other characters or much fun to play.

Completely no. I've never understood the concept of "a character has to look like me in order for me to relate to them." I'm certainly not a 5'2 plant person (unless I get attacked by a woodchipper on Halloween), and the choices that I make in-game certainly have nothing to do with what I would do in real-life. I'm here to experience a story and have a good time, not re-invent my life by proxy.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Lily.1935 said:Absolutely not. My Main is a well composed, intelligent and compasionless necromancer with a love for experimentation. She is a Noble woman who is extremely attractive and fits the whole femfatal trope pretty well. She's only an ally of the Pact and Tyria because she's lives there. If there wasn't a Constant state of war she'd likely be a Cutthroat politician.

That's cool. I once considered making a similar kind of character (attractive and capable of being quite charming but utterly ruthless and only interested in her own goals) but gave up on it because I wasn't sure her personality would really come through in the game, and without that I didn't think she'd be distinct enough from my other characters or much fun to play.

I like the roleplay of it. Lets me get into the character's head when I'm playing them. All my characters are like this. The other's aren't Sociopaths just her.

Nope. Not at all. All my characters of all MMOs and RPGs have a backstory and a full developed psyche. My Guild Wars: Prophecies main warrior tank has now a 124 pages story. Followed by my SWTOR smuggler with a 58 pages story and my Star Trek Online Federation Fleet Admiral with a 34 pages story. And I have an entire trilogy of 400+ pages of my own Fallout story. So... No, they are not me. I'm the player, they are characters that I play with. Like Geralt or Link.

My characters are not me. I am very clear about that since this is to me just a game.They are characters I play, whereas in a virtual world I would identify to some extend with my character (even if non-human ones)

For characters in any virtual setting (being it a game or a virtual world) to be a reflection of me, they need to give me way more control over them.

Whereas in a Virtual World, I control what my character looks like to detail, and personalize it beyond copyable and can even personally alter the animations... In this game I have extremely limited control

Furthermore, most of my characters are female, while I am a male, whereas in VWs my characters are always, I mean ALWAYS male.

To explain:Guild Wars 2 is a game. With set goals, enviroments and things one can/needs to do to progressVirtual World: basically a blank canvas, no goals, but you make it what you want... prime example (but not limited to) second life etc.

Ps. My characters are Female for a very simple reason: I find male fashion in this game unbearable to look at.

Something strange I noticed: I completed each of the non-living world stories on different characters. My elementalist did the core game story, revenant did the HoT expansion story and warrior completed the PoF expansion story. It looks like I will probably use a different character also to complete the upcoming End of Dragons expansion story too. I guess I just like playing lots of alts to keep things interesting for me. =)